Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default What a difference a day makes!

I think every boat on this lake was out today. I have never experienced the grid lock going thru the channel as I did today. There were hundreds of boats out today. Winds were real strong. Nice to see life out there.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Island Girl

Default Bumpy Broads

They must have all been in the channel. Out here in the broads there have been very few brave adventurers... except for Sunset Bob who went by a couple of hours ago... very quiet here.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
DRH

Default Active Here

There was plenty of boating activity here between Sleeper's Island and Minge Cove today. Typical of a warm summer weekend, but more activity than we have seen on most weekends this summer.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Orion

Default traffic jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
I think every boat on this lake was out today. I have never experienced the grid lock going thru the channel as I did today. There were hundreds of boats out today. Winds were real strong. Nice to see life out there.
They were probably all going 1 mph thru the channel instead of the allowed 5.8 mph.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Going across the lake, that is exactly what we found, the broads were very quiet but the bays were busy! It was very rough and cool in the broads. Some of the smaller boars were really taking a beating! All through Bear Island by Shep Brown's and through the Weirs was extremely busy. WE didn't go into Paugus Bay but could see all the traffic!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Airwaves

Default Labor Day Weekend

Sounds like the last hurrah before pulling the boats out for the season.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Sounds like the last hurrah before pulling the boats out for the season.
We're only 2/3 of the way thorugh the season!
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
We're only 2/3 of the way thorugh the season!
What do you mean "season?"

Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Wolfeboro_Baja

I got screwed this past weekend (and last); my tow vehicle is having fuel pump issues and I couldn't trust it to tow the boat up and back. Can you imagine the wrecker bill for towing my truck AND my boat/trailer home or somewhere?!? It completely ruined the weekend for me which should have been SO nice!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
AC2717

Default trust me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I got screwed this past weekend (and last); my tow vehicle is having fuel pump issues and I couldn't trust it to tow the boat up and back. Can you imagine the wrecker bill for towing my truck AND my boat/trailer home or somewhere?!? It completely ruined the weekend for me which should have been SO nice!
it was not the best, by far, boating weekend out there, Saturday was iffy if best because of the overcast skies, and SUnday and Monday, between the wind, the chop caused by the wind, and the cross chop and wakes cause by the other boats it is crazy all over the lake. The only reprive I got from not having a "rip the steering wheel off to hold on day" was behind bear in the no wake zone and then as soon as you got out foerm under the bridge towards the weirs it started again
Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Airwaves

Not to give them a plug, but I have Triple A Plus. The Plus feature costs a few dollars more but means they will tow you pretty much anywhere. I've had tows from Boston to Dracut a couple of times and it didn't cost me anything.

I don't know if they'd do it with a boat attached however! Maybe next year your power boat can be part of the photo Winnipesaukee posted!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
They must have all been in the channel. Out here in the broads there have been very few brave adventurers... except for Sunset Bob who went by a couple of hours ago... very quiet here.

IG
That must have been after the Marine Patrol stoped to check on my well being and left.See pictures in photo post.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=13427
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Little Bear

I was out on the Broads on Sunday afternoon. Went from Little Bear Island over to the southern tip of Rattlesnake. It was a great ride over. However, I saw at least 3 decent size sailboats with what appeared to be broken halyards. There was one right off of Samoset and the people on board seemed to be struggling to gather up the sail, especially while the boat was broadside toward the giant waves. I was concerned that they were going to roll so far that the person on deck was going to fall off. I could not tell if they had auxiliary power or not, but if they did they should have been heading into the wind. I approached them and they gave me a thumbs up, so I kept going. Hope they made it back ok.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
What do you mean "season?"

Poor choice of words
Attached Images

EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
ApS

Smile Halyard...Schmalyard

Actually, Saturday morning wasn't bad on the lake.

The wind gradually grew in strength to the point where I "called it a day" before Noon. Sunday's wind never abated from Saturday afternoon's, so there was no point in venturing forth on Sunday.

So far this week, the wind seems to die around Noon, but it's otherwise been excellent and sunny boating since Sunday. (Hardly anyone out there, either). Before Noon on Monday, there was just one waterskier in the three square miles that can be viewed from here.

With Daylight Savings moving our daylight ever-earlier every day, I'm out on the lake now at 7AM! However, the dock is in full shade by 2PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
"...I saw at least 3 decent size sailboats with what appeared to be broken halyards..."
In extreme conditions, I've had both shrouds partly "unravel" before, but quit sailing before the mast was in danger of falling. Saltwater-use in particular will invade stainless steel shrouds and does damage invisibly.

Three boats with broken halyards would be unusual. Strong winds will dictate reducing sail, and that action could cause a sail to get loose and "just get away" from a crew.