Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
lakershaker

Question Snowmobile suggestions??

Hello all,
My family is thinking that we should spend some time at the lake over the winter. To do this on a regular basis, we will need to look at getting a sled or 2, but I really have no idea where to begin. We don't need high speed, but would look for comfort and utility - sort of an SUV of snowmobiles. If anyone has some good ideas, I am all ears. Would consider looking at new or used if it/they are in good shape. Also, as a sidebar, is it a good idea to look at used snowmobiles, or do they get pretty beaten up? Thanks in advance for any help!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
chipj29

Default New vs Used

I think your sidebar question is more important than your original question, and it may even answer it, so I will start there. There are many reasons to consider used, and many reasons to consider new, but what it comes down to is what is important to you. First off let me state that my first sled was used, and I bought a new one after 2 seasons. The reason I bought used was that it was much cheaper than buying new, I was lucky and found the exact sled I was looking for at the time. Also, with a used sled, if you don't like it you won't lose a ton of money if you resell it. If you do buy used, I would look for a more recent model, say within 3 years old. As far as miles, it depends what the sled is used for. It is kind of like buying a used car, was it used only on Sundays by a little old lady going to church, or was it a young kid who tore up the streets in it? You may find a sled with 10k miles, and was only used up north and Canada (similar to highway miles). Or you may find a low mileage sled, only used on local trails, but is a bit beat up. The condition of a sled will speak volumes to how it was used. If the skis and track are in good shape, that tells a lot. If the sled itself is beat up looking, that tells a lot. You could try this link: http://users.metro2000.net/~rmmc/usedguide.html It is an excellent used snowmobile buyers guide.

Now if you wanted to go new, of course all those questions are answered. You get a nice sled with 0 miles, and you are the only rider. You get a warranty and strong dealer support as well. However, you are paying for the depreciation, which is pretty steep in the first couple of years. Also insurance would be higher.

So used or new? Good question, but only you can answer it.

Now to answer the sled question, it sounds to me like you would want a 2-up (2 person) sled for your needs. They are comfy, smooth ride, and can meet many needs. I am biased towards Ski-Doo, because that is the brand I have owned, and currently own. But I think all 4 manufacturers put out some excellent sleds, and each one has a few choices of 2-up sleds. Ask your friends about brands, and what they like. You will get many biased answers, because sled owners are fiercly brand loyal. Go into a dealer for each brand, and get a feel for how you would be treated...after the sale. Good service is very important. The dealer may try to talk you into getting a sled with 800cc or bigger. I don't think you would need it, and insurance for anything over 600cc is much higher in many cases. I have a 600cc, and it works perfect for me and my needs. I wouldn't go lower than 500cc.

I hope this info has helped. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or email.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
jetskier

Default More Suggestions

I would agree that the best fit would be for you to consider a 2 person touring sled. This time of year the snowmobile publications provide buyers guides, so you might be able to get some good information from them.

I have an Arctic Cat T660-Turbo Touring. It is a very comfortable and fast ride. the new Arctic Cat actually has built in seat warmers, cd player and 2 way radio.

As you make your decision, I would encourage you to think about a 4 stroke. They have been on the market a few years and they are much smoother, quieter and cleaner.

Hope this helps!

jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
Island Girl

Default No fun on the back seat

There are several disadvantages to a 2-up.. (I have one) The person on the back usually does not have that much fun. If you do not share the driving with the person on the back then he or she might not think sledding is fun. If you buy two 2-up sleds so the kids can ride in the back, that is a different story.

A 2-up is fine if you are just using it to get to an island camp in the winter.

A new sledder might not want to have another person on the back on trails. Cornering is much more difficult and the sled may slide out into a tree..

I would suggest going away for a weekend where you can rent sleds and try them out. You may find you need 1,2 or more depending on your enthusiasm for the sport or find out your mate just hates it. This way you have not invested in something you will have to sell and lose money.

I just love snowmobiling, and hate being on the back. I share the driving with my guest rider so neither of us has the burden of being on back.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
jetskier

Default More Stuff

I agree that you need to determine what your riding needs are. I actually like the touring sled 1 up...it is very smooth and stable and has more of a soft ride. I also have a Ski-Doo MXV Rev-800 and that is like a sport bike on snow. You have to stay on top of it all the time or it will get you into trouble.

The other thing to think about is whether you want to stud the sled. I have both of mine studded so I can go out on the ice. On the lake, studs let you stop and provide traction; however, the trail performance is a bit different. Some people like to have the rear slide a bit more. Here are some of the sites for your reading entertainment:

http://www.arcticcat.com/snowmobiles...sp?y=106&c=109
http://www.ski-doo.com/en-US/Snowmobiles/2006/
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...06/0/home.aspx
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...s/Performance/

Here is a buyer's guide:

http://www.amsnow.com/sno/default.aspx?c=bg&id=21

When you get to the point that you are finalizing your selection, try to find someone that owns one. Ideally, try to ride it first.

jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
lakershaker

Default Thanks!

Wow, thanks everyone for the great replies. Will give me some fun things to look at over the next few weekends after the boat comes out.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
JTA

Default Connecticut?

I notice that you are from CT (Farmington?). CT is a great place to buy a used sled as there are quite a few folks that buy and then don't like to spend the travel time to do much snowmobiling. If you take your time, you could probably find a complete used low-mileage package (two sleds and a trailer) for the price of one new 2-up sled.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default If you're still looking for sleds...

Due to health issues I'm giving up the sport of snowmobiling. I have two sleds (1 is a two up touring and the other is a Indy Lite) and the trailer for sale. Every thing is in great condition with low miles (we're fair weather riders). Send me an email and I'll give you the details.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 10-05-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
ACutAbove

post them here.http://p087.ezboard.com/bnhsleding
you might have better luck selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers
Due to health issues I'm giving up the sport of snowmobiling. I have two sleds (1 is a two up touring and the other is a Indy Lite) and the trailer for sale. Every thing is in great condition with low miles (we're fair weather riders). Send me an email and I'll give you the details.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #10
KevinPlante

I think Polaris makes the best sleds. New/used depends on you. The value will drop quite a bit the first few years. If you can afford to get a new one, I would. Also, it is a good idea to buy where you ride. If you need service, it won't be at home. You will get taken care of much better for short notice, last minute problems if you bought the sled there. I personally wouldn't want to ride without studs - this is something to look into when you are getting ready to buy. If you will be on the lake riding, stop into HK Powersports which is across the street from the Burger King on Paugus Bay. Go in and look around and ask questions. You can learn a lot that way.
KevinPlante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
lakershaker

Default Thanks

Thank you everyone for the great information. A forum member put us in touch with a neighbor who was selling a late model Arctic Cat 2-up. We will use that this winter, then maybe supplement it with another sled for next year.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
SOMEONEGOTCHA

Default To Thanks

Happy for you. That is the best way to obtain one if at all possible. That way you have some idea how the machine has been treated and if it has been taken care of. Usually one has to pay a bit more for a well maintained machine, but I believe it is well worth it. Have fun and be safe.