Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2022, 06:54 AM   #1
Juiced06GTO

Default 110 Rattlesnake Is.

I know we have a few Rattlesnake residents on here, is anyone on here familiar with this property? I reached out to the agent, but while I am waiting to hear back just wondering if they or a neighbor might be on here? Somehow I missed when it was first listed....

Thanks all!
Anthony
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #2
Juiced06GTO

Heard back from the agent today. Apparently the property is owned by the town of Alton. Sounds like it has a home made septic design w no approved plans on file w the state, but the current holding tank system is in functional condition. Trying to set up a visit with the agent to see what we are dealing with!
Old 08-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Good luck, friend—looks like a great place!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Looks super! I really like the grandfathered proximity to the water. In this market I would let the septic system stop me, but I would plan on dropping $30K(?) to have a professional bring it up to code or close. It's a time bomb if you don't.

Good luck!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
thebix

Default Better check the town for what is actually approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Looks super! I really like the grandfathered proximity to the water. In this market I would let the septic system stop me, but I would plan on dropping $30K(?) to have a professional bring it up to code or close. It's a time bomb if you don't.

Good luck!
I'm familiar with that part of Rattlesnake. I'd be surprised if the steep rocky hill there would support a septic. Might have to pump way up the hill to find any soil that would pass a perk test.

As far as grandfathered - i see a listing that says build in 2008 so it would need to pass all town and state shore front rules and setbacks or have a registered variance. I know of a log cabin a few lots down from this one that went up in the early 80's that didn't get his permits but was like 20' from the lake. I believe he eventually got a variance, after the fact.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2022, 06:05 AM   #6
Juiced06GTO

It looks like there has been some type of cottage there since at least 98, there was permits pulled for the addition in 08. Grover septic did a site assessment and said it is grandfathered in for a 4 bed septic, of course with all applicable permits etc.

We'll see what happens, still waiting on the agent to see if we can actually get out there.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

When you pass by Rattlesnake Island it looks like there is so much ledge it would be hard to get a 4 bedroom septic system installed that would pass. I hope that you can get there.

I had a friend that owned an island on Winnipesaukee and there was no way to put a septic system in that would pass an inspection. He ended up putting in a 1,000 gallon underground holding tank and had to have it pumped whenever it go close to full. It always seemed like a pain in the neck but he loved his island home.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #8
Juiced06GTO

Lots going on with this property, thanks to Nancy Deporter for reaching out and filling me in! We'll be skipping this one!

The people on this forum really are great, nice to have some honest people out there willing to help out with info and advise, I know she isn't on the forum much anymore, but thanks again Nancy!
Old 08-12-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Lots going on with this property, thanks to Nancy Deporter for reaching out and filling me in! We'll be skipping this one!

The people on this forum really are great, nice to have some honest people out there willing to help out with info and advise, I know she isn't on the forum much anymore, but thanks again Nancy!
From the sounds of it, you might have dodged a bullet.

A (humble) note of advice: some years ago, my parents and I were looking to buy and build on land. During the long process, we found a piece and put a deposit on it knowing that we'd have to figure out septic, etc. Shortly after the deposit, we discovered there was ledge and that it would take a bit more work to build. Onward. Shortly after that, we discovered the shape of the land would require a steeper-than-we-wanted driveway. Onward. Eventually, we discovered that the neighbor had a shallow well that would require us to not only reconfigure our septic but maybe redrill their well (Vermont regulations = stringent) to make it happen. That was the eye-opener.

Ultimately, we walked away with our deposit (citing undisclosed land conditions), but we realized we were pushing too hard to make things work and, in doing so, overlooked a lot.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:02 AM   #10
mswlogo

Quote:
It looks like there has been some type of cottage there since at least 98, there was permits pulled for the addition in 08. Grover septic did a site assessment and said it is grandfathered in for a 4 bed septic, of course with all applicable permits etc.

We'll see what happens, still waiting on the agent to see if we can actually get out there.
There is no such thing as a grandfathered septic.
You are allowed to use an existing septic if it’s functioning.
But if it fails it must be replaced with a state approved system.
And if they can’t put one in it needs to be a holding tank.

Now some people illegally repair their existing systems.
And there are lots of advanced systems today that can deal with difficult locations.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
Garcia

Quote:
I know we have a few Rattlesnake residents on here, is anyone on here familiar with this property? I reached out to the agent, but while I am waiting to hear back just wondering if they or a neighbor might be on here? Somehow I missed when it was first listed....

Thanks all!
Anthony
If you don’t mind my asking what is your price range? Every once in a while things come up but don’t hit the market
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
Juiced06GTO

As cheap as possible lol….

In all seriousness around the 500 mark is the most we’d be looking to spend. The problem is that in my mind 500 is too much for an island cottage unless it is really nice and way to little to get anything on the mainland.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
As cheap as possible lol….

In all seriousness around the 500 mark is the most we’d be looking to spend. The problem is that in my mind 500 is too much for an island cottage unless it is really nice and way to little to get anything on the mainland.
The reality is that a "really nice" island cottage is now in the 750 plus range.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #14
Juiced06GTO

Exactly. Oh well I’ve got some time (hopefullly) on my side. I’m 38 w three boys the oldest being 8 and youngest 4, if we have to sit on the sidelines for a few years until the right place comes along so be it. Until then it’s save save save! And rent for a week every summer!

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this!
Old 08-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #15
Momofthreema

Quote:
Exactly. Oh well I’ve got some time (hopefullly) on my side. I’m 38 w three boys the oldest being 8 and youngest 4, if we have to sit on the sidelines for a few years until the right place comes along so be it. Until then it’s save save save! And rent for a week every summer!

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this!
To be honest, I'm kind of glad we didn't buy when our kids were younger. We would have missed a lot of opportunity to be up there with sports tourneys and weekend commitments at home. Now that our kids are teens/young adults, it gives us more flexibility on coming and going because everyone can either come or stay home if they have other commitments.
All of this to say...you are totally correct, you have plenty of time to find the right place, and time is definitely on your side so definitely wait for the right place for your family!
Momofthreema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Don't let it go to market

You may wait a long time for a real estate listing. Find a place you like, rent it every year for longer periods of time. Have the boys send cards and letters praising the camp and great times they have there. After awhile you can offer to buy with a lifetime occupancy for the seller, reducing their time as you increase yours periodically. After awhile, you will all know it is inevitable that you will buy. If the owner has kids in California who think they will get rich on the sale when Grandma dies, be careful.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #17
bwalsh

oddly specific

This property might be a good candidate for an advanced tertiary wastewater system some day. They are fridge-sized enclosed systems that can enable people to build homes on ledge, near water etc. Couple years back a city eng told me there will come a time where these systems are preferred due to the rising costs of construction manhours and land value. When that tipping point occurs, certain municipalities will prefer/require this type of OWTS, and eventually states. Thought that was interesting

How do people get back and forth to island houses when the lake is sorta frozen but not really?
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
oddly specific

This property might be a good candidate for an advanced tertiary wastewater system some day. They are fridge-sized enclosed systems that can enable people to build homes on ledge, near water etc. Couple years back a city eng told me there will come a time where these systems are preferred due to the rising costs of construction manhours and land value. When that tipping point occurs, certain municipalities will prefer/require this type of OWTS, and eventually states. Thought that was interesting

How do people get back and forth to island houses when the lake is sorta frozen but not really?
They don't. But options like a hovercraft are available.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #19
TheTimeTraveler

I have always wondered if there are any brave folks who live on any one of the many islands all year long?

Anyone have any idea?
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:51 AM   #20
The Real BigGuy

Don’t know now but George used to live on Cow year round. He had a hovercraft or airboat for transportation

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Bob and Jan Dean lived year round on Lockes Is for a few years. There's probably a specific thread on this many years ago.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote