Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Vinyl treatment for upholstery

Need some suggestions for a vinyl treatment for my boat's upholstery.

My boat is 12 yrs old, and I am beginning to notice that the vinyl fabric upholstery is not as soft and flexible as when new. It appears to becoming stiff on certain surfaces especially on the seat cushions. In some areas,
the vinyl has begun to split and tear, mostly at the corners.

I know over the course of time and weather conditions this is normal wear and tear. However, are there vinyl conditioner products which will bring back some of the luster to the fabric, as well as make the vinyl softer and more pliable?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
robmac

BD,there are alot of choices out there. I use 3M marine cleaner and conditioner on all of my upolstery and after six seasons still looks and feel brand new. You can check with your local marina to see what products they recommend or with a marine upolstery shop.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
John E

303 aerospace protectant is what I would recommend for protecting the vinyl. I don't know what, if anything, would bring your vinyl back to life.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
VtSteve

The Aerospace 303, both the cleaner and the protectant, are the best products I've ever used. Use of both will make the vinyl more flexible and pliable, but the degree of restoration depends on the condition.

Since it's winter, I'd suggest maybe getting some repair or replace quotes to see how that would do. The 303 will do the best job, without further deteriorating the vinyl. There are many other cleaners out there that have harmful agents that will actually accelerate the aging process.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
kjbathe

Default I like 3M

A full 3M cleaning kit with separate products for deck surfaces, fiberglass, gelcoat and vinyl came with our new boat 2 years ago. I have used other products, but after trying the 3M, that's what I really prefer; especially the vinyl cleaner. Spray it on, let it work for about a minute, and the dirt, lotions and oxidation wipes right up leaving a clean surface and no slippery / waxy residue.

Everyone has their favorites - and I was admittedly skeptical about a 3M product you can get at WalMart, but continue to be impressed with the results.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links