Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question New Used Boat Repairs...

Non-Slip Marine Paint

Last September we purchased a used center console, C-Hawk 235. We are absolutely thrilled with her!!! We are working on improvements and one of those is the non-skid top paint for the gunwales and bow. I am looking for input on what product to use. I do not want to do this twice. For ease of operation, I’d like to be able to apply it here at the island.

So far I am looking at Total Tread by Total Boat and Rust-Oleum Marine topside paint. Leaning to Total Tread.

Thanks in advance for your valuable input!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 06-12-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
fatlazyless

I've used the small 1/2 pint can of Rustoleum anti-slip additive, silica particles, that you stir into a quart of some other appropriate paint. It sells at Lowe's for like 3.99/1/2 pt. Used it to do the floor on an 11' Andrea Dory fiberglass row boat combined with medium grey latex deck paint, and it really works and increases the friction for bare feet or sneakers by a whole lot depending on how much you stir into the paint.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
chasedawg

Default Total Tread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Non-Slip Marine Paint

Last September we purchased a used center console, C-Hawk 235. We are absolutely thrilled with her!!! We are working on improvements and one of those is the non-skid top paint for the gunwales and bow. I am looking for input on what product to use. I do not want to do this twice. For ease of operation, I’d like to be able to apply it here at the island.

So far I am looking at Total Tread by Total Boat and Rust-Oleum Marine topside paint. Leaning to Total Tread.

Total Boat makes great products. I have been told by friends Total Tread is great for non-skid applications. Jamestown Distributors Bristol, RI carries Total Boat.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-09-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

RG I have no input for you, however please share your results once you have completed this.... and Good luck...
Old 06-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Non-Slip Marine Paint

R-Gal;

Not to change your mind on paint but just curious if you gave a prime and apply type product any thought? Something like a "SeaDek" or similar?... It's easily applied, very comfortable on the feet, tons of color and pattern options and once applied its there for the duration.

If you really wanted to minimize the expense, instead of having your entire gunwale patterned for the product, they do make step pads in different configurations that work out very well. You could place them in strategic locations where needed at a fraction of the cost of going custom.

Just another idea to ponder and good luck with whatever route you take!

Dan
Rattlesnake Gal (06-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
rozbeezer

Default Non slip

Add a handful of clean white sand to any paint that you use and that will take care of it,
rozbeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rozbeezer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking SeaDek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
R-Gal;

Not to change your mind on paint but just curious if you gave a prime and apply type product any thought? Something like a "SeaDek" or similar?... It's easily applied, very comfortable on the feet, tons of color and pattern options and once applied its there for the duration.

If you really wanted to minimize the expense, instead of having your entire gunwale patterned for the product, they do make step pads in different configurations that work out very well. You could place them in strategic locations where needed at a fraction of the cost of going custom.

Just another idea to ponder and good luck with whatever route you take!

Dan
Thanks for your response, Dan! I think the SeaDek May be just the thing for the inside floor! Expecting our first grandchild any day, so a toddler next season. When I made mention of painting the floor, I had three guys yell at me in unison - NO! SeaDek looks like a comfy alternative. That was one thing about the old boat I liked, the cushion factor was excellent,l. I am spoiled. Lol.

This 1995 beauty had a small tree fall across the bow rails years ago. The previous owner got a new rail, but it was not exactly the same. He preferred the taller one, so he could get into the boat through the rail at the ramp. (Rubberized keel!). We installed the new rail and the tree damage needs repair and then covering up. We decided on Total Tread.

Totally loving my new toy. I mean our new toy. Lol. Dave R help weed out so many boats. This center console is perfect for this gal that has no depth perception. Gaining confidence each trip I make. Loving island/lake life.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
brk-lnt

AwlGrip GripTex (http://www.awlgrip.com/products/auxilliary/griptex.aspx) added to AwlGrip topcoat of your choice would be the recommended paint approach.