Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
wifi

Default Website access issues

Any one else having trouble accessing this site from Time Warner? This very minute, I cannot get onto the site from TW, but I can from Metrocast, a server I have in Boston plus an AT&T IP.

Of course, I don't expect an immediate response, since you won't be seeing this message

One more thing, I can ping and traceroute fine on TW, just HTTP access times out. Using the same computer on the other networks is fine.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Any one else having trouble accessing this site from Time Warner? This very minute, I cannot get onto the site from TW, but I can from Metrocast, a server I have in Boston plus an AT&T IP.

Of course, I don't expect an immediate response, since you won't be seeing this message

One more thing, I can ping and traceroute fine on TW, just HTTP access times out. Using the same computer on the other networks is fine.
Similar situation on Comcast around noontime, past few days.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

The httpd service on the server failed for short periods of time on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, usually around mid-day. I contacted support about the problem and I'm keeping an eye on it.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
wifi

I think this is a different issue.

I can load and access the site fine from Boston, that is where I am now, but simultaneously trying from Time Warner, I get a page timeout. Both networks show the same DNS. Same computer on my end

Is there possibly a filter (firewall rule) floating around on the box?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Airwaves

My problem is a little different. I can access the site just fine, but after the site completes it's download it does not show me all the posts. For example a topic says there are 50 replies, I slide down to the bottom to read the most recent replies and the page stops at say 23. This would be on a topic with a single page, not multiples. With multiple pages the most recent page won't load.

The only way I can read new posts is to log in and hit submit reply, then the latest posts will appear at the top instead of the bottom of the thread, but it won't allow me to go back and review earlier ones on the bottom of the thread. Today I was looking at the Speed Limit passed thread and when I did the above trick I could only read the posts from today and yesterday.

Granted I'm still using dial up but I've only run across this problem in the past week or so. NetZero/Juno is my provider.

I performed disk clean and defrag yesterday.

If I access it from work using T-1 it's fine.

Any ideas?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
webmaster

Since it has been about 30 days since the last complaint I assume that access has improved for everyone. Early in June I discovered that the DNS on the hosting service that I use was very slow. I switched to an external service (DYNDNS) and the speed really improved.

For you non-techies here is the definition of DNS from the DYNDNS site:
Quote:
The Internet system that translates human-understandable hostnames (like www.dyndns.com) into computer-understandable IP addresses (like 63.208.196.66) and back again.
Slow DNS=Slow site access.

Slow DNS on your ISP can also slow you down. Comcast DNS can be very slow at times. If you suspect slow DNS switch to OpenDNS. They have some great services that will protect your entire network (like adult site blocking) and it's completely free. You don't even have to register to use their DNS servers. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
wifi

The only problem I still have is accessing the site from home. DNS resolves fine, traceroute & ping work fine, just accessing http gets nothing. I can take the same computer to a number of other locations and it works fine. There is no firewall or filtering on my router.

Time Warner Cable IP: 72.224.180.xxx

Its acting like there is a filter on the website side...

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
webmaster

The httpd service on the server dropped from 11:15 to 11:30 this morning. Was that when you had trouble?

In the last month there have been 3 short periods when the httpd service failed.

Other than that I don't have an explanation for your problem. Nothing is blocked and normally if you can ping the site, you should be able to reach it.

Maybe you should try the OpenDNS servers that I mentioned above, just to see if it makes a difference.

The Internet does sometimes do strange things.