Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
TreasureHunter

Default Is the lake still safe for snowmobiling?

Anyone get out on the Lake this weekend snowmobiling? Is it still safe? Do you think it will be safe next weekend? We're hoping to get out one more time, but we're not sure when it really becomes unsafe!

Thanks - Treasure Islanders
TreasureHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Diamond Isle

Default Still safe

Treasure Hunter:
Went out to Diamond Island on Friday and we still had 24" of solid ice. Even the shore points are solid!
Diamond Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Things will change quickly

On Saturday, 3/12, the snomo conditions were as good at they get on the lake. Plenty of new snow. Very solid ice. No slush. Areas that rarely freeze were almost frozen. No open water by the rocks that are heated by the March sun. Amazing for this time of year. However - the new snow and the warm temperatures this week will create slush. You can bog down in that and get your snomo stuck - even though the ice is safe. With temperatures above freezing this week, the rocks will start melting the ice around them. I was SO wrong in guessing ice-out in the middle of April!!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
Island Girl

Default Slush

Sunday March 13th we went from W. Alton to Alton Bay to the Varney's to Wolfeboro Bay to Jockey Cove, across the road to Winter Harbor, across the broads. Then to Smalls Cove, Ellacoya around Diamond, around Rattlesnake.

The machines worked hard to get through the heavy snow. There was slush and deep slush in many places, and solid in others. Minge Cove was very slushy as was Wolfeboro Bay. I agree with Lakegeezer, the warm temps this week will create more slush. I am not an expert on the subject but am told the warm, high sunny days could make a real mess out there.

Despite the heavy snow and some slush today was a glorious day out there and probably my last of the season. There were lots of soft bumps and it was like riding the waves in the summer. What a way to end the snowmobiling season!

We did miss the other BOS members today.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Vision2000

Default Ice is SOLID but changing!

I spent the afternoon snowmobiling on the trails west of Alton (Powder Hill Trails) and on the lake, out to RattleSnake Island & Wolfeboro Bay & Alton Bay. The trails were very good for riding, and so was the open areas of the lake. However, around the islands the ice is changing color, lots of standing water and some slush on the ice. Still safe for sledding, if you are careful, but if the warm weather persists, the ice will continue to change very quickly. There are still a few Bob Houses on the ice, but several of them look like they were sinking.... in large pools of water. We just might get one more weekend of safe ice, on Easter, and perhas some trail riding in as well.

We would like to hear from others who rode this weekend.

Thanks!
Vision2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links