Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Great Summer Jobs in the Lakes Region (for a College Kid)

My nephew is just finishing his Freshman year at Indiana State and was asking where he might find a good summer job. He's washed dishes, mowed lawns, etc., in the past but wants something where he'll make a little better money than that...

(I'll put a plug in for him that he's an Eagle Scout, in ROTC program - you name it. Yeah, I'm a proud aunt!)

Anyhow, where's a really great place for a college kid to work and make some extra $$$ over the summer?

Thanks!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Loony Singer

Default lots of seasonal jobs

There are a ton of seasonal jobs up there...don't think most of them pay a lot, but maybe being up in a nice area and having some fun would make up for that. Our two boys bussed and waited tables at various places, delivered pizza, helped set up for events at the Wolfeboro Inn, etc.

Based on our experiences, I'd suggest that your nephew consider a few things besides pay: (1) hours. does he want to have some daylight hours available for having fun on the Lake? that could mean an evening job (2) commuting distance (especially if he does take one of those evening jobs, and (3) are there other young folks working there? our older son once worked at a very nice small restaurant (Red Hill Inn, RIP), and his only complaint was that he was the only person under 40 working there.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
My nephew is just finishing his Freshman year at Indiana State and was asking where he might find a good summer job. He's washed dishes, mowed lawns, etc., in the past but wants something where he'll make a little better money than that...

Thanks!
He'll be spending the Summer in another state, if that is his true desire...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
lakershaker

Thumbs up Check out Marine Patrol

It sounds like he is a responsible young adult. He should check out Marine Patrol, which was a great summer job for me throughout college. It gives you the opportunity to have a lot of responsibility, as well as being a bit more meaningful on the resume than just working at a restaraunt. The only drawback is he may be too late for the training cycle, but in the past they have run a second training program if they need to increase staffing. Call 603-293-2037.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Grady223

Contact Steve at the Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club (603-569-1234) they may be hiring dockhands.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

Thanks for those tips - I've passed the info on to him and will let him take it from there. I started the thread because I figured there would be others in the same boat, so this would serve as info for them as well.

I think he'd be into any of the leads y'all provided that have to do with being outside and on the lake. I don't see him as the type who'd ever work a desk job - he loves the outdoors.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Hmmmm.....lets see......he has experience washing dishes and mowing lawns and he wants more money..........Perfect ....He can be our marketing director.Salary starts at 90k,nice office,secretary and a car.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

I'm sure he's done more than that - I know he worked at a marina here in Alton... but didn't we all start out with our first jobs with something along those lines....?? (I know I did!)
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Seeker

I remember seeing an ad for the last couple years or so from an outfit that does aerial mapping for someone to accompany them during the shooting. Don't know if it was just for another pair of eyes in the cockpit or what. I do remember a pilot's license was not required. Ad was I believe in the CC Independent.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Mink Islander

Default How about Maine High Adventure, BSA

Ok, different lakes region so not entirely off-topic....

Depending on how "in to" the outdoors he is, he might want to consider a job at Maine High Adventure. http://www.mainehighadventure.org/staff.html. I know from the alumni assn that they have some openings still. Guides here take groups of scouts on canoeing trips in the lakes region of Maine (including whitewater and trips in the Allagash). You are really out there in the wilderness. Nightly radio call-ins is your only link back to civilization most of the time. Pay is ok though not great but when you live 10 days at a time on the water, there's nowhere to spend it anyway so you'll have more in your pocket when you head back to school than you'd expect! I did this for 3 years beginning my junior year in High School and still think it was the best job I ever had. Great way to build/expand leadership skills and add to your resume. More to life -- especially at his age -- than just trying to make $$ in the summer.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Phantom

Ever consider one of the many "camps" around the lake.

I'm sure the pay's not spectacular -- but hey, your outside!!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
offmycloud

Please try to have him avoid the restaurant business. You meet all types at those places. Try to have him get a healthy, outdoor job where he will meet nice people. Many are mentioned above.

When I was a kid up there I worked at a pizza joint and other restaurants and met and hung out with the wrong folks. I had a lot of fun but looking back as a parent myself now I would NOT want my kid doing that.

Most important for him to have nice friends, not partyers, don't just chase money.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud View Post
Please try to have him avoid the restaurant business. You meet all types at those places. Try to have him get a healthy, outdoor job where he will meet nice people. Many are mentioned above.

When I was a kid up there I worked at a pizza joint and other restaurants and met and hung out with the wrong folks. I had a lot of fun but looking back as a parent myself now I would NOT want my kid doing that.

Most important for him to have nice friends, not partyers, don't just chase money.

I debated replying to this post, but am compelled to do so (perhaps even against my own better judgement).

I obviously don't know where you worked as a youth, but I can tell you that there are many restaurants in this area where a kid can not only earn a decent wage, but will also be introduced to lots of nice other kids. The high school kids who work in our place are, for the most part, honor roll students. We do not tolerate drug users, and we provide a safe workplace for young people to learn about life, earning a living, and meet their counterparts from other countries as well. These kids are not partiers, some are athletes, some are involved in school activities such as theatre, math clubs, explorers and such. Many are both. All are nice kids with good heads on their shoulders. Such is the case in many restaurants around the region.

Please, don't slam an entire industry simply because you had the misfortune of connecting with the wrong crowd, at the wrong establishment. There are lots of us who are responsible business owners who provide a very different work experience for their young staff.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Argie's Wife

Pepper - point well taken and I understand where you're coming from. I think a lot of it has to do with the management of a place. I had a blast tending bar in Maine when I was 16 years old - but wouldn't let my kids do that when they were 16. Likewise, I had a blast waiting tables when I was in my 20's and living in Nashville, TN - and was happy doing it. I don't look down my nose at any vocation (that's legal, that is.)

I can't speak for the kid - he knows what he likes and what will work for him. I just want to see him happy and want him to have a good summer here at home.

Thanks again y'all for the great input!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
C Tucker

I worked summers in lakes region restaurants during my college years. Pay was decent and I met many terrific local kids. Best part was enjoying the days on the lake and then nights earning good tips from the dinner crowd.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #16
skprbob

Default summer jobs

The M/S Mount Washington is looking for deck crew for the Mount, Doris E, and Sophie C. Also food service & galley staff. 366-5531
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Avoid the restaurant business???? That's going to endear you to all of the people in the forum who happen to be in the hosptality business.
To many hundreds of kids each year in the lakes region,a summer restaurant job is their first experience in the workplace.The must learn good work habits as well as as punctuality,teamwork and customer relations.They make many new friends and often learn skills that carry them through college....where they can then get a "real" job according to your reasoning,offmycloud.
We also employ summer kids from eastern Europe and each year they form wonderful friendships with our local kids.......they go on beach trips together on days off and even an occasional summer romance They practice each other's language and learn a lot about life by being exposed to people from other walks of life.
I'm wondering what kind of work you would suggest for a kid without skills who are looking for their first summer job.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
twoplustwo

Unhappy oof

I'm just going to ditto Pepper and Sam. Otherwise I'll open my yapper and start spewing. It's too early to put you guys through that.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
isleofsand

Talking Summer Camps

As a recently graduated college student, I have to put in a good word about working at a summer camp on the lake. I have spent the past 11 years working at Sandy Island Family Camp. I can't wait to be back, as soon as the ice goes out and we can get to the island!
I love the camp life! I work outside everyday, even in the rain. Each day is a new experience, a new opportunity to make connections with people from all over. Some staff members have received job or internship positions from a connection they made with a camper or their family.
While the pay is not wonderful... I never had to worry about where to live, my meals, or entertainment. Some of my best days off have been spent driving some of our international staff through the White Mountains, showing off my home state. The staff each year become a family. I have brothers and sisters scattered across the US, and in several countries in Europe, with open invitations to visit.
There is always something to do, depending on your interests. Cow Island can hear the music floating across the lake on our dance nights! We have tennis courts, a softball field, basketball, waterskiing/tubing, kayaks and sailboats, just to name a few things.
Sandy Island is a wonderful place to spend the summer! I love my island! (My name is Sandi... and no, I am not named after the island)
isleofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #20
Bear Islander

I second the Mount Washington, Doris E., Sophie C. idea. An interesting experience and something different to put on a resume'.

I spent my teen summers in the kitchen of a children's camp. Great fun and a fantastic experience. I'm still friends with people I met there, and have been married to one of them for 32 years.

Local camps are often looking for help.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
offmycloud

Default Wow Sorry Everyone!

I didn't mean to blast the entire restaurant business. I worked up there in the early eighties and I think kids in general have improved since then - I think there is less partying and mayhem due to better parenting and schooling today.

All I know is that when I worked at local restaurants it was party and drug central. Every night after work was another blowout - lots of fun but I would never want my kids involved in that stuff, especially with driving involved.

That said, I will still not let kids work in the restaurant business. I want them outside getting exercise.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #22
SAMIAM

I understand your concern,offmycloud and I won't deny that there is some serious partying going on when you have a bunch of teenagers working together......in a restaurant,supermarket,summer camp or marina.Bottom line is...if you've raised your kids right,they'll know not to cross the line.Please don't think it's exclusive to the restaurant biz.Weve had some wild ones and also some who worked two jobs all summer and never even saw a party.Kids who do volunteer work,mentor in church youth groups.Sure,we've had a few bad apples,but that's going to happen anywhere.
I don't think you really meant to dump on the restaurant business......just wanted to give you my point of view.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #23
twoplustwo

Default fresh air rocks

Kids who are looking to get into some trouble will find it no matter where they work. I hear the kids working the grounds at a local golf course get the best weed, offmycloud. I don't think that's the fresh air you're looking for.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #24
offmycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Kids who are looking to get into some trouble will find it no matter where they work. I hear the kids working the grounds at a local golf course get the best weed, offmycloud. I don't think that's the fresh air you're looking for.
Too funny! I think I want that job at the local golf course! I just want my kids doing something that will enrich them, working at a camp, doing sports, etc. But you are right, bad apples can be anywhere. The people I worked with weren't bad, they just loved to party, etc. Important to learn a good work ethic, too. I think there's no perfect answer. Now, where's that golf course.....
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #25
Weirs guy

Meadowbrooks hiring as well for their concerts.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #26
Formula260SS

I have weekend work on the Island if anyone's kid are interested
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote