Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
liberator211

Default Any Nuvi 500 Users?

Happy New Year everyone. I am looking for Garmin Nuvi 500 users out there. I recently indulged in a Nuvi 500 and got a great deal on it. The unit only works in “boating” mode if you have a Garmin chart loaded into the MicroSD slot. I also got my hands on the Garmin Inland Lakes Northeast Vision Feb 08. I have a few questions if there are any Nuvi 500 users who used the unit for boating on Winni last summer:

1)Without a Garmin chart chip what mode did you boat in?
2)I have the Garmin Inland Lakes Vision chip but it does not appear to have the markers; is this correct? (Feb 08 version covers Winnipesaukee but Garmin does not state to what extent.)
3)Has anybody loaded Bizer’s file onto their Nuvi 500?
4)Had anybody loaded both the Inland Lakes Northeast and the Bizer file onto their unit? Is it worth the expense to run both?

I am just trying to figure out how to best utilize my Nuvi in the boat. I love the thing and got a great deal on the Garmin Inland Lakes chip so I am thinking about keeping it and then buying Bizer’s file so I can use the boating mode and see the markers. I just wanted to see if anybody had used other modes and if it was really worth the expense if I would get the same results without using the boating mode and the Inland Lakes Chart. Any info/experiences/suggestions in regards to the Nuvi 500, even if it is not related to the above, are appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.
liberator211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Gatto Nero

Default No answers but a question

I was thinking about getting one just to use with Bizer's chart but was waiting for the prices to drop. Can you tell me where you got yours and what you paid?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

While were at it,I bought a Nuvi 450w for x-mas.Does the Bizer Winni chip work in this model?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Pier626

Default Load the Bizer sample into Nuvi 500

I got the Nuvi 500 and plan to pick up the bizer garman map file. I will probably just load it into the Nuvi with the USB connectivity to my computer.
Bizer has a little sample map you can try loading to see the boating mode. But you are correct, without the map file you can't even select boating mode.

-Pier626
Pier626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
While were at it,I bought a Nuvi 450w for x-mas.Does the Bizer Winni chip work in this model?
SIK, I am going out on a limb but I think it works with most of the Nuvis.

I am going to pull the trigger- I just wish the purchasing process were easier, currently you have to download a form, fill it out and mail it in with a check. I can't remember the last time I mailed anything like this, I would love to see a straight credit card based internet transaction.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
SIK, I am going out on a limb but I think it works with most of the Nuvis.

I am going to pull the trigger- I just wish the purchasing process were easier, currently you have to download a form, fill it out and mail it in with a check. I can't remember the last time I mailed anything like this, I would love to see a straight credit card based internet transaction.
I can guess that the reason is the cost of credit card business for a small business person. I used the process last year, and was pleased with the service and speed from Bizer. (We actually had a conversation not too long ago where our credit card bill several years ago was usually not in the three digit amount, and now it seems we write only a few checks, with one being a large check to the credit card company. My how things change. And back in those old days we were charged "per check" by the bank! )
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Pineedles

Default Pulling the trigger

Please be advised that the initial cost of any Garmin product, and I would imagine the TomTom is the same is only the beginning. You get one free update within about 6 months of purchase, then after a couple of years you'll start getting anoying messages saying the maps are out of date and to go to their website. The cost of the update is $100.00! That is something I didn't anticipate. I like the product, but I think Garmin is a bit greedy here.

I haven't done the Bizer upload but that's only because I know the lake pretty well and I operate during daylight hours only.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote