Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Just Sold

Angry Downings Landing - Ugh!!!!

I was Alton Bay briefly today and what I saw at the Downings Landing property was disgusting. All the docks are in horrible repair and even the one used where you launch looks ugly and dangerous and my observation is it has the potential to injure someone. The dock closer to the bridge has 2 collapsed areas. This is no way to introduce visitors to Lake Winnipesaukee and NH hospitality. Does anyone know if F&G has a plan in place for this area?
Old 05-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Lakeboater

Default Ramp

I agree about the docks. The ramp is also tough from all the power loading that goes on there. We were in the parking lot the other day and saw where someone had left a case of empty beer bottles. I don't understand why people can't "pack it out".
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:30 AM   #3
wynndog

Default pitty

I guess Alton has more money than the State because Roberts Cove little beach was redone very nice. Guess the State will have to raise boat registration, fishing licenses & give out more fines. It was bad last year when I used it, it didn't happen because of the winter.
Wynn
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
polarisman14

I was there yesterday and have to agree. I have a small boat (under 14') and have to get the trailer very close to the dock to retrieve the boat easily. The power loading pushed so much sand against the dock that it puts the trailer at a pretty heavy angle and makes that quite a task. The docks appear to be structurally sound, just don't look very good. It'd be nice if the launch was actually wide enough to put 2 boats in at the same time, too, rather than just having one tied up and alternating. I suppose you could attempt two smaller boat launches at the same time but the parking lot layout makes getting the trailer into position for 2 people at the same time difficult.

But, it's free.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
fatlazyless

If you want to see a real nice state boat launch suggest you trailer it to the Squam River that connects Big and Little Squam lakes in Holderness .... about ten minutes from Rt 93-exit 24 in Ashland .... for a super-duper boating, fishing experience.... and the fishing world's greatest freebie state launch ever-ever-ever!

Sorry, no jetskis allowed on Squam Lake .....boo-hoo!

Drove past last Friday at 5:30-am and there's four bass boats in the water at the Squam state launch getting ready to head out.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Winnisquam boat launch

Check out the public ramp in back of Boulia-Gorrell lumber yard. First class boat ramp!
Airedale1 (05-22-2015), polarisman14 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Check out the public ramp in back of Boulia-Gorrell lumber yard. First class boat ramp!
.... and Lake Winnisquam is the state's largest lake with no speed limits .... weeeooooooo......hubba!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

It is extremely easy to put a boat in at Lee's Mill's in Moultonborough. It is free and there is plenty of parking.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Dave M

Default Jetskis on Squam

Unless they have changed the law within the last year, jetskis can be used on Squam. They just have to be 13' long(considered a boat). Usually the
jetskis will have seating for three. Speed limit 40mph.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Unless they have changed the law within the last year, jetskis can be used on Squam. They just have to be 13' long(considered a boat). Usually the
jetskis will have seating for three. Speed limit 40mph.

Dave M
So, one can only wonder why a jetski or pwc, as described above, is legally considered to be a boat on a state-wide basis, as opposed to a personal watercraft ..... and it definitely has a lot to do with the NH Marine Trades Assoc, a political lobby group, and the very Republican controlled legislature at the time ... way back when the law was created and passed ...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
Greene's Basin Girl

Other boats that are 13' and under can be on Squam so why not a PWC. I think PWC owner's get a bad rap because of a few bad apples. Many of us drive PWC's as responsibly as we drive our larger boats. I may be out in my PWC or out in my 24' pontoon boat.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (05-20-2015), wynndog (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

New Hampshire law defines a “ski craft” as any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person.

Ski craft can and are banned on many lakes. A 3 person or more PWC is not a ski craft and is considered a boat in NH. These cannot be banned on any lake over 75 acres.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
fatlazyless

When the state legislature voted to redefine 3-seater pwc's as boats, pwc's all had two-stroke engines and were very noisy and probably smelly too, which is what helped to get them banned from some different lakes and ponds around the state. Now, with 4-stroke engines, they are a lot quieter and no more very smelly burnt 2-stroke oil.

Probably, the legislature via political contributions from the Marine Trades Assoc to state senators and state reps wanted to motivate pwc sales by over-ruling the banning of 3-seater pwc's by classifying them to be a boat and not a pwc.

Similarly, for some small campaign contributions, the republican state legislators will be happy to pass a law declaring that a mallard duck is legally a canada goose ...... understand that!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
ursa minor

How did a thread on the conditions at Downing's Landing become a discussion on the definition of a PWC and where they're allowed?

When the subject of Downing's Landing being purchased by the state was first brought up a year or so ago, I remember the common concern going forward was whether the facility could be kept in good condition. There's a need for good launch access all around the lake, it's a shame that a way can't be found to maintain these facilities.
wynndog (05-20-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
fatlazyless

One method for both local towns, and the State of NH to collect launch fees at boat launch ramps without having a collection person present is to use honor system, collection boxes similar to what the U S Forest Service uses at hiking trails, and camp grounds throughout the White Mountain National Forest. They are very sturdy steel deposit boxes that are set in concrete into the ground.

To park your car at a hiking trail parking area, it costs either $3/day at the collection box, or $20/year with a wind shield sticker. Similarly, the launch ramps could be kept in good use repair, and maintained, and paying a small amount would help the users to appreciate the launch facility for what it is, and make everybody pay, with no exceptions.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #16
NH_boater

This was utterly predictable. It will get a lot worse. What a shame on what was a nice launch run by great people.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #17
fatlazyless

NH Fish & Game paid something like one million dollars to purchase Downing's and agreed to keep the name, Downing's, on it forever. NH Fish and Game is just a wee bit low on the dough at this time, so it's super-duper that they were even able to make this Downing's purchase so maybe a three dollar launching fee and a deposit box could be set up there on a temporary basis for boat launchers who wish to make a boat launch donation that would pay for the docks repair and maintenance.

You know, when you go to a lumber yard to get a piece of pressure treated lumber to repair a broken dock, the lumber yard wants to be paid for it, so it takes revenue to maintain the docks, and paying three dollars on a voluntary basis by boat launchers is sort of like passing the collection box on Sunday morning ....probably, many would volunteer the three bucks knowing it was going to the boat launch dock repair.

For just three bucks .... if everyone using the dock volunteered the donation ... it works very good for the hiking trails in the White Mountain National Forest for maintaining the trails, signs, parking lots, volunteer programs, and security police .... everyone pays a small amount and the money gets stretched to good use for doing what's needed to maintain the boat launch facility.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
polarisman14

I would be all about that. $3 or $20 for the season, heck yes. $20 every time? Nah. At that point I'd hang on to my cash and put that toward a monthly payment on a boat and just go to free launch ramps across the state.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
NH Fish & Game paid something like one million dollars to purchase Downing's and agreed to keep the name, Downing's, on it forever. NH Fish and Game is just a wee bit low on the dough at this time, so it's super-duper that they were even able to make this Downing's purchase so maybe a three dollar launching fee and a deposit box could be set up there on a temporary basis for boat launchers who wish to make a boat launch donation that would pay for the docks repair and maintenance.

You know, when you go to a lumber yard to get a piece of pressure treated lumber to repair a broken dock, the lumber yard wants to be paid for it, so it takes revenue to maintain the docks, and paying three dollars on a voluntary basis by boat launchers is sort of like passing the collection box on Sunday morning ....probably, many would volunteer the three bucks knowing it was going to the boat launch dock repair.

For just three bucks .... if everyone using the dock volunteered the donation ... it works very good for the hiking trails in the White Mountain National Forest for maintaining the trails, signs, parking lots, volunteer programs, and security police .... everyone pays a small amount and the money gets stretched to good use for doing what's needed to maintain the boat launch facility.
Less, why do WE always have to pay more? What about all the taxes and fees that we already pay? When is enough, enough? If the State of NH (and its Democrat Governor) are not responsible enough to maintain State property within the current budget, then they should sell the property and get out of the real estate business. I'm sick and tired of listening to people bitch and complain that the State (or every other government entity in the country) does not have enough money. They could cut every department budget (and workforce) by 10% and nobody would even notice. They want more money to fix Downing's Landing? Good, then let them cut it from something else instead of imposing more fees and taxes. I have one message for you and the rest of the politicians: STAY AWAY FROM MY WALLET!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Crusty (05-24-2015), Grandpa Redneck (05-22-2015), wifi (05-22-2015), wynndog (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #20
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Less, why do WE always have to pay more? What about all the taxes and fees that we already pay? When is enough, enough? If the State of NH (and its Democrat Governor) are not responsible enough to maintain State property within the current budget, then they should sell the property and get out of the real estate business. I'm sick and tired of listening to people bitch and complain that the State (or every other government entity in the country) does not have enough money. They could cut every department budget (and workforce) by 10% and nobody would even notice. They want more money to fix Downing's Landing? Good, then let them cut it from something else instead of imposing more fees and taxes. I have one message for you and the rest of the politicians: STAY AWAY FROM MY WALLET!
Seaplane Pilot, while I certainly agree with your displeasure regarding the insatiable appetite of government in it's quest for revenue; I fail to see why you view the suggestion by fatlazyless that we should consider making a voluntary contribution, as an assault on your wallet.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Seaplane Pilot, while I certainly agree with your displeasure regarding the insatiable appetite of government in it's quest for revenue; I fail to see why you view the suggestion by fatlazyless that we should consider making a voluntary contribution, as an assault on your wallet.
Then you should review the history of FLL's posts. Always complaining that the "republicans" are the problem, and are the party that always says NO. He's right, I'm a republican, and I'm saying NO!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
If the State of NH (and its Democrat Governor) are not responsible enough to maintain State property within the current budget, then they should sell the property and get out of the real estate business.STAY AWAY FROM MY WALLET!
This is a ridiculously scary thought--can you imagine what America would be like if private entities were allowed to own everything? No state parks, public beaches, public launches, etc. It'd be horrible.

Though I do agree that government doesn't always do the best job with finances.
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
Happy Gourmand

Not sure what this has to do with DEMOCRATS or REPUBLICANS, and/or how they affect Downing's Landing.
All I have to say is, if you want to play, you have to pay. How you pay (taxes or directly) is a whole other matter.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #24
AC2717

GET BACK ON TOPIC