Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Unvaccinated home maintenance workers

I'm bringing this up as an update to the other closed thread. In hopes of not closing this one, let me state first that I have absolutely no political intention in raising this question. It is purely about self-protection as it looks like we will be going into a third year of the pandemic.

At this point the rate of full vaccination in New Hampshire remains stagnant at 54% and the state is on another steep upward trend in infections: https://www.covid19.nh.gov/dashboard/overview

We now know that the effectiveness of the vaccines declines after about 6 months. We can't predict the effectiveness of a 3rd booster. We know that vaccinated people can become infected and that both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can spread Covid-19 even if they have no symptoms. The vast majority of people in stores are not wearing masks, even though half of them haven't been vaccinated. Therefore there is no sure way of protecting yourself at this time, especially with Delta now being the predominant strain.

Here's the problem: you can't postpone everything in your life for years. At some point you have to go to the dentist, get your house and car repaired, etc.

Update on my experience: I recently had approximately 15 people on my property inspecting and dealing with my roof replacement and drywall damage. Only two were vaccinated or claimed to be vaccinated; the others said they were not (I asked). So the norm is that trades people are not vaccinated. I later found out that one who claimed to be vaccinated had a long criminal record. When someone says they're vaccinated, you have no proof of that.

At this point, I'm left contemplating doing interior repairs myself---stripping wallpaper, taping and sanding drywall, etc.---along with heavy physical tasks that I probably shouldn't be doing for safety reasons.

I don't think there are any solutions here. Exterior work is one thing, but there's no way I'll hire someone for inside work as long as the pandemic continues and the vaccination rate is so low. It's a sad state of affairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
trfour (09-10-2021)