Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 05:16 AM   #101
ApS

Question Whither Laconia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I remember years ago seeing the deserted public housing in Bridgeport, Connecticut. They had stripped the buildings of everything and I mean everything to sell. All that was left was the brick. I was young and couldn't believe it. Now I can.
Things got so bad in St. Louis, MO, the city dynamited 33 "iconic" public housing units that had been started only 25 years earlier.

The same architect also designed the WTC twin towers.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #102
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

And that's what so frustrating. The government waste of our tax money. I am sorry to hear that Laconia is disappointing so many people. I always thought as cities go, Laconia isn't bad.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #103
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
In the spirit of inclusiveness, don't forget about civic welfare with all the do nothing government jobs.

I'd like my more educated brethren explain to me how corporate welfare works. Corporations obtain tax breaks and incentives to keep more of their own money. It's their money, not ours or the government's. A small price to pay in consideration that corporations provide jobs and feed our economy. What's the payback for social welfare, except more of it.
Like assistance to the poor, some government assistance to corporations makes sense, and some we might all agree is "corporate welfare" Some examples:

It probably made sense for the feds to bail out the car companies in 2008/9--they were crucial employers and as another poster noted, the government made a tidy profit.

But the feds probably went overboard with their (at the time necessary) assistance to the big banks, as witnessed by the banks' extraordinary profits over the past few years with few apparent trickle down effects or return to the Treasury (are there enough retail bank offices in your neighborhood?).

A great recent example of corporate welfare is the Energy Dept proposal (still under discussion) to force electric utilities to buy coal to hold in reserve.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-18-2018), noreast (08-18-2018), thinkxingu (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #104
The Real BigGuy

Most of the banks also paid off their bailouts with interest, but I agree re: their profits. Also amazes me that regulators have weakened or removed the restrictions that were put in place to prevent the problem in the future. A friend in banking told me you can get no down payment loans again.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-18-2018), thinkxingu (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #105
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Most of the banks also paid off their bailouts with interest, but I agree re: their profits. Also amazes me that regulators have weakened or removed the restrictions that were put in place to prevent the problem in the future. A friend in banking told me you can get no down payment loans again.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Right, The banks got a big gift recently in the form of deregulation while they continue to dick the public, see Wells fagro and many others, Also just like people on the public dole some company's are dirty criminals that are an over all - for the country even if they employ people, and others deserve a break for there excellent work/products/community leadership that benefits society. I've voted libertarian most of my life but even I understand we have to build roads and bridges sooner rather than later, Theses company's have to foot the bill fairly along with the people.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-18-2018), thinkxingu (08-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #106
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Back to summer help...

Back to summer help...

This weekend will be the last weekend for The Sandy Point Restaurant in Alton Bay to be open. Most of the help has gone back to school.

Pop's Clam Shell will be closed Mon through Thurs this coming week, due to most of the staff back to school. They will open on Fri for Labor Day Weekend, and then closed for the season.

Dave
Old 08-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #107
rick35

Now that we're back on summer help I'll relate another positive experience. We were at the Weathervane at the Weirs last week and we had another excellent visiting server. She spoke English perfectly but with an accent. When asked where she is from she answered Transylvania. How cool is that! I had to google it but that's in Romania. That's two excellent servers from Romania. And their school year starts in October so they'll be here after all of our locals have gone back to school.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #108
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Back to summer help...

This weekend will be the last weekend for The Sandy Point Restaurant in Alton Bay to be open. Most of the help has gone back to school.

Pop's Clam Shell will be closed Mon through Thurs this coming week, due to most of the staff back to school. They will open on Fri for Labor Day Weekend, and then closed for the season.

Dave
Glad you posted that. We were going this week to beat the crowd of Labor Day Weekend. Guess not.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #109
upthesaukee

Default Still beat the crowds

Quote:
Glad you posted that. We were going this week to beat the crowd of Labor Day Weekend. Guess not.
Beat the crowds and come over next Friday. Pop's opens at 1130. Have a great lunch, them maybe a nice round of mini -golf followed by ice cream at Stillwell's.

It's an Alton Bay kind of day. 😉

Dave
Old 08-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #110
tis

Quote:
Beat the crowds and come over next Friday. Pop's opens at 1130. Have a great lunch, them maybe a nice round of mini -golf followed by ice cream at Stillwell's.

It's an Alton Bay kind of day. 😉

Dave
We might do that. Friday might not be too busy. WE never go out on weekends any more. It's too busy. We like both Shibley's too. Have never tried Dockside, but I hear it's good. We went once and they weren't open and never got back. Alton Bay kind of day huh?
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #111
gravy boat

Default Dockside

Quote:
We might do that. Friday might not be too busy. WE never go out on weekends any more. It's too busy. We like both Shibley's too. Have never tried Dockside, but I hear it's good. We went once and they weren't open and never got back. Alton Bay kind of day huh?
Believe hours are still Thurs- Sunday. We always go before 5 pm when open to beat the crowds (we shoot for 430-445 pm).
Yet to be disappointed.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:23 AM   #112
tis

Up said they are closed through Thurs next week, gravy.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #113
upthesaukee

Default I think Dockside

Quote:
Up said they are closed through Thurs next week, gravy.
Tis, I think he/ she was talking about the Dockside restaurant. Dockside was in the post subject.

Dave
Old 08-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #114
garysanfran

Default Unemployment and welfare...

I guess there is no one on unemployment comp. or welfare that is able to work in NH?

Filling a job should be mandatory, before getting on tax payer subsidies.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #115
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I guess there is no one on unemployment comp. or welfare that is able to work in NH?

Filling a job should be mandatory, before getting on tax payer subsidies.
I agree. It is next to impossible to get help in NH. There should be no one on the dole unless they are sick or disabled. We had three open positions and have had the hardest time filling them. I think we are finally there but it took a LONG time! Some wonder why they should work when they can get freebies. But back on topic, I certainly sympathize with the restaurants.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #116
tis

Quote:
Tis, I think he/ she was talking about the Dockside restaurant. Dockside was in the post subject.

Dave
You mean gravy boat was talking about Dockside? So Pops IS closed until Fri.?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #117
upthesaukee

Quote:
You mean gravy boat was talking about Dockside? So Pops IS closed until Fri.?
Yes. Pop's closed until Friday.

Dave
Old 08-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #118
tis

Quote:
Yes. Pop's closed until Friday.

Dave
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Sorry if I was a little numb.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #119
rick35

Governor Sununu is in the news proposing that NH schools start after Labor Day. There would be a potential for economic boost to the hospitality industry by having students available to work. While I'm sure some businesses would benefit from having high school students available to work I have to think the majority of the jobs are for college age students and I don't think there's a chance of changing college start dates. School officials have already dismissed that idea as that would create problems with snow days. Its a good thought but I don't think Sununu spent enough time to understand the issues before making his comments.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #120
8gv

I see a mix of college and high school age employees.

When I owned a business that mix was also part of my crew.

While it is true that the college kids will still be going back to school before Labor Day, having some high school kids avilable should help many businesses.

If there was a choice of getting them earlier in the season or having them stay up until Labor Day I would choose the latter.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #121
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I see a mix of college and high school age employees.

When I owned a business that mix was also part of my crew.

While it is true that the college kids will still be going back to school before Labor Day, having some high school kids avilable should help many businesses.

If there was a choice of getting them earlier in the season or having them stay up until Labor Day I would choose the latter.
True! I Was speaking to the gas pump “attendant” while filling up the other day at my marina. I hadn’t seen this older guy before as it was all youngsters doing the job. I asked where the regulars were and he said “they all left last week to go back to school”
In addition he said that they were getting some high school helpers to fill in for the remainder of the season.
Just another reminder of how quickly our boating season slips away! Pun intended!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote