Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
RLW

Default Waiting for what comes next

We sit here on the farmers porch looking out across the lake looking at a heavy overcast waiting to see what happens next. The temp has dropped from 38° to 36.5° in just under an hour. The last forecast on the government scanner channel said that the top of Gunstock to get about a foot and at the base 4 to 6 inches. Guess we all just have to wait and see. Snow shovel is right beside the front door.
It is throwing tomorrow morning.

Last edited by RLW; 10-29-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added a word
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Merrymeeting

Just northeast of Worcester, it's been snowing heavily for about an hour, and it is starting to stick now. We're right on the rain/snow line and the snow has started much earlier than predicted.

Having lived through 8 days without power in December of 08, I'm worried about a repeat.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
bclaker

Heard from my son in Montclair, NJ a couple hours ago. It started snowing there around noon and they had 3 or 4 inches of heavy snow and lots of trees down. They lost their power after a tree had fallen on their line to the house. It started snowing here in Laconia about 15 minutes ago.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
ghfromaltonbay

Default Snow in NJ

This morning at 7 am the NYC TV news said the rain would turn to snow around 5 pm. Well, they were wrong! It changed around 11 am and we now have about 5 inches of wet heavy snow on the ground. We lost power right at the end of our church luncheon (excellent timing) around 2:30 and had to do the clean up with emergency lights on. Luckily, here at home the power is still on, but there are a lot of trees either down or bent over with heavy snow on the leaves. The snow is still coming down and 40-50 mph winds are expected tonight. I hope the weather folks on TV are wrong with that prediction, or we will be in for a lot more downed trees. This is the first time since the Civil War era that we've had this much snow on 10/29 here in northern NJ.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 11-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
We sit here on the farmers porch looking out across the lake looking at a heavy overcast waiting to see what happens next. The temp has dropped from 38° to 36.5° in just under an hour. The last forecast on the government scanner channel said that the top of Gunstock to get about a foot and at the base 4 to 6 inches. Guess we all just have to wait and see. Snow shovel is right beside the front door.
It is throwing tomorrow morning.
The temp has gone to the freezing numbers of 32 now and the snow just came across the lake and is snowing medium fine at the moment here on Alton Mountain.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Bear Island South

We escaped from Southboro today, didn't really feel like shoveling tomorrow ...I have the broom ready to brush off the boat.
In the 5 years we have been coming to the lake I cannot remember snow this early, it is usually late November.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

Power has gone on and off here 3 times in the last 15 minutes. (N central MA). I suspect this could be my last post for awhile.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
RLW

Quote:
The temp has gone to the freezing numbers of 32 now and the snow just came across the lake and is snowing medium fine at the moment here on Alton Mountain.
Right now in 2 hours we have gotten a little more than 4" with the yard stick in the front yard in 3 locations. It's actually fun being out in the snow for the first time more especially when one doesn't have to drive in it and only out playing.

Last edited by RLW; 10-29-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: corrected # of hours snowing
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Gilford Village

Wow! Impressed that the power is still on. We have about 12" in the driveway (measuring stick, averaged over 3 locations)

Really glad I fired up and tested the snowblower yesterday.

It has stopped snowing here, can't wait for first light, I suspect it's going to be a beautiful landscape.

Perfect Snowman and Snowball conditions. Looks like we'll have quite a stockpile of leftover candy.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Bear Island South

Only 3-4" out on the Island, the power flickered but still on
Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default 7am - 10/30/11 Gilford

Home Made Chilli, Hot Dogs, Patriots.... Great day to Stay Home!

Name:  Snow 10-30-11 Gilford.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  89.0 KB
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
RLW

Quote:
Right now in 2 hours we have gotten a little more than 4" with the yard stick in the front yard in 3 locations. It's actually fun being out in the snow for the first time more especially when one doesn't have to drive in it and only out playing.
Well as SteveA said it stopped around the 6:30 hour this morning. We lost power around 12:24 AM but because of the generator and not being able to here it and going back to sleep I have no idea how long it was out. I would estimate it was for a some time as there isn't any snow around it. Later will check the run time to really find out. Here on Alton Mountain at the lake we have a GOOD 16" if not more. It is wet, but kinda fluffy at the same time. It is not real heavy. I'm about to go out and get the Rhino out and the snow blower and start the clean up.

Let us know how you all made out with the historic October storm. Oh, we have not lost a limb or tree as yet, knock on wood.

Don't forget to get the chores done early for those Pat's fans so you can enjoy your goodies like SteveA.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Bear Island South

something about having snow on the boat is just not right
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (11-01-2011), This'nThat (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Newbiesaukee

9-12 inches on Long Island. Power off for about 3 hours, 3-6 am but now on. It's beautiful, but a lot of heavy snow on bending trees. Snow plow (? Moultonborough) plowed our dirt road about 5 am.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

We ended up with 14" on the hillside in West Alton but it is settling fast. Power was out from about 12:20 to about 4:30 am, not too bad. I did start the generator and get the furnace running when it went out as I did not expect it to be back on so soon. A good midnight generator drill I guess. While I had the plow on the truck, I used the tractor FEL and backblade with skidshoes to do the 650' driveway, plowed less gravel that way.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Bear247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
something about having snow on the boat is just not right
That just looks so wrong. It is October after all.
Bear247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Slickcraft

We just got back from a walk around Woodlands Road in West Alton, about 2 miles from our house. While we got 14" at our house on the hill away from the lake, there were some areas on Woodlands Rd. with zero snow. The NE wind coming across the warm lake must have resulted in all rain. I have never seen such disparity over such a short distance.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #18
DickR

Slick, I know what you mean about local disparities. Newbie reports 9-10" on Long Island, and I'm guessing the southern end. Here on the NE end we got maybe 3-4" of wet stuff, not even worth shoveling. Mother nature will do a better job in less time. The Weather Channel site provides a snow depth map based on cumulative radar echoes, and there is a narrow band of 12+ inches coming up from the SW corner of the state, through Concord (22" on TWC) and Manchester, clips the southern end of the lake, and up into the Maine mountains. In the past, CLA has commented on some local areas to the SW of the Ossipee range as being in the "snow shadow" of those mountains, getting notably less precipitation out of some northeasters.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well as SteveA said it stopped around the 6:30 hour this morning. We lost power around 12:24 AM but because of the generator and not being able to here it and going back to sleep I have no idea how long it was out. I would estimate it was for a some time as there isn't any snow around it. Later will check the run time to really find out. Here on Alton Mountain at the lake we have a GOOD 16" if not more. It is wet, but kinda fluffy at the same time. It is not real heavy. I'm about to go out and get the Rhino out and the snow blower and start the clean up.

Let us know how you all made out with the historic October storm. Oh, we have not lost a limb or tree as yet, knock on wood.

Don't forget to get the chores done early for those Pat's fans so you can enjoy your goodies like SteveA.
Well after 3 hours of clearing the 1000' drive through the woods and all the walks the bride and I are just about to sit down for some lunch.

It appears that we all got lots of different measurements of snow depth. Sure is funny how mother nature disburses the snow in the different areas.

I just have some playing to do with the snow blower and do a couple paths to the dock and the fire pit and oh ya the bird feeder can't forget that even though they haven been around for several weeks. Guess there has been enough bugs to feed on.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
RLW

It sounds as if we are in for some warmer and sunnier weather for a few day with cooler nights. Now I can take that and the snow is already down to about 4" on the ground from yesterdays warm/sunny day.

Prayers are with those that still do not have electricity and that includes all those in the NE states that were hit hard in fact some a lot harder than us.

I need some more of this after all the shoveling.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Snow for Halloween... Boooooo!

We got nailed in southern NH. Power may not be back for many days. Sunday morning I was so happy and very surprised to see that Snake Eyes was working! Guess where we are right now!!! Rough crossing yesterday. I chickened out on the first attempt - second try was super rough after rounding the end of Rattlesnake. Paul handled the surf wonderfully. Surprised to find no snow. The pole holding the cover did collapse, but our nice friend cleaned her off for us.

Today is a beautiful, crisp day with calm water. Spotted four boats so far. Sad the season is ending.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Great story! The Island to the rescue!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #23
secondcurve

Is most of the power on in the lakes region? It seems like southern NH was hurt the most this time??
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #24
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Is most of the power on in the lakes region? It seems like southern NH was hurt the most this time??
Yes, only short outages up here. My daughter in Derry may have to wait a week for power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-03-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
Flylady

Default Long term Power Outage in CT

My sister and her family are heading up to the lake tomorrow. No power in CT, no gas for the generator, well pump out. Great excuse to get up to the lake!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #26
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation CT and Southern NH

Once again, the lake to the rescue!

Hope everyone gets power back soon. My thanks to all those that are working so hard with the restoration process!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
RLW

Smile I still have

I still have some to do once all the is gone. That will be very shortly with all the warm weather and sun that we have been having. Some afternoons it feels like one could go and then have a afterwards.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #28
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Power has gone on and off here 3 times in the last 15 minutes. (N central MA). I suspect this could be my last post for awhile.
Unfortunately, I was right. Now on day 5 without power. I should have stayed at the lake!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Default Only 24 hour outage for myself

You were right. Still waiting for power here in Bedford NH. 5 days. Glad I had a generator though. Pretty expensive power though. I figured my 5000 watt uses roughly 14 gallons a day if run fulltime. At $3.40 a gallon thats close to $50 a day. Ouch. If I ran it 24/7 for for the last 5 days the cost would be at $250 and counting.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I measured 26" on my back deck. Pretty impressive for October.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #31
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Of course I had to bust the snowmachines out and run a flew laps around the house!
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #32
Jonas Pilot

Default What a ...

... difference a day makes!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 11-03-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #33
Merrymeeting

6 days later...finally! Power!

Kudos to PSNH and other Lakes Region power companies. They seem to do a good job of clearing trees/branches from their lines, something that hasn't been done in MA. I know because I've called several times over the past few years and they never did, not at my home or anywhere in the area. The payback was this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #34
Rattlesnake Guy

NH is quite a patchwork of electric company coverage.

This link shows how complicated the quilt is.

http://www.psnh.com/ContructionServi...Areas-Map.aspx
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-05-2011)