Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default 48 New Condos Overlooking the Lake

This is a lot better for the Weirs Beach area than the storage units that were proposed for the site a few years ago.

They will have a great view of the lake. Just wait until the new owners begin to look for boat slips.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...297636dbe.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
8gv

48 condos there and 90 apartments off Province St.

I hope the sewer system is ready!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
fatlazyless

With the Laconia property tax rate for 2022 set at $18.86/1000-assessed value, a Laconia condo valued at $250,000 will have a yearly tax bill of $4715.

With the Meredith property tax rate for 2022 set at $13.43/1000-assessed value, a Meredith condo valued at $250,000 will have a yearly tax bill of $3356.

With the Moultonborough property tax rate for 2022 set at $6.98/1000-assessed value, a Moultonborough condo valued at $250,000 will have a yearly tax bill of $1745.

With this new Laconia-Weirs Beach hilltop housing development, it is proposed there will be 48-condos built on eight acres all serviced by city water and sewer. There's a garage shown in the LaDaSun report so could be each unit will have its own attached garage to fill with car, boat, and water sports items like floor jacks, kayaks and paddleboards purchased locally at Walmart or some other store!

Maybe a vintage 1971 Norton Commando motorcycle could be happening in the garage?

The nearby Weirs Beach could become a HAPPENING place for car top kayakers and paddleboarders to unload and hit the big lake since it costs $2 or 8-quarters/hour to park your car at the city owned Weirs Beach beach parking lot, immediately close to the Weirs Beach channel and nearby big water for kayaking and paddleboarding just beyond the swimmer's float line at the public beach/swim area. .... Must be about ten parking spaces there, very close to the channel water for relatively easy kayak water entry. Heck, if someone really wanted to do it, they could move their kayak/paddleboard from their new condo, down to that Weirs Beach channel water via that Rt-3 sidewalk with a two wheel kayak trolley and save the $2/hr parking. Is maybe a 500-yard(?) walk down the nice Rt-3 sidewalk there, to get to the water.

Is even LESS money, $1 or 4-quarters to park at a space on nearby Lakeside Ave that's also close to the kayak/paddleboard channel unload area.

If this eight acre plot had been ten acres or more, it could have qualified for 'New Hampshire current use' property status that "encourages preservation of open space and conserving the land, water, forest, agriculture, and wildlife resources."

New Hampshire 'Current Use': https://concordnh.gov/295/Current-Use

Something tells me this new 48-condo development will speed up the proposed demolition of the old white & black 1885 historic house at 75 Lakeside Ave because all these new condos will be good(?), who knows(?), for business at Boardwalk Bar & Grill and it will get demo'ed for the extra land space, or something?

And last but not least, will the www.wowtrail.org 10'-wide walking-bicycling trail ever get built from Lakeport to Meredith with the Weirs Beach-ground zero location at its center Wow Trail spot? What do you think, or will it remain a basically TOTALLY unused railroad track with basically NO choo-choo trains?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-10-2021 at 09:23 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default size?

Any idea of unit size or price range? Is tie area zoned for short term rentals?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Maggiore Construction, Woburn Mass, ...... 8.16-acres, 143 Endicott St ..... asking price $3.59 million ..... "These will be upscale residences, not typical condominiums. There will be townhouses in groupings on the hillside to take advantage of the best views and privacy" says Al Mitchell, owner of 8-acres land sold to https://maggiore.co ..... 9-14-21 LaDaSun

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-10-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Which lot is this? One next to cumbies?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Which lot is this? One next to cumbies?
Yes, the large lot overlooking the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Just a guess but I would say somewhere above $750,000. That is significant without lakefront or lake access. However, the views will be pretty good.

It is located in the short term rental zoning area but they could put restrictions about renting into the condo documents.
BroadHopper (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

That may be one of my favorite views of the lake, but how far is it from the water in terms of access?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
WinnisquamZ

Free movie night if they are built high enough

Old 12-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
Woodsy

I am very disappointed in the City of Laconia....

In what world is this a good idea? They had to change the zoning rules to get this to happen... more $750K-$850K condos just contribute to the gentrification of the Weirs. Anyone who lives in that neighborhood is going to be taxed out of existence!

Woodsy
Old 12-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
sluggo

Interesting , Koss Construction from CT is going through the planning board process here now in Moultonborough to build 60 condominium units / 30 duplexes on the bottom of Bean Road.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #12
Descant

Default walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That may be one of my favorite views of the lake, but how far is it from the water in terms of access?
It's easy walking distance to Weirs Beach, Thurston's Marina. It's a very long walk up a steep hill to get home, especially if you're carrying anything.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Quote:
It's easy walking distance to Weirs Beach, Thurston's Marina. It's a very long walk up a steep hill to get home, especially if you're carrying anything.
You know that's actually a good thing, "a very long walk up a steep hill to get home", because driving a motorboat gives you basically little to no aerobic exercise, you just stand there and ride the power boat and maybe get bounced around, so's walking up a steep hill will probably hit that exercise, work-out spot for many, but not all motorboaters. .....

And, just WALKING, is excellent exercise especially as you get older, and WALKING UPHILL is even better-er exercise ...... to make you physically-fit-er ...... just like Roger Federer ..... hut-hut-hut! .....

It's normal in NH to see people walking or jogging along a road with no sidewalk but this new condo development is situated in the middle of the super steep Tower St, Rt-3, and Lakeside Ave and Rt-3 and Lakeside Ave have very nice, wide sidewalks. So, is doable for these condo dwellers to walk out their front door and go take a pretty good loop walk via Tower St-Lakeside Ave-Rt-3 with a good amount of walking safety from moving traffic.

So, what's the snow removal situation for the Lakeside Ave and Rt 3 sidewalks, and super-steep Tower St. Is there snow removal or what for locals to use the sidewalks in winter? Will Mayor Hosmer be out there with a shovel doing these public sidewalks or what! ..... hut-hut-hut .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-10-2021 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #14
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

In what world is this a good idea? They had to change the zoning rules to get this to happen... more $750K-$850K condos just contribute to the gentrification of the Weirs. Anyone who lives in that neighborhood is going to be taxed out of existence!

Woodsy
Because you can either add new housing or just accelerate the market value of the existing. Technically, the economic dynamics of capital suggests that new housing will stabilize price acceleration by addition of supply to balance demand.

From a property tax standpoint it broadens the base... it would be up to the city to control demand on the resources. But unless they attract a lot more children placing pressure on Elm Street, the Middle School, and less likely the High School... I can't really see the budgetary downside.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #15
Mr. V

Quote:

Woodsy
Well then, perhaps build a facility to house, clean, feed and treat the drug and mental illness woes of the homeless instead of building upscale condos: that will be sure to keep property values low.

Make it attractive enough and they'll flock to the Weirs from around the country and the Weirs may finally be considered a "destination" again.
Biggd (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
The city of Laconia has a minimum 6 mths lease on any property within the city. Unless zoned commercial it will be an exception. Also, many HOAs have lease requirements, most matching the city minimum. This came about when people were complaining about unruly Airbnb rentals.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #17
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

Woodsy
I live in the area and this to me is a welcomed addition. Certainly much better than storage units or any other non residential or non tourist related use. This will most certainly help the budget not hurt is as with most communities in the area they are only 30% full timers so there should not be a strain on infrastructure and it will help the small business local economy especially in season.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's what I was thinking—sure, it's close, but is it reasonable. I didn't even like walking the 50' uphill at Trexler's when we were in valet there!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The city of Laconia has a minimum 6 mths lease on any property within the city. Unless zoned commercial it will be an exception. Also, many HOAs have lease requirements, most matching the city minimum. This came about when people were complaining about unruly Airbnb rentals.
Properties in the CR (Commercial Resort) and SFR (Shorefront Residential) are allowed short term rentals with no limitations on the number of separate rental periods.

This property is in the CR zoning area and would be allowed short term rentals. The only thing that would prevent that is if a rental use restriction is placed in the condo documents for this property.

It is also permitted in the Residential Single-Family (RS), Residential General (RG), and Residential Rural (RR1) zones in a seasonal dwelling unit for a maximum of 15 separate rentals or a maximum of 120 nights, whichever occurs first.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 12-10-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Descant (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Because you can either add new housing or just accelerate the market value of the existing. Technically, the economic dynamics of capital suggests that new housing will stabilize price acceleration by addition of supply to balance demand.

From a property tax standpoint it broadens the base... it would be up to the city to control demand on the resources. But unless they attract a lot more children placing pressure on Elm Street, the Middle School, and less likely the High School... I can't really see the budgetary downside.
Southdown/Long Bay and other major developments, you would think they would lower the tax rate, but instead, we built the Taj Mahal type fire department and other extravagant spending, the tax rate went up despite the increased tax base! I don't see where the average joe can benefit!
Woodsy made a point, we have very little market-rate housing on the market and market-rate rental is also in high demand. How is building 750K condos going to benefit us? I know for a fact most of the seasonal summer help in the area that came from out of state cram themselves into small apartments or buildings in order to survive! I was told by the fire dept that this is common and it is a fire hazard! I'm all for affordable housing!
Old 12-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #21
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"These will be upscale residences
So much for work force residences. Let's keep them away from the water.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Southdown/Long Bay and other major developments, you would think they would lower the tax rate, but instead, we built the Taj Mahal type fire department and other extravagant spending, the tax rate went up despite the increased tax base! I don't see where the average joe can benefit!
Woodsy made a point, we have very little market-rate housing on the market and market-rate rental is also in high demand. How is building 750K condos going to benefit us? I know for a fact most of the seasonal summer help in the area that came from out of state cram themselves into small apartments or buildings in order to survive! I was told by the fire dept that this is common and it is a fire hazard! I'm all for affordable housing!
You can build whatever you want on your land with your capital.
But if you had built the 'Taj' within the original tax base, the current tax rate would be much higher. And if they didn't build any new housing, it would be impossible to find any place to rent as people moving into the area would purchase all the existing stock at higher and higher prices.

The problem with the average joe is they don't want to be the average joe.
If they did, the whole area would look like the 1940/1950s.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #23
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
So much for work force residences. Let's keep them away from the water.
I was born and raised in Laconia. We never lived on the water, or even within sight of it from the house. The first time that happened is when I was a young adult... and I quickly found that intolerable.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Well ......one great benefit to living at this new 143 Endicott St. development is you will be able to conveniently walk to that nearby Cumberland Farms store and buy yourself a large 16-oz can of Dr Pepper for $1.99 and it will not require any soda can deposit, unlike in Massachusetts. ......
Old 12-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #25
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
Interesting , Koss Construction from CT is going through the planning board process here now in Moultonborough to build 60 condominium units / 30 duplexes on the bottom of Bean Road.
Across the street from the Kayak rental place right on the Center Harbor town line?
Old 12-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #26
sky's

glad im moving to sandwhich on some of the cleanest water around.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-11-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #27
sluggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
Across the street from the Kayak rental place right on the Center Harbor town line?
The driveway to the Proposed condos is just past Heaths entrance on the right heading towards Sandwich. They would be on two lots behind red hill dairy.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
Loub52 (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #28
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
The driveway to the Proposed condos is just past Heaths entrance on the right heading towards Sandwich. They would be on two lots behind red hill dairy.
Bummer. Seems like a development like that would be completely out of character for the area.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #29
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
Bummer. Seems like a development like that would be completely out of character for the area.
Also--no apparent water access other than town beach. It does not seem like it would have much character of its own. It's hard to understand why someone would buy there instead of one of the hundreds of places near the water in beautiful woodsy spots. But maybe I'm missing something?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #30
John Mercier

Depends on how they price it.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #31
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Also--no apparent water access other than town beach. It does not seem like it would have much character of its own. It's hard to understand why someone would buy there instead of one of the hundreds of places near the water in beautiful woodsy spots. But maybe I'm missing something?
1. They're just happy to get out of wherever they came from.
2. Hundreds of places? All I hear about is "no inventory"
3. This is a Lakes Region/Winni Forum. The number of people (%) here with water access is probably very high compared to the rest of the state
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #32
Woodsy

As a resident of the Weirs... I would have been happy to see hotel on the site. It is just another back door deal from our illustrious City Council!

40+ AirBnb $750K "investment" properties do nothing for the neighborhood but create problems! They do NOTHING to alleviate the housing crunch!

Unfortunately, the gentrification of the Weirs gets accelerated!

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #33
joey2665

Quote:
As a resident of the Weirs... I would have been happy to see hotel on the site. It is just another back door deal from our illustrious City Council!

40+ AirBnb $750K "investment" properties do nothing for the neighborhood but create problems! They do NOTHING to alleviate the housing crunch!

Unfortunately, the gentrification of the Weirs gets accelerated!

Woodsy
I’m a resident also but given the choice it is certainly better than the proposed storage units. Additionally a hotel wouldn’t to anything for the housing crunch either and as far as Air BNB as you know in Laconia you need a permit and we need to wait and see if the HOA will allow short term rentals.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #34
Woodsy

Joey...

The storage was NEVER going to happen... that was just Al Mitchell firing a warning shot across the City's bow. They have a long running contentious relationship.

A commercial entity on that spot minimally effects the residential property values.... $750K condos have a very adverse effect on residential values.

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #35
joey2665

Quote:
Joey...

The storage was NEVER going to happen... that was just Al Mitchell firing a warning shot across the City's bow. They have a long running contentious relationship.

A commercial entity on that spot minimally effects the residential property values.... $750K condos have a very adverse effect on residential values.

Woodsy
Woodsy. Respectfully I disagree that the condos will have an adverse effect on residential values, in fact I think it will increase values. I’d love to know why you like values will decrease, that is generally not the case when new residences are constructed.

Although I understand the issues in the local government the condos will generate a healthy amount of property tax to the budget while have minimal additional cost to the local infrastructure since I’m sure based on other communities only 20-30% of the residents will be full time.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #36
WinnisquamZ

Joey, as a resident I agree with your response. Big tax revenue and little services required. The city is evolving from a early century manufacturing area to a retirement seasonal destination. Would like to know how the population number changes between seasons

Old 12-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #37
joey2665

Quote:
Joey, as a resident I agree with your response. Big tax revenue and little services required. The city is evolving from a early century manufacturing area to a retirement seasonal destination. Would like to know how the population number changes between seasons

Interesting thought, it has to me be at least 30% of the total Laconia population but I am just guessing based the fact that the major communities in Laconia have only 30% full time residents

Old 12-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #38
John Mercier

I haven't seen the latest census numbers, but Laconia has around 16,000 residents... about the same as in 1980.

When you create new housing units, you stabilize or decrease the appreciation. Simply, law of supply and demand. Since demand isn't being curtailed, to stabilize or reduce prices new housing must become available.

If new housing was not being created, the demand would draw on existing stock raising the prices and pushing out the current population... that is gentrification. So creating new housing stock does not lead to gentrification... the opposite does.

Like the other condos that were originally constructed along the boulevard and across the street and throughout that area... over time they become permanent residents. The expectation is to see some of that in the current census numbers as Boomers did not hit Medicare until 2010, and the maximum should be in 2024.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:05 PM   #39
Woodsy

Joey

By an adverse effect... I was referring to the HUGE increase in property values that will occur primarily on Tower Hill & Doe Ave & Methodist Circle.... essentially taxing people out of their homes.

John

Normally you would be correct in that more housing will reduce the demand and thus values stabilize. Unfortunately, there are not affordable primary residences that would reduce demand (that Laconia desperately needs) but most will be $750K 2nd home/airbnb units that out of state investors with no care but making money adore!

It is short sighted view by the Mayor & Laconia City Council... I wonder if Hosmer gets to buy 3 of these at cost?

Woodsy
BroadHopper (12-13-2021), subaruliving (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #40
FlyingScot

Quote:
1. They're just happy to get out of wherever they came from.
2. Hundreds of places? All I hear about is "no inventory"
3. This is a Lakes Region/Winni Forum. The number of people (%) here with water access is probably very high compared to the rest of the state
On #2--Waterfront inventory is super low, but there are at least 3 places within walking distance of my house for sale on nice, quiet wooded lots. As John noted above, it's all about the price, but it is really tough for me to see the attraction of this spot for either a vacationer or full timer.

Of course, it was also tough to foresee what would happen to waterfront prices over the past couple of years...
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #41
TiltonBB

Quote:
On #2-- it is really tough for me to see the attraction of this spot for either a vacationer or full timer.

Of course, it was also tough to foresee what would happen to waterfront prices over the past couple of years...
Because of the limited and expensive supply of waterfront properties this project could fill a gap. If people can get boat storage at one of the three marinas in the area then restaurants, the public beach, and their boat are all within a 5 minute walk.

It is not where I would want to be but there will be a market for them. The views should be spectacular and for non boaters and retired people that may be enough to get them to buy.

I would suspect that the majority will be used by seasonal or weekend people and that may have been seen as in the city's best interest. I think housing that does not add to the cost of services like the schools are generally viewed favorably. Constructing this project will result in the large vacant lot having a significant bump in tax revenue to the city.
FlyingScot (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #42
WinnisquamZ

The city also recently approved a 90 unit market rate apartment building in the south end area. Will assist those looking to relocate and get a foothold in area

Old 12-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #43
AC2717

excellent opportunity missed to put a hotel with a year round indoor waterpark in that location
Old 12-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #44
fatlazyless

Hey ..... here's a new angle .... it says ..... "Areas adjacent to this property are also listed on the National Register for their archaeological significance" ..... and is considered to be a "major Native American archaeological site." "The Native American village, whose archaeological remains extends for a half mile along the river and a quarter mile along the lake, has been documented through archaeological investigation to have evidence of settlement from 9,000 BCE to the late seventeenth century."

Any chance this 8.17 acres of undeveloped hilltop and hillside land maybe once was home turf for the Abenaki Native Americans who maybe used the hill top location for its outstanding lake views?

One fine day, many moons ago, one Abenaki was looking out at the big lake, taking in the big VIEW and exclaim to another Abenaki: "Look-um there ..... what-a-VIEW! .... someday this land be worth heap big money when no-good white man get here and ruin everything with over-development ..... ugh!" .....

The very nearby New Hampshire Veterans' Association Historic District ...... http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ha...toric_District has 7.7-acres with 18 historic buildings, is what it says .... and has been there since 1875, and purchased the land in 1924 from the railroad with assistance from the N.H. legislature for $4000 ..... http://weirsbeach.com/reasons-to-vis...tory/veterans/ ..... Does it pay property tax or is that a dumb question?

Wonder if the 8.17 acre hill top lot and the 7.7-acre Veterans' Assn lot are abutters and have a boundary line in common? Who knows .... maybe the N.H. Veteran's Assn will go for the gold and choose to sell their land for the big money it could get and move everything out to New Hampton-Rt 104, out back that large state liquor store, and create a very happening Civil War-N.H.Veterans' family amusement park just like www.dollywood.com in Tennessee! They could set up an old cannon and everyone could go there and get blasted! ..... spend money on historical Civil War venues that create Civil War jobs and raise revenue .... all year long .... 52-weeks ..... and give all the Exit-23 tourists a good new spot to hit

Looking down the road five to ten years ahead, maybe this new development to be built by https://maggiore.co will make the N.H. Veterans' Assn a 24-carat golden offer for their 7.7-acre land and the N.H. Veterans' Assn will choose to take it.

Another place for the NH Veterans Assoc to relocate could be a back lot that's close to Ahern State Park and the former location of the infamous Laconia State School which would keep their new Civil War tourist venue remaining inside Laconia as well.

Did you know that Lakeside Ave, Weirs Beach area used to be a year-round residential neighborhood up till 1696 ..... www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquadoctan ..... "one of the largest known Native American villages in what is now the U.S. state of New Hampshire" ....... so many many moons ago! ..... "evidence of settlement from 9,000 BCE to the late seventeenth century."

"Colonial reports document that the site was abandoned substantially in 1696, when most of New Hampshire's remaining native population withdrew to join the Pequawket at present-day Fryeburg, Maine."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-16-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #45
Woodsy

It is my understanding the developers have had ZERO contact with NVA...

Woodsy
Old 12-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #46
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
excellent opportunity missed to put a hotel with a year round indoor waterpark in that location
The developer we see a much larger and faster ROI on the condos that a hotel/water park. Although I agree for them area long term a hotel would have been better

Old 12-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #47
Descant

Condo's? Hotel?
Time share at $30K/ wk could be $1.5 Million per unit. Even $20K would be a Million. No pressure on the schools looming in the future. Need some sort of tram up/down Tower Hill.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #48
codeman671

Quote:
Condo's? Hotel?
Time share at $30K/ wk could be $1.5 Million per unit. Even $20K would be a Million. No pressure on the schools looming in the future. Need some sort of tram up/down Tower Hill.
Are people really paying that much for timeshares these days?

I bought one years ago at Eastern Slope Inn in North Conway, week 2 red week for $20 on ebay with closing costs paid (yes, $20!). People want to dump them. Years later I gave mine away after not using it much and spending a lot on RCI fees and annual maintenance, the person that took it handled the transfer expenses.

I have a week at the Windrifter in Ogunquit that I am trying to give away for my parents...Any takers?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #49
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Condo's? Hotel?
One of the biggest problems for developers of Timeshare Systems is what do you do with all the unsold weeks during undesirable times?

In NH you have Late Spring Season, Summer Season, Fall Leaf Season, and Ski Season. What do you do with those "mud" weeks in April, or those weeks in November?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #50
Descant

Default Not a good market anymore?

Perhaps my thoughts on the time share market are off point. I sort of thought snake oil salesmen could sell almost anything, just need the right customer. If I recall correctly the sales commissions were huge for selling the "off Weeks" and special deals if you bought a good week and a not so good week package. In the 80's, going to time share presentations was a sort of afternoon entertainment, and you got some kind of gift that you could sell later.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #51
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
The developer we see a much larger and faster ROI on the condos that a hotel/water park. Although I agree for them area long term a hotel would have been better

It was looked into by Rusty and a team from Marriott... it didn't pan out. I seriously doubt the hotel idea at Gunstock will find the foothold that he hopes for either.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #52
John Mercier

Quote:
On #2--Waterfront inventory is super low, but there are at least 3 places within walking distance of my house for sale on nice, quiet wooded lots. As John noted above, it's all about the price, but it is really tough for me to see the attraction of this spot for either a vacationer or full timer.

I had no problem seeing it.
It was just a matter of waiting for a large enough generation of Americans to be near retirement. This is not even close to the first condo development in the Weirs area... or even in the area that is being looked at.

The Brickyard was incredible, but a financial disaster. I remember swimming in the indoor pool, dancing in the disco, attempting to ski on the slopes behind it, etc... but it was a financial bust.
I think its problem was that Boomers were moving from active singles to paired parents... and as the generation coming after them, just not enough of us to spend in a comparable manner.

But are we seeing a repeat of the past cycles were heavy development occurs just before the market crashes? I remember them trying to sell the condos at Meredith Bridge for less than half the original asking price and throwing in a boat as a sweetener.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #53
John Mercier

Quote:
Joey

By an adverse effect... I was referring to the HUGE increase in property values that will occur primarily on Tower Hill & Doe Ave & Methodist Circle.... essentially taxing people out of their homes.

John

Normally you would be correct in that more housing will reduce the demand and thus values stabilize. Unfortunately, there are not affordable primary residences that would reduce demand (that Laconia desperately needs) but most will be $750K 2nd home/airbnb units that out of state investors with no care but making money adore!

It is short sighted view by the Mayor & Laconia City Council... I wonder if Hosmer gets to buy 3 of these at cost?

Woodsy
It keeps them from bidding up those ''affordable primary residences''. Hosmer purchased the 3 because Rusty wanted out for some of his capital as he is intent on financing another hotel - he caught lightening in a bottle but believes it to be more than that.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #54
joey2665

Quote:
It was looked into by Rusty and a team from Marriott... it didn't pan out. I seriously doubt the hotel idea at Gunstock will find the foothold that he hopes for either.
Hotels just are not where the money is right now. It’s residential development whether high, mid or low income. The ROI is just too good and fast.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #55
John Mercier

That may be the precise reason to invest in them.
Contrary investing is a well established strategy.
joey2665 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #56
map

Sad to lose our view as we pull out of Hilliard. Also our favorite spot to watch the fireworks.

On the plus side we will finally get a crosswalk from Hilliard across Route 3.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #57
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
You know that's actually a good thing, "a very long walk up a steep hill to get home", because driving a motorboat gives you basically little to no aerobic exercise, you just stand there and ride the power boat and maybe get bounced around, so's walking up a steep hill will probably hit that exercise, work-out spot for many, but not all motorboaters. .....

And, just WALKING, is excellent exercise especially as you get older, and WALKING UPHILL is even better-er exercise ...... to make you physically-fit-er ...... just like Roger Federer ..... hut-hut-hut! .....

It's normal in NH to see people walking or jogging along a road with no sidewalk but this new condo development is situated in the middle of the super steep Tower St, Rt-3, and Lakeside Ave and Rt-3 and Lakeside Ave have very nice, wide sidewalks. So, is doable for these condo dwellers to walk out their front door and go take a pretty good loop walk via Tower St-Lakeside Ave-Rt-3 with a good amount of walking safety from moving traffic.

So, what's the snow removal situation for the Lakeside Ave and Rt 3 sidewalks, and super-steep Tower St. Is there snow removal or what for locals to use the sidewalks in winter? Will Mayor Hosmer be out there with a shovel doing these public sidewalks or what! ..... hut-hut-hut .....
They don’t clear the snow.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #58
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
YUK! What a horrible idea!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #59
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
They don’t clear the snow.
Per the ADA they have to.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #60
sky's

we moved up here 23 years ago from a condo development in Milford NH beautiful units 2000 sq. ft each but like most associations you have to threaten with legal action to get anything done. take South Down Shores we did some remodeling in there several years ago and the people that approach us and complained about how the association was being run was horrible. To this day i have stopped any activity in the development. so whatever happens here will be all good for the first 5-10 years and all the mistakes will start to surface because they will seek out the lowest "bid" and then the fun starts. roofs leaking, rot repair from improper vinyl siding installers, and the list goes on.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #61
fatlazyless

If property owners from this new 143 Endicott St-48 town house development ask the city to start removing the snow from the Rt 3 sidewalk and Lakeside Ave sidewalk it's a safe bet the city will remove the snow. What is it, maybe a one half mile loop walk, going along Tower St, Endicott St (Rt 3), and Lakeside Ave for a circular walk around the area. Laconia has a sidewalk snowplow and does the Lakeport and downtown areas.

Ariens makes a walk behind machine with a big rotating brush that actually does a good job for getting right down close to the asphalt, something that snowblowers do not usually do too good.

Have you seen the sidewalk snow remover in Meredith? Meredith has a very powerful front end loader, maybe 42" wide, with a snowblower that is a very strong performer.

The NH Dept Transportation does not do sidewalk snow removal, and leaves it up to the local towns which applies to the long sidewalk on Endicott St which is also Rt-3, D W Hgwy.

Maybe I can get an on-call, part time job and go hit the sidewalks there, when it snows, with my 10 year old 24" Troy-Bilt snowblower ..... hut-hut-hut! ....

Tower St has no sidewalk and gets snow removal by the city plows and is actually a better place to walk in the winter on the steep road than either the sidewalk on Lakeside Ave or Endicott St because their sidewalks do not get snow removal but that could maybe change with this new, big money development happening with 48 townhouses.

You know there's a snowblower repair guy in Lakeport at Lakeport Power Equipment who can keep old snowblowers running forever.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #62
map

Quote:
Per the ADA they have to.
Well they do it once or twice and then they stop for whatever reason. At least for the 2 years I’ve lived here that’s the way it’s been.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #63
Descant

Default Long ago

I spent a winter in the Weirs area m any years ago. There were few people there; the only businesses open were the Superette, the Fire Station and the Post Office. Occasionally a train went through. Lakeside Ave was plowed, but there was certainly no reason to clear sidewalks. Not much has changed, except the PO and the Fire Station moved to Rt 11B.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #64
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
Sad to lose our view as we pull out of Hilliard. Also our favorite spot to watch the fireworks.

On the plus side we will finally get a crosswalk from Hilliard across Route 3.
Ditto here.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #65
pondguy

I miss the Superette old George could always cut you a nice steak.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #66
MeredithMan

Default Superette

....that's a memory from the Way-Back Machine....Early 70's....my parents were on a first-name basis with George, (as probably were all his regulars). I can remember going in there with my father or mother to pick up some steak, burger meat, jug of milk...lot easier than schlepping it to Star Market in Gilford when you just needed a couple things.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
pondguy (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #67
John Mercier

Quote:
I spent a winter in the Weirs area m any years ago. There were few people there; the only businesses open were the Superette, the Fire Station and the Post Office. Occasionally a train went through. Lakeside Ave was plowed, but there was certainly no reason to clear sidewalks. Not much has changed, except the PO and the Fire Station moved to Rt 11B.
The reason is to avoid the lawsuit.
Belmont has a sidewalk that runs down past the town beach to the Laconia city line... it has no real value... but we were sued under the ADA for not keeping it cleared.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #68
Descant

Quote:
The reason is to avoid the lawsuit.
Belmont has a sidewalk that runs down past the town beach to the Laconia city line... it has no real value... but we were sued under the ADA for not keeping it cleared.
Geesh! A good lawyer for Belmont would have gotten postponements until the snow melted and then it would have been a moot question. You'rte taking this thread waaaay too seriously. You don't remember when Lakeside Ave was plowed in a manner that allowed the fire department to spray an area for a skating rink?
Old 12-17-2021, 10:08 PM   #69
John Mercier

No. It would arise again as I am sure that you understand that it snows in future years. The ruling would stand, and another court case would not be needed except to determine damages.

I remember a lot of things in Laconia on Lakeside and there abouts. I also remember that they occurred at a different time under different regulations and conditions.

I think you could find several snowmobilers that could relate coming from Lilly Pond down to Karl's and then needing the sidewalk over the bridge covered with snow to control their machines so they could get back down onto the rail.

The trip to Karl's was legal at the time because the law required land to posted against usage, and the rail was/is legal when snowcovered between the posted dates. The trip over the bridge on the sidewalk was never legal... but Laconia DPW gave up on keeping it clean as we would just push it back down into the sidewalk.

We just aren't in those times anymore.
Descant (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #70
LoveLakeLife

Where exactly was the superette and when did it go away?

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #71
Descant

Default Where is the superette?

Going north on Lakeside Ave., top of the hill Behind it was the fire station. Across the street is Foster Ave. On those two corners were the Grange Hall (summer barber shop) and the post office. The building is still there, but now a bar/restaurant.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #72
pondguy

They have a new sign up https://www.lookoutnh.com/
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #73
WinnisquamZ

Viewed the website. Modern looking units. Something we have seen little of here. No prices are noted, however, if we look at what is being built on Union Ave having sold out around the 800k number with day docks. My guess is around the same due to no water access or valet service available

Old 01-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #74
Descant

Default Architect?

I wouldn't want to be on the board of directors when those flat roofs start failing. I guess if you live inside, it doesn't matter that the outside is ugly. The website talks about their unique interior designs. No brag about external beauty. I think I'd want a balcony or patio to enjoy the view, natural breezes etc.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #75
8gv

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This beholder deems those units "fugly".
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-16-2022), root1 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #76
fatlazyless

It looks that the Laconia-DPW was been removing the snow from the lengthy, long, sidewalks that surround this hilltop location. Endicott St which is the Daniel Webster Highway or Route 3 and Lakeside Avenue both have wide, new, sidewalks when combined with steep Tower Street, no sidewalk and very little car traffic, make about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile loop walk. Maybe it's one mile length, not too sure? Anyway, it appears the sidewalks are now getting snow removal, there, for maybe the first time?

Is not a bad place to take a long walk on a cold wintry day and soak up that NH-January sunshine plus parking your car in a Lakeside Ave parking space is free in the winter. ..... ...... is time to go visit the Weirs and do a walk or a run around that there Tower St loop, thanks to the Laconia-DPW for doing their no-longer snow covered sidewalks. .....
Old 01-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #77
WinnisquamZ

Never a flat roof fan in New England. Must say roof peaks and valleys have many of the same issues.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:21 AM   #78
4 for Boating

Wow - to be delivered fall 2022 (full homes) - that seems pretty fast seeing right now that's about as long as it would take to get someone to come by your home and fix the plumbing of a sink or electrical outlet... Joke
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #79
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
Wow - to be delivered fall 2022 (full homes) - that seems pretty fast seeing right now that's about as long as it would take to get someone to come by your home and fix the plumbing of a sink or electrical outlet... Joke
Agree. Don’t see fall of 22 for a move in date. Curious we’re all the labor will be coming from.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #80
Descant

Quote:
Agree. Don’t see fall of 22 for a move in date. Curious we’re all the labor will be coming from.
Could be modular.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #81
TiltonBB

Default Condo Appearance

I looked again at the website and the pictures of the construction. The more I look the less I like the appearance. I filled out their inquiry form just to email them an opinion about the modern look. I don't think it will help them from a sales perspective.

Given the city's objection to the original canopy design and installation at Cumberland Farms I am surprised they will accept the current design for the condos.

Here is the website:

https://www.lookoutnh.com/
Old 01-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #82
John Mercier

Modern design for the lake is currently in.
Large black/black windows with no grilles.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #83
WinnisquamZ

The Lincoln Log generation is moving on. Next up, the Lego generation

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 06:12 PM   #84
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Modern design for the lake is currently in.
Large black/black windows with no grilles.
It is and I don't like it. It's so plain. Black, no grills and no roundups. NO STYLE.

Obviously my opinion.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #85
John Mercier

Round top and eyebrow are impossible to do in fiberglass.
So windows with that configuration that are not vinyl (the only round top that can actually be flashed well) are out about 140 manufacturing days plus delivery time.
There are five manufacturing days to a week, and those do not include holidays.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:05 PM   #86
Descant

Manufacturing time has nothing to do with fugly. Can't imagine, no balconies.
TiltonBB (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #87
John Mercier

Quote:
Manufacturing time has nothing to do with fugly. Can't imagine, no balconies.
If you want to get them before next year it does. Construction loans cost a fortune in interest.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:47 AM   #88
BroadHopper

Quote:
If you want to get them before next year it does. Construction loans cost a fortune in interest.
A big reason why manufactured homes are attractive. Many manufacturers are experiencing big demands right now. Yet there are misconceptions that manufactured homes cannot come with styles and features only stick-built can offer. Also misconception that stick-builts offer better quality. It's the opposite, unfortunately.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:30 PM   #89
John Mercier

Not the whole building... my comment was on windows only.
Other than vinyl, arched windows have aluminum cladding... between the shortage of that and of pigments for colorants, window manufacturing lead times are bordering on the seven to eight months timeline.

Developments being built for immediate sale do not have time on their side.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #90
sky's

omg those are ugly. contemporary crap that will have many leaks and keep there local carpenters busy in a few years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
LongBay (02-01-2022), root1 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #91
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
omg those are ugly. contemporary crap that will have many leaks and keep there local carpenters busy in a few years
What does style have to do with quality of construction…… nothing. Don’t like the style is an opinion which we are all entitled to but how can you criticize quality when you do not even know the builder or their reputation.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #92
Descant

Default Flat roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
What does style have to do with quality of construction…… nothing. Don’t like the style is an opinion which we are all entitled to but how can you criticize quality when you do not even know the builder or their reputation.
I think Sky's right. Many small flat roof sections is not a good plan regardless of who the builder is. This isn't like a school or a factory flat roof, all in one plane that can be drained and maintained.
LongBay (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #93
LongBay

Default Take your flatlander architecture elsewhere

I agree with Sky. They are ugly. If you were to take a survey I bet most would agree who live in this area. These developers should go and take a look at the recent developments built up the hill or over in Jackson NH rather than Miami Beach for design inspiration.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #94
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
I agree with Sky. They are ugly. If you were to take a survey I bet most would agree who live in this area. These developers should go and take a look at the recent developments built up the hill or over in Jackson NH rather than Miami Beach for design inspiration.
I do not like the style either. However, this is just a rendering not necessarily the final design. Design still needs to be submitted and approved by the city of Laconia.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #95
TheTimeTraveler

Flat roofs in New England make no sense at all. Not from a design standpoint or functionality.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #96
garysanfran

Default Garage doors...

I only see three partial garage doors on the right. No others?
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #97
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
I think they want to be different.

Being just another municipality on the lake... and the one that many consider the underdog, has Laconia looking for new inspiration - and Miami Beach may be it.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #98
Loub52

I’m trying to envision what that development might look like running down Meredith Bay or from Spindle Point toward the Weirs Channel. It doesn’t make me smile. Thought something in the same vein as the Mount Washington resort on that property would make sense.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:03 PM   #99
Winilyme

The entire green (well used to be) hillside bounded by Soleil Mountain and Scenic Roads and now extending SE all the way to this Tower Road/Route 3 parcel is being overrun by development.

In three years I predict this whole area will be blanketed by homes and Meredith Bay (all two or three miles of it) will, for all appearances, look nothing like the nature-infused websites that tout these new developments. If anything, maybe the flat roofs of the 'Lookout Town Homes' will be less noticeable from the water than the towering rooflines of the mini-mansions on 1/2 acre lots that increasingly line the western side of Meredith Bay.

Once all this land is consumed, developers will move on to fill whatever other green gaps remain around the lake.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #100
John Mercier

Already being filled.
Even the lesser known lakes and ponds are seeing accelerated development.