Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Downeast

Default Where is the limit? or is there even one..

Regarding more condos in Meredith..

'they're going stagger them and add some architectural features". "it's a really simple design" ... Give me a break. Rationalize it all you want, but it still does not hide the fact that the 'condo' development isn't welcome, let alone large multi-home subdivisions, unless of course, you are the one going for the money-grab with disregard to what you take away and what you leave behind.

The unfortunate reality is, there is nothing we can do about it unless area towns sit down to restructure planning/zoning etc and start looking ahead to where our towns are realistically headed regarding development. Before the bleeding has become so bad that there is nothing left, our towns need to consider putting on the brakes before it pops.

If left unchecked, This so called 'lake life' will puff up beyond a desirable growth and we're all going to find ourselves living and vacationing inside a grossly over-bloated Christmas turkey on top of an infrastructure that can hardly handle the volume as it is now.

--

Rokeh Consulting, LLC on behalf of Meredith Bay Realty, LLC- Proposed Site Plan to construct 5 multi-family units along with associated site improvements. Tax Map S23 Lot 105 A, located at Daniel Webster Highway and Upper Ladd Hill Road in the Central Business District.

This is one of many all over, but since covid, the rate of land development has turned up the pace and broken the knob right off.
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
marinewife

Development is happening all over at a frightening pace. Some call it progress and make fun of people who don't want new changes. My husband lived in NH in the 1970's and should've bought something then, but he didn't.

We are grateful we left suburban life to live here, and we have seen an unbelievable rush of people moving up since June 2020. Not everyone wants the work or expenses of a single family home, so I imagine condos will be coming to all of the lake towns sooner than later.

There are giant billboards at the mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel to NYC with large photos of the mountains and the headline is : Live Free- Move to NH

We're hopeful that condos don't take over the lakes region.
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
John Mercier

I think condos are coming in differing formats.
Whether it is a condo in the multi-family sense, or an HOA in a single family sense, or even a developed co-op, they all have the shared expense with more formal management detail.

This weird environment with historically low interest rates and supply chain disruptions is brutal.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
tbonies (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
Wshniwsfshn

They're building condos on Paugus bay also 6 building not sure how many units in each building but enough is enough the lake is too busy now it’s crazy
Wshniwsfshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
gillygirl

I moved to central Florida two years ago. If you want to see crazy development, come visit me. You definitely want towns around the lake to tap the brakes and look at what your infrastructure can handle. They aren't doing that down here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I moved to central Florida two years ago. If you want to see crazy development, come visit me. You definitely want towns around the lake to tap the brakes and look at what your infrastructure can handle. They aren't doing that down here.

Sorry to hear: I moved FROM there.
It’s a nice place 3 months per year if you can stay away from ANY new developments.

This means nowhere south, east or west of college park. Even crap areas like Avalon Park and Claremont are expensive now.

Places like champions gate, etc are depressingly cramped and vanilla. It’s almost like the movie Vivarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
It’s a nice place 3 months per year if you can stay away from ANY new developments.

This means nowhere south, east or west of college park. Even crap areas like Avalon Park and Claremont are expensive now.

Places like champions gate, etc are depressingly cramped and vanilla. It’s almost like the movie Vivarium.

I definitely wouldn't call Clermont a crap area. Better than Davenport, which is where I am. Definitely more expensive, but not as bad with excess development...yet. There's a new development going in down the street from me where the smallest home has 5 bedrooms, largest has 10. Obviously just a vacation resort development. Traffic trying to get into Championsgate at big holiday check-in times has traffic backed up for a couple of miles on the main drag, route 27. Resort development in Kissimmee was getting an outrageous number of calls to the sheriff's office for parties with 100s of people in attendance. Several murders there. Multiple times they've staged at a nearby 7-11 with a dozen vehicles before making entry. Don't let that happen up there.

tbonies (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I definitely wouldn't call Clermont a crap area. Better than Davenport, which is where I am. Definitely more expensive, but not as bad with excess development...yet. There's a new development going in down the street from me where the smallest home has 5 bedrooms, largest has 10. Obviously just a vacation resort development. Traffic trying to get into Championsgate at big holiday check-in times has traffic backed up for a couple of miles on the main drag, route 27. Resort development in Kissimmee was getting an outrageous number of calls to the sheriff's office for parties with 100s of people in attendance. Several murders there. Multiple times they've staged at a nearby 7-11 with a dozen vehicles before making entry. Don't let that happen up there.

Kissimmee is disgusting. Nothing redeeming about it at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (10-01-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

One of the things people see as necessary to the region is more lower priced homes to enable more workers to own their own homes. Additional lower priced homes around the lake may help the labor shortage that most area businesses are experiencing.

Condos are usually priced lower than single family homes but in the current market everything is expensive. Obviously, waterfront condos, such as at the old Barton's Motel site, are not low priced.

Lennar, one of the biggest home builders in the country has intentionally slowed down sales in it's Florida developments, only releasing a set number of home sites each month. Even with that reduction, just their southwest Florida division had over 500 closings in August. People are waiting in line to sign up for new homes. Recently, Lennar has used online bidding for individual homes, as they become available, and the prices have skyrocketed.

With property valuations everywhere up significantly it will be interesting to see where tax rates are set.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-02-2021), tbonies (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife View Post
Development is happening all over at a frightening pace. Some call it progress and make fun of people who don't want new changes. My husband lived in NH in the 1970's and should've bought something then, but he didn't.

We are grateful we left suburban life to live here, and we have seen an unbelievable rush of people moving up since June 2020. Not everyone wants the work or expenses of a single family home, so I imagine condos will be coming to all of the lake towns sooner than later.

There are giant billboards at the mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel to NYC with large photos of the mountains and the headline is : Live Free- Move to NH

We're hopeful that condos don't take over the lakes region.
Too late !!!
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
camp guy

Default Where is the limit...

Sadly, there is no limit. In the grand design of the progressive government, single-family homes will be slowly phased out in favor of multi-family housing. This will be done using a variety of techniques, mostly financial, and aimed at both municipalities and individualities. Mortgages for single-family homes will be harder to secure, federal monies for municipal infrastructure will decrease if the expected use of those monies is in areas of single-family housing, and, if the government gets its way in eliminating gas powered vehicles in favor of electric vehicles there may be less driving so people will want to live closer to their schools, work, and retail needs. The grand design condenses the living areas, reduces the need to travel, and makes travel more expensive and "clumsy" by having to recharge more frequently. And all of this doesn't even begin to encroach on the recreational aspect of live. Just wait until the government decides boating is unnecessary.

I may be all wet, and I don't expect this to happen overnight, but I do think some of what I say is accurate.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Reilly (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Sadly, there is no limit. In the grand design of the progressive government, single-family homes will be slowly phased out in favor of multi-family housing. This will be done using a variety of techniques, mostly financial, and aimed at both municipalities and individualities. Mortgages for single-family homes will be harder to secure, federal monies for municipal infrastructure will decrease if the expected use of those monies is in areas of single-family housing, and, if the government gets its way in eliminating gas powered vehicles in favor of electric vehicles there may be less driving so people will want to live closer to their schools, work, and retail needs. The grand design condenses the living areas, reduces the need to travel, and makes travel more expensive and "clumsy" by having to recharge more frequently. And all of this doesn't even begin to encroach on the recreational aspect of live. Just wait until the government decides boating is unnecessary.

I may be all wet, and I don't expect this to happen overnight, but I do think some of what I say is accurate.
Just remember none of this will apply to those chosen few over lords (politicians and other elites) who live in sprawling estates behind closed gates. They will have armed guards, walled off from the rest of society, and when they do travel it will be in an entourage of gas guzzling and ozone depleting SUVs that whisk them off to their private jets so to enjoy a lavish lifestyle. Do as I say not as I do.

For the rest of us peasants we will not be allowed to be so fortunate.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
bigdog (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
LakeDad

I’ve vacationed in the lakes region since I was a kid and grew up in southern NH.
I spent 26 years away, then started vacationing here again in 2018. I moved back here permanently this year.
It was actually surprising to me how much had NOT changed. I welcome this in most ways, but some change is inevitable.

I’m not making this political: I’m not partizan; both major political parties are full of crap and even libertarians are off on some weird planet fighting petty battles instead of ones that matter.
Extreme ends of the spectrums aside, I share some of the concerns, but it isn’t all bad and there is some opportunity in some of the change.

I can tell you this much: I didn’t come back here to try to make it like other states: No state income tax, no sales tax, lowish property tax, people who aren’t overly nosey, and general freedoms are what make this place great.

If you come here, bring a value or a job skill, don’t ask/vote for new entitlements and maybe we’ll be fine.

Some of this might be temporary: Covid has remote workers running for resort areas as a permanent residence, but some may run back when they realize it takes work to live where beauty and lifestyle comes before function.

Some won’t make it. They’ll be back to their concrete playground in no time.

The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
wobbelbill (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
mswlogo

Quote:

I can tell you this much: I didn’t come back here to try to make it like other states: No state income tax, no sales tax, lowish property tax, people who aren’t overly nosey, and general freedoms are what make this place great.
I hate to clue you but NH has the 3rd highest property tax in the country !!!
Gotta make up for the lack of state income tax somewhere, very disproportionately and unfairly I might add.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...taxes-by-state
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #15
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I hate to clue you but NH has the 3rd highest property tax in the country !!!
Gotta make up for the lack of state income tax somewhere, very disproportionately and unfairly I might add.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...taxes-by-state
Aww, an “internet researcher”..
“Let’s Google search for what we hope to be true”

I hate to clue you back, but those stats have nothing to do with many towns, ones that have very low taxes.
Freedom minded people usually look into this when they buy.

I’ll put it this way: My house here cost $100k more than my last house (and its a considerably bigger house here), but my property taxes here are still 70% less.

I also no longer pay state income tax.
Sales tax is now gone.
No association fee (by choice).
Fuel is cheaper.
Electricity is definitely cheaper.

Go try Illinois or California on for size, then try to talk about how expensive or disproportionate it is here.
It’s far cheaper to live here.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:12 AM   #16
mswlogo

Quote:
Aww, an “internet researcher”..
“Let’s Google search for what we hope to be true”

I hate to clue you back, but those stats have nothing to do with many towns, ones that have very low taxes.
Freedom minded people usually look into this when they buy.

I’ll put it this way: My house here cost $100k more than my last house (and its a considerably bigger house here), but my property taxes here are still 70% less.

I also no longer pay state income tax.
Sales tax is now gone.
No association fee (by choice).
Fuel is cheaper.
Electricity is definitely cheaper.

Go try Illinois or California on for size, then try to talk about how expensive or disproportionate it is here.
It’s far cheaper to live here.

It’s an average for the state. So maybe you live in a town nobody wants to have kids in, lucky you. Let me guess Moultonborough? It’s the number of kids that makes it vary so wildly. You stated it as if it applied to the whole state. It does not. Many towns around the lakes are quite expensive. Some towns are up to $35 on $1000.

On average, MA is cheaper on property tax.

Now it’s electricity too. You’re living in la la land. Northeast has some the highest electric rates in the country. NH is cheaper than MA but your comparing to a state that is very high. MA also has better net metering rates which makes Solar a bit more attractive.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:06 AM   #17
John Mercier

Though it isn't pertinent to the base question, NH does have income and sales taxes... we just do not use the general with exceptions method used by the others and have instead used the directed versions.

While the number of children in public schools does play into the equation somewhat, the historic numbers have shown that even when school districts see a decline in the student population, it does not grossly result in a decline in the school district budget.

Designed developments - condos, associations, co-ops, etc. - are generally the result of the initial developer reacting to the market forces around them.

Single family existing outside those is generally the result of a home builder/client partnership; and result in everything from the smaller camp/cottages to the mansions that we see throughout the area.

Though interest rates and demographics - boomers are in or nearing retirement - are driving our housing market both faster and in differing directions than what we perceive to be the historic norm... it is more due to the long cycle.

Designed development had been with us in the area for a long time, we just don't always perceive it to be that way... and it too will age into the system.

Parts of Laconia were heavily built out after WWII with the returning vets and the GI Bill, those areas now seem to be small neighborhoods... but in there day were considered the way we consider the new developments to be out-of-place.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:54 AM   #18
rsmlp

Default just for the record

NH has a 5% dividend tax from dollar one. It has the 6th highest electricity rates in the country and on average one of the highest RE property tax. True, no income tax or sales tax but don't forget crazy high registration tax and 9% meal and hotel tax.

Lower in general than most states but they gotta get $ from somewhere!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #19
fatlazyless

As of last Friday October 1st, the NH meals, hotel and car rental tax has actually been reduced from 9 to 8.5%. This is real Republican tax reform, smashing the meals tax down to 8.5% ..... ho-ho-ho-ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho ! ... and this is about all the state tax reform that NH will ever get ... big deal, one half of one percent off the meals tax!

Anyway, so much for my theatrics, and with regard to the original first post in this thread, I believe the location for proposed townhouses on Upper Ladd Hill Rd and Daniel Webster Hgwy is behind the Meredith roundabout, and behind the Northway Bank. It is a lot that used to have a small single family house that was demolished not too long ago by the former owner to make it easier to sell as a commercial lot so the former owner probably was very happy to complete his sale to the new townhouse developer. This lot probably has access to town water and maybe town sewer(?) as well.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #20
Jeanzb1

Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default NH tax trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
NH has a 5% dividend tax from dollar one. It has the 6th highest electricity rates in the country and on average one of the highest RE property tax. True, no income tax or sales tax but don't forget crazy high registration tax and 9% meal and hotel tax.

Close...There is a $2400 exemption, so not dollar one. The budget passed this year phases out the I & D tax so it will be gone soon. The Meals and Rooms tax was reduced to 8.5% as of Oct. 1, 2021. Business taxes have alo been reduced as we meet certain revenue thresholds.
Some smaller towns have done good job of encouraging landowners to put current use land into conservation easements which limits development....if that's what you want to do.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #22
John Mercier

Those towns are now complaining about the effect that current use has on the local tax rate.

https://www.nhbr.com/current-use-sys...-to-taxpayers/
Old 10-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #23
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
As of last Friday October 1st, the NH meals, hotel and car rental tax has actually been reduced from 9 to 8.5%. This is real Republican tax reform, smashing the meals tax down to 8.5% ..... ho-ho-ho-ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho ! ... and this is about all the state tax reform that NH will ever get ... big deal, one half of one percent off the meals tax!

Anyway, so much for my theatrics, and with regard to the original first post in this thread, I believe the location for proposed townhouses on Upper Ladd Hill Rd and Daniel Webster Hgwy is behind the Meredith roundabout, and behind the Northway Bank. It is a lot that used to have a small single family house that was demolished not too long ago by the former owner to make it easier to sell as a commercial lot so the former owner probably was very happy to complete his sale to the new townhouse developer. This lot probably has access to town water and maybe town sewer(?) as well.
The one behind Ippolito's? There were a couple up there. My brother rented the one behind Ippolito's (owned by the Ippolito's) in the late 90s. I can't remember if it had city sewer/water, but I believe the water tower was just up the mountain, so I believe that road should have water/sewer access.

Slowly moving the tax rates around to stay competitive with other States.
For BPT/BET, the competition is against the other 49 States. NH used to talk of the NH Advantage - which was a tax/energy rate advantage over Mass - but manufacturers in the US generally now think in East-West or Quad format.
NH will not be the lowest East of the Mississippi, but is attempting to be the lowest on those in the Northeast.

For the Meals & Rental, Vermont is at 9%, Maine is at 8%, and Mass is at 6.25%. People aren't likely to travel to more than the surrounding State - if they are even close to a border - to safe the difference; so the change only has to be very subtle on that rate and can be lowered over time.
The bigger argument is over the distribution of the revenue proceeds.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #24
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Those towns are now complaining about the effect that current use has on the local tax rate.

https://www.nhbr.com/current-use-sys...-to-taxpayers/
Thanks for that link, John. To me this is a north/south issue in many respects. Towns in the south are going to the state LCHIP program for grants to buy land which will then yield no tax revenue at all. They are also going to the Clean Drinking and Groundwater Fund for grants and low cost loans to buy land to protect aquifers and surface waters used as local water supplies. In the north country, LCHIP grants are used more for buying and restoring historic buildings. I believe, starting ~50 years ago, development in eastern Hillsborough County and Rcokingham County, got way ahead of local and state planners and local zoning did not adequately address the need and layout of open space.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #25
John Mercier

Correct.
But that was when the pressure on the southern tier was based on employment in the area and in Mass, with home ownership in southern NH causing a rapid build out.

Boomers were just entering their adult employment years during that time and starting families... now those boomers are in/entering retirement, and not looking to reside close to employment.

It is why weekend vacation homes on the mainland around the lake are moving from seasonal to permanent residence.
With covid and remote work, it just sped the process up.

We already had a tight housing market, so now we have to build our way out of it. Demand just isn't likely to go away. And I think some of that pressure will start to be absorbed in the north.

I think that may be why Hancock purchased Winni, not only do you block other competitors, but you lock in an area that they expect will help them capture more of that growth on the eastern side of the WMNF.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #26
Descant

In the 60's I worked with guys who had two jobs and you could buy a rural house in Laconia (White Oaks Rd) for $6000. Proud folks who didn't want and probably would not accept welfare and all the other programs we have today. I'm not sure we're better off now, at least in terms of quality of life. Same thing when I lived in Maine in the early 70's while I was in the Navy.

Huge turnaround when I came back in 1975. I guess everybody was making more money, but I don't know that everybody was really better off in terms of quality of life. I'm not sure how you define that.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:43 PM   #27
John Mercier

Welfare isn't driving this.
People moving to the area for retirement is.
Those people are using Medicare and Social Security with whatever they have put aside and maybe a pension.

Remote work is more of a technology thing... and just adds to the situation.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #28
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Welfare isn't driving this.
People moving to the area for retirement is.
Those people are using Medicare and Social Security with whatever they have put aside and maybe a pension.

Remote work is more of a technology thing... and just adds to the situation.
Pensions…. What a great thing the rest of our generations will never get. These young kids couldn’t imagine having incentive to actually be loyal to a company rather than the faux promise of perform above your goals and you’ll get a 2%-3% raise every year.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #29
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post

NH dividend tax is rolling back to 0 over a several year period. We are way lower than most states.
FL is arguably a little bit cheaper overall: They have a sales tax, but lower property tax and less “seasonal” costs.
Too close to call.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #30
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
It’s an average for the state. So maybe you live in a town nobody wants to have kids in, lucky you. Let me guess Moultonborough? It’s the number of kids that makes it vary so wildly. You stated it as if it applied to the whole state. It does not. Many towns around the lakes are quite expensive. Some towns are up to $35 on $1000.

On average, MA is cheaper on property tax.

Now it’s electricity too. You’re living in la la land. Northeast has some the highest electric rates in the country. NH is cheaper than MA but your comparing to a state that is very high. MA also has better net metering rates which makes Solar a bit more attractive.

I paid significantly more in electric in both Illinois and in FL (in smaller homes). Granted, in Florida, you need AC 24/7 10 months per year.

My house is 5900 SQ ft and my FL house was only 1900.
My Illinois home was 3500, had triple pane glass and was heated with fuel. Still paid more for power.

No la la land. Fact land. I (albeit surprisingly) pay less here. My FL and Illinois power bills were high 300s, sometimes approaching 400. I’ve never been over 230 here, and thats with a central unit covering 2 floors as well as 2 splits on the bottom floor . They all ran all summer long.

Some of you might not realize how good we have it..

Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #31
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Pensions…. What a great thing the rest of our generations will never get. These young kids couldn’t imagine having incentive to actually be loyal to a company rather than the faux promise of perform above your goals and you’ll get a 2%-3% raise every year.
Well, if all goes as predicted by Greenspan for Reagan and O'Neil, the SS Trust Fund will go insolvent in the mid-2030s. So anyone on SS at that time, including those that are already receiving checks, will see about a 20% decline in comparable monthly checks as those currently being received.

Since the SS checks replace approximately 40% of pre-retirement annual earned income, that means that after the insolvency they should expect a replacement of on 32%. Using the 4% Rule - and that itself is questionably high as an expectation - they will need to save about 2.5X annual earned income just to be even with today's retirees.

With Medicare Part A Trust Fund slated for insolvency even earlier, lots of issues for those that are late boomers and everyone afterward.

Personally, I plan on following the tradition of my grandfather and great grandfather. They were farmers and loggers, with some time in construction and manufacturing (something farmers had to be to survive back then); they believed that we should work until we receive last rites.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:21 AM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Personally, I plan on following the tradition of my grandfather and great grandfather. They were farmers and loggers, with some time in construction and manufacturing (something farmers had to be to survive back then); they believed that we should work until we receive last rites.
Read the book 'The Greatest Generation' by Tom Brokaw. It's a fact that this generation knows how to be frugal and knows the value of saving for the future. But as always history is never learned.

My family were farmers as well. Dad worked until he discovered he had cancer. 18 months retirement, yet he was a proud man, accomplished what he wanted in life, to provide a family. I am proud of him. He may not leave much as far as material wealth but he left an experience we all can look back on.

Even though I am retired from my field of work, I still provide a wealth of support to non-profits and advocate for those who have physical disabilities especially those who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 10-11-2021 at 07:45 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #33
rsmlp

Default nonsense

Quote:
Well, if all goes as predicted by Greenspan for Reagan and O'Neil, the SS Trust Fund will go insolvent in the mid-2030s. So anyone on SS at that time, including those that are already receiving checks, will see about a 20% decline in comparable monthly checks as those currently being received.

Since the SS checks replace approximately 40% of pre-retirement annual earned income, that means that after the insolvency they should expect a replacement of on 32%. Using the 4% Rule - and that itself is questionably high as an expectation - they will need to save about 2.5X annual earned income just to be even with today's retirees.

With Medicare Part A Trust Fund slated for insolvency even earlier, lots of issues for those that are late boomers and everyone afterward.

Rubbish. SS has been on the verge of "insolvency" for years-probably decades. Seniors make up an ever growing percentage of the voting public and it is crazy talk to suggest the politicians will disregard this group. There are plenty of solutions to this scenario almost assuredly involving raising taxes. The easiest one to imagine is raising or removing he cap that wage earners pay into SS on.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #34
Billy Bob

Quote:
I paid significantly more in electric in both Illinois and in FL (in smaller homes). Granted, in Florida, you need AC 24/7 10 months per year.

My house is 5900 SQ ft and my FL house was only 1900.
My Illinois home was 3500, had triple pane glass and was heated with fuel. Still paid more for power.

No la la land. Fact land. I (albeit surprisingly) pay less here. My FL and Illinois power bills were high 300s, sometimes approaching 400. I’ve never been over 230 here, and thats with a central unit covering 2 floors as well as 2 splits on the bottom floor . They all ran all summer long.

Some of you might not realize how good we have it..
You actually paid substantially LESS per KH in both Illinois and Florida . New Hampshire has the highest or second highest , depending on the month, cost per KWH in the lower 48 states . And the lakes region is higher then Southern NH
You probably have more efficient appliances then you did previously which makes sense.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #35
John Mercier

The SS Trust Fund has not been on the verge of insolvency since the payroll tax increase and reforms were put in place in 1984.
The current balance is listed at $2.91 trillion, and the SS puts out a required statement each year. https://www.ssa.gov/policy/trust-funds-summary.html

When you remove the cap, the only way for it to actually cover a decent percentage of the gap is to cap the benefits.

The SSA also does projections on each proposal. https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/proj...ons/index.html

People currently earning over the tax cap will see that SS will replace even less of their current earned income, so they must save even more than the average... and the numbers seem to show that they are not saving nearly enough to maintain their current lifestyle.

The 40% replacement rate for SS benefits is based on median incomes, those far below see a greater percentage, and those closer to the cap see a smaller percentage. The replacement rates for earnings above the cap is zero... that must be completely done with savings.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #36
Downeast

What were we talking about? .. And just like that, the train has left the tracks lol. Y'all r on yer own from here lol.
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:06 PM   #37
John Mercier

The current market demand for housing in the area... and the factors that might curtail it.