Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...bear hunting!

Hey, here's something interesting.....it must be bear hunting season....saw two guys probably a father and son, all dressed head to toe in camoflage, roll a wheel barrow down a steep logging access road and onto the side shoulder of Rt 49-Thornton with what looked to be a very recently deceased 300-lb black bear. It could have made a great advertisement for the Ford Focus wagon! They lowered the back seat, opened the rear hatch, and loaded everything; the dead black bear, the wheel barrow, their rifles, and packs all into that little 40-mpg maroon Ford Focus. They loaded that dead bear with utmost great care almost like you'd think it was still alive!

Apparently, everyone was liking the roominess of that little Ford Focus wagon.......especially the bear.....it looked very dead but very comfortable all at the same time!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
MarkinNH

Black Bear Hunting in NH

From the NH Fish & Game's website

N.H. black bear by Duane Cross

September 1 marks the start of the bear hunting season in New Hampshire. Bears may be hunted over bait, by stalking or with hounds.

The statewide bear population appears relatively stable at an estimated 4,800 animals. The population is strong throughout the state and abundant hunting opportunities exist in most areas. Bear densities are relatively consistent with population management objectives in all of the state's six bear management regions.

During the 2010 season, hunters took 706 bears in New Hampshire. Hunters typically harvest 8-10% (400-500 bears) of the state's bear population.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (09-04-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
The Hairy Beast

Good for them, and congrats on a successful hunt. I fished the Winni Ice Derby last February and on night two my hosts served spaghetti with a sauce made from ground black bear meat (spearghetti) and it really hit the spot. My 13 year old son ate so much, they bet he'd throw up, but he didn't.

Yumm...bear...
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default bear

While up in Maine this weekend I had some excellent grilled black bear.
Honestly if I hadn’t been told I would have thought it was lean beef.
Then I was told by one of the people there who was a Maine guide that one in the party he guided last week shot a bear that dressed out at 30lbs. Yes that was correct 30 pounds. That wasn’t the bear the meat came from; it had come from the 250lb bear.
Now what kind of a hunter shoots a cub? I know it is legal and all but you’ve gotta be one sorry ass desperate hunter to shoot a cub.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
jkjoshuatree

Default I Know This May Start A Debate But...

...shooting a cub?

Come on!

Here's my take on hunting. It's not a skill. You have a high powered rifle against a defenseless animal that has no idea it's going to be shot.

A "real" hunter (IMO) would sport a loin cloth and maybe have a knife or rock (hey, if you can fashion a spear out of materials gathered in the woods, more power to ya!) and then go after the bear/deer/moose etc.

That would take some skill. Would "hunters" die in the process? Probably. But at least the animal would have a fair chance.

And before people attack me (pun definitely intended) I understand that we need to hunt to control the population and to get rid of the sick and weaker ones, but a cub?

Karma baby!!!

*In my best Forrest Gump impression*, That's all I have to say about that.
Billy Bob (12-17-2013), Lucy Goose (09-06-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default Laughing my ass off

That was funny.
My son is a hunter, although he has yet to bag his first deer.
I’m not against it and in fact look forward to my son giving some meat when he does finally win and get one.
I’ve eaten Moose, Deer, Bear and even Antelope when I was out west in the Air Force.
I know if my son shoots a deer it won’t be an infant or even a small one.

Another thing to consider, when they hunt bear they bait them in to shoot them.
So this guy actually shot a cub that came onto the bait.
Pretty sad if you ask me.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...shooting a cub?

Come on!

Here's my take on hunting. It's not a skill. You have a high powered rifle against a defenseless animal that has no idea it's going to be shot.

A "real" hunter (IMO) would sport a loin cloth and maybe have a knife or rock (hey, if you can fashion a spear out of materials gathered in the woods, more power to ya!) and then go after the bear/deer/moose etc.

That would take some skill. Would "hunters" die in the process? Probably. But at least the animal would have a fair chance.

And before people attack me (pun definitely intended) I understand that we need to hunt to control the population and to get rid of the sick and weaker ones, but a cub?

Karma baby!!!

Not getting into it because I value your opinion as well as your right to it, but would like to put just a few things into perspective.

I will not disagree with the cub aspect of your thoughts and that type of hunter gets lumped in with the "I shot all my bullets at it, to knock it down" crowd. That is not hunting, that is shooting.

I can hand a gun to any non shooter or hunter and ask that they accurately shoot it the first time. 9 out of 10 will not make the mark, shooting requires practice, but that was not your point and I understand.

You can never have to much patience while hunting, you are persueing an animal that is very in tune with its surroundings. Hunters, not so much. We make a racket, smell awful and look out of place.

Some hunters put time into the activity, I am talking real time. In the last month alone I have just about 35 hours into scouting and stand prep. That is only for bow season which is still a week and a half away. All that time is spent without knowing if I will even see an animal worth harvesting. Other hunters have there own opinions on this, but I pass up quite a few deer every season, because of my own expectations.

The second to last day of rifle season had me in a calling game with a mature buck that refused to come within range. He grunted at me several times to get me to go to him and my efforts (that were good enough for him to think I was worth calling back to) were not enough to change his mind. This lasted for more than two hours. In the end, his senses prevailed over my skill and patience. I was holding a rifle that I have shot accurately and comfortably to 300 yards, he was within 50, but due to topograghy is actually pretty far around here in the middle of the woods.

With my bow I have to perform all the above tasks while getting within a close enough range and line of site that I could actually hit the deer with a stone.

All I am asking is that you don't lump us all together, some of us ARE hunters and we feel the same way you do about the ones shooting cubs and fenced animals.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
jkjoshuatree

Default Well Said jmen24!

I apologize for "lumping" you with people who just "shoot".

But even still, I see deer and moose all the time and I also get within a few yards of them when walking.

If I had a gun on me, couldn't I just take it out and shoot it? Why would I have to wait for hours?

I also forgot to mention that I love venision, buffalo, elk, etc. and that I have no problem at all with hunters who utilize EVERY IMAGINABLE part of whatever they killed (i.e. Indians).

But for someone to kill a creature that has just as much right (if not more) to be here as we do just to mount it on their wall, I just don't get it.

Like I said, however, if someone could pull a Rambo and kill a Wild Boar with just a hunting knife, props to them. That guy, in my humble opinion, has mad skills. Lol!!

No disrespect jmen24. It's all good my friend!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Not getting into it because I value your opinion as well as your right to it, but would like to put just a few things into perspective.

I will not disagree with the cub aspect of your thoughts and that type of hunter gets lumped in with the "I shot all my bullets at it, to knock it down" crowd. That is not hunting, that is shooting.

I can hand a gun to any non shooter or hunter and ask that they accurately shoot it the first time. 9 out of 10 will not make the mark, shooting requires practice, but that was not your point and I understand.

You can never have to much patience while hunting, you are persueing an animal that is very in tune with its surroundings. Hunters, not so much. We make a racket, smell awful and look out of place.

Some hunters put time into the activity, I am talking real time. In the last month alone I have just about 35 hours into scouting and stand prep. That is only for bow season which is still a week and a half away. All that time is spent without knowing if I will even see an animal worth harvesting. Other hunters have there own opinions on this, but I pass up quite a few deer every season, because of my own expectations.

The second to last day of rifle season had me in a calling game with a mature buck that refused to come within range. He grunted at me several times to get me to go to him and my efforts (that were good enough for him to think I was worth calling back to) were not enough to change his mind. This lasted for more than two hours. In the end, his senses prevailed over my skill and patience. I was holding a rifle that I have shot accurately and comfortably to 300 yards, he was within 50, but due to topograghy is actually pretty far around here in the middle of the woods.

With my bow I have to perform all the above tasks while getting within a close enough range and line of site that I could actually hit the deer with a stone.

All I am asking is that you don't lump us all together, some of us ARE hunters and we feel the same way you do about the ones shooting cubs and fenced animals.
Oh and that's nice too. Talk about painful. And what about the ones you hit but don't successfully kill.

Avid animal lover. I hate it all. Would love to give the animals some guns and arrows. And shooting any young is, well just makes you a bonafide coward in my book.

Sorry, don't usually do it but had to speak my mind. Don't hunt on my property, thanks!!!
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Goose For This Useful Post:
Marauder (12-17-2013)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
jmen24

Quote:
I apologize for "lumping" you with people who just "shoot".

But even still, I see deer and moose all the time and I also get within a few yards of them when walking.

If I had a gun on me, couldn't I just take it out and shoot it? Why would I have to wait for hours?

I also forgot to mention that I love venision, buffalo, elk, etc. and that I have no problem at all with hunters who utilize EVERY IMAGINABLE part of whatever they killed (i.e. Indians).

But for someone to kill a creature that has just as much right (if not more) to be here as we do just to mount it on their wall, I just don't get it.

Like I said, however, if someone could pull a Rambo and kill a Wild Boar with just a hunting knife, props to them. That guy, in my humble opinion, has mad skills. Lol!!

No disrespect jmen24. It's all good my friend!
I have had those experiences with the wildlife in the woods both with a firearm in my hand (and not taken a shot at that animal, but just watched)and without, it's an awesome experience. Being close enough to a deer to hear her breathing and feel the vibrations of her footsteps on the ground is something that most people will never experience. Seeing an animal within minutes of entering the woods is common, it is up to each individual hunter to determine what they choose to harvest.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to utilize every single part of a deer today. I am a big fan of venison liver and because of the additional crap that we have introduced into their habitat, the liver is full of some really nasty stuff. I understand where you are coming from though. While I enjoy all those meats as well, it should be noted that Buffalo is a farm raised meat in this country and is more of a domestic red meat than a game meat, similar to cows. There are less than 6 tags issued each year for the harvesting of Bison in Yellowstone and only a few other areas allow for free range hunting of the great beast, so very few people have ever actually had wild Buffalo on their plate, for well over a hundred years.

Don't these animals have a right to live where your house is built or your neighbors. Don't they have a right not to have to cross a 2 lane road just to move from their beds to their food source. We as a society don't seem to care about the intrusions into their habitat when we as a whole stand to benefit, at that point it is just collateral damage. If we want to continue to reach further and further into their habitat with our society then we owe it to these animals to protect the mass of the herd from starvation and disease, which are the resulting factors when over population of limited resources occurs. Hunting is a vital part of the conservation process, without it, there will be nothing to conserve. We do not have the predator base to keep the populations to a maintainable level and if we did, everyone would be crying about the amount of dangerous animals that are getting to close to our homes.

Pulling a Rambo and attacking a wild animal sounds really skillful and I have seen a few movies that portray that, but using a knife, sword, spear, rock, underpowered bow or firearm and Mortal Kombat are illegal means for harvesting a wild animal. Mostly because it is inhumane. The depth of penatration required to interupt the flow of blood and/or oxygen is quite deep (think about the length of a bayonet, that is a purpose built weapon for what you describe). If you truely think that attacking an animal in hand to hoof/paw combat is a manlier method of harvest, then we have a different respect for these animals.

Even the Natives traded up from spears and rocks to bows when the more efficient method of harvest was discovered. Is it at that point that you stop using the Natives in your analogy in regard to purity in the world of hunting. Lines can be drawn all through the sand at different points and methods of hunting. For myself it happens to be fair chase. I would stand on your side of that line in regard to hunters wishing to harvest large trophy animals within the confines of a pen, no matter how large an area it happens to be.

JK, I just want to thank you for your ability to have a civil discussion regarding pationate opinions. It is not common when discussing the opposing views in regard to hunting, as evident by the post above mine. Your ability to listen to the other sides views and respect the opinion without respecting the position is a breath of fresh air. Jumping up and down and kicking the dirt all over from either side, does nothing.

Mad props to you my friend. Thank you

ps. Lucy Goose, at no point in this thread did anyone advocate the killing of young animals and reality says that animals do not have the motor skills or dexterity to handle firearms, you would likely get hurt making the offer to them, they have been given instincts and senses that far outweigh ours as their defense. I respect your right to an opinion, but your tact will win you no battles. If you would like to have a civil discussion, without the name calling and bleeding hearts, I would be more than happy to have that conversation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-11-2011), hilltopper (09-07-2011), ishoot308 (09-07-2011), jkjoshuatree (09-07-2011), Winnisquamguy (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
GTO

Quote:

Just to jump on the "some hunters put time into this". Well, I can see where some do not. Near where I live is a corn field on the edge of the woods. About 10 feet into the woods is a hunters tree stand. How sad is that. Its like a fisherman going to the aqaurium to fish.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
hilltopper

Quote:
ps. Lucy Goose, at no point in this thread did anyone advocate the killing of young animals and reality says that animals do not have the motor skills or dexterity to handle firearms, you would likely get hurt making the offer to them, they have been given instincts and senses that far outweigh ours as their defense. I respect your right to an opinion, but your tact will win you no battles. If you would like to have a civil discussion, without the name calling and bleeding hearts, I would be more than happy to have that conversation.
Amazing how many people cannot have a civil discussion regarding hunting. Some people simply cannot understand that you need to keep wildlife populations at certain levels in order to keep the general population healthy. Until mountain lions and wolves are again roaming the Northeast in numbers hunting is the only way to do this.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
GM doc

Default Hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
Oh and that's nice too. Talk about painful. And what about the ones you hit but don't successfully kill.

Avid animal lover. I hate it all. Would love to give the animals some guns and arrows. And shooting any young is, well just makes you a bonafide coward in my book.

Sorry, don't usually do it but had to speak my mind. Don't hunt on my property, thanks!!!
Well, I will put in my 2 cents.
LG, YOU are an animale lover, BUT you added to the issues of over populating correct? You own a house on THERE area to feed and roam. YOU drive on the roads where the animals feed and roam. YOU go to the mall where animals USED to feed, roam and mateon.

I do not hunt, I perfer my red meat at the store but will eat meat from a "hunted animal" any time. The hunters keep the populations in check. Thats what the Fish and Game service helps with in the state.
As for "do not hunt on your property", post it and none can, BUT they are allowed to TRACK a wounded animal onto your land. Just sayin.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM doc For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (09-10-2011), Pineedles (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Amazing how many people cannot have a civil discussion regarding hunting. Some people simply cannot understand that you need to keep wildlife populations at certain levels in order to keep the general population healthy. Until mountain lions and wolves are again roaming the Northeast in numbers hunting is the only way to do this.
When we decided as a society to remove virtually all of the deer's natural predators, it shifted the balance. Take a ride down Rt 81 through NY, Pennsylvania and you will see the results.

We have a couple of coyote packs around us, but they have been quiet this year.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
When we decided as a society to remove virtually all of the deer's natural predators, it shifted the balance. Take a ride down Rt 81 through NY, Pennsylvania and you will see the results.

Those packs may be quiet this year because of the heavy snow last winter, which afforded them some relatively easier hunting. Deeper snow kinda levels the proverbial playing field.

BTW -- If y'all want to hunt deer, come on down to Pennsyltuckey -- we have more deer (and black bear) per square mile than any other state. Come get 'em before the cars do!
KPW (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
dpg

I've hunted (not much any more) and baiting any animal is just wrong. Well maybe the exception being mice getting in your attic!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #17
TOAD

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle.

Here is something that many don't know. The word "vegetarian" is in fact a word from the American Indian culture meaning "crappy hunter."
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOAD For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (09-15-2011)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Life is Wild

Default What?

Is it true that it is legal to shoot bear cubs? Was that a mis-print?
Life is Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Wild View Post
Is it true that it is legal to shoot bear cubs? Was that a mis-print?
It is in fact true that if you desired you could harvest a cub or yearling animal in this state with a few exceptions:

Antlered only seasons require that the buck havested having certain antler size requirements in order to be a legal harvest. However, those restrictions can allow for the taking of a first year deer in this state. It is to prevent the taking of does.

There are others, but you get the idea. It is not frowned upon from a legal standpoint, just a moral one!
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Life is Wild (11-06-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
SunsetPointWentworth

We have a hunter in our family. I'll just say what my Grandmother says, whenever he brings up hunting " I'm for the Bear!".

SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #21
Greene's Basin Girl

I don't think there is is anything more adorable then bear cubs. Thanks for the video.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #22
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
...shooting a cub?

Come on!

Karma baby!!!

Now this was funny.. I'm not a hunter, the only shooting I do is with my camera. While I just couldn't line up an animal in a gunsite and pull the trigger, I "get it" and have zero problem with those that do hunt.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
dpg

Only scum bags would shoot a Cub...
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #24
Justenuff

Default Bearing Arms

I support my right to arm bears!
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justenuff View Post
I support my right to arm bears!
I totally agree with you.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post

Just did that trip.......saw approximately 30 dead deer in about 5 hours
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #27
ApS

Smile Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I don't think there is is anything more adorable then bear cubs. Thanks for the video.
This "IcanhaveCheezburger" photo came with the caption: "Come at me, Bro !!!".

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
dpg

Love the term "harvest???" Call it what it is...Killing...
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Tired of Waiting (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
Tired of Waiting

Default You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Love the term "harvest???" Call it what it is...Killing...
I still hunt. I kill the deer and eat them.

The reason for the term harvest is for PC. The state controls the size of the heard by having hunters "harvest" the excess. Sounds better than killing to those who don't hunt.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #30
Pineedles

The author of this excerpt from the High Country News sums it up pretty well. The bolded statements of her's are my addition for emphasis.

Jackie Wheeler teaches writing and environmental rhetoric at Arizona State University.

I think humanely killed game can be a far more ethical food source than factory-bred and slaughtered livestock. . So let’s call it what it is: killing. People have always killed to eat, and will continue to do so. Rather than linguistically sanitizing that fact, we should focus on best practices in hunting and land use in general.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
DRH (12-17-2013), Electric man (12-22-2013), Tired of Waiting (12-18-2013), trfour (12-17-2013)