Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
Skip

Exclamation Littering on Lake Winipesaukee....

It certainly doesn't pay to throw your empty beer cans into the Lake.

HERE are 900 reasons why you don't want to get caught littering, courtesy of the on-line edition of this morning's Citizen!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Island Life

The trouble is catching them. We've had boaters, who anchor off the island, pitch their bag of trash onto the island before speeding off.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Webbsatwinni

We regularly fill a bag up with the trash that we collect off of the shore and lake bottom just in front of our place. We originally thought this was left by the previous owners, but once we cleaned it, there was more.

Some interesting stuff too, and too many drive skegs to count.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not just boaters

Years ago, when I did scuba diving, there were places we would dive that were meccas for ice fishing in the winter, and in the summer, the bottom was littered with beer/soda cans/bottles, sometimes so many that it formed a small pyramid-type mound ( a few not so small.).

Unfortunately, the back packers motto of pack it in, pack it out doesn't seem to apply to some of our lake and stream users.

Nice to see those who get caught get a hefty fine.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Phantom

unfortunately the FEW, wreck it for the MAJORITY !!

Any "reasonable" boater packs their snacks, lunch & drinks (whatever) and repacks the empties & trash for the return trip home.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
KonaChick

This is a timely discussion because this summer I was thinking how clean the lake was and how proud I was of lakeside residents and day trippers for being so responsible...I guess others noticed differently!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Audiofn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
This is a timely discussion because this summer I was thinking how clean the lake was and how proud I was of lakeside residents and day trippers for being so responsible...I guess others noticed differently!
Not on Lake Winni., but I had to spend about a half hour with my son picking up some Wendies bags, napkins, frie boxes and lots of other trash this weekend. It had been better this summer until last week.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Taz

The writer of the article made a mistake. It is not illegal to boat and drink alcohol. You can drink alcohol on a boat and drive as long as you are no over the blood alcohol legal limit.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
The writer of the article made a mistake. It is not illegal to boat and drink alcohol. You can drink alcohol on a boat and drive as long as you are no over the blood alcohol legal limit.
Not quite. As long as you are not impaired to any degree.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
secondcurve

I can't tell you how annoying it is for me to see folks toss their cigarettes off boats, out car windows, etc. If I were the King, I'd sentence anyone caught doing this to 80 hours of picking up trash on our roads and/or in our waterways. Eventually with enough punishment handed out the practice would be greatly reduced. A public canning for anyone caught twice would also be allowed in my kingdom.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Seeker

I think we should just pick them up and throw them back in their car still lit.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
It certainly doesn't pay to throw your empty beer cans into the Lake.

HERE are 900 reasons why you don't want to get caught littering, courtesy of the on-line edition of this morning's Citizen!
That is awesome- I only wish they would enforce the cigarette law more often (as a rider it is bad enough getting a bee off the noggin, I hate seeing one of those lit missiles coming my way)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is awesome- I only wish they would enforce the cigarette law more often (as a rider it is bad enough getting a bee off the noggin, I hate seeing one of those lit missiles coming my way)
I fully agree. I was on my motorcycle one day, and some jackhole in front of me tossed a lit cigarette butt out his window. It hit the ground and bounced up, spinning in the air, then hit me in the chest. It fell down my front, and went up my shorts. T'was not a very pleasant experience. If I didn't have to stop to put out the fire in my pants, I would have tried to catch up to the guy and give him his "trash" back.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I fully agree. I was on my motorcycle one day, and some jackhole in front of me tossed a lit cigarette butt out his window. It hit the ground and bounced up, spinning in the air, then hit me in the chest. It fell down my front, and went up my shorts. T'was not a very pleasant experience. If I didn't have to stop to put out the fire in my pants, I would have tried to catch up to the guy and give him his "trash" back.
Yes, jackhole is a good term for them- I redeposited a load of MacD's trash into a car full of kids one night- they were not very happy about it!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
gravy boat

Default Good to see...

...that even business owners (V. Miner of GMI Paving) was named in that article and busted for littering. Sends a good sign that everyone will be fined if caught littering.

I can't tell you how many beer cans, plastic shopping bags, styrofoam cups and other crapola we retrieve from the lake every year. I REALLY like the poster who "redeposited" the McD's debris back to the car from which it originated.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Cool Old Litter Can Be Interesting

This summer after my post asking How Much Damage Can A Wine Bottle Cause?, I was snorkeling around our dock and became very upset when I spotted a green wine bottle tucked in at the end, wedged at the base of a large, deep rock. Like you, littering makes me very cranky. I swam down to retrieve it and realized right away that this was not a recent wine bottle. It is a very heavy odd sized green bottle with a deep divot in the bottom and a sturdy ridge at the neck. I wonder how could it have escaped our notice all these years? R-Guy thinks it might be an old champagne bottle. There are no seams or the little ridges on the base that today’s bottles have. This weekend I will take a picture. Maybe someone here can tell me more about my old lake litter.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
Phantom

Is the cork still in it ???

Just kidding
Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
SOB

Default Don't understand it..

When I am on the lake or up in NH (from RI) I won't even drop the smallest wrapper on the ground. On the lake forget it, I routinely would grab floating cans and whatever when I had my jetski on the lake for the past 7 yrs. Its tough to do now with the pontoon boat.

I cant understand how you can look around you and then toss garbage into that lake! People amaze me.

I have a box of 100 garbage bags stored on board, fill it as you create waste and toss it in any dumpster at the end of the day. If you belong to a marina then you most likely have a dumpster to use.

Some people are just too lazy, but how can you justify it in your head as you do it?!
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
Misty Blue

Default Braun Bay trash.

With the amount of day tripping in the head of Braun Bay I am always suprised at how little trash we have found in the water. Usually, if any is found it is six empty buds in one spot which shows only one fellon.

I also hunt the woods in Kona and there is very little, as you say, crapolla to be found on the shore.

It appears that the boaters are self enforcing the rules and I say good for them.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #20
ApS

Red face Many Paws Make Light Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
...I can't tell you how many beer cans, plastic shopping bags, styrofoam cups and other crapola we retrieve from the lake every year..."
'Seems like you "otter" get some help with those.
Attached Images