Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
snowman

Default Milfoil Fish Cove Meredith

Can anyone give me the history of invasive plants in Fish Cove? Is it pretty well controlled and shrinking or is it a "growing" problem?
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
garysanfran

Default Fish Cove milfoil eradication...

I remember mention in a local lawsuit, a few years ago, about a program to eradicate milfoil in Fish Cove. I remember the figure of $28,000 for the start of the program. Someone was building a boat house and a distant neighbor thought they were not doing enough to control milfoil and was thwarting the efforts of the eradication program. Maybe someone has more knowledge than me. But I think you are seeing the beginning of the end instead of the end of the beginning.

The boat house has been built.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Music Man

There's a milfoil "essential oil" - maybe they could get the hucksters, er, distributors, to harvest all of it and produce a few ounces...

Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
kawishiwi

Default More than u wanted but info probably in this pdf

Long-Term Variable Milfoil Management Plan Lake Winnipesaukee Moultonborough, New Hampshire - Moultonborough NH
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xZS7UYv7pP-9wg
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

For the most part, herbicide (chemical) treatment of milfoil has been cut way back, and there are some new (more effective) herbicides being EPA and DES tested for limited use. Prevention (Clean, Drain and Dry) and removal (certified SCUBA divers with DASH units) are the current protocol. Those who talk about chemicals and harvesting are way in the past. (I'm a member of the NH Exotic Aquatic Weeds and Species Committee. We also deal with animals such as Zebra Mussels,etc. We have a dozen members from legislature, vendors, F & G, Agriculture, lake associations, etc. ) Most postings here about chemicals and harvesting are inaccurate, and out of date. I think you can see 5 year plans for different areas on the DES Website for more accurate info on specific areas and proposed remedies.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links