Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default Charles W. Morgan

The last wooden whaling vessel, built in 1841, and the centerpiece of the Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut, will sail again this summer.

After a 5 year restoration, to "Sailing Condition" the ship will tour the New England Coast this summer under sail. She has not sailed since 1921.

She will be towed down the Mystic River on Saturday, 17 May..to New London, CT to take on additional ballast..and then tour the New England Coast during the summer. NB

http://www.mysticseaport.org/visit/explore/morgan/

Last edited by NoBozo; 04-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-07-2014), Descant (04-06-2014), Mirror Lake's BB (04-07-2014), Orion (04-07-2014), SAMIAM (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
NoBozo

Getting the Ship through the Mystic Drawbridge will be a problem. The side to side clearance is not that much. Normally, a TUG would be tucked (Lashed) under the quarter on the Morgan (Aft) and Propel & Steer the ship as it proceeds down the river. This adds to the beam. Lashed together...The Tug and the Morgan become one unit. (The ship Does NOT have it's own power.)

Simply having the tug TOW the ship, on a towline..would allow the ship to wig wag from side to side. Not good.

There is a shallow spot down the river which... is scheduled to be dredged..but NOT before the ship transits the river. This spot necessitates that the ship be "Light in Ballast" to clear the shoal. Hence, ballast will be added at New London. The reverse will be required when the Morgan returns back to Mystic.

The Best Spot to watch this event is from a Small Park immediately south of the drawbridge and on the East Side of the river. If you get there first you will have a Totally Excellent view. Bring chairs. Parking "Could" be a problem..BUT WE have always been able to find a spot nearby during special Seaport.. River events. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 04-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Kamper

When the tide goes out, the tug can actually be upstream from the 'tow.' It's tricky letting the current pull the load and the tug just guides it but I have seen it done with smaller vessels.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
NoBozo

I just did some homework. My old NOAA Chart of the Mystic River shows the horizontal clearance for Draw Bridge is 65 feet...keeping in mind the bridge is a Bascule bridge...ie: It "Tips Up" to open...it's overhang when fully UP..might impinge on the masts and yards of the ship.

The Beam of the Morgan is 27 feet 6 inches. The beam of a vessel does NOT include "Fixed" whale boat davits, rigging, and other stuff which extends beyond the (Official) beam of the hull.

My experience with navigating shallow channels with a sailboat (C&C 32) which had a draft of 5' 8", was this:

Approach the shoal area on a Rising Tide. IF you ground...the TIDE is in your favor..and will lift you off. NB
Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Andrea.wiltfong

Default oh I remember the first tall ship

I remember the first tall ship that came to Portsmouth about 15 years ago. I worked at the portsmouth chamber, that was INSANE LOL My heart goes out to that chamber (although the person that worked directly with getting it to come to Portsmouth no longer works at the chamber so maybe there won't be as many calls, then it was easy 100 calls an hour!)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
NoBozo

Default The Inquisitive

I think I read on the Mystic Museum website that the ship will depart @ 9:15 AM on Saturday morning. I'm going to guess that..after getting Organized... Away from the Museum Lift Dock..it will take 30 minutes to get to the bridge.

This event will Close the river and Lock Up the draw bridge open ..(US RT-1) for over an hour.....All Auto traffic on US Rt-1 stopped.

I think I will try to attend. I think I need to arrive at the park at around 7:30 AM to get a spot. I'll have to depart home at 6:00 AM. I'll have to get up at 5:00 AM.

OR... Maybe I'll just Sleep In and watch it on MSNBC later.

This IS an Historic Event. The last time the Morgan went under that bridge was 1941, the year I was born.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think I read on the Mystic Museum website that the ship will depart @ 9:15 AM on Saturday morning. I'm going to guess that..after getting Organized... Away from the Museum Lift Dock..it will take 30 minutes to get to the bridge.

This event will Close the river and Lock Up the draw bridge open ..(US RT-1) for over an hour.....All Auto traffic on US Rt-1 stopped.

I think I will try to attend. I think I need to arrive at the park at around 7:30 AM to get a spot. I'll have to depart home at 6:00 AM. I'll have to get up at 5:00 AM.

OR... Maybe I'll just Sleep In and watch it on MSNBC later.

This IS an Historic Event. The last time the Morgan went under that bridge was 1941, the year I was born.
What a great event to witness. Hope you're able to see in person. I've been aboard the Morgan several times during my life; always a neat experience. Never thought it would be restored to the point of taking to sea again. She'll be in Boston from 7/18 - 7/22 berthed next to the Constitution. I'll be sure to visit, go aboard and take many photos; who knows when it will happen again?
NoBozo (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Just Sold

Unhappy I'm Confussed

What on earth does this discussion about the Charles W. Morgan have to do with Lake Winnipesaukee or the lakes region? It is an ocean going vessel not a lake boat or ship even. It may be a nice subject but it is not about the lake. This topic area is: 'General Discussion: General questions and discussions about Lakes Region activities and topics ' I do not believe it belongs here but the ultimate decision is up to the webmaster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-13-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
jmen24

I have to say that the "what does this have to do with the Lakes region" posts have become tiresome! Not picking on you Just Sold, as you are far from the only one.

Last I checked there is only one labeled moderator on this site. The Webmaster does a pretty solid job of clearing out the slush and seeing that this thread has been live for days, that maybe he is as interested as some of the other people that haven't posted but are reading.

Have been reading this forum for 10 years and participating for just over 5. In that time, Don has not allowed any topics that he did not feel meet the rules he created and the ones that skirt the rules, seem to be well guarded. Basically this forum has not changed since I started reading, except that many of the original members don't post, now that the pond has filled up a bit. Have heard many posters clearly example that they have no clue how big the Lakes Region really is, yet nobody corrects them.

Like I said Just Sold, not directed at you, I enjoy your posts. Just straws and camels backs. Maybe being on week 2 of kicking cigarettes has some input, but this has been rubbing on me for months.

Carry on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
JPC (04-12-2014), Rusty (04-12-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I have to say that the "what does this have to do with the Lakes region" posts have become tiresome! Not picking on you Just Sold, as you are far from the only one.

Last I checked there is only one labeled moderator on this site. The Webmaster does a pretty solid job of clearing out the slush and seeing that this thread has been live for days, that maybe he is as interested as some of the other people that haven't posted but are reading.

Have been reading this forum for 10 years and participating for just over 5. In that time, Don has not allowed any topics that he did not feel meet the rules he created and the ones that skirt the rules, seem to be well guarded. Basically this forum has not changed since I started reading, except that many of the original members don't post, now that the pond has filled up a bit. Have heard many posters clearly example that they have no clue how big the Lakes Region really is, yet nobody corrects them.

Like I said Just Sold, not directed at you, I enjoy your posts. Just straws and camels backs. Maybe being on week 2 of kicking cigarettes has some input, but this has been rubbing on me for months.

Carry on.
Maybe Just Sold reached the "straws and camels backs" with regards to the tiresome, non-Lakes Region threads or threads that are completely hijacked. And isn't it somewhat hypocritical to state there's only one moderator while you're trying to moderate other posters? :-\

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Kamper

Any pic.s?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Any pic.s?
Hey Kamper..You're killing me: Does this work...?? ...
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
NoBozo

I'm just "Funnin" with the people who get their panty's in a Total Knot. They don't have much to contribute, other than whine about those that DO contribute to the forum. NB

PS: They don't have a sense of humor..they can't smile every once in awhile. That's SAD.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm just "Funnin" with the people who get their panty's in a Total Knot. They don't have much to contribute, other than whine about those that DO contribute to the forum. NB

PS: They don't have a sense of humor..they can't smile every once in awhile. That's SAD.
Ah, so you live under a bridge! :-D

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #15
Kamper

Nice selfie! While you were there did you happen to point the camera at the ship?

Closed Thread