Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
searay220

Default Boating rules not in the book

If anyone can explain this. A friend got stopped by marine patrol on Saturday out in front of the Wiers and was told that here in the bay the lifejacket age rule was 16 and under. Has anybody ever heard this or even read about it?
I also want to know that the speed limit rule that takes effect next season can not be enforced this season right?
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Airwaves

According to the Boat-Ed web site that has the NH Boating GUIDE but not the actual law. The requirement is 12 years old and under must wear a PFD while on board many, but not all, boats. If the Marine Patrol officer said the limit was 16 years old then I believe he/she was wrong.

What I do in the cases where I believe the Marine Patrol Officer might be wrong, especially if it's a temporary officer, is either radio (VHF) or call (Cell) the MP Headquarters and ask to speak to the OIC (Officer in Charge) and ask him/her to clarify the rule for you while the officer that stopped you is still there.

The speed limit law takes effect on 1 January 2009. You can not be stopped for "speeding" this year. You can be stopped for other violations and be "reminded" that speed limits are going to be imposed, but you can't get a speeding ticket just for "speeding" in 2008.

Just my $.02
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
NoBozo

In Rhode Island, the definitive age for life jackets (PFDs) is all those 13 or under.

I just took the test so all this stuff is fresh in my mind....so far: NoBozo
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Seeker

The NHMP officer I believe is wrong. As of 8/17/07 all youngsters 12 yoa and younger must wear a pfd while boating in NH. This applies if the vessel is underway. The only exception I can recall is if there are rails 36" high around the vessel that the youngster cannot fall thru.
If I'm mistaken it must be CRS kickin' in.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
chipj29

Keep in mind that the PFD rule is different if on a PWC that seats less than 3.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Kamper

I believe they need to cite the statute or regulation to issue the ticket. You should feel free to ask the officer to show you the section they are referring to. Rules that are "not in the book" cannot result in penalties.

Sometimes you can get in legitimate trouble from an interpretation of a law or reg like "excessive speed for the conditions" when driving or failing to take appropriate action to prevent an accident, are two that come to the top of my head. Something as specific as a 4 year age difference for a safety rule would strike me as quite a reach.

... And that's all I think I know about that!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
jonfinn

Rules not in the book (based on personal observations):

-The louder/bigger the boat, the smaller the bathing suit (I believe there is an "inverse proportion law applied here).

-PWC's must wait until you take a nap before running near you.

-If you have to ask whether the charts are important, the rocks move immediately to your underneath your hull.

-the person who's slower at launching must always be in front of you.

-the person who's faster (and less patient) is always be behind you.

-When you're certain you've done everything properly, the drain plug will unscrew itself and teleport back home with no warning. Sometimes the keys too.

-Whenever docking at a new location, the winds must be against your favor, with everyone be watching, and that "Oh, God" comment will be clearly heard by you. Sometimes the webcam will be pointed at you for good measure.

-Any time you ask, "how bad can it be?" you will inevitably find out.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The NHMP officer I believe is wrong. As of 8/17/07 all youngsters 12 yoa and younger must wear a pfd while boating in NH. This applies if the vessel is underway. The only exception I can recall is if there are rails 36" high around the vessel that the youngster cannot fall thru.
If I'm mistaken it must be CRS kickin' in.
I'm just now looking at my NH Boaters Guide (Copyright 2007) page 28 and it says children under 5 (five) years old must wear a life jacket. Wow. That's quite a descrepancy. Might be a good idea to carry your own copy of the Guide in the boat in case the MP officer hasn't read the latest issue.

I got my copy from an MP Officer last September on the Wolfeboro Dock. Just ask. NoBozo
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
kjbathe

The new law went into effect after the 2007 guide was published.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Skip

Post Guide is just that, a guide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
...Might be a good idea to carry your own copy of the Guide in the boat in case the MP officer hasn't read the latest issue...

As unfair as it may sound, the guide is just that, a guide. It is not the legal reference and is subject to change, just as kjbathe points out in his post.

The life jacket rule change is but an excellent example of why it is not best to rely solely on the guide as a standard.

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
As unfair as it may sound, the guide is just that, a guide. It is not the legal reference and is subject to change, just as kjbathe points out in his post.

The life jacket rule change is but an excellent example of why it is not best to rely solely on the guide as a standard.

Skip

I agree. But what else is the boating public supposed to rely on for info? The boating Guide is what the MP is passing out.. In this case, going from 5 years old to 12 is quite a jump.....and in the middle of the season yet. NoBozo
Old 06-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
parrothead

Default RSA Listing

Skip, I was trying to look up an RSA, and was having some difficulty finding it. Is there a particular website you go to find the RSA list. I tried the General Court page, and found listings, but they don't seem to have as much info as the RSA quotes you provide. Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
Skip

Smile Boating guide

Quote:
I agree. But what else is the boating public supposed to rely on for info? The boating Guide is what the MP is passing out.. In this case, going from 5 years old to 12 is quite a jump.....and in the middle of the season yet. NoBozo

I don't know what else to tell you other than the fact that it is aptly titled "Guide".

Laws, like the weather, are very fickle at best and can change like the wind.

However, the lifejacket requirement was highly publicized and widley published across many venues. And by being a regular guest at Don's website here you can rest assured that any hot topics like this get a full and lengthy public airing!

Like my tagline says, ignorance of the law is.........

p.s. Parrothead, just go HERE!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
GWC...

Quote:
I'm just now looking at my NH Boaters Guide (Copyright 2007) page 28 and it says children under 5 (five) years old must wear a life jacket. Wow. That's quite a descrepancy. Might be a good idea to carry your own copy of the Guide in the boat in case the MP officer hasn't read the latest issue.

I got my copy from an MP Officer last September on the Wolfeboro Dock. Just ask. NoBozo
See what you missed by not being a viewer of this Forum?!?!

Note: Thread stated 08-17-2007, 10:12 AM

270:30-a Persons 12 Years of Age or Under.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...0/270-30-a.htm
Old 06-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
jrc

and don't forget the rules

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c400.html
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
WOW: Awesome: I guess I'm Really, Really, Really, in over my head here. Can I access this stuff on my Blackberry"?.......in case I get stopped???

Just being facitious. NoBozo
Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Island Life

Quote:

That was last year's copy. This year's copy of the guide clearly states kids 12 and under must wear life jackets.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
That was last year's copy. This year's copy of the guide clearly states kids 12 and under must wear life jackets.
I guess I am remiss then, because THIS years copy was NOT Available LAST Year. (Late Sept. 07) Is there something wrong with that Logic? Sorry I bothered to post. Also SORRY if I have OFFENDED......... NAH! NoBozo
Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
Island Life

Quote:
I guess I am remiss then, because THIS years copy was NOT Available LAST Year. (Late Sept. 07) Is there something wrong with that Logic? Sorry I bothered to post. Also SORRY if I have OFFENDED......... NAH! NoBozo
Wow. Bozo. What's that all about? We're talking about what the law is this year and I pointed out that this year's Guide reflects the change in the law. Last year's guide wouldn't have done that, as it's publication preceded the change in the law by many months.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfinn View Post
Rules not in the book (based on personal observations):
-Whenever docking at a new location, the winds must be against your favor, with everyone be watching, and that "Oh, God" comment will be clearly heard by you. Sometimes the webcam will be pointed at you for good measure.
And subsection A:
- after observing the wind direction and selecting the best aproach angle the wind WILL shift 180 degrees as you complete your aproach
Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #21
parrothead

Default Thank you Skip

p.s. Parrothead, just go HERE![/QUOTE]
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
Coastal Laker

Default And then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
And subsection A:
- after observing the wind direction and selecting the best aproach angle the wind WILL shift 180 degrees as you complete your aproach
And then, as you finally get to the dock, you toss a line to a friendly bystander against your better judgement - who doesn't pay any attention to the boat tied up in front of you.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Keep in mind that the PFD rule is different if on a PWC that seats less than 3.
I know a three seat PWC is considered a boat and not a "ski craft" but I just automatically assumed that you still needed to wear a PFD on any PWC, even one that seats three or more, but this post made me wonder. Is that not the case?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I know a three seat PWC is considered a boat and not a "ski craft" but I just automatically assumed that you still needed to wear a PFD on any PWC, even one that seats three or more, but this post made me wonder. Is that not the case?
I've questioned that here before and to be honest,I don't remember the answer.Skip?Oh Skip,we need help!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #25
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I've questioned that here before and to be honest,I don't remember the answer.Skip?Oh Skip,we need help!
The 3 seat units are considered a boat and therefore, PFD wearing is not required. Certainly a good idea, but not required, other than to have 1 on board for every person. The only exception would be if a child 12 years or under was a passenger, then he or she would be required to wear a proper PFD.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #26
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
The 3 seat units are considered a boat and therefore, PFD wearing is not required. Certainly a good idea, but not required, other than to have 1 on board for every person. The only exception would be if a child 12 years or under was a passenger, then he or she would be required to wear a proper PFD.
You are correct sir. For the record, myself, or no one else for that matter, has ever been on my PWC (3 seater) without wearing a PFD. I simply will not allow it, no matter what the law says.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
You are correct sir. For the record, myself, or no one else for that matter, has ever been on my PWC (3 seater) without wearing a PFD. I simply will not allow it, no matter what the law says.
Same here!
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #28
jonfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
And subsection A:
hehehehe... yes!
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Additionally, PFDs shall be readily accessible. NH defines that as within arms reach and NOT in a closed container. Think about that for a moment and for most of you with boats, where do you keep your life jackets?

On a PWC or as a passenger on a skicraft (skicraft operators of any age are required to wear PFDs) where is readily accessible? 'Spose you could sit on it or hold it with one hand while you hold on for your very dear life with the other hand...

Wearing seems like the logical option and BTW it should be buckled up 'cause you're going to tumble into the water at some point. That's part of the fun!
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote