Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
rrr

Default chipmunk in the house

The alarm company called at 3 this morning. The motion sensor had been tripped - did I want them to call the police? I somehow had the presence of mind to ask about the perimeters - no, nothing there. I said no thanks to the police. They called back at 5 - same story, at 7 we bypassed the motion zone.

I've been checking the webcam and have had several opportunities to watch my little furry friend run around the house. We're headed up in the morning to deal with this uninvited guest and try to figure out how he got in. My first choice would be catch and release - but if we can't catch him, we may have to leave traps. Anyone have any tricks for a quick catch?

thanks
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
lakershaker

Default Chimney

If you have a chimney, make sure the flue is closed. They can crawl down and into the house that way.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
The alarm company called at 3 this morning. The motion sensor had been tripped - did I want them to call the police? I somehow had the presence of mind to ask about the perimeters - no, nothing there. I said no thanks to the police. They called back at 5 - same story, at 7 we bypassed the motion zone.

I've been checking the webcam and have had several opportunities to watch my little furry friend run around the house. We're headed up in the morning to deal with this uninvited guest and try to figure out how he got in. My first choice would be catch and release - but if we can't catch him, we may have to leave traps. Anyone have any tricks for a quick catch?

thanks
That must be some sensitive motion detector to pick up the heat from a chipmunk.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
ITD

Rat trap and peanut butter.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
ApS

Wink I was amazed to see this actually worked...

Open a window "enough", remove the screen, put a plank up to the windowsill. The chipmunk will sneak out while you're not watching.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Open a window "enough", remove the screen, put a plank up to the windowsill. The chipmunk will sneak out while you're not watching.

What if he invites all his buddies in?...
Old 11-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
cillovely

I'd lend you my cat who is a champ at catching Alvin and his friends, but she's currently on mouse patrol in my house. They are all getting cold and looking for warm places to hang out for the winter. She brought me a live chipmunk last summer in the house to play with. We cornered it and put a tupperware container over him, then slid the cover under him and carefully put him outside. She does the same with the mice, dosen't kill, just plays with them until they give up and die, run away or like she did earlier this week, put it in my shoe. I managed to take the little guy outside and let him go far from the house.

That is one sensitive alarm you have if it's picking up a chipmunk. My motion sensor won't pick up anything under 20 pounds, at least that is what the alarm company told us. I never set the motion sensor becuase we also have a yellow lab who is well over 20 pounds. Not that he's walking around the house, but just in case from his crate he causes any motion I'd hate for that thing to go off and scare him.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Rat trap and peanut butter.
I'd head in this direction if you can't chase him out. These guys can destroy a the interior of a house very quickly. Good Luck
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
TheProfessor

Attack Wave Pestrepeller Brand.
LINK

Been using this brand for years. Have 3 in home. If attic or basement - put one there.

No machine is fool proof.

But I have had zero issues in the 5 years I have been using these.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Cal

I had a chipmunk in the house years back. Also had three cats. What a circus that was. Long story short, they cornered him under a bureau in the bedroom and I was able to convince him to get in a cardboard box I left there after removing the cats from the room. Then took him outside and released him(or her)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Get a bucket of water, a short board, a bag of sunflower seeds. Fill the bucket with water to about 5 inches below the lip. Put the sunflower seeds in the water so it covers the surface of the water. Lay the plank on the lip of the bucket and to the floor. Put a few seeds up the board. The chippy will follow up the board and as it tries to reach the sunflower seeds from the board will fall in. Pour him out in the morning....

I despise chipmunks ever since one ate the wiring in my car one winter.....Argh!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
rrr

Default update

Thanks for the suggestions. A short trip Saturday morning produced no sightings - but he did leave a mess. Traps and one of those electronic gizmos (it's a technical term) are in place and we will be returning Friday night - hopefully we'll be able to figure out how he got in and get some assurance that he won't be running around anymore. We'll also talk to the alarm company about the sensitivity of the motion detector.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Get a bucket of water, a short board, a bag of sunflower seeds. Fill the bucket with water to about 5 inches below the lip. Put the sunflower seeds in the water so it covers the surface of the water. Lay the plank on the lip of the bucket and to the floor. Put a few seeds up the board. The chippy will follow up the board and as it tries to reach the sunflower seeds from the board will fall in. Pour him out in the morning....

winter.....Argh!
I tried this. For months. Fresh seeds and such. Didn't work. But thank you for the suggestion.

I ended up with the gray plastic snap traps. The larger ones. Add bait. These do work for me.

I first tried new cage traps. But none would enter cage no matter what bait I used.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
ApS

Wink Chippies don't trusts hands so much...

Quote:

I despise chipmunks ever since one ate the wiring in my car one winter.....Argh!
Chipmunks, as they are exclusively burrowing critters, are highly unlikely to have been the culprit regarding your car's wiring. Mice are much more likely to rip up a car or boat and, as a final insult, leave an odorous mess behind them.

Not all, but many buckets have warnings on them regarding leaving water in them, and shouldn't be left unattended.

Chipmunks, on the other hand, can be befriended with sunflower seeds, then just grasp them, hold them by the nape of the neck, and return them to the outdoors.

Attached Images

Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

NOPE! It was a Chippy. We would sit there on the deck and watch him/her run over to the car with a mouthful and climb the front tire and then come back out with nothing in it's mouth. So we knew it was a Chipmunk that was loading up our hood with acorns, and gnawing the wiring.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Chipmunks, on the other hand, can be befriended with sunflower seeds, then just grasp them, hold them by the nape of the neck, and return them to the outdoors.
Maybe if you play some soft music and have a glass of wine with them they will just excuse themselves and walk out the door!

I have had multiple chipmunks in the house. The cats bring them home alive and they end up in the house. I just corner the chipmunk and toss a heavy bath towel on top of them. They can easily be wraped up and carried out without any problem. This works well with bats too. Don't try it on the kids, it doesn't work.
I've posted this picture before but it fits the thread.
This chipmunk, like always, played dead and then got up and ran away. I had a cat who ate mice and chipmunks but Pam seems to be doing more of a motherly instinct as she always carries them by the nape of the neck to the back deck sliding door. Once we praise for her gift, she drops the chipmunk and walks away. I'm sure the chipmunk is not a willing participant in this display of affection
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
Onshore

PFF - Actually Pam is trying to telll you that the dry food you've been putting down lately just doesn't cut it. Clearly you need to learn how to hunt. Once you figure it out she would like it medium rare with a nice red wine reduction and some lightly sauteed mixed greens harvested from the lawn and those other plants you keep around the house.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
ITD (12-03-2013), PaugusBayFireFighter (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
PFF - Actually Pam is trying to telll you that the dry food you've been putting down lately just doesn't cut it. Clearly you need to learn how to hunt. Once you figure it out she would like it medium rare with a nice red wine reduction and some lightly sauteed mixed greens harvested from the lawn and those other plants you keep around the house.
What's really funny is Pam is our only cat that eats wet food. She doesn't like just any wet food either, she likes the expensive stuff. Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys, Tuna Florentine with garden greens in a delicate sauce! Regular Fancy Feast wet food is 2 for a buck, these are .80 each and she gets half a can in the morning and half a can for dinner.
So, maybe she IS bringing us gifts for the gourmet meals we feed her. The other two cats, Maine Coon brothers Hutch and Harley, eat dry food and couldn't be bothered with chipmunks.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Great pics PBF. Reminds me so much of my now passed on cats. One would always bring in the chippys and they would play dead. Both would cuddle together like your coon cats.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
ApS

Wink "Not All Rodents are Equal..." —George Orwell...

Quote:
NOPE! It was a Chippy. We would sit there on the deck and watch him/her run over to the car with a mouthful and climb the front tire and then come back out with nothing in it's mouth. So we knew it was a Chipmunk that was loading up our hood with acorns, and gnawing the wiring.

I saw a Chipmunk make many "round-trips" to my sailboat, jumping aboard and rummaging about, and wondered about what was going on. It was only when I raised the mainsail that many ounces of birdseed fell out!

As to "seeing" the wiring gnawed, Perry Mason might have you on the witness stand to ask one last question:

Quote:
You knew that it was a Chipmunk, but did you actually see the Chipmunk gnaw the wiring?

No further questions from this witness, your Honor..."
Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
ApS

Question Where's Chipmunk-ese on this thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
What if he invites all his buddies in?...
That's not very likely.

Against trespassers, New Hampshire requires that you "post" your property lines. Perhaps a good idea would be post a warning to ALL Chipmunks that they are not welcome inside your house.

However, I can't tell you what language to write it in.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
rrr

Default update

Lakershaker wins! After weeks (months) of trying to figure out how he got in and how he got out (after the initial commotion there were no further disturbances or sightings), last week while laying a fire, I discovered that he never made it out. Sorry Chip. First time we'd used the fireplace this season and happily I spotted him before I struck the match. In my 20 years in this house, this was a first - my husband goes back another 25 and he hasn't see it either.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Maybe if you play some soft music and have a glass of wine with them they will just excuse themselves and walk out the door!

I have had multiple chipmunks in the house. The cats bring them home alive and they end up in the house. I just corner the chipmunk and toss a heavy bath towel on top of them. They can easily be wraped up and carried out without any problem. This works well with bats too. Don't try it on the kids, it doesn't work.
I've posted this picture before but it fits the thread.
This chipmunk, like always, played dead and then got up and ran away. I had a cat who ate mice and chipmunks but Pam seems to be doing more of a motherly instinct as she always carries them by the nape of the neck to the back deck sliding door. Once we praise for her gift, she drops the chipmunk and walks away. I'm sure the chipmunk is not a willing participant in this display of affection
Video proof that Chipmunks will "get even"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8xSHmMuNYg

Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #24
fatlazyless

The Napa auto parts store in Meredith sells a $15.99 box of smelly tea bag style bags that are designed to keep mice and chipmunks out of cars which are parked for a lengthy time......like 3-months or seven years? or so......instead of using fox urine or a gasoline soaked rag ..... these smelly tea bags are another choice.....

Needs some research on this item?

Fresh Cab botanical rodent repellent ........ so what is this stuff ....and how smelly is it?