Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
KBoater

Question Bob House

Last night I was at a party with a group from the mid west. They had never heard of a BOB House. This is from Minnesota and Michigan folks and call it a "fish house". So, is Bob House a NH, or New England name? Where did the name come from? I know that is what I always called them
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

When I first saw your post, I thought "that's what happens when you don't get the shack off the ice in time...it becomes a bob house". So I searched google for "bobhouse" and got the following on answers.com :

bobhouse
A bobhouse or ice shanty is a small, portable shed placed on a frozen lake to provide shelter during ice fishing. They can be as cheap as a plastic tarp draped over a frame of two-by-fours, or as expensive as a small RV or recreational vehicle.

In northern climates, bobhouses are the center of a large, often humorous, folklore. Fishermen often decorate their bobhouses in humorous ways (toilets are a popular joke addition), while others studiously work on ways to make their bobhouses more comfortable and efficient. Much of the folklore involves the inherent danger of erecting a structure atop a frozen pond. In New England, the saying goes that every pond and lake has at least one bobhouse on the bottom (at least one snowmobile, too).

Many northern communities have developed bodies of laws about the operation of bobhouses - frequently including dates by which they must be removed, even if the ice can still hold them.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Bobhouse".

The wikipedia article didn't give any further info., but I thought the line about at least one on the bottom was kinda neat!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
KBoater

Default Thanks

Thanks upthesaukee.
Your info. helped me prove that it in fact is a real name. I emailed it on to my disbelieving friends.
I thought that maybe it was named after the "bob" used at the end of a fishing line.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote