Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
csuhockey3

Default What's in a name?

So I was hopping around the Member List and was astonished to see 2229 registered members! What’s more shocking is how many of these nice folks have never contributed to the forum. So I’m going to start a meet-n-greet of sorts. For many people, the member name/avatar they choose gives much insight to who that person is, while others are a bit difficult to decipher or non-descript. My thought was to create a thread where you can explain (quickly) who you are and your connection to the lake (I'm not sure if we have done this here before). For example:

My user name is CSUhockey3; I played hockey for Colorado State and my number was 3 (I have since graduated). I live in Loveland, Colorado but my Folks live in Meredith.

My hope is that we have a fun thread and some strangers can get their feet wet with a first post. Here’s to a great boating season everybody!

Update: don't forget to place a pin on the map!

Last edited by csuhockey3; 06-11-2007 at 02:30 AM.
csuhockey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
dpg

Yes, this has been done before (I think I even started something like this once) but anyways, let me be the first to bite. DPG are my initials (well, technically I do not have a middle name) I'm DG and my son is DPG (close enough) I currently own an undeveloped lot in Moultonborough however my folks own in Moultonborough which I have been lucky enough to use for years. I do hope to move to the area someday after retirement at least 3/4 of the year and maybe go to warmer climates for the winter months. Next???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
abay

abay ..... my summer season home is where else, but Alton Bay.
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
hockeypuck

hockeypuck played high school hockey in CT and some amature hockey. Coached high school hockey for twenty years. Retired from teaching high school chemistry last year. First came to Paugus Bay 59 years ago and haven't missed a year. My father's uncle was one of the first land owners on Paugus Park. They would tent there during the summer, until the camp was built. I frequent the lake five or six times a year to vacation with family and fish. There's something about this lake, my kids and grandkids are also hooked on the lake.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Rose

Default Rose

Rose is the nickname given to me by my friends from high school. We were headed to the Cape for vacation, and I was driving, swearing like a sailor most of the way at the other drivers. One of my friends piped up, "Oh, she's like a rose...like a delicate flower." And so they started calling me Rose (or sometimes Rosie or Rosebud). My mother even became Mrs. Rose.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Island Girl

Talking Island Girl

I hang out on Rattlesnake Island every chance I get at least 100 days per year. My schtick is taking pictures for PhotoPost, hosting Snake Eyes and the Ice-in/Ice-Out pages and the Lakecams pages.... all with the generous contribution of webspace by winni.com.

I came to Winnipesaukee after buying an old boat from my boss and renting a friend's island property for two weeks in 1999. The late Island Guy and I bought a little camp on the broadside of the island... and I cannot not get enough... it never gets old!

I am also one of the original Babes on Sleds... I am sure the others will check in here.

I read this forum daily... sometimes much more than daily.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Some members might think my avatar and name speaks for itself.Actually,this is the name of my water thrusting,badass PWC.Grew up in Manchester NH.First came to the lake in 1960 as a little ankle biter.We would stay at my uncles camp by the Kona farm.I've been spending weekends at the lake for the last 25 years I guess,mostly using my friends.Hey,what are friends for?I spend most days on the lake heading to different friends places to bother them.Right Seaplane?Most of us end up by Timber Island rafting on a classic Winni summer day.It's so tough having to do this all summer.What a fun thread!Great to hear other peoples connection to our WWW:the Wonderfull World of Winni.We must thank the great webmaster Don for this fantastic site!

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 04-26-2007 at 01:51 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
islandAl

Default combo

Own an island and first name Al.
Family started on Winni. when my folks visited friends on nearby island and they remarked, "why don't you buy that place, it's for sale."
Dad did, Thanks Dad. That was 60 years ago. Sure has changed a lot. Mostly new folks building and several of the same families still carry on the tradition. Now training the grandkids in the joys of island living, Opening and closing, cleanup and so forth. Soon they will be old enough to actually do some of it.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
jeffk

Default jeffk

My avatar is one of the standard ones that surprisingly, at least I think, looks somewhat like me, brown hair, beard.

My last name is Polish, long, and, according to many, somewhat difficult to pronounce. I was one of the only people in my high school gym classes that was called by my first name (most coaches used only last names back then). Most people trying to call attendance would go "Jeff"......and start spelling "K...", and I would say "here". So it sounded like my name was "Jeff K". I noticed that "jeffk" is often not taken when registering online in different places and started using it. My car license plate is also JEFF-K.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Smith Cove 1

Been at the lake my whole life (49 years first week of may).
Thanks to my grandparents, my folks had a place to stay, then I came along and my folks inherited the place.
In years gone by I purchased my own place, and since then married a girl that I met on the lake.
We sold that place and now are very happy hanging out in Smith Cove.
Also a contributer to the web cam Gang. Yup you guessed it (Smith Cove Cam)
Cheers to a great summer!!!
Smith Cove 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Sunset Bob

Kind of speaks for it self My name is Bob and I have a place on Sunset Lake (passed down from my parents)They met there when my farther was building the camp.I also keep a boat at Parker Marine in Alton Bay
My parents told me that I was 3 weeks old the first time I came up to the lake but I don't remember.
My avatar well it's either my baby plastic fantastic or my front yard on Sunset Lake.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
tricia1218

My name is Patricia/Patti/Tricia (i know very creative username) I have been visiting the lake since I was 8ish with my parents. When i was 26 visiting my parents at the lake I met my now husband (parents neighbors son). We purchased the lot next to my parents about 6 years ago and got married 04/06/2007. My avatar is our dog a dachshund who loves the lake, not so much the water. Both our families and alot of friends are at the lake so it is one of our favorite places.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Well my name is pretty staight forword
LI --- Long Island where my camp is
and forrelaxin.... because that is why I have the camp for rest and relaxation

I have been comming to the lake for over 20 years now, my extended family now owns 2 camps next to each other on Long Island
Old 04-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Tir Na Nog

Default Great Idea

I often read the threads, but am a rare contributor. I have been coming up to the area for about 25 years, since my brother and I bought a house together in Barnstead. Since then, I bought a separate place in Barnstead and then in the Wolfeboro area about 4 years ago (found the listing on this site). We always loved Winnipesaukee since we started coming north, but really began to appreciate the Lake when I bought a boat about 10 years ago. I enjoy coming up all year, cross country ski in the winter, boat May (or earlier when the ice and life cooperates) to October and just enjoy it all year round. My oldest is 25 and him and his sister have alot of fond memories from NH. As for the name, it is the name we use on the boat. It is a Gaelic mythological reference to the land where the Knights of the Red Branch and others wandered off to when their time came - - a land where they stayed forever young (just like Peter Pan's - - not Michael Jackson's - - Neverland). Thanks to all who post on this site for the great information I have gathered over the years.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
Sal

Hello all. Nice idea for a thread.

My name is Sal Perra. I grew up in Revere, MA. UNH grad. I fell in love with Lake W. when I dated a girl who's parents had a place on Pine Island and a beautiful wood speed-boat, behind which I "learned" to ski, back in the very early 60's. My wife (Ann, from Wausau WI, UW grad) and I bought a place in Moultonborough, near Buzzel Cove 11 years ago and enjoy it more and more with the passage of time. Our children (4) and grandchildren (5 and more on the way) enjoy the lake immensely.

I tend to "lurk" but read and enjoy the forum 2 or 3 times a week. If provoked sufficiently, I will respond.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
mets3007

My name is Tommy I grew up in Queens Ny, I have been going to NH since 1988 and my mother was there when she was pregnant back in 1980 lol. I have always loved the Lakes Region and I check this site and Citizen at least once a day but more like 2 or 3 times a day. I am also a sports nut, Rangers, Mets, Knicks , Jets fan. I am 26 and not working at the moment but love to walk lol.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #17
islander10

I am a lurker! Maybe, I will start a support group.
I live on Sleepers Island. Only weekends in May and Oct. but the rest of the time I am there full time. My husband would also like to be there but someone has to work. I started coming to the lake when I was 10. Learned how to waterski right by the Governers Island bridge, on the Weirs side. Of course, that was before it was illegal. Started off the dock, too.
We just rented but in 1977 my mother bought in Saunders Bay. She was there and so were we, for 7 years. I bought the land on the island in 1984, when my husband was away fishing. He came home with stories and I had one too! It took us 8 years to build. We love it, kids love it and grandkids love it.
islander10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #18
Steveo

OK, My name means nothing but my name.

My history starts with my grandparents, who lived in Philadelphia and bought (God knows why) a camp on Penelton Beach (across from Weirs Beach) after the war (number 2). My grandfather use to take August off every summer and come up north via the train that let him off in Weirs - unbelievable. As a child, born in '52, I used to come up every summer to spend 2-4 weeks with my grandparents and LOVED it. We lived in NJ and I use to bring back a sack full of pine needles, pine cones and anything else that would smell like the lake. My parents use to make me keep it in the milk container in the backyard (yes, in the 50's we use to have a milkman, even in NJ), but I would love to smell it every chance I got.

My grandparents had to sell the place in the early 60's and I still remember standing on the shoreline and saying "I will find a way to live here year round no matter what" - pretty brilliant for a child of 9 or so, but it happened.

In the late 60's my father worked in NYC and hated it. He had the traditional "midlife crisis" and wanted to do something new. I remember the lake and suggested "why not go the Lake Winnipesaukee", he bit, thank God for me. He moved us to, of all places, Governor's Island. Now I know what you are saying, but we lived in what we affectionally called "the ghetto" which was on the very top of the island, very cheap but was a great investment.

I went to high school in Laconia, and even worked at Dorothy's at Glendale, commuting by a mahogany Correct Craft to work at 5am every day. Still the best time on the lake.

Long story short...I wasn't able to stay longer than high school in the area. I had to follow the work, but I keep my promise to myself on that shoreline. I moved and worked in Massachusetts. I bought an old cabin cruiser and restored it at Fays. Lived on it with the babies until it leaked on us and my wife said she had enough. Bought my first of a few "condos" in Weirs and finally was able to find a "piece of s..t, needs a little work" in Alton 18 years ago.

I have now spent the last 18 years fixing up the camp, raising the kids, fishing, swimming, sailing, closing and opening the camp and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

My father once told me that the Lake was "God's country" and was he ever right.

This is a much longer story but you get the idea, this is a very special place.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #19
wildwoodfam

Default speaks for itself....

we are a family of four - soon to be five - have been a summer rez of the big lake since i was 3 or 4, broader family is split between two big lakes - Champlain to the West and of course our beauty in NH! Spend our non lake time in Massachusetts - wife and I are both secondary school people - one public and the other private - makes for very interesting dinner debates!! To MCAST or not to MCAST! To Pay thousands for an education or not to pay thousands for an education! These are the questions at our dinner table - that and "daddy when are we goin to the lake?"
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
fatlazyless

In 1996, I started out as Lean Mean Less on the Waterville Valley forum, and after about three months or so of trying to spill verbal napalm, I was exiled as a troll. In early 1997, I found the Winnipesaukee forum and decided to redo my moniker from Lean Mean Less to a friendlier Fat Lazy Less. I admit it's a dopey, dumb, and perjorative name but after ten years it's too late to switch plus I like to think it gives me a license to be a knucklehead.....ynnuckk...ynnuck...ynuck.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-25-2007 at 10:28 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
BillieAnne

Default Nice Thread!

Billie Anne is my nickname, and I'm proud to say that this is my 40th summer at The Lake! My family (on my mother's side) has been spending their summers on Bear Island since the late 1800s. I'm so very blessed and grateful that the camp that my husband and I now share with my sister was passed-down from my grandfather to my mother and then to us. I thank my ancestors every day -- this is the one and only place for me to spend my summers!
BillieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #22
capewx

Default What Lake.

When I first when I thought it was the ocean it was so big. I'm new to the forums. I’m grieving the Ice out event somewhat; I had Sunday the 22nd, off by one day. Capewx = first I live on Cape Cod and wx is abbreviation for weather which is what I Do for at living at KBOS and KFMH. I was always a weather freak growing up, (get this Don Kent was my Idol) so when I went to work in the field it was what I dreamed of doing as a kid. Everybody comes to the Cape to go on vacation I leave to go to NH and ME. Managed weather station in Augusta, ME (disgusta by locals) until they replaced us with machines then went to Vero Beach, FL been on the Cape for the last 8 yrs. When I can I wander around Winnipesaukee, have been going to Soulfest at Gunstock last several years or my other favorite Acadia NP up in Bah Habaah. Love both places however visits are limited do to costs.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
NHskier

Though I don't get to downhill ski as much as I used to I like skiing history, hence NHskier.

First came to Winnipesaukee in the '60s on vacations with my parents. Stayed in a rental up behind what's now the Winnipesaukee Marketplace at the Weirs. I still remember the freight train passing by, and having to pay (25 cents?) to use the public beach.

During the past 10 years the Weirs area has become one of our favorite day trips from our home in the Concord area. I've spent hours enjoying the boat parade through the channel, the girls enjoy the beach, and we always have a great day relaxing.

Last fall we took the plunge and bought our first boat, and are renting a slip at Thurston's. We only had about 6 weeks with the boat last season and are really looking forward to this year and getting to know the lake!

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #24
Sunrise Point

Default Great thread!

We have been on Winnisquam for 7 years. A year and a half ago we purchased a property on the north end of the lake with 2 tumble-down, rodent infested camps (the newer one was built in 1935). One of the camps was named Sunrise Point. My avatar (when my son shows me how to post it) will be a sunrise photo taken this past Dec.

The work is ongoing... we have about 40 years of deferred maintenance to catch up on. The rodents are gone, the camps are very liveable and life on the lake is great. My biggest regret is that we couldn't do this while the children were young.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
CanisLupusArctos

Default Great idea for thread!

Canis Lupus Arctos stands for my love of photography and of Jim Brandenburg's National Geographic photos of the arctic wolf. (See them at www.jimbrandenburg.com.) My real name is Mike. My dad and uncle built summer houses on Black Cat Island in the 60s, when lakefront properties were within the financial reach of anyone who had a steady job and good money management skills. As a result I spent most of my childhood weekends and vacations here and finally moved in after I'd had all I could take of the city life. My hobby of nature photography became a business at about the same time. A few months ago I started up a lake webcam on my photo site - thanks to encouragement from friends and clients. The process of letting other people know the cam existed led me to Island Girl's webcam directory, which is where I discovered links to this forum. I often use more words than I need to, but a few years ago my friends discovered that whacking my beer bottle so it erupts with foam is a great way to get me to be quiet.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It started as a little kid not being able...

to say Winnipesaukee. We used to come up to Lake Shore Park when I was an infant and as I got old enough to talk, I would ask if we were going "up the Saukee". Well the name stuck, and all through childhood and teen years, it wasn't going up the lake (had our own place in Glendale by then), it was still going "upthesaukee". Fast forward to 1996, and having moved here, I no longer had to go up the Saukee, I was always Upthesaukee, 'cause I live here !!!! It is now the name on the side of my 19 ft bowrider.

The avitar is looking out from Roberts cove toward Rattlesnake, and is actually two pictures stitched together.

Living year round in the lakes region is a really tough job, but someone has to do it .
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #27
Water Camper

Default Grate Idea

Originally a Maniac, loved Sebago Lake growing up, came to New Hampshire for college and never left.

Trailered a boat up to Winni for about 10 years. My mother in law rented a slip in the boathouse at Lakeport Landing as a birthday present for me about 14 years ago. Have never left.

Water Camper comes from a nickname our friends gave us because we used to stay on the boat. It is also our handle on the lake.

Several years ago we upgraded to a small cottage behind Fratello's. We could walk to and from the boat, no waterfrontage. (This place is for sale, if anyone is interested).

Never thought we would own a piece of waterfrontage on Winni, but last year I stumbled on a piece of property on Paugus Bay with 25' of frontage, a 100 year old cottage, and 4 acres. We love it here and hope to retire up here if possible.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #28
chipj29

Default Not too tough...

My name shouldn't be that hard to figure out. My first name is Chip, and my last name begins with a J. My license plate says nosnhoj, so that may help you figure it out.
Anyway, I live in Bow, but don't live on the lake...yet. Hoping too someday. Maybe one day I will strike it rich and can live out my dream.
My avatar is one of my dogs after a rough night of drinking tequila.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #29
Just Sold

I have been visiting and staying at the lake since the mid 50's. My dad was here at the Y camp on Bear Island as a child and councilor in the 20's and 30's before he married my mom. We stayed in Melvin Villlage and Alton Bay settling in just south off Peggy's Cove and Echo Point. We never owned but rented then leased year round for about 10 years until I went in the Navy. I returned to the Lake in the late 70's and have been here ever since. In the 80's I spent a few summers camping with my son on the Broads side of Rattlesnake.

I now own a Four Winns cuddy cabin and spend as much time as I can here year round enjoying the lake and the surrounding areas. I post photos of the many wonderful and interesting things I see. My son, 27, will be joining me this year as co-captain of the "Just Sold" so we will share the joys of the lake again together.

My name Just Sold goes to my business, real estate, and is the name of my boat. My avitar is of me, standing, and some childhood friends on our dock in the early 60's. Another avitar I have used is of our first boat here at the lake.

I have met and made many wonderful friends here on the Forum and it is truely a wonderful place to keep in touch with our wonderful lake. I enjoy everyones posts, stories and photo posts.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #30
Island Life

Hi. I'm Island Life because, well, that's what I love - life on the island. My family's been on the same island since the late 1800's. It's a wonderful place for all the relatives to gather, enjoy one another and rehash old lake lore. Lately, I've been spending the entire summer on the island but that will change as my kids get involved with more activities. My avitar is a picture of my kids and a friend in the canoe.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #31
nj2nh

Default Jersey Girl

Great idea!

My name comes, obviously, from the fact that we miserably live in northern NJ, about 20 minutes from NYC. I grew up in southeastern Massachusetts and have vacationed at the lake for every one of my 46 summers (except maybe for a couple while in law school). My real name is Virginia and my husband and I have two boys, ages 11 and 13. Thankfully, they still love the lake. By the time I was 13, I was wavering. Nice that you grow up and learn to appreciate the great things in life.

My parents own property in Alton on Echo Point, a camp house from the 20's and a ranch they purchased in 1997. It is good for them since they can't really navigate the stairs at the camp anymore.

My avitar is a picture I took last summer of all our towels on the posts on the dock on the north side of Echo Point looking out towards Little Mark Island. It's hard to tell, but I made the entire photo black and white except for the towels. It's one of my favorites. I think I posted it in the photopost, too.

Jersey Girl
Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #32
LibertySnake

LibertySnake is homage to a few things... My last name being the first and the second being Rattlesnake Island where my parents own their lake house. I grew up in southern NH and recently moved to PA because of my job. I am going to try and make it back as much as I can. My avitar is the famous flag created by General Gadsden for the first ever Marine Corps in 1775. It sort of works with the moniker. I, like others, only really post when provoked or if there is an issue where I could be of assistance. Most of the time I just sit back and read...
My parents are members of the forum too... SHOW YOURSELVES!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #33
ghfromaltonbay

Default God's Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo
As a child, born in '52, I used to come up every summer to spend 2-4 weeks with my grandparents and LOVED it. We lived in NJ and I use to bring back a sack full of pine needles, pine cones and anything else that would smell like the lake. My parents use to make me keep it in the milk container in the backyard (yes, in the 50's we use to have a milkman, even in NJ), but I would love to smell it every chance I got.
Wow, Steve, you're history sounds like mine. I too was born in 1952 in northern NJ and we had a milkman (Ray) and also the Dugan's cake delivery at our house. My parents first visited NH in 1950 on their honeymoon and we started coming to Winni for family vacations in 1959 @ Sandy Point and have been there ever since. When my father retired from Ma Bell in 1985 he leased the cottage for the entire season so we get to spend May thru October at the lake. I took early retirement from Verizon in 2003 so I get to spend as much time as possible in Alton Bay too. My brothers and nephews love it as much as I do. No place like it. We too refer to it as God's country. Hopefully it will be my year-round home before too long. I've met some of the nicest people through this forum. Thank you Don Z!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #34
gtxrider

Default Me To

I have been coming to the lake since '59...Now I ride a Sea Doo GTX hence the name. We do have a boat but it so much easier to hop on the Sea Doo and ride...

No place like the BIG LAKE in Joisey. Our lakes are weed choked and muddy.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #35
parrothead

Default Buffett

What a great thread!!

The name has to do with trying to see Jimmy B as often as I can. I have been coming to Winnipesaukee since before I was born. My grandparents had a cottage in Sachem's cove which was passed down to the next generation. The family had to sell it in the 80's, but my parents ended up buying another house down the cove a few years later. I spent my summers during the late 80's early 90's on the MV BearII heading back and forth from the camps on Bear Island to the Y-Landing. My parents are now retired to Meredith and my wife and I try to get up to the Lake as often as we can. The lake will always be my favorite place on the planet.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #36
Gatto Nero

Gatto Nero is Italian for Black Cat. My wife is from Italy and we've had a place on Black Cat Island since 2004. We live there about 120 or more days a year. When the kids are out of school we plan to move there full time.

Black Cat Island Cam is mine. Neighbors had told me that the former owners lost more than one boat from the winds on our point, so I set it up to keep an eye on my boat and dock while I was away. Once I figured out how easy it was to publish to the web I figured I'd let you guys keep an eye on them for me too. Great job so far, please keep up the good work.

For the 10 years prior to moving to Black Cat we were the proud owners of a place in Brookhurst that came to be know as Mr C's. Maybe some of you have heard of it? It did get a fair amount of exposure on this forum at one time. Yes, Webmaster, I have repented for my sins. Please don't censure me again. Besides, it was all GTO's doing. That guy is bad news.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #37
hilltopper

"hilltopper" is the nickname of my former high school's sports teams...the St. Johnsbury Academy Hilltoppers (northern VT). I lurked here for awhile but became a member when my wife and I chose to but a house in Meredith. We're very excited...we close May 4th. It offers us the best of both worlds. We'll be a few minutes from Meredith area Lake Winni boat launches (and many other lakes for that matter) and we have 36 acres to play on. Unfortunately we'll be commuting to Nashua for work but the pros to living in that area seem to outweigh the only con!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #38
Wolfeboro Matt

Cool thread. First time I saw it I refrained from posting figuring who would want to read about me, but I so thoroughly enjoyed reading all your stories so here goes!

As a number of you, I started coming to the lake before I was born. In the early 70's we rented over at Sandy Point. In 75 we bought a timeshare at the Windrifter in Wolfeboro and we've been in Wolfeboro ever since (hence the moniker). Growing up, I spent a week each summer at the Windrifter and a couple weeks each summer at a rental. The rental started on Crescent Lake and moved to Winni (first Jockey Cove then The Basin) in the 90s. We finally broke down and bought a place on the lake just outside downtown Wolfeboro in 2001.

ALso spent quite a few nights at LSP in college with several friends whose family owned there.

Bought my first boat in the mid 90's - what a different place Winni becomes with a boat. Started with an 18' ft fish n' ski combo, and upgraded a couple of years back to a 21' bowrider (Four Winns Horizon 210).

My avatar (just added it) is the wife, kids, and the dog getting ready for a cruise.

Last edited by Wolfeboro Matt; 04-25-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #39
BBS2

Default OK, here goes

I, too, have enjoyed peoples stories. Just like the thread where we all added our "lake traditions". I barked in on Saturday morning

BBS went to Belknap College back in the day and he always liked it here. He came across a place for sale at LSP back in 2003. We came on Halloween to take a look at it, fell in love with it and the rest in history. I am a high school science teacher so I get most of the summer off. We spend as much time here as BBS' vacation time will allow. We usually open in April and come up for weekends through October.
Besides finding each other 31 years ago , this is the best thing we've ever found!

Our first names begin with B and our last name with S, so we are BBS and
BBS2! My avatar is our new puppy (now 9 months). She was born on 07/04/06 so her name is Libby, short for Liberty.
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #40
Dave R

My user name is easy to figure out, nothing clever about it.

Been coming to the lake off and on since the early to mid 70s when my parent's had a nice, wooden Grady White sedan bridge cabin cruiser in Robert's Cove Marina (really miss that boat).

My wife, our two girls (10 and 12), and I thoroughly enjoy boating. We don't live very far from the lake and trailer our boat to launch in Alton Bay quite often because it is convenient and the lake remains terribly interesting, even though we've seen it all, over and over... We have rented a house in Blackey Cove the last couple of years, and will do so this year as well.

We boat in many other places outside of Winni, mostly in the lakes region of Maine, where we have some vacation property and some great friends. We've also been known to drop the boat in salt water...

My avatar is a pretty sunset shot a friend took from my boat in 2005.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #41
Bear Guy

Default Bear Island

The member name is an innocuous reference to the island on which my parents purchased a cottage in the late 1970's. I have spent at least a portion of every summer of my life on the island, including many years where the only reason we (siblings and teacher mother) left the island was for grocery and laundry trips to town. I'm a big proponent of St. John's, having the pleasure of having both my baptism and wedding ceremony in this summer chapel.

My avatar is a tribute to my 9-to-5, which now limits my visits to the beloved Lake to mostly weekends. It's the I.T. support guy from Dilbert.

Last edited by Bear Guy; 04-27-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #42
Cal

No brainer... my name is Cal. Like some other here I am hopelessly trapped in Jersey. My avatar is my boat sitting still. Been coming to the lake 1953 to 1965. Had a dry spell for a while , then again thru the seventys. Missed the early and mid eightys then started back in the late eightys. My last trip in 2005 ended with trailer problems 100 miles from home and 300 miles from the lake . After temporary repairs we made it home. Missed last year but hope to get there this year

Oh BTW it usually rains when I come up there
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #43
BBS

Thumbs up

The screen name BBS is simply the initials of me and my wife - not very creative I must admit.

I came to the Lake in 1970 to attend Belknap College in Center Harbor, then stayed on to work at the Brickyard Mountain Inn (now Akwa Soleil) and at the Manor French Restaurant that was part of the Inn. I loved living here but decided to move back to MA when I found a position in my field (Meteorology). Good thing too since that's where I met my wife (BBS2). We lived in exile until we decided to look for a bigger lake to sail our boat and, of course, Winni came to mind. We've owned a small place in Gilford for the past three years and spend as much time as we can there - someday permanently, we hope.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #44
winnilakegirl

Default What's in a name

Winnilakegirl is my "call name" for posting to this forum.I am a NH native. I grew up spending my summers on Lake Winnipesaukee(and winters around the lake)---all over it from one end to the other. My family has had a boat in many of the marinas from West Alton all the way to Weirs (Family member runs one of the Weirs one). Presently I now have a boat in Wolfeboro. I have the lake's water in my blood so that is where I get my name. Can't wait for warm weather to get on and in the water.

Winnilakegirl
winnilakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #45
Pricestavern

Default No More Lurking

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...

My wife and I live on Long Island, New York. Started coming up to NH in the 70's - a good friend of the family had a place on Cow Island. Spent 2 weeks a year in paradise there and went to Camp Belknap for 5 years.

Our friends sold the place a few years ago and we were heartsick. This Fall, we stumbled upon our own piece of paradise via the Internet (Island Real Estate) and jumped at it. We're on the south end of Rattlesnake with a view towards Wolfboro.

This will be our first summer at our own camp! Lots of work ahead but this forum has been a great source of information. Thanks to all!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #46
GTO

Default Mr C's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
Gatto Nero is Italian for Black Cat. My wife is from Italy and we've had a place on Black Cat Island since 2004. We live there about 120 or more days a year. When the kids are out of school we plan to move there full time.

Black Cat Island Cam is mine. Neighbors had told me that the former owners lost more than one boat from the winds on our point, so I set it up to keep an eye on my boat and dock while I was away. Once I figured out how easy it was to publish to the web I figured I'd let you guys keep an eye on them for me too. Great job so far, please keep up the good work.

For the 10 years prior to moving to Black Cat we were the proud owners of a place in Brookhurst that came to be know as Mr C's. Maybe some of you have heard of it? It did get a fair amount of exposure on this forum at one time. Yes, Webmaster, I have repented for my sins. Please don't censure me again. Besides, it was all GTO's doing. That guy is bad news.
Ahhhh, Mr C's. The owner is a great guy, lots of fun. Mr C's was established during a time when not alot was going on at the forum so we thought we'd bring some people into our world. Oh yes, it did exist as you can see from the picture and was a great place to socialize and just relax (and drink alot).
Oh, and GTO....Just my initials. I wish I could afford the old classic but, I bought a boat instead. (so I can go visit Gato nero on Black Cat.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #47
gtxrider

Default Parrot Head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
What a great thread!!

The name has to do with trying to see Jimmy B as often as I can. I have been coming to Winnipesaukee since before I was born. My grandparents had a cottage in Sachem's cove which was passed down to the next generation. The family had to sell it in the 80's, but my parents ended up buying another house down the cove a few years later. I spent my summers during the late 80's early 90's on the MV BearII heading back and forth from the camps on Bear Island to the Y-Landing. My parents are now retired to Meredith and my wife and I try to get up to the Lake as often as we can. The lake will always be my favorite place on the planet.
Kind of fiqured that name meant a Buffett fan and the bottom line of the posts gives it away.

"they say there's a woman to blame!"
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #48
IrishEyes

My screen name "IrishEyes" simply refers to my heritage. My grandfather bought a summer camp on Lake Waukewan in 1950, and I was fortunate enough to spend all my summers here in the Lakes Region. The camp is still in the family, however, I became a year-round resident of Meredith 4 years ago - another transplant from Mass. I got tired of corporate life and commuting for hours in endless traffic.

It's been a pleasure reading all of your posts in the forum. My personal favorite was the thread where everyone talked about their memories of coming to the lake, etc. Seems we all have one thing in common - our love for the Lakes Region.

IrishEyes
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #49
Pineedles

Default Lots of Jerseyites

First off the avatar is what I am an old "deadhead" Grateful Dead that is. It doesn't match my politics and life style now, but I did attend 28 of their concerts into my mid 30's.

I was born in '54 in Central New Jersey for the first 8 years our family would join all my aunts, uncles, and cousins for either July or August (we rotated with my grandfather's brother's family) at the family cottage called Pineedles. That's the story of my forum name.

When my parents bought the house next door to Pineedles I was able to stay all summer! This continued until I had to enter the working world at which time my parents sold the place and Pineedles became our summer place again.

Pineedles has been in our family since 1892, and the way things look we'll be there for another 115 years.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #50
Lucky2Bhere

Hi CSUHocky, I know your folks and went flying with your dad. Nice idea for a thread. I've owned at the lake for 17 years now. As of three years ago we moved up full time and it's everything we expected and more. My screen name says it all. My avitar is a fall scene around the intersection of 25B and rt 3.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #51
Pine Island Guy

Default fun thread - thank you csuhockey3

My Lake experience started in 1958 when at the age of two my family stayed at Camp Iroquois in Moultonborough right on the beach in a big WWII Army surplus canvas tent. My only recollection of that summer was the pouring rain and my older siblings telling me not to touch the canvas or it would leak! But, I was hooked and have been back at the Lake every year since.

My screen name is pretty straightforward and I got a kick out of the acronym too (and also makes my kids the PIGlets)! In 1998 the camp next door to my parents on Pine Island came up for sale and I pounced on it and have loved every aspect of island living. Late March 2002 I introduced my new honey to the lake, venturing out in the 14’ Alumacraft through the soft ice. After what she described as her version of the Titanic, she has fallen in love with “lake living” (and me), and we tied the knot last year!

We’ve got two webcams (listed on winnipesaukee.com > lake links), and when I’ve got more time I’d like to enhance the page and information. So if you have ideas/likes/dislikes please forward them to me.

Fellow forum member “Misty Blue”, “Geo”, and I have been life-long friends and lake brothers, and are now occasional brewing buddies. My avatar is a label (with photo from our deck) of a recently brewed “Pine Island Brown Ale”.

Wave to the webcam as you pass light buoy #4 or as the label says “Stop by for a brew or a few”!
Attached Images

Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #52
Grant

Least creative forum handle ever. And it's my first name, not my last.

My grandfather (and some of his brothers), from Haverhill, went to camp at Wyanoke in the 1910s and fell in love with the place. Fast-forward to 1945, and he and his wife bought a place in Tuftonboro. My dad grew up in that house, and spends about five months a year in it now. My mom also vacationed on the Lake a few times when she was young. I was born in 1961, and have been coming to the same place ever since. It's essentially been the most consistent "home" in my 46 years. I spent summers there, and also went to Camp Belknap in Wolfeboro. My two boys both have gone there as well (one still does) and my twin daughters will be CITs at Huckins on Ossipee this year. My wife was smitten with the place after her first visit, and we've done a good job of passing along the bug. It's really not hard.

I love the Lake in all seasons, and really enjoy hiking the White, Sandwich, and Ossipee Mountains, fishing for anything, boating, taking in sunsets from Abenaki Tower and, as the avatar illustrates, pursuing my obsession with SCUBA.

T-minus nine days 'til the opening Winnipesaukee dive of the season. And the opening of my annual Fishing for -- But Not Catching -- Salmon Season.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #53
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy

Wave to the webcam as you pass light buoy #4 or as the label says “Stop by for a brew or a few”!

Better be careful here.... I am sure I am not the only beer lover here, so make sure the production is up to speed this summer..... nothing worse then dissapointed beer drinkers when they find out there long awaited tasting is cut short by lack of supply......

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 04-25-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: but why of course spelling
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #54
Mink Islander

Default Mink Islander

Yep, have a place on Mink Island looking north between Bear and Jolly.

My wife's family has owned two camps on Bear Island since the 1940's. The grandparents were very involved with the island chapel, St. John's on the Lake, including arranging for the various summer guest ministers for many many summers.

When my wife and I moved up to the Boston area in the early 80's, we soon owned a boat and shared the family place on weekends. In 1995 we saw a place on Mink Island for sale during a home leave from an overseas work assignment. It took two days (all en route back to Buenos Aires) to arm-twist the wife to buy it after a only half hour walk-around of the property. With an unobstructed view of Mt. Washington, permanent dock and nice sandy beach area, what more do you need to know? Tore down the old kit house on the site in 1999 and rebuilt a modest post and beam lake house. Best decision we ever made.

The wife and kids (twin boy/girl 12 year olds), summer nearly full time on the island. There are now several families with young children at neighboring camps too so life is as it should be with the kids free to roam and play together.

On weekends, if you're up early, you usually see me in my Whaler Montauk trolling in the area -- often off the west side of Timber and Mark Islands. Still hoping to catch Walter....Our favorite summer outing is a boat trip to Wolfeboro to food shop and have breakfast at the Strawberry Patch.

In the winter, I'm the guy hiking out from Cattle Landing 2 miles over the ice with dog (and sometimes the rest of the family) to do some ice fishing and otherwise enjoy the quiet.

We dive a little in the lake -- though the kids find it boring unless we're treasure hunting over at Shep Brown's while we recover lost gas caps and pump out connectors.

Just got back from two weeks in Hawaii on the Big Island and left thinking, hmmm, this might be a great place to retire. We could then own a summer house with breathtaking views of the White Mountains in NH AND own a second home looking at Mauna Kea (Hawaiian for White Mountain), the tallest mountain in the world measured from the sea floor....They claim you can occasionally ski on Mauna Kea too! Pass me another mai tai.....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #55
OFD232

Talking cool idea interesting replies

Well its kinda simple
OFD232 is Originally from Dorchester (part of Boston MA) and 232 was my badge number for the last 16 of years of my 30 year police career. I've been at the lake every summer for 50 years now and hope to do another fifty there. Let the summer begin
Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #56
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Meet and Greet

What a terrific idea! Alas, I am one of those Forum members who reads, but rarely posts threads.

My parents purchased land in Moultonboro in the early 1950s and subsequently built our cottage; we were the only cottage on the entire shoreline, running from Bryant's Point all the way down to Raoul's Cove. We spent every summer at the lake, my father driving up on weekends from Connecticut, and spending the month of August with us (my mother, brother, myself)

We had no electricity, no running water, no telephone, no TV, and went to bed as soon as it became dark. Spent lots of evenings singing and playing cards: Hearts and Canasta. One of our favorite songs was "Redwing" which had, in part, the following verse: ..."Oh the moon shines tonight on pretty Red Wing, the breeze is sighing, the night birds crying...", and my Mother announced that henceforth our cozy little cottage would be named "Redwing".

Over the couse of those early years, friends of my parents would visit us at the lake. One by one, they (a total of six families) purchased properties on our shoreline; 4 of us still remain, the other 2 sold. Our parents were close friends, we second generation of children are good friends, and our children have all grown up on the lake as good friends, representing the 3rd generation! Our property cost $1200 for the first 100 feet of shoreline we purchased in 1952; my parents purchased the second, immediately adjacent 100 feet of shoreline property in 1956 for $1500 dollars. People thought my parents were crazy to spend that much money on what they dubbed as "worthless property."

I spent all summer, every summer, at the lake until I reached the age of 21, graduated from college, and got a "real job." Worked summers at the Old Country Store in Moultonboro, among other places, when I turned 16. Great memories!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #57
phoenix

We have own at the lake for 25 years even though we have lived in four states. Currently in Phoenix but will be up this weekend. there is a sign at the Tamerack that states it all" Lake Winny one flight below heaven". By the way we feel we have achieved a great balance winter in Arizona summer in NH
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #58
JTA

Default "Fatlazyless" was already taken

My handle "JTA" is my initials. I've been coming to the lake since 1968 when my brother bought our small lot on Cow Island. We built our place there by bringing all of the materials over on a 16' old Starcraft boat.

On the Cow Island Forum I am sometimes known as General JTA or Retired General JTA. This is a result of our "attempt" to organize the Cow Island Militia in order to secede from the town of Tuftonboro (kind of a taxation without representation issue). I was the only one with military experience (Army Reserve) so I became the Commander in Chief. It was a great ride and I was able to give myself several promotions. Now I'm having a tough time collecting my pension (let alone paying my taxes).

I really enjoy the Forum and usually check in daily.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #59
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Getting to know you, Getting to know all about you.. (Sing Along!)

Name is easy… first name and last name initial. Avatar changes often and reflects the seasons and/or my hobby's (Addictions?)

My first visit to the lake was the summer of 69. Three friends and I dragged a rented popup tent trailer to Gunstock to celebrate our high school graduation (I'm a Saugus, MA Sachem) with my 1962 Ford Galaxy 500. We drank way too much beer and stayed up way too late. We sat through the drawing of the first draft lottery for the Vietnam War on a transistor radio around a campfire. Two drew low numbers, and ended up signing up to avoid the draft. (Both survived.. one wounded) I drew 317, and wasn't going. We did manage to go to the Weirs to see the Beach Boys at the Weirs Pavilion. That's where I met my first wife, she and her family had a place in Lake Shore Park. We married in 1971, and sadly passed away in 1973.

In 1975, I was lucky enough to meet my next great love. We married in 1976. Dianne and I managed to buy a "trailer" in LSP for $800 just as LSP was going from Renting, to Owning. Now we had a "place at the lake". In 1986 we moved from Saugus to Gilford, thinking we can sell the place at LSP. Well, we didn't sell and now our "summer place" is 6 miles from our "home".

Gilford was a great place to raise our 3 kids. Small town, safe and full of fun things to do.

We have been in Gilford for 21 years this June… and it has been great.

Love this forum… lot's of very nice people!

SteveA
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #60
winnitru

What a delightful thread. I have so enjoyed meeting all of you! I've never posted, but everyday I "visit" my beloved NH!
My name comes from the fact that my heart truly belongs to Lake Winnipesaukee. If I could figure out how to post an avatar, it would be the lakeside elevation of our home. It is afterall, my screen saver and my letterhead!
I was raised in CT and as a child my parents rented a place on Dan Hole Pond once or twice. I moved to Florida in the eighth grade and NE promptly fell off the radar. Fast forward 25 years... in 2001 I came to visit a Florida girlfriend at her Lake Winnipesaukee summer home. Well that's all she wrote... I reunited with my tribe! I was instantly and hopelessly in love. And miraclulously a home was available for sale 3 doors away from my girlfriend. The only fly in the ointment was my convincing my husband back in Florida that he needed to buy a 100 year old run down fishing camp in a state he'd never been to! Well it must have been meant to be, because he flew up ( I'm certain it was just to placate me) and he too fell in love with NH, Lake Winnipesaukee and a weary, ramshackle, fishing camp on Wingate Cove.
We bought the house on 9-10-01 and flew home from Logan the day before our collective innocence was lost. After we finally found a contractor that didn't suggest we raze the place, we spent the winter, spring and summer of 2002 in renovations. 2007 will be my 7th summer on Winnipesaukee. My husband, two teenage sons and I leave FL the day after school gets out and stay until 3 days before school starts. We drive 28 hours in 2 days just to get to NH as quickly as possible, and to stay as long as we can.I feel blessed beyond description to be able to spend our summers on the lake. My children are afforded a genuine small town experience, and my husband is able to escape the pressures of running his business.We come up one weekend in the fall and for Thanksgiving. I spend the rest of the time pining away for paradise!
My husband and I will be up in 29 days for 6 days to open the house, and in 62 months my youngest will graduate high school and I will be able to call NH home! (But who's keeping track!)
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #61
MaidenCove07

Default Love this...

....I may not meet many of you, but I almost feel like I have after skimming through this thread.

Maiden Cove is the closest map point to my little piece of heaven on the Winni. Like some of you, I too have been here all my life, well at least in summer. My real name is Kelly.
My folks had a trailer in a small park near the Weirs - a wedding present from my mother's folks. I'm adopted and my parents received custody of me at 3 days old and brought me straight to the lake rather than to my home in Manchester, NH. I've had a very deep and spiritual connection ever since.
She still summers there at 77 and I have a trailer across the lot from her. A little too close sometimes, but when she's gone, I'll appreciate the time we had. I've only missed summers here to serve in the Army and to finish college in Arizona. Even then I tried to get a little time back in the Granite State.
While my little trailer pales in comparison to a McMansion, I feel just as much a queen here as any of the over-indebted land owner we may see on the bankruptcy pages of the paper in years to come. I don't mind having a small space...more for the birds, fish and other wild life that were here long before us and they need as much as I can spare.
I have a Sea Doo Jet Ski that I use to explore all the amazing nooks and crannies of the lake. I love to snorkel, I like to fish but my lack of patience doesn't yield much - thus my pic is of one of the bigger one's I've ever reeled in.
I love exploring, hiking, bird watching and sports of all kinds. I fancy myself a beer connoisseur and love beer tastings . I have a Harley, but rarely ride it during Bike Week. I love meeting new people, I'm an unashamed karaoke star and I am a new Nascar fan after meeting Carl Edwards in Concord 2 years ago. Having lived in Arizona for 5 years, I very much appreciate the 4 season...even the cold one and the rain can sometimes make me smile.
My dream retirement is a nice simple lake property for the summers and a 40 foot travel trailer for all the rest of the calendar year so I can see what other people love about where they live/recreate....I'm just one Powerball ticket away!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #62
escaped from NJ

Default This thread provides a whole new perspective on contributors to the forum

Really, NJ isn't THAT bad. It's just when we start heading for the lake, I do feel like we escaped! And when I needed a name for the forum, it just came to me because reading the forum helps me to "escape".

Having had just a few years of time at Lake Winnipesaukee, it is fasinating to hear all of your histories. Here's mine.... My parents had a cottage on a small lake in Ohio (Atwood Lake) and I got the "lake bug" from spending every summer weekend there over my entire childhood....no TV, no phone, no dishwasher and six kids in a small two bedroom cottage my dad bought in 1956 for $5000. He installed a bathroom and got rid of the outhouse before I was old enough to remember!

When I first brought my husband to visit my parents' cottage, I must have spoken about it with such pride and happiness that he was somewhat shocked at how tiny and modest it was. Even though by then I was in my late 30's, I never noticed how small it was until he pointed it out.

To anyone who managed to buy a place before their family was grown, I salute your brilliance. There is nothing better to install family values and closeness. In retrospect, I wish I had raised my kids in a tiny house and bought our cottage while they were still young.

Owning a cottage on a lake was always a goal of mine but it took over twenty years to save enough. We started looking for our dream about 7 years ago. My husband had spent two days at Winnepesaukee about 10 years ago and kept telling me I had to see it before we bought somewhere else. I insisted it was way too far away and resisted going to see it for years. Finally, he planned a weekend and "unfairly" put together the most romantic weekend at Church Landing that he could. I never told him this, but he could have saved a bundle and we could have just pitched a tent cause I was "sold" the moment we drove into Meredith when I saw the lake.

We looked for two years and in 2005, found our dream cottage on Little Bear Island. We both feel it's better than anything we ever dreamed it could be.

Thanks to all the contributors to the forum for making our adjustment easy and quick and allowing me to "escape" November to April.
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #63
kunamola

Default What's in my name

My screen name is actually two words Kuna and Mola. It comes from my interest in the Kuna Indians of the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama and their elaborate appliqued blouses called "molas" in their language. I have a large collection, most from the years I lived there with my Air Force husband in the early 90s.

I have been coming to Lake Winnipesaukee since I was a newborn in June 1957. My first trip up was in the back seat of the car nestled in a dresser drawer. In 1941 my dad's first wife bought a piece of property on Melvin Bay (he was serving at Pearl Harbor). In 1947 dad designed a "contemporary" cottage with a great room, contemporary by 1947 New England standards, and had it built in quickly so his wife could spend her last few months living on the lake (she had terminal cancer). Dad was a proud Tennessean but he certainly loved Lake Winnipesaukee. In 1952 dad married mom and they came to the cottage at Merrymount most every summer after. For many years it was truly a labor of love to get there before interstates and being southerners it was a long drive. I came along in '57, my sister in '64 and we have also spent some of every summer of our lives at the lake. In the 1970's I was a camp counselor at Camp Menotomy on Meredith Neck. Those camp days were extra special summer experiences. My kids, born in '86 and '92 also love to live at the lake. They feel about their summer camp days at YMCA Camp Belknap the same as I do about Menotomy. As a teacher I am lucky that we can spend most of our summer there. I am pleased to be part of Merrymount on Melvin Bay because our community is still all original camp houses without anyone tearing one down to build a McMansion. I worry about how many of us can pay our high property taxes and care for the camp style homes and life we cherish at the lake without having to sell to those who desire a more lavish lifestyle. I would love to be wealthy enough to buy Farm Island and build a small "green" family camp community there while giving rights to Camp Belknap to maintain their view and the LRCT to allow small boats to visit the island. I play the lottery for this dream!

Last edited by kunamola; 05-01-2007 at 07:22 PM.
kunamola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #64
Hermit Cover

While this isn't my first post....I'm thrilled that "csuhockey3" started this thread. The name "Hermit Cover" comes from an ancient fifth century B.C. Roman scroll found buried in a crypt just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati ...on the Kentucky side....

Actually, Hermit Cove is that peaceful spot just off Braun Bay behind Glines Island and a right turn just before JoJo's Country Store on Moultonboro Neck. Mrs. Hermit Cover and I will begin construction on our little piece of paradise this summer.

She's a UCLA girl and I bleed Kentucky Wildcat Blue....we met in Northern Virginia where our careers took us, we married in 1971 and started our family there....on our first vacation after our wedding day we made a wrong turn on the way to Maine and ended up in the Lakes Region of NH and decided this would be a great place to vacation as the family grew....it did and we did.....Squam Lake and Winnipesaukee.....Squam they say is like a library....Winnipesaukee like Disneyland....Winnipesaukee won. We'll retire here and the 4 kids and 6 grandchildren will once again vacation as they did from their birth.....you know what they say...if you build it ----they will come.

Csuhockey3...THANKS for this great idea.....perhaps someday you'll fish with us....your Mom says you know where the smallies are.... better than most of the "guides"..

What a great website this is.......there can not be any better. The Forum Fests are a great opportunity to put faces with names...we look forward to the next!! See you all there.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #65
sum-r breeze

Default Summer Breeze

We are from Burlington Ma. We started to come to NH when my brother in law bought a summer place near lake wentworth around 1985. He talked me into renting jet skis from "wing's jet ski rentals" in Wolfeboro. I fell over the front of it and split my chin wide open. Went to Huggins Hospital for stitches and have been hooked on Wini ever since. We bought a place near Pendleton beach about 5 years ago. LOVE IT. The Summer Breeze is our Sea Ray Sundancer. I tell you all to "Wave 'cuz I'll be waving back" because I've found that the most friendly people in the world are BOATERS. We love the forum ; it keeps us up to date with all the lake news. See you on the water!

The breeze,
Walter & Franca
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #66
Flylady

Default in the blood

My name comes from the fact that I spend a lot of time flying to NH! My great Aunt and Uncle bought their place in the mid 50's. They never had childred so my sister and I spent our summers on the lake. College years took me to the West coast. Married here, career took off, raised my family. Brought my children back to the Lake in the 80's to meet my Aunt and Uncle. They passed on, left their place to my parents, who ended up selling it in the early 90's cuz they couldn't afford it. For the last five years I've been visiting NH and "testing" the water. Finally made the plunge and bought my "piece of heaven" at the end of 2005. So now I am counting down the time until I can retire there for the summers. Until then I have to settle for my four weeks of vacation each year there. My sister is still in CT and they can also enjoy the place with their family. One thing for sure I wish my kids could have had the same experience, but that was not ment to be....but then there are the grandchildren!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #67
Merrymeeting

Mine should be fairly obvious. From the lake where most of you get your water after we're done using it.

Started as an infant sleeping in a towel covered box on a sandy beach on Newfound Lake. Mom & Dad took us to the lakes every summer for vacation. We soon moved on to Squam where we stayed for many happy years, renting with our childhood friends and next door neighbors. Soon came one of those fortunes lost stories. The place we rented for many years, with lots of land and 200'+ frontage on Squam was offered to M&D. With 3 children (soon to be a 4th), after much debate, they decided they couldn't afford it. If they only knew...

But, the seed had been planted. 8-10 years later, they bought a lot on Merrymeeting and they've been there since. I spent 5 summers in my teens working and living at Bald Peak Colony Club in Melvin Village.

Almost 10 years ago, my wife and I were lucky enough to stumble on a place on Merrymeeting that we liked and were able to purchase ourselves. The lake now serves as the base for almost weekly extended family reunions and parties, along with a growing number of close friends.

There's no place I'd rather be...and I love this merry meeting place.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #68
LadyJane

astonished to see 2229 registered members! What’s more shocking is how many of these nice folks have never contributed to the forum. So I’m going to start a meet-n-greet of sorts.

HI! I haven't posted in a while because I couldn't figure out how to do it! I would log in, it would thank me for logging in, and then say I wasn't logged in... and around, and around. Somehow it let me do it this time.
Anyway, my name is Jane. duh. I am a frequent visitor to the lake and have been coming up here for decades. Lots of memories, lots of changes in my life.....but the lake and the mountains are still here. I still feel the magic, peace and strength that this area exudes and I always go back home to Ct. feeling renewed and uplifted. Yes......I would love to live here year round. Maybe some day.

LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #69
vrrooom

Default Avitars and Winni History

My avitar is a Newfie puppy (Brady for you Patriot fans) that I own, he is grown up now and really mellow. I grew up in Northern NJ, played ball with the Tuna and went to college in the Finger Lakes. After college I chased the better job all over North America ,lived in 10 places, one of which was Gilford. When I was able to pick where to live, my family choose Gilford. And here we are again, I really enjoy the quality of life on the lake. I could and have lived all over the US. Being Newfie like, I do dive in and spash arround to rescue things which appear to endanger the quality of life on the lake. Ah yes vrrooom.....is my tag on my Mugello M car as we all know "the difference between men and boys is........................"

Last edited by vrrooom; 04-28-2007 at 04:25 PM.
vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #70
IrishEyes

SteveA - I grew up in Saugus as well (although I was a few years behind you in graduating!) Most of my neighbors here are from the North Shore as well - it's a small world (and becoming smaller with everyone moving north!)

I had a well-rounded childhood living in the suburbs during the winter and visiting my mother's parents and family every weekend in Boston; then spending the summers on Lake Waukewan with my father's parents and extended family.

Living on the lake truly becomes a part of who you are. Our summer camp (and it is still a camp - which my mother reminds us often when we might gripe about something old - that's "it's CAMP") was and still is a great way to spend time with our family. When we were young, camp was a place to get away. There was no TV, so we played a lot of games and cards and I distinctly remember playing Pokeno with my grandmother for pennies. Since we didn't have TV, video games, cell phones, etc., we (my sisters, neighbors and I) used our imaginations to entertain ourselves. This sometimes led to being chased all the way back to our cottage by the local sherriff (at night) because we were laughing too loud at a nearby campground. Those were the days...............

It's great living here year-round although at times, I do miss the city. The nice thing is that I can go to Boston for a day or two for my fix and then return to Paradise.

As I read all of your stories and experiences, I realize how similar they are in sentiment and experience. It's a pleasure getting to know you all..............keep the stories coming.

Have a great day!

IrishEyes
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #71
T.H.E. Binz

Default What's With Us Jerseyites?

. . . interesting to see how many Forum members originate from the Garden State. I left when I was 18 and have never been back! My Member name is a convoluted derivation of my last name that some jerk from high school gave me (and then sent a postcard to me at college where the nickname continued).

After spending 16 summers at my uncle's boys camp on Squam, the Lakes Region and White Mountains run in my blood. Not finding a meaningful professional career in NH, I had to settle for the occasional weekly summer house rental. Unable to afford anything on Squam, my wife and I purchased a home in Meredtih in 1999. With a little luck, we will be calling Meredith home by this time next year.

Beleive-it-or-not, with the exception of weekends in July and August, I actually like Winni better than Squam!
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #72
Lin

Simple shortcut to Linda. My mom's family bought a cottage around 1930 along the shore path at Weirs Beach. (My Aunt and Uncle for many years managed the Mt. Washington snack/store on the Weirs walkway. My Aunt's Uncle was Bryan Avery so we got many a ride on the Mount back in those early years.) Later they purchased a camp and 8 acres off of Shakerjerry Rd in Moultonborough near Little Ganzy. I and all my siblings learned to swim and boat at the lake. A family squabble ended up with the place being sold and my great aunt who had bought it for the family was left crying and very upset. My dad never got over it. We would camp at Iriquois and Arcadia for many years. When I married and had children we rented a cottage for a few years at Buzzel Cove. We would have mom and dad up and they then decided to buy a small place on the lake in Moultonborough. Unfortunately Dad passed away two years after the purchase but he was so proud of his NH property. We go up there as many times as we can get away from our jobs. I do believe I've only missed one year at the lake since 1952. When younger even my 4H club would hike the Presidentials and stay at the Allen A. We love NH and plan on moving there on retirement.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #73
hazelnut

Default Great Stories

I have to say that I love reading about some of your histories. They are all so interesting.

Mine association with Winni is as follows:

As far back as I can remember my parents brought us to the lake. I remember staying at the Nasua as a young kid.

My father gave my mother a great Mother's Day gift one year when I was 10. It was a cottage in an association known as Orton Shores in Moultonboro. I grew up spending summers and making friends in the association. My brother and I both did stints driving the water-ski boat for Deepwood Lodges Cottages.

My parents were fortunate enough to sell high and buy low in 1988 when they purchased our waterfront home over in Senter Cove near Kona across from Windward Harbor. I spent a summer as a Deckhand on the "Doris E." I convinced my then girlfriend now wife to spend the summer with our family and work at the lake. So many good times as a family at that house. My sister was married at the Center Harbor Church with a reception at Red Hill Inn. That is my last memory of that house as my parents sold it in 2002.

Bad News turned into good news as my wife and I took it upon ourselves to keep the lake tradition alive. We acted on a dream to own our own piece of heaven. We searched and searched and were so fortunate to find a camp on Cow Island. We had no idea what we had gotten ourselves into. We landed on the best spot with the best neighbors and have had the best times we've ever had at the lake. Living on an island has given me a whole new respect and appreciation for the lake. We really miss the lake during the off season.

Now we continue the tradition for a whole new generation as our twins (3 1/2 year old boys) and new baby (1 week old girl) are being raised with summers on the Island.

The avitar is self explanatory and the name Hazelnut.... Hazel is my last name. I am the administrator of www.cowislandnh.com and the chat forum that we have. It is a great resource for those of us on Cow Island to share info and communicate. We have all forged great personal friendships through our website. Quite a few post here as well. JTA is my neighbor and he is a Yankee's fan boooooooooooooooooooooo! I forgive him though, especially when we sweep them
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #74
Dog's Ear

Dog's Ear is the name of our camp on Whortleberry Island. If you look at a map you will see that the island is in the shape of a dog. You guessed it, our camp is right on the Dog's Ear. Although I was raised in CT, my Mom grew up in Laconia and my Dad in Alton Bay. I have been coming up here all my life. When I met my husband who grew up in Michigan I introduced him to the lake and he also fell in love with it. We always vacationed here when the kids were young and they also love it. Unfortunately, we were not able to purchase our camp until the kids were grown, but now we have three young grandchildren that will be enjoying it with us. This will be the first year we will be spending the whole summer on the island and we are really looking forward to it.....My favorite spot in the world! As a side note, my paternal grandfather had the opportunity to buy Governor's Island for $5,000. which back then was a lot of money. He has been gone a long time now but used to laugh and say "who the heck would spend that kind of money for an island with no bridge?" hmmmm.......

The avatar is a picture taken from Dog's Ear

Last edited by Dog's Ear; 04-26-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #75
dpg

Default Hello - Webmaster!!!!!

Webmaster - how bout you? I'm sure lot's of people are wondering like myself.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #76
NHKathy

Default This a GREAT thread!!

OK, I'll take a turn-
Screen name is easy, I'm Kathy and I just LOVE New Hampshire in general- especially the Lakes Region, specifically Moultonborough!
We also frequent the mountains area when we can - North Conway, Jackson & Mt.Washington Hotel area in the winter, and Franconia / Sugar Hill area for summer day trips.
I fell in love with the Lake not long after falling in love with my husband of 8 years now. When we first met (10 yrs ago), he introduced me to Lake -his parents own a cottage in Moultonborough with a gorgeous beach that has just a magnificent view! We spend as much time up there as we can, long weekends April - Oct, July 4 weekend (a must!) and a full week in July/Aug.
My Avatar is a picture of the cottage.
Hopefully someday, somehow we can be there fulltime....
But in the meantime, I am constantly on this web site (which is fantastic - Thank you DON!!) most of time just "lurking" -reading posts, viewing and posting pictures, and daydreaming while watching the webcams....
I LOVE the LAKE

TO Hazelnut:
"My brother and I both did stints driving the water-ski boat for Deepwood Lodges Cottages."
This is where my in-laws own - Deepwood ! How long ago was it that you did the driving stints? My husband's family has been going there for a while now - before they owned, they used to rent there (starting in the late 70's I think...)

Last edited by NHKathy; 04-26-2007 at 12:10 PM.
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #77
hazelnut

Default Deepwood

My brother was there around 87-88 and I was there around 88-89. I believe all the cottages were on a weekly rental basis then. The boat was an old brown 16 footer with I believe a Johnson outboard on it. Great times over there.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #78
LakeSnake

Yet another daily reader/nonposter. My screen name is taken from a boat of the same that I owned back in my college days (late 70's early 80's) and kept in Alton Bay. Have been comming up to the lake (Alton area) my whole life. I belive my "first" trip was actually when my mother had that special gleam in her eye. Now that I think of it my childrens first trip was most likely the same. Now I usually bring my own family up for at least a week or two in the summer as well as numerous weekend visits. My father has a place on Alton Mountain (one of the "early" settlers to that area). My mother has "little cottage" on Smith Point (West Alton) she bought in the mid 80's.

Reading the forum is my favorite lunchtime activity from my place of work here in MA. Helps keep me "sane" and up to date on the happenings at the lake. So I must thank all the usual contibutors for thier posts and pictures and information about my favorite place.

I was born and still live on the south shore in MA with wife and three children. My parents were smart enough to move to NH, I apparently have not attained that level of wisdom yet - but hopefully am getting closer.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #79
White Rook
Deceased Member

"White Rook" is the call name for Sgt Saunders in the 1960's TV series COMBAT. It would go something like "Checkmate King II to White Rook, over". I've been a big fan of COMBAT since I was a kid. Even my license plate reads WHTROOK.

When I give a technical presentation and the audio setup person needs to dial in the settings, I repeat "Checkmate King II to White Rook, over" a few times. There's always at least a dozen or so individuals that perk right up. Their big COMBAT fans too! With that said, this is White Rook ........ out.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #80
Pineedles

Default White Rook

Is it in reruns anywhere? Military channel maybe? Loved the show!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #81
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook
"White Rook" is the call name for Sgt Saunders in the 1960's TV series COMBAT. It would go something like "Checkmate King II to White Rook, over". I've been a big fan of COMBAT since I was a kid. Even my license plate reads WHTROOK.

When I give a technical presentation and the audio setup person needs to dial in the settings, I repeat "Checkmate King II to White Rook, over" a few times. There's always at least a dozen or so individuals that perk right up. Their big COMBAT fans too! With that said, this is White Rook ........ out.

Awesome call name. Wow, I was wondering about that name. Combat! often came to mind when I saw it. I belong to a group of people that write Combat! fan fiction. We've also been voting for it on the Richlabonte tv site for fav show. Pineneedles I think asked if it is still on. The American Life cable channel carries it I think around 7:00 PM. It is also out on DVD all 5 seasons.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #82
Buffalo Gal

Default Another "lurker" comes out of hiding...

I've been "lurking" around this web site daily for over a year, reading everything, but this is my first posting! I consider some of the regular posters to be almost Winnipesaukee Forum Celebrities. Thanks CSUhockey3, this was a great idea for a topic. The explanation for my user name is very simple....I was born in Buffalo and my name is Gail. There is an old song (very old) about a "Buffalo Gal", and so it seemed to be an appropriate name. I haven't chosen an avatar yet, and probably wouldn't know how to add it anyway. My husband (a Rhode Islander) and I met while working in the Boston area. We live in Massachusetts but we have always loved the mountains and woods of New Hampshire and we started tent camping in the White Mountains with our children when they were very young. About 15 years ago we bought a small cabin in the Newfound Lake area. We'd spend as many weekends as we could, winter and summer, at the cabin. On my mother's side I come from a long line of Adirondack mountain people. My father's side of the family originated in the Abruzzi mountains of Italy. Maybe it's genetic, because I'm never happier than when I'm surrounded by woods and mountains. My husband is drawn to the lake and is happiest on his boat. Now with our children almost on their own we are finally building a home we can retire to on the BIG lake. Like many others we've considered going south to retire, but we'd miss New Hampshire too much. The boating is terrific in Florida but it's too flat and too hot for me! We bought a new boat last spring and spent the summer learning how to navigate Winnipesaukee, and now we count the days until we can be full-time residents of New Hampshire.
Buffalo Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #83
Aquadeziac

Mine is simply my AOL screenname which is a variation of the name on our boat "Aquadesiac". Screenname was not available with a "s" so "z" was the next choice. When we upgraded to a cruiser a few years ago we wanted a name with "aqua" in it and had seen this name on a boat in Calif several years before and liked the sound of it. Beyond that, we live in Concord (NH) and spend every free day of the summer on our "waterfront property" at GYC. Have been coming to the lake for almost 20 yrs, our kids grew up coming to the lake and now our grandson is beginning a third generation of enjoying the good life.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #84
codeman671

My screen name is my aol email address that I have had for many years. "Codeman" is a nickname for our golden retriever Cody. The 671 means nothing, it was what aol tacked onto my desired screen name since codeman was taken.

My wife, two kids and I live in Dover and built a place on Mark Island a few years ago. We spend every possible moment there during the season and I try to make it out often in the off season, thus my last boating day of Jan 3rd this winter. My addiction to the lake caused me to buy the infamous yellow airboat this winter so that I could make the voyage in all seasons, even if it is to simply hang out on the deck and enjoy the winter peace and quiet. Yep, our friends think I am crazy, I guess they just don't understand or have not developed the appreciation for the lake that I have.

My avatar picture of "bad santa" is our youngest with a nasty litle grin on his face, probably a response to his older sister.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #85
kim mcgrath

As a new member I really think this is a great way to get to know some of my fellow boaters! My name stems from a country song..."alittle bit of life" ,we have also chosen this name for our boat. My boyfriend and I both work in the medical field and rarely have time to enjoy life, so I found that song very fitting.
Dan, (my boyfriend) is from Michigan, yes home of the "Great Lakes". Dan moved to NH in 2003 and has missed the lakes terribly. I suggested that he try this lake on for size and see if he likes it. I was raised in NH and have been coming to the lake for years. It has truly been my dream to buy a boat and eventually real estate in this region. We look forward to this summer and hope to see some of you out there.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #86
Pineedles

Default Aquadeziac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
Mine is simply my AOL screenname which is a variation of the name on our boat "Aquadesiac". Screenname was not available with a "s" so "z" was the next choice. When we upgraded to a cruiser a few years ago we wanted a name with "aqua" in it and had seen this name on a boat in Calif several years before and liked the sound of it. Beyond that, we live in Concord (NH) and spend every free day of the summer on our "waterfront property" at GYC. Have been coming to the lake for almost 20 yrs, our kids grew up coming to the lake and now our grandson is beginning a third generation of enjoying the good life.

Of all the avatars, yours is the best! "Life's short, Jetski Naked" The little guy looks like a comic strip character out of "Calvin and Hobbs"? Haven't done it yet, but if senility takes hold some day, the Laconia Times may have a story.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #87
jetskier

Default Yup...funny kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
Of all the avatars, yours is the best! "Life's short, Jetski Naked" The little guy looks like a comic strip character out of "Calvin and Hobbs"? Haven't done it yet, but if senility takes hold some day, the Laconia Times may have a story.
Back in 1993, I purchased a Kawasaki 750SX from Laconia Kawasaki. For those of you over the age of 30, you will recall that this was the biggest standup of the day. About 2 months after I received the jetski, I got an envelope in the mail from the manufacturer. There was a sticker inside that they wanted me to put on my 750SX. It read:

Warning personal injury can result from high water pressure forcing water into orifices during a fall. Wear appropriate protective clothing.

I gave the sticker to my brother and he put it on his van.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #88
jetskier

Default Jetskier

Hi all,

I guess that there is not too much mystery to my name and avatar. I have been coming up to the lake since my high school days (before electricity ). At that time, one of my classmates had a family compound a bit south of Wolfboro harbor. We would come up and take the sailboat out and go waterskiing.

In the 80s, my brother bought a house on Paugus Bay with his partners and we used that until he sold it in the mid 90s. During the 80s, standups were the only watercraft generally available (until around 87) and several of us were the original jetskiers on the lake. Riding a standup for a full day was a significant workout! Alas, I was slightly younger back then.

In 1998, I co-founded a telecommunications startup and vowed that if it were successful, I would buy a place on the lake. We sold the company in 2002 and I bought a place in South Down the same year.

These days I am relegated to my GTX-4TEC and my new boat. I gave my 750SX to my brother in law and sometimes regret it as I get the urge to ride a standup. Of course, after a few hours of muscling it around, the urge passes.

Nuff Said

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #89
Coolbreeze

Default Coolbreeze...

Coolbreeze is a name that I came up with from many great memories of my sisters, Mom and Dad crossing the lake in a Boston Whaler; in all weather conditions. On really windy trips, my sisters and I would sit at the furthermost point of the bow (that dad would allow), with the wind blowing through our hair laughing histerically reciting the words from the commercial. "When I bite into a york peppermint patty, I get the feeling of a coolbreeze blowing through my hair."
That memory of the never changing feeling of the lake coolbreeze gets me everytime.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #90
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Her and Him

As I think is no surprise, "Mee-n-Mac" is a contraction of our last names with her being "Mee" and I, "Mac". I am a NH native and even before the parental units got the place(s) at The Sands of Brookhurst, I was growing up on the "Big Lake" (anyone remember Camp Meadowbrook*). Dad being a teacher meant we got to spend our entire summers at the lake. We had the smallest, ugliest boat but I recall taking it (had to, I was too young to drive) to Center Harbor for candy and comics during the summer doldrums. That and racing the kid from Patrician Shores in the Whaler.

"Mee" is a relative newcomer to the Lake. She came up few times prior to "us" becoming "us" but apparently one of the family Afghans was a wee bit too territorial for her liking.

Later (much) in life some friends of "Mee" end up buying a place in Meredith and she (now out of biting range) decided that;

- she loves the Lake and
- we need a place of our own for a boat (and a boat too).

(Turns out it was they who let me know about Winni.com ... a forum about Winnipesaukee, who knew ).

So now we are in the Cozy Cabin in Alton Bay where we can sit on the dock by the bay and watch the boats go by. "Mee" says she's moving there full time as soon as I can afford it. I'm invited to tag along so long as I behave. I believe "Mee's" ambition for this summer is to be a 'Babe on (water) Sled'.

As for the avatar .... to be truthful it was the only thing I could think of, given the props we had at that moment. Now I think I'm stuck with the animals though I think I can perhaps find some way to make them more "seasonal". Hmmmmm .....

*yes it was a camp for girls, the parental units "worked" there and I yet to escape their grip.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #91
ApS

The Olde Forum is unavailable right now, but I'd guess I've been around this forum since 2001. Like many others posting to the less-disciplined Olde Forum, I'd assumed a few different user-names. "Acres per Second" (APS) became the name I've had the longest.

"APS" just expresses the concept that slower boats use less of the lake at one time than faster boats—keeping in mind the 150-foot, "Safe Passage" rule. It was pleasing to see the concept used at an official Concord hearing recently.

The family started in Tuftonboro in the 30s. Two generations went to camps Wyanoke and Winnemont, then finally settled down on Winter Harbor in 1956. The folks elected not to have a telephone, so things slowed to a crawl every summer for us kids. Neighbor-kids visiting neighbor-kids by boat or nightly walks was the norm. When a flashlight was forgotten after an over-long visit on moonless nights, we'd walk home with our footsteps guided just by "starshine".

The family camp "got away" after twenty years of ownership, but we continued to rent it from the new owners, and finally bought it back. We didn't know it at the time, but the price was a steal that has become a legend around Lakes Region realtors. That legend was unknown to me for 15 years—until last September—but I would have sold both kidneys to get the family camp back!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #92
Phantom

All Right -- I wasn't going to -- but so many have already, here goes:

By reading the posts above, we are relative newcomers to the Lake. We have been coming up for close to 20 years now (pale in comparison to those who have grown up here). We started out with extended week-ends staying in Center Harbor and using our then 16' bow rider, explored, explored, explored (we are truely a boating family)!! We now spend nearly 45-50 nites per season at Winni and our boat has grown up a little (now a 24' Crownline bowrider) taking us out of the "Tourist" category - I Hope! At this point we still have not purchased a home or Condo, a goal that one day will happen. Our prime consideration, till now, was to see the kids thru college first (that has just recently been accomplished) thus we have been renting at a great set of cottages adjacent to FL # 1 for the past 15 years. Don- I believe you know the place, as well. I firmly believe we are now on the owners chart as "part time resident" versus guest!!

When we are not on Winni, we are home here in Central Mass where we do own waterfront property -- which always begs our guests and neighbors to ask "How can you leave THIS to go to NH and vacation on another Lake" -- That question is quite simple to answer for you folks & us as well.

Phantom -- it's derivation in the "Illusionary or Ghost like quality" -- was an old CB "handle" which ended up becoming the name of our boats & sticks to this day. It seems appropriate as now I always threaten the kids (and now grandkids) that "I'll come back and Haunt you long after I'm gone - so be good to me now while you can" !! They don't buy it - oh by the way

Avitar - well there is nothing special there, I change them to fit the mood so don't get hung up on that -- Snoopy & the gang are kewl !!

That's the short version -- If you hear us on the VHF or happen to be at one of the sandbars we frequent -- the boat name is (discreetly) on the stern with a pink ribbon next to it (my wife is a 2 time survivor)-- please do come up & say "Hello" -
Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #93
HomeWood

"HomeWood" is a nic-name I was given by coworkers. There is a street in Raleigh that is called Home Wood ----- Dr. The dashes are my last name, but my first name is Jeremy. Been going to the lake since I was born. My grandparents have had the lake house in Moultonborough since the early 60's and we hope to keep in the family for generations to come. I moved from Massachusetts in 2001 to here to be a police officer.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #94
WeirsGuard

Cool Forum Names

Got mine as a result of spending five summers ('73 - '77) as a Lifeguard at Weirs Beach. Our family used to spend the summer at the NH Veterans Association cottages. Alot of history in those places. Alot of fun on the beach and around the lake.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #95
Sparky

My name is just a nickname from my husband. We have a seasonal camper at Paugus Bay Campground. We bought in 1998 but have been coming up since the early 80's. Home is in Natick, MA but hopefully we can retire in the Lakes Region...close enough to our favorite golf course (Oak Hill in Meredith)
I don't contribute much to this site but I check it multiple times each day and have been since the beginning. Great work to Don and all you great members that take so much time to post pictures, give info and host webcams!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #96
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default COMBAT! Reruns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
Awesome call name. Wow, I was wondering about that name. Combat! often came to mind when I saw it. I belong to a group of people that write Combat! fan fiction. We've also been voting for it on the Richlabonte tv site for fav show. Pineneedles I think asked if it is still on. The American Life cable channel carries it I think around 7:00 PM. It is also out on DVD all 5 seasons.

COMBAT! reruns used to be on the cable Action Channel 203 until about six months ago. Two consecutive episodes would air daily. I too have the series on DVD and enjoy it immensely even though I know every move that's about to occur and of course, the distinct sounds of Saunders Tommy Gun, Kirby's BAR, and the M1 Garand clip being ejected after the eighth round is fired.

I belong to the COMBAT! fan club on Yahoo. The audio sound I have on my PC that alerts me to a new email message arrival is Vic Morrow's voice saying "Checkmate King II....this is White Rook....over". My PC's desktop also has a light blue background with a photo of Sgt Saunders using a Motorola Handi-Talkie.

There's a recent movie (title eludes me) with Denzel Washington taking an ER waiting room by force until his dying son is placed on the receipent list for a heart transplant. There's a scene with a police sniper crawling through the HVAC duct work to line up a shot. He positions himself and then uses his police radio to call for authorization to fire. What does he speak into the radio? "Checkmate King II...this is White Rook...over!!!!!" The movie's director must have been a COMBAT! fan too.

White Rook....out
Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #97
Aquadeziac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
Ahhh yes, the Avatar. Its the cartoon sticker on the cowl of my jetski. And as far as senility...I am 53, have been jetskiing for 10 yrs and don't forsee stopping anytime soon and neither do the two friends that are ten years older than me. No matter what your age, try it once and you will be addicted, guaranteed.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #98
camp guy

Default What's in a name...?

"Camp guy" refers to the fact that my grandfather started a summer camp for boys (Camp Wyanoke) in 1909 and my father kept it going until after the 1975 season. I spent each summer (except Army time when I was in a different type of camp) and most vacations on Winter Harbor, a neighbor of APS and others. So, my posting name isn't too unusualy original, but, like most of the other posting names, it has significance to the Lake I still live in Wolfeboro and get out on the Lake when I can, usually by canoe, now. I enjoy the "names and numbers" thing, and for years we had the vehicle licence plate CAMPS because we also had a girls camp in Ossipee. This is a great Forum and the powers to be deserve our thanks; please stand and join me in a hearty round of applause.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #99
Long Pine

The name Long Pine is just based on the island in the Varneys that is a major part of my view. The avatar (assuming I set it up correctly) is a picture that has been posted on the forum before that showed that part of "On Golden Pond" was filmed on Winnipesaukee. It is Billy going past Long Pine Island.

My history is much shorter than most of those documented here. We have only been coming to Winni for the last several years (not decades). Nonetheless, we are hooked. I loved reading the stories though about all of your experiences at the lake that spanned generations. I have been reading the forum almost daily for the last several months and really appreciate the webcams, photoposts, ice-out reports, etc. You are an incredibly helpful group of people and I feel like I know many of you from your posts. I'm hoping to be able to reciprocate when a topic comes up on which I can be helpful.

We are counting down the days now until we get up there this year!
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #100
nightrider

Default name

My name derives from the fact that I love to ride my sled at night. When I was younger, I used to extoll the group to go for a nightride after everyone had settled down for a relaxing night in front of the fire. My family has been in Winter Harbor since the 1940's. I ride with Treerider and Loafrider. I'll give anyone a free nightride if they can figure out where those two monikers came from. Replies from the Treerider and Loafrider don't count.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote