Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Formula260SS

Default Cheap Pontoon Flooring

So I'm giving the old Battle Barge (stripped down 24' pontoon work boat) some love. The carpet was rather disgusting so that's gone, it has 3/4 HDPE deck we put in like 15 years ago - highly recommended for anyone re-decking a pontoon.

Anyway I'm thinking of using some type of rubber mat flooring, something easy to clean that doesn't grow mold and can take some abuse. I've found some options but I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
So I'm giving the old Battle Barge (stripped down 24' pontoon work boat) some love. The carpet was rather disgusting so that's gone, it has 3/4 HDPE deck we put in like 15 years ago - highly recommended for anyone re-decking a pontoon.

Anyway I'm thinking of using some type of rubber mat flooring, something easy to clean that doesn't grow mold and can take some abuse. I've found some options but I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance
Couple things I can think of...

#1. Horse stall mats. They are cheap and tough as nails. Available at any Agway or tractor supply. Only downside is they are heavy and not sure what size they come in. Most of the ones I have seen are 4’ x 6’ x 3/4” You may have to butt a few of them together.

#2. Your best option but definitely more expensive is a garage mat. I just bought a couple for my garage at Sam’s Club for $489.00 each. They are 10’ x 24’ They also sell a 7 1/2’ x 17’ for $249.00 if that would fit your floor. https://www.samsclub.com/p/g-floor-1...=login-success

Dan
Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
salty dog

Default Vinyl?

My wife and I are in the process/still finalizing a deal, trading in our '06 Bayliner BR for a 2012 Xcursion X23-C.The size is good (tritoon also) and I especially like that it is super clean. One of my favorite features is rubber (vinyl?) floor of matching interior color; no snap-on carpet or grass weave. Perhaps not quite as luxurious but I love the practicality. Grandkids, dogs, food, spilled drinks, and just general wear. I included two photos although they are low resolution which makes it is hard to see the texture, small pebble grain. Possibly a flooring store? ishoot's idea is also good; that would be as tough as nails. I guess it depends on the look and use you want. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Their description calls it "The perfect solution for worn out boat carpet or vinyl." www.Overtons.com has a page with a big number of different boat vinyl floor replacements for the do-it-yourselfer.

Do a search for 'vinyl foor' at Overton's. Reg price 59.99 ...... now 56.99/ 8.5' x per running foot, 3 feet minimum, 1/4" thick, so it is actually very expensive ..... a super steal of a deal three dollar reduction ....... ha-ha-ha!

So, what's the bottom line price here?

For something like 19.95, Rand's Hardware in Plymouth has el cheapo outdoor carpet, 8x10, in about five colors?

I need a good floor project so think I'll redo the boat floor, just for sometime to pass the time of day ........ yawn!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Couple things I can think of...

#1. Horse stall mats. They are cheap and tough as nails. Available at any Agway or tractor supply. Only downside is they are heavy and not sure what size they come in. Most of the ones I have seen are 4’ x 6’ x 3/4” You may have to butt a few of them together.

#2. Your best option but definitely more expensive is a garage mat. I just bought a couple for my garage at Sam’s Club for $489.00 each. They are 10’ x 24’ They also sell a 7 1/2’ x 17’ for $249.00 if that would fit your floor. https://www.samsclub.com/p/g-floor-1...=login-success

Dan
Dan, how do the garage mats hold up to jacks, etc? I have a Morton building behind my house that I use for working on and storing motorcycles, but I also will work on cars in there as well. The building is 24X30, so 3 of those mats would cover the floor nicely. It is sealed concrete now, but would like a more finished look as the walls and ceiling are finished with rough sawn and pickled pine respectively.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Dan, how do the garage mats hold up to jacks, etc? I have a Morton building behind my house that I use for working on and storing motorcycles, but I also will work on cars in there as well. The building is 24X30, so 3 of those mats would cover the floor nicely. It is sealed concrete now, but would like a more finished look as the walls and ceiling are finished with rough sawn and pickled pine respectively.
Hi Vita;

I have not received the mats yet, still waiting for them to arrive. The mats are supposedly "floor jack certified" whatever that means! That question was also asked of the manufacturer in a Home Depot review and here is their response... "The G-Floor Diamond Tread, Coin and Small Coin patterns would all work with a floor jack. Please note that jack stands with sharp edges could cause damage to the flooring. Placing the jack stands on a solid piece of wood will keep the jack stand from cutting into the flooring."

The mats are from the same manufacturer and same material as commercial stair treads which I do have at my business. The stuff is tough as nails!! I think they would be perfect for what you want to do!

Dan
Old 10-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Formula260SS

Quote:
Hi Vita;

I have not received the mats yet, still waiting for them to arrive. The mats are supposedly "floor jack certified" whatever that means! That question was also asked of the manufacturer in a Home Depot review and here is their response... "The G-Floor Diamond Tread, Coin and Small Coin patterns would all work with a floor jack. Please note that jack stands with sharp edges could cause damage to the flooring. Placing the jack stands on a solid piece of wood will keep the jack stand from cutting into the flooring."

The mats are from the same manufacturer and same material as commercial stair treads which I do have at my business. The stuff is tough as nails!! I think they would be perfect for what you want to do!

Dan
Thanks for the reply's

I found this stuff last night and the price point is decent. I like it in cause it's the width of the deck and comes in different length's so I can lay it down in one piece.

https://www.recpro.com/8-6-diamond-p...oring-in-gray/
Old 10-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's

I found this stuff last night and the price point is decent. I like it in cause it's the width of the deck and comes in different length's so I can lay it down in one piece.

If they have it in a gray or any other light color I would definitely get that as all that black rubber / polyvinyl stuff gets hotter than hell in the sun!

Good luck with your project!!

Dan
Old 10-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
Bear Guy

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's

Same website also has a marine-grade offering. Has similar price point, same wide width, and also available in different lengths. Has benefit of being designed for marine use, and is tan or gray (to the comment about absorbing heat).
https://www.recpro.com/recpro-8-6-ex...ooring-50-mil/
Bear Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
Same website also has a marine-grade offering. Has similar price point, same wide width, and also available in different lengths. Has benefit of being designed for marine use, and is tan or gray (to the comment about absorbing heat).
https://www.recpro.com/recpro-8-6-ex...ooring-50-mil/
I saw that material as well, Dan makes a good point about it getting hot but the other stuff looks more industrious. It's the Battle Barge - it has an image to uphold....lol

Typically we use it spring / fall and pull it out in the summer so it's not getting used on really hot days but certainly don't want the sun to destroy it either. I emailed them about the application and the reply was it's OK. Still thinking / looking - Thanks
Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Cal Coon

Quote:
Hi Vita;

Dan
You can always invest in a pair of Snap On jack stands. They have "rolled" edges to prevent sinking into hot pavement, or "cutting" a rubber, or other type of flooring. That's why they are the best!! They think of everything, and practically give their stuff away for what they charge...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote