Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Don

Default Boating Riddle

Here's a fun riddle for you Winnipesaukee boaters. Since some of you know the Lake like the back of your hand I'll block off answers for a little while so everyone can try to figure it out:

Friday morning I took a boat ride beginning and ending near Weirs Beach (for this riddle make it the Weirs town docks). The loop covered about 18 miles. I only passed under the 3 bridges shown below (in order) and passed through 6 marked no-wake zones. I took the most direct route between no-wake zones, bridges and the final destination. What was my complete route?

Update: The answer is below the bridge pictures. Don't scroll down past them if you want to try to figure out my route.

Last edited by Don; 08-18-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: update added
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default What Do We Win?

Weirs beach to Governors Island bridge to hole in the wall to Long Island bridge to Black Cat Island bridge to Pine Island to Eagle Island to Weirs Beach.
How did I do??
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
EricP

I will agree with Sunset Bob, I can account for 5 NWZs I just need to check my maps to locate #6.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
topwater

No Wake Zones
1. Governers Island bridge
2. Hole in the wall
3. 9 Acre Island
4. Long Island Bridge
5. Black Cat Bridge
6. Eagle/Governers Island
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Bear Islander

Sunset Bob accounted for 6 NWZs. Three at the bridges plus hole in the wall, Pine Island and Eagle Island.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Sunset Bob accounted for 6 NWZs. Three at the bridges plus hole in the wall, Pine Island and Eagle Island.
That's the one I am missing! I have probably been there but just didn't know it's called hole in the wall Thanks for clarifying that.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Friday morning I took a boat ride beginning and ending near Weirs Beach (for this riddle make it the Weirs town docks). The loop covered about 18 miles. I only passed under the 3 bridges shown below (in order) and passed through 6 marked no-wake zones. I took the most direct route between no-wake zones, bridges and the final destination. What was my complete route?
Weirs’ docks to Fl 1, proceed to inside of Governors Island, under the Governors Island bridge (first no wake zone and first bridge), bottom side of Witches, passed between Welch and Fish Island, possibly between Sandy Island and Long Island or around bottom side of Sandy Island, passing Ragged Island on your starboard side, either way, through the Hole-in-the-Wall between Litle Bear island and Devons Island (second no wake zone), hang a left and through the solid buoys off East Point (Long Island), proceeding to the Long Island bridge (second bridge and third no wake zone), pass between Five Mile Island and Norway Point, hang a right and up between Avery’s Point and Hull Island, hanging a left after Blueberry Island and under the Black Cat bridge (third bridge and fourth no wake zone) (too bad this has to be the most direct route – only a short distance to FL 54, as in Car 54 where are you, and hang a right into Senter cove and observe the boathouse of the steamer Swallows off to the left and the end of the cove – I digress), hang a left and between Three Mile Island and the Beavers (note to self: memorium wave to John), between Pine Island (did PIG offer a sampler?) and Bear Island by their Post Office dock (fifth no wake zone) (note to self: wave to BI), head down to FL 3 (note to self: wave to FLL) and hang a right, head between Eagle Island and Governors Island (sixth no wake zone) and proceed to the Weirs. Fini…
Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
Don

Red face Sorry, no prizes

You are all correct! I thought it would be too easy for many of you.

Someone did guess by email and substituted Sally's Gut for the Governors/Eagle Island NWZ. That would have worked too but I did go the Eagle Island route.

Good job!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote