Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Vessel Safety Checks

SBONH http://sbonh.org and the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron http://www.lrsps.org/ have teamed up to provide Vessel Safety Checks at the Center Harbor Town Docks on Saturday July 17, 2010 from 0930 through 1200. Members of the Power squadron will be on hand to perform the inspections at CH as well as Channel Marine and Irwin Marine.

If you can't make it this weekend, please check the SBONH website for a schedule for the rest of the year.

I had my boat inspected a few weeks back and passed but learned some valuable safety pointers.

Please note that the Power Squadron members will tell you if you have any issues, allow you to rectify (Heath's Hardware is right at the dock and carries a full line of boating supplies), and then re-inspect.

Hope to see some Winnipesaukee.com forum members there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (07-15-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I may try to get up there to be inspected, last time was 2008 and I agree it's nice to have this done periodically.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
VtSteve

For those that can't get their boat checked for one reason or another, could someone list or explain the type of deficiencies or recommendations the PS is finding?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
robmac

I'd love to get mine inspected but would have to trailer it.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I'd love to get mine inspected but would have to trailer it.
can't you put in at ctr. harbor?
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
For those that can't get their boat checked for one reason or another, could someone list or explain the type of deficiencies or recommendations the PS is finding?
Last time I had mine done it was by the MP. For me being a 19 foot bowrider, they checked all my required safety equipment and that it was in good working order, for example they checked the number of life jackets I had, what kind they were, if I had a throwable, my fire extinguisher, nav lights etc.. Guys doing the inspection were great, made some suggestions about what I didn't have but should (like an auxillary horn, whistle and flares). Plus any of the stuff they checked the MP might inspect should you be pulled over out on the lake. I think it's an invaluable service.

If you can get over to have them inspect your boat it's really worthwhile.

There is a really nice boat ramp right next to the docks in Crt Harbor and a huge field you can park your rig in. If they are collecting launch fees I think they whack you for 10 bucks.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
robmac

I don't have an outdrive,waiting for replacement.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
VtSteve

Thanks Maxum. I wasn't ure what the PS did in theirs if different, I think it's more thorough. I know the Coast Guard has me lift the engine lid and they check to see if you have non-sparking equipment. A pretty good idea, since some don;t know there is a difference between some auto and marine parts. Like the ones that could make you go BOOM
Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The last time I was watching inspections get done one of the things that got pointed out was the the blower hose really needs to be down below the starter of the engine if at all possible. In short as low in the bilge as possible with out risking water getting sucked up....

Now funny thing was I went home, decided to look at my blower set up... and although my blower hose was long enough... apparently during the last service visit the hose got moved out of the way and was off to the side behind the Trim pump.... not down in the bilge where it belonged... fixed the issue and we are happy again...

Sometimes you just have to watch, and then go home and look to pick up on things.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The last time I was watching inspections get done one of the things that got pointed out was the the blower hose really needs to be down below the starter of the engine if at all possible. In short as low in the bilge as possible with out risking water getting sucked up....

Now funny thing was I went home, decided to look at my blower set up... and although my blower hose was long enough... apparently during the last service visit the hose got moved out of the way and was off to the side behind the Trim pump.... not down in the bilge where it belonged... fixed the issue and we are happy again...

Sometimes you just have to watch, and then go home and look to pick up on things.
I actually did that myself. Mine was basically facing down on the cockpit floor! But it really doesn't seem to fit if I go much lower under the engine towards the transom.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
VitaBene

Default Batteries

Another thing that the PS Inspector, Tom, noted was that in many cases the positive battery post (s) were not protected. It seems that most of the boat manufacturers use the little plastic terminal covers fall off as they are not well suited to the bouncing a boat does.

I have my batteries in boxes which Tom prefers. Note that this was only a recommendation not a requirement but the concern is a short to ground from something else (light poles, tools, etc) jostling around while underway.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Default Making people aware

The Laconia Citizen ran a great article in today's paper regarding the safety checks and rally.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...870/-1/CITIZEN

also an article in the laconia daily sun today.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Great Service!

I had my boat done yesterday in Center Harbor and one of the recommendations made by the Power Squadron was to have second fire extinguisher. He said because of the size of my boat (24') a second extinguisher would be helpful in an emergency. He asked me if I knew how long one fire extinguisher would last and I honestly had no idea. He then said 7 seconds!!... I knew it wouldn't run long but had no idea it was that short! Needless to say a 2nd fire extinguisher was purchased and is now in my boat!

By the way, I wanted to make a donation to the power squadron for their time and effort and he would not accept it.

Thank you Power Squadron for the wonderful service you offer to the entire boating community!!

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
VitaBene

Dan,

What time were you there? A bunch of SBONH boaters were there there until 1100 or so.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I had my boat done yesterday in Center Harbor and one of the recommendations made by the Power Squadron was to have second fire extinguisher. He said because of the size of my boat (24') a second extinguisher would be helpful in an emergency. He asked me if I knew how long one fire extinguisher would last and I honestly had no idea. He then said 7 seconds!!... I knew it wouldn't run long but had no idea it was that short! Needless to say a 2nd fire extinguisher was purchased and is now in my boat!

By the way, I wanted to make a donation to the power squadron for their time and effort and he would not accept it.

Thank you Power Squadron for the wonderful service you offer to the entire boating community!!

Dan
Regarding fire extinguishers, one of the things the PS noted during many inspections is that the chemicals become compacted. If you shake your extinguisher, you should feel the chemicals sloshing around. If not, a few hits to the base of the extinguisher (against a wooden piling, etc) should free it up, otherwise all you will be spraying is propellant and no flame killing material.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
MAXUM

I stopped by yesterday morning as well and got inspected. Invaluable service and as usual it's nice to have the boat gone through. Big thanks to the SBONH and Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
OCDACTIVE

Default Success!!

Great day at Center Harbor! OCD passed with flying colors. Not one item missed (even the recommended items) The Safety Rally went very well also! We had about a dozen boats that proceeded from Ctr. Harbor to Long Island Bridge for a group picture, then across the broads, behind Bear Island and proceeded to the Naswa.

Thank you Woodsy for setting that up. The Naswa had tables reserved for us and we had a few VIP's along for the ride to see how invaluable the safety inspections are. Brian Bulldog Tilton of 107.7 the pulse, candidates Jim Forsythe and Andy Sanborn were along as well.

Thank you to the power squadron and sbonh members that came along. You made it a very successful event. There should be a few write ups in the local papers so keep an eye out.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Misty Blue

Default Thanks Tom!

I'm Coast Guard and Tom is USPS. Sort of friendly rivals that share mutual admiration. Tom brings the USPS up to the Lake in a grand, professional style. Kudos.

Please understand that the inspectors are civilians, not cops. Neither the USCG Aux. or the USPS can write a ticket. We just suggest and advise.

So the next time that you see the USPS in their red shirts or the USCG Aux in our blue shirts wave us over and we'll have some FUN!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Dan,

What time were you there? A bunch of SBONH boaters were there there until 1100 or so.
Vita;

We got there about 11:30 A.M.

Sorry I missed you guy's!

Dan
Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
ishoot308

Default Dejavu???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Regarding fire extinguishers, one of the things the PS noted during many inspections is that the chemicals become compacted. If you shake your extinguisher, you should feel the chemicals sloshing around. If not, a few hits to the base of the extinguisher (against a wooden piling, etc) should free it up, otherwise all you will be spraying is propellant and no flame killing material.
Well here's a story that will make a believer out of you...

Just this afternoon I was heading back to my island camp from the Glendale town docks when I see this bow rider waving their arms at me and I see smoke coming from their engine compartment. I immediately head right over to them. Apparently their engine (belt) had caught fire and their extingusiher would not work!! As I was reaching for mine to pass to them, theirs finally freed itself up by pounding on the bottom and they were able to put the fire out!! Precious seconds were lost though and had the fire been worse the ending would not be as happy.

Like I said in a previous post, thanks to the power squadron check, 2 fire extinguishers from now on and store them on their side!

All ended well in this story, Marine Patrol was called and they came out to access the situation. I then towed them to Silver Sands where their trailer was.

It could of been very different however!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-18-2010 at 07:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (07-18-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
OCDACTIVE

Here are a few shots from the inspections and safety rally.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
I'm Coast Guard and Tom is USPS. Sort of friendly rivals that share mutual admiration. Tom brings the USPS up to the Lake in a grand, professional style. Kudos.

Please understand that the inspectors are civilians, not cops. Neither the USCG Aux. or the USPS can write a ticket. We just suggest and advise.

So the next time that you see the USPS in their red shirts or the USCG Aux in our blue shirts wave us over and we'll have some FUN!

Misty Blue
MB,

Does the USCG Aux keep a list of where they are doing inspections. And are they doing any around the lakes region, or do they mainly focus their efforts out around the coastal waters.

Thanks....
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Default In Spections At Center Harbor

It was a nice day in Center Harbor, I was lucky enough to ride in on one boat and out on another thanks to great friends. But enough about that, what I want to talk about the inspections.

The docks where full, and the inspector was as busy as ever.. No they where not all SBONH boats that he was inspecting. In fact to my knowledge only 4 SBONH boats received inspections Sat. morning... Several others had previously been inspected over in Wolfeboro a few weeks back. Most of the boats inspect on Saturday, where people putting in for the day, or coming into town, for shopping by boat.

In fact there was a line of people waiting to get there boats inspected. Especially as people heard through talking on docks, that the inspection was free, there wouldn't be any fines, etc. The other thing I notice was people listening as boats got inspected. The awareness that was created on the docks Sat. Morning was very interesting, and energizing.
OCDACTIVE (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Vessel Safety Check

I had mine check that day at Center Harbor. For a 22 footer, the inspector says I have a great setup. I have two bilge pumps and a halon fire suppression system. Not many boats my size have that combination. Thanks to Formula by Thunderbird, one of the most safety conscious manufacturer, even back in 1988!

Since I use the intercoastal, I also have marine radio, flares, battery backup and a spare horn. I even have a mouth whistle on my PDF. May be overkill on Winnipesaukee but safety is utmost important!

The inspector notice the marine patrol safety sticker was placed on the wrong side of windshield.

I hope everyone on the lake get 'on the safety bandwagon'.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #25
OCDACTIVE

Default Vessel Safety Checks 7/24/10

The Lakes Region Power Squadron will be conducting vessel safety checks at Shep Browns Boat Basin this Saturday morning. Again these inspections are 100%free and confidential. It is important to recognize any issues before they become an emergency. Even the most experienced captains can benefit by a second pair of eyes.

This is an invaluable tool to keeping you and your family safe this summer.

For more information and schedules for upcoming inspections please visit:

www.lrsps.org or www.sbonh.org
The Following User Says Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-20-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
OCDACTIVE

I am hoping to post what requirements the power squadron checks (legal and recommended). This way those who can not make it to a vessel check point will still be able to check over their equipment themselves. I still recommend that you have an inspector look over your boat. There are many other items not listed that the power squadron are able to recognize as potential issues.

I should have the list after this weekend but if anyone has a copy please feel free to post.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I am hoping to post what requirements the power squadron checks (legal and recommended). This way those who can not make it to a vessel check point will still be able to check over their equipment themselves. I still recommend that you have an inspector look over your boat. There are many other items not listed that the power squadron are able to recognize as potential issues.

I should have the list after this weekend but if anyone has a copy please feel free to post.
See link: http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf

That's essentially the form they use. You need Acrobat reader installed on your system to open it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (07-21-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #28
Ryan

Default Rally around Lake Winnipesaukee teaches boating safety

Great Article on last weekend's Safety Rally, sponsored by SBONH.
OCDACTIVE (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #29
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up A copy/paste of the Safety Rally Article - no Adobe or scrolling needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Great Article on last weekend's Safety Rally, sponsored by SBONH.
Here's the above mentioned article (minus picture) from: THE MEREDITH NEWS JULY 22, 2010 page A3.

Rally around Lake Winnipesaukee teaches boating safety

BY ERIN PLUMMER
EPLUMMER@SALMONPRESS.COM

LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE
Safety and fun were the purposes of the first annual boating rally around Lake Winnipesaukee.

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire in conjunction with the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron held the first annual Lake Winnipesaukee Tour and Rally on Saturday, offering safety inspections to boats and spending a day on the lake.

The event was meant to raise awareness of boater safety and measures that can be done to keep boats safe that go beyond legal requirements.

“We’ve been trying to promote safety through the Lakes Region, trying to partner with different groups,” said Scott Verdonk, president of Safe Boaters of New Hampshire.

Verdonk said many boaters only focus on the safety measures required by law, such as having a life jacket, and are not aware of other measures to ensure safety or of how to handle themselves in a dangerous situation.

Verdonk said the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron already offers regular safety checks for boats.

“They’re able to work with your entire boat and look at it (in a way) that goes above and beyond just being legal, seeing things that might be potential problems,” Verdonk said. “A lot of the times good experience comes from bad experience. It would be better (with) somebody who was trained, a second pair of eyes.”

The rally started in Center Harbor where Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron did safety inspections with professionals. Over a dozen boats came to Center Harbor and received professional safety inspections.

The flotilla then did a tour around the lake, starting in Center Harbor and going around Long and Bow Islands as well as a run past the camps at Bear Island.

The rally stopped in Laconia for lunch hosted by the Naswa Beach Resort. The group was joined by Senate candidates Andy Sanborn and Jim Forsythe, House of Representatives candidate Laurie Sanborn, and radio show host Brian "Bulldog" Tilton of 107.7 The Pulse.

“Some just wanted to go for the inspection, others met us there for the lunch we had people coming in and out for a couple different hours,” Verdonk said.

Verdonk said the presence of candidates was welcome as Safe Boaters is supporting legislation, including switchable exhaust and allowing boaters on docks at night during bad weather.

Verdonk said there are hopes this will be an annual event.

“I think its just going to get bigger and bigger from here on in,” Verdonk said. “I just hope we can continue this in the future, just get the word out that the inspections are available to everybody and there’s things you can do beyond the legal requirements.”

Such measures include having lifejackets in reach and inspecting fire extinguishers.

“The more people you get together the less likely someone’s going to feel uncomfortable about asking a question,” Verdonk said.

-0-

Nice!

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-23-2010), OCDACTIVE (07-25-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #30
No-Mo-Shun

Default Vessel Safety Check

To find a list of items that are checked, look in the free Coast Guard booklet entitled "Federal Requirements & Safety Tips for Recreational Boats". Page 34 has the list. Page 35 has a list of additional recommended items you should carry aboard. This booklet should be available at marine stores that have a rack with boating safety literature. To find a list of vessel examiners of the Coast Guard Auxiliary or the US Power Squadrons, Google--"I Want A Vessel Safety Check". Type in your zip code and you will get the names and E-mail addresses of local examiners.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #31
OCDACTIVE

This coming weekend. August 7th, the Power Squadron will be conducting Free and Confidential Safety Inspections at: Silver Sands, Harilla and Waukewan.

August is one of the best boating months all year. Make sure you Boat is safe! It only takes 10 minutes to potentially save your entire summer of boating!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #32
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
This coming weekend. August 7th, the Power Squadron will be conducting Free and Confidential Safety Inspections at: Silver Sands, Harilla and Waukewan.

August is one of the best boating months all year. Make sure you Boat is safe! It only takes 10 minutes to potentially save your entire summer of boating!
Harilla it is!
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
OCDACTIVE

Default Final push for inspections

This Saturday Morning, August 21st, the Power Squadron will be conducting free safety inspections at Wolfeboro Town Docks in the morning. Not a bad idea to get inspected and start your xmas list for next year!!! There is still a lot of boating to go!!!

Last edited by OCDACTIVE; 08-19-2010 at 06:11 PM.