Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
bumble71

Exclamation Winnipesaukee Bay Gulls??

Can someone please tell me how Wiknnipesaukee Bay Gulls gets away with charging the prices that they do?? Don't get me wrong...the bagels are made the way all bagels should be, and are very good, but hello????? The other day it cost me $9+ for a bacon, egg and cheese and a plain bagel w/cream cheese!!
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
ITD

Pretty simple, people pay it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
fatlazyless

...no kidding.....nine dollars....well..well....now I know the reason why I've never stopped in there although I driven past about 3500 times.....still miss the excellent bagels from Jackson Star......4/1.89 in maybe six different styles including pumperknickle......Plymouth Wal-Mart has ok home-made bagels but not as good as Jackson Star, which no longer exists...

Meredith McDonald's has real good McBagel breakfast steak & bagel sandwiches for about $3.50, and only about 900 calories.....real bagels ........real steak.....& some real calories!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Mr. V

I have bagels at work for lunch everyday, with a dab of margarine.

My wife buys them from the Winco market (we're on the Left Coast), at 35 cents each, or 25 cents when on sale.

Really tasty.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
ripley

Default Baygulls

I ate there yesterday: Bagel, scrambled eggs, sausage, coffee and 50 cents for the union leader newspaper = $6.60
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
twoplustwo

They have the best bagels around, they are a small outfit - lower volume means higher prices, and all restaurants have had to up their prices in the past 2 years.

When gas went sky high, all of the food services companies jacked up delivery fees. Gas went back down, and the delivery fees remained the same. Food prices have also gone up, all around.

Their bagels cannot be matched anywhere in this state, they are the best. I have no problem paying for the best from very nice, local people.

There has to be a place around here that you like. Maybe you should try a positive post for once.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
dpg (12-08-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
hazelnut

Winnipesaukee BayGulls is a local business small mom and pop shop. These are the types of businesses that are a dying breed. Unfortunately Dunkins, McDonalds, and the WalMarts of the world is destroying the charm of towns like Moultonboro and Center Harbor. It is too bad because you do get what you pay for. The Bagel Sandwiches at Winni Bagels blows away the fast food slung at Dunkins and McD's.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
colt17 (11-23-2009), Cristen (12-15-2009), Jonas Pilot (11-22-2009), Newbiesaukee (11-22-2009), Smitty1 (11-24-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
bumble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
They have the best bagels around, they are a small outfit - lower volume means higher prices, and all restaurants have had to up their prices in the past 2 years.

When gas went sky high, all of the food services companies jacked up delivery fees. Gas went back down, and the delivery fees remained the same. Food prices have also gone up, all around.

Their bagels cannot be matched anywhere in this state, they are the best. I have no problem paying for the best from very nice, local people.

There has to be a place around here that you like. Maybe you should try a positive post for once.
There are tons of places around the lakes region that I think are fantastic, some are large volume restaurants and some are small, and for the most part, NONE of them have increased their menu prices. The cost of doing business is always changing, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse, going forward though, the economy has had an impact on everyone, especially here in the lakes region. The restaurants that conduct business in an appropriate manner, adjust their expenses so not to have to RAISE their prices, and possibly LOSE some customer base. As far as Baygulls having some of the best bagels around...absolutley, I agree, but where talking about bagels, that they make in house, not buy from a vendor. Their prices are not warranted.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post
..... it cost me $9+ for a bacon, egg and cheese and a plain bagel w/cream cheese!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
... Bagel, scrambled eggs, sausage, coffee and 50 cents for the union leader newspaper = $6.60
I believe the question is, why the discrepancy in price? ummmm.... are you sure on the $9+
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
twoplustwo

#1, they still have to buy the ingredients that they use to make the bagels. Those ingredients are delivered. Delivery charges have increased ridiculously, any restaurant will tell you that is hurting their bottom line.

#2, you haven't been to a single restaurant in the area who's raised prices? You don't go out much (and the $1 menu with FLL doesn't count).

#3, wifi - he had 2 different sandwiches, thus the discrepancy.

bumble, I don't think you've had a nice word to say about any local business since you got here.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Can someone please tell me how Wiknnipesaukee Bay Gulls gets away with charging the prices that they do?? Don't get me wrong...the bagels are made the way all bagels should be, and are very good, but hello????? The other day it cost me $9+ for a bacon, egg and cheese and a plain bagel w/cream cheese!!
Did you have a cup of coffee (and what size) with the breakfast? If you didn't, then the price is a little high.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
ripley

Quote:
#1, they still have to buy the ingredients that they use to make the bagels. Those ingredients are delivered. Delivery charges have increased ridiculously, any restaurant will tell you that is hurting their bottom line.

#2, you haven't been to a single restaurant in the area who's raised prices? You don't go out much (and the $1 menu with FLL doesn't count).

bumble, I don't think you've had a nice word to say about any local business since you got here.
this was my first time there: My dog was getting groomed so I wanted to stay close by and thought i'd try it

We had the same sandwich...you get a choice of bacon, ham or sausage. I just asked them to leave the cheese off...i think his addition needs work or that he worked at a restaurant once upon a time, knows everything and is here to teach us how its done.

RIPLEY
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripley For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (04-05-2017)
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
bumble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Did you have a cup of coffee (and what size) with the breakfast? If you didn't, then the price is a little high.
no. just the sandwich and bagel
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
bumble71

Quote:

Twoplustwo, you must be the owner of a restaurant?? You seem to THINK you know the business?? And as far as your comment #3, when did I have two sandwiches??
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
this was my first time there: My dog was getting groomed so I wanted to stay close by and thought i'd try it

We had the same sandwich...you get a choice of bacon, ham or sausage. I just asked them to leave the cheese off...i think his addition needs work or that he worked at a restaurant once upon a time, knows everything and is here to teach us how its done.

RIPLEY
Hey Ripley,

Just curious if you liked it at all. With regard to the price, albeit a bit high, did you feel that the sandwich was better than say Dunkins or McD's? I'd like to hear your review.

Thanks

So, I was trying to get pricing from the web on DD's and McD's but I couldn't find any reliable source. I found a range of prices for a Coffee and Bagel Sandwich at DD's was anywhere from $3.00 - $4.00. McDonalds was somewhere around the $3.00 mark. I'd like to hear an accurate report from someone who goes to the Meredith McDonalds, the Moultonboro Dunkins. I know that you can find $1.00 items on the menu but I was looking for an accurate comparison of a Bagel with meat, eggs and cheese.

Anyway, my point is we are talking about a small local retail operation. In no way could they compete with those large corporate outfits and their high volume pricing. It also looks to me that it is a matter of $2.00 - $3.00 difference. I know that every little penny helps in this economy but if you REALLY want to save then make it at home folks. I know I have tried Dunkins and McD's Breakfast Sandwiches and they are no comparison to Winni Baygulls. If I can I go to Winni Baygulls when I am in town. I'd rather see my extra $2.00 help out a local family. I guess if I were buying breakfast every single morning I might look at it a bit differently. I couldn't blame you for considering that you could get 2 days worth of breakfast for the price of one at Winni Baygulls. But if we are splitting hairs over a once in a while treat?
Personally if you don't mind a frozen reheated slapped together fast food sandwich then have at it. I'll spent the extra $2.00 to get a fresh homemade bagel sandwich from a local business owner any day.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
twoplustwo

Twoplustwo, you must be the owner of a restaurant?? You seem to THINK you know the business?? And as far as your comment #3, when did I have two sandwiches??

I've worked in restaurants on and off my entire adult life. I work in one now. I've been an adult for a long time. I THINK I know the business because I've worked in it forfreakingever.

You had a sandwich, and a bagel with cream cheese. I should have said 2 items, not 2 sandwiches, but that's pretty darn close to semantics and splitting hairs.

And again, I've never heard you utter a positive word about a single business. The North Shore is just a sub shop (which it isn't), The Wolfeboro Diner is overpriced, Winni Bagels is overpriced. You are the Debbie Downer of the restaurant section of the forum. Wah wah wah.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
You are the Debbie Downer of the restaurant section of the forum. Wah wah wah.

Here is Debbie at her best:

Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
Yosemite Sam

Quote:

I was in Center Harbor this morning repairing a roof for a client (I do odd jobs to supplement my retirement income). So I decided to have breakfast at Winnipesaukee Bay Gull.

I had bacon, egg and cheese in a plain bagel....$4.25 and a plain bagel with cream cheese (to eat later) ...$2.50. Total bill was $7.35 with taxes.

Below is their menu:
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (11-24-2009), jmen24 (11-25-2009), Newbiesaukee (11-24-2009), RI Swamp Yankee (11-24-2009), twoplustwo (11-24-2009), wifi (11-24-2009), WINNOCTURN (11-24-2009)
Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
bumble71

Quote:
twoplustwo, you must be the owner of a restaurant?? You seem to think you know the business?? And as far as your comment #3, when did i have two sandwiches??

i've worked in restaurants on and off my entire adult life. I work in one now. I've been an adult for a long time. I think i know the business because i've worked in it forfreakingever.

You had a sandwich, and a bagel with cream cheese. I should have said 2 items, not 2 sandwiches, but that's pretty darn close to semantics and splitting hairs.

And again, i've never heard you utter a positive word about a single business. The north shore is just a sub shop (which it isn't), the wolfeboro diner is overpriced, winni bagels is overpriced. You are the debbie downer of the restaurant section of the forum. Wah wah wah.
there you go with the "you've never heard me say anything nice", thing..if you recall, i agreed with you that winni baygulls does indeed have some of the best bagels around. That sounds like a compliment to me. And yes the north shore is a sub shop(glorified maybe). Debbie downer??? You need to get over it! I feel that the forum is a great tool for keeping, in this case, businesses honest, and shedding some light for potential customers. Sorry if it keeps you up at night.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
ITD

Hmmmmmm, I read the first post as one item, not two items. $9+ sounds like a good deal for food for two.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.....still miss the excellent bagels from Jackson Star......4/1.89 in maybe six different styles including pumperknickle......
Did they provide a comfortable place to sit, toast it, butter it, put it on a plate and bring it to your table? Did they provide napkins?
trfour (11-24-2009)
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
jmen24

I have never been in this place but I can tell you that I will the next time I am in the area.

Enjoy a place like this as long as you can. We had a place accross the street from our showroom called "Wildberry Bagels" its menu was exactly the same as the one posted above, it was always busy and the sandwiches were SOOOO good. The lease was up on the bagel shop and the owner of the building got a better offer from DD and so it was history. This DD is the first and only national chain to come to New London so far.

Luckily we have a great deli next door, about $9.00 for a lunch sandwich that comes with a salad, but it is very good.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
Gilligan

Question menu price discrepancy & bumble71

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
... So I decided to have breakfast at Winnipesaukee Bay Gull.
I had bacon, egg and cheese in a plain bagel....$4.25 and a plain bagel with cream cheese (to eat later) ...$2.50. Total bill was $7.35 with taxes.
Their Menu

Yosemite Sam had the exact same order you did bumble71 and was charged $7.35 and not $9+ as you claim you were charged. You have not responded to that discrepancy. Maybe there was a mistake by you or them.

What say you bumble71?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
bumble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Their Menu

Yosemite Sam had the exact same order you did bumble71 and was charged $7.35 and not $9+ as you claim you were charged. You have not responded to that discrepancy. Maybe there was a mistake by you or them.

What say you bumble71?
maybe so......
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #25
Lakegeezer

Default Winter Hours - Close Sunday @1

I almost missed getting my dozen bagels on Sunday. Normally, they close at 2. I arrived at 12:45 and saw the sign announcing Winter Hours (really, extending into late fall hours). Still 6-2 every day - except Sunday, when they close at 1.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #26
dpg

Why are some people talking about Dunkin Donuts and Mcdonalds in the same breath? Dunkins has a good product, maybe not the cheapest but good. Mcdonalds crap can't even be mentioned in any food thread.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (12-09-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Why are some people talking about Dunkin Donuts and Mcdonalds in the same breath? Dunkins has a good product, maybe not the cheapest but good. Mcdonalds crap can't even be mentioned in any food thread.
Neither one should be mentioned in comparison to Winni Bay Gulls. Bay Gulls may cost more than either, I really don't know or care. But there is no comparison in quality. Winni Bay Gulls rules.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
...could be true at your local McDonald's but the Meredith McDonald's has the best food preparation and taste at any McDonald on the planet. The same manager has been there since the Meredith McDonald building was built in 1987. How many McDonald's can say that?

McDonald's is definately a team effort so it could be partially due to the local shortage of employment opportunities in Meredith and people still need to pay their bills.

Here's a stock market tip.......buy McDonald's...MCD...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Default Congradulations FLL

Quote:
but the Meredith McDonald's has the best food preparation and taste at any McDonald on the planet.
Way to go FLL. I was wondering if anybody has eaten at all 31,000 McD's. Next up is to shop at all 3,900 Walmarts!
wifi (12-10-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #30
fatlazyless

If it's not on the dollar menu, then I won't order it, unless someone else pays for it. Am look'n for a 5'10" tennis babe to treat me to a mcbagel steak & cheese at Meredith Micky Dee's....about 3.95 & 9% NH meals tax...in exchange for court time on my premium Meredith outdoor public tennis court....great way to stay in shape....keep'n those abs & buns flat....be sure to bring a snow shovel or better....a snow blower...McBagel w/ nions, Steak & Cheese....only 900 calories!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #31
Sunbeam lodge

Default Mc Donalds

Quote:
...could be true at your local McDonald's but the Meredith McDonald's has the best food preparation and taste at any McDonald on the planet. The same manager has been there since the Meredith McDonald building was built in 1987. How many McDonald's can say that?

McDonald's is definately a team effort so it could be partially due to the local shortage of employment opportunities in Meredith and people still need to pay their bills.

Here's a stock market tip.......buy McDonald's...MCD...
Already own it and it pays a 3.6% dividend and up 12% since I purchased it. Compare that to.005% on my Savings account at Citizens and then they lend my savings out at 6-8% or more.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunbeam lodge For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-09-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #32
fatlazyless

Ya know if that Winni Bay Gulls, (aka Bagels) just had a dollar menu, I could stop there like regular. It's right on my route to the day-old food rack in the rear of Heath's. Boy, does Heath's ever have some excellent day old, half priced food. Would you believe a bag of a dozen big, fat, home made style coconut-pecan cookies for 1.75.

And for some reason known only to our famous tax attorney U.S. Senator Judd Gregg, the NH 9% prepared food tax does not appear to apply?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #33
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Ya know if that Winni Bay Gulls, (aka Bagels) just had a dollar menu, I could stop there like regular. It's right on my route to the day-old food rack in the rear of Heath's.
They do have a dollar menu. Their freshly made bagels are only $.99. Just pick up your cream cheese when you get you Heath's and you're all dialed in.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #34
bumble71

Wink

Quote:

I've worked in restaurants on and off my entire adult life. I work in one now. I've been an adult for a long time. I THINK I know the business because I've worked in it forfreakingever.

And again, I've never heard you utter a positive word about a single business. The North Shore is just a sub shop (which it isn't), The Wolfeboro Diner is overpriced, Winni Bagels is overpriced. You are the Debbie Downer of the restaurant section of the forum. Wah wah wah.
OK. But what isn't like semantics and splitting hairs would be the fact that waiting tables or bartending doesn't count for thinking that you might know the business.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #35
twoplustwo

Default not that I owe you any explanation...

OK. But what isn't like semantics and splitting hairs would be the fact that waiting tables or bartending doesn't count for thinking that you might know the business.

I have served in a management capacity and am well aware of the costs of running a place and the markups that make it possible and profitable. Small businesses owned by local people deserve our support. Otherwise the only places you'll have to complain about are Applebees and other vile chains.