Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #101
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Interesting graphic R2B. I think a boat launch there will be problematic with the current. Doable, just not for everyone.
I had a place on Lucerne Ave. with a nice dock. Getting to the dock from the lake was a huge challenge whenever there was heavy boat traffic exiting the channel since they were the stand on vessel and I was the vessel that had to yield. I agree, a boat ramp there would be a mess and yes there are major boulders in that area.

I never said they had a good plan. I just pointed out there was a plan. They resolved the issue with "malfunction junction" so that was a plus and it was part of the plan. My opinion is the area needs a significant hotel to start any real step forward. I see it is part of the plan, but I do not see any funding to entice a major hotel into the Weirs. So, I am not confident the plan is realistic. Looks more like a concept than a solid plan.

I am very impressed with Faro, something done with private funding, so there is some hope.

We sold our place on Lucerne Ave. I got tired of waiting for any real improvement. We really miss the lake and we now visit by taking a room or suite at either Naswa or Church Landing. This is not anywhere as good as owning, but we still get our time at the lake.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #102
MGWillia

Default Regular Drive Throughs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I disagree, I think Bike Week is like welfare or life support for the area. It encourages dependance on something that isn't really scalable or practical. As long as bike week continues to dominate the area we will have property owners with little motivation to create viable year-round businesses that keep the area attractive in general.
Before I even saw this thread (haven't been on in a while) I was saying this just the other day. As we drive through it seems like more and more of the surrounding area seems to being turned into parking/vending area. it really looks kind of desolate (at least during non bike week). Is it possible that the biggest event of the year is part of the problem for attracting folks the rest fo the time? Not sure.
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #103
MGWillia

Default Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
There is a plan. Here is a summary graphic.

http://www.cityoflaconianh.org/uploa...n%20Poster.pdf

R2B
Very interesting plan. What's the age on it? Is it still moving forward? I'm personally excited for the possible performance space. Hope to hear something about it.
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #104
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Very interesting plan. What's the age on it? Is it still moving forward? I'm personally excited for the possible performance space. Hope to hear something about it.
The date on the plan is 2007 so it was done 9 years ago and not much has happened since.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #105
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Before I even saw this thread (haven't been on in a while) I was saying this just the other day. As we drive through it seems like more and more of the surrounding area seems to being turned into parking/vending area. it really looks kind of desolate (at least during non bike week). Is it possible that the biggest event of the year is part of the problem for attracting folks the rest fo the time? Not sure.
Think you have a good understanding of the problem . Bike week is no longer an asset to the area . Every summer now starts with this worn out , honky tonk event that sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season and gives none of the business owners any reason to spruce up before this carnival comes to town.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
pondguy (04-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #106
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Think you have a good understanding of the problem . Bike week is no longer an asset to the area . Every summer now starts with this worn out , honky tonk event that sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season and gives none of the business owners any reason to spruce up before this carnival comes to town.
Bike week i s a huge asset to the entire state. Laconia is no longer the focus of bike week. That was caused by an overbearing police presence and worn out vendors. Once riders realized they could have a great time in Conway, Meredith, and the Mt Washington valley, they use tbe Weirs as a one day destination.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
noreast (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #107
nhcatrider

Very true. I have an upscale rental condo in the North Conway area and it has rented out during bike week for the past 5 years to bikers. Never had a problem that week at all, they leave the place cleaner than they found it.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #108
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Bike week makes or breaks the summer for most business in the Weirs area. It's an unfortunate fact. The revenue from those 10 days sets the tone for the rest of the season.
The rally has huge problems but they are making an effort this year to try and turn things around. Laconiafest is a good first step toward that.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #109
Ms Molly McKever

Default Downings landing

All that is keeping that garbage out of the lake is that little orange fence ??? No e.p.a in alton. Try that at your water front.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #110
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure how you could claim it "sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season". Most Bike Week visitors are not the boaters and vacationing families that dominate the rest of the tourist season and it has no affect on them at all.

Without Bike Week, and the revenue it generates, many business owners would not have the revenue to "spruce up" at all. The amount of income for the businesses and the entire state is a tremendous boost for the state and local economy. Most Laconia area business owners are not making a killing, and many are just barely making a living. I think you would be surprised to find out how many area restaurants have to use their credit lines every winter to survive with the hope that the tourist season will generate enough revenue to pay it off. Taking one more opportunity to make money away from area businesses would be a very poor move.

Yes, there are large areas of the Weirs that could be improved or developed but once again it comes back to the substantial investment needed with the hope that the 10 week season will make it a financial success. I don't see many people willing to take that risk.

As others have said, the over policing and many other factors have led to the decline in Bike Week attendance in the greater Laconia area.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #111
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure how you could claim it "sets the wrong tone for the rest of the season". Most Bike Week visitors are not the boaters and vacationing families that dominate the rest of the tourist season and it has no affect on them at all.

Without Bike Week, and the revenue it generates, many business owners would not have the revenue to "spruce up" at all. The amount of income for the businesses and the entire state is a tremendous boost for the state and local economy. Most Laconia area business owners are not making a killing, and many are just barely making a living. I think you would be surprised to find out how many area restaurants have to use their credit lines every winter to survive with the hope that the tourist season will generate enough revenue to pay it off. Taking one more opportunity to make money away from area businesses would be a very poor move.

Yes, there are large areas of the Weirs that could be improved or developed but once again it comes back to the substantial investment needed with the hope that the 10 week season will make it a financial success. I don't see many people willing to take that risk.

As others have said, the over policing and many other factors have led to the decline in Bike Week attendance in the greater Laconia area.
Tilton there has to be a better way. Just look at the other towns around the lake. While the businesses in these towns derive some incremental benefit from bike week they certainly aren't beholden to the event. Laconia and the Weirs specifically is positioned as the least desirable town on the lake. Yet the Weirs has arguably the most open waterfront and potential. In these times of booming real estate values I find it inconceivable that this area can't be better positioned for success. Bike week in my opinion is one of the factors that keeps the area teathered to failure.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #112
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Tilton there has to be a better way. Just look at the other towns around the lake. While the businesses in these towns derive some incremental benefit from bike week they certainly aren't beholden to the event. Laconia and the Weirs specifically is positioned as the least desirable town on the lake. Yet the Weirs has arguably the most open waterfront and potential. In these times of booming real estate values I find it inconceivable that this area can't be better positioned for success. Bike week in my opinion is one of the factors that keeps the area teathered to failure.
From what I understand, bike week back in the 70's and 80's was a LOT less family friendly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
But, I have also been told this was part of the "HayDay" and did far better then than it did now.

Could it be that by making it more family friendly, it is getting slower? Arguably the main stream view of motorcyclist these days ( gangs then vs everyone now) is making biking in general more of a family friendly activity. If a young adult rode a bike "back in the day", he could be labeled a rebel and that lifestyle matched that bike week was like. Today, bikes are for everyone.

Again, if I am wrong about the history, please correct me. But this would appear to be a possible connection to the decline?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #113
jbolty

"back in the day" it was just Motorcycle Weekend. The original draw was the races at Loudon and the Weirs was just the place to gather and hang out. I don't recall more than maybe one bar back then so drinking would have been byob. It was mostly parking and chatting and driving up and down and of course a few times there were brawls, riots and some cars turned over.

The Weirs back then was all about kids since the arcades were the only thing to do there. That one weekend all the families were pretty much afraid to go there.

Even now the bikers gather there but there is really nothing for them to do except hang out and patronize the vendors that pop up for the event and maybe buy a tee shirt.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #114
TiltonBB

For many years, after the riot in 1965, Bike Week went back to being a weekend event. In the early 90's it once again expanded to 9 days as it is now.

The changes in Motorcycle Week and the laws regulating it have curtailed a lot of activities that drew the massive crowds. Over policing has also made Laconia a place that many motorcyclists avoid and instead they head to other parts of the state.

The crowds and traffic today are about 25% of what they were 15 to 20 years ago. In the past couple of years there has been almost no traffic back up in the area of the Weirs rotary during the entire 9 days of Bike Week.

It seems to be a dying event and without some changes it would be surprising to see it still exist in 5 years. Maybe the new concert schedule will breathe some life into it but that remains to be seen.

There are people with opinions on both sides of the issue so depending upon your perspective and your feelings about Bike Week this could be viewed as good or bad.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 04-24-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #115
brk-lnt

The core problem is that Laconia, like any city, is a business. The city is in the business of generating tax revenue, providing places for people to live, maintaining infrastructure, providing an attractive business environment, etc.

Anyone who has any amount of business knowledge will tell you that it's a very bad strategy to overly rely on a single "mega" customer.

Bike Week is Laconia's giant customer. The entire city is overly reliant on that one customer. It's a bad spot to be in for multiple reasons.

Bike Week doesn't need to go away or be majorly changed, but people need to recognize that until the city has a viable plan to not be solely reliant on Bike Week it will never evolve.

Every year that Laconia doesn't develop a strategy to break its Bike Week addiction makes it that much harder to stabilize itself for the future.
Billy Bob (04-26-2016), camp guy (04-25-2016), jbolty (04-25-2016), VitaBene (04-25-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #116
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
From what I understand, bike week back in the 70's and 80's was a LOT less family friendly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
But, I have also been told this was part of the "HayDay" and did far better then than it did now.

Could it be that by making it more family friendly, it is getting slower? Arguably the main stream view of motorcyclist these days ( gangs then vs everyone now) is making biking in general more of a family friendly activity. If a young adult rode a bike "back in the day", he could be labeled a rebel and that lifestyle matched that bike week was like. Today, bikes are for everyone.

Again, if I am wrong about the history, please correct me. But this would appear to be a possible connection to the decline?
Let me begin by Saying my statements have nothing to do with the topic of this post...just some comments on how "bike week" was enjoyed by myself and thousands of other bikers.
Back "in the day" we didn't even call it "bike week" it was simply "Laconia"
Laconia to me was hundreds of bike clubs and independents camping out along Rt 106 and spending the week having fun and generally observing the parade of bikers and other "hell raisers" constantly, moving back and fourth on 106.
The Wiers was a destination for a ride from 106 and you rode back to your roadside encampment for more fun. Police were mostly non-existent out there and mostly "anything went" from nudity to bonfires to grenade simulators to booby flashing. All good fun for anyone who spent the week along 106.
My experiences took place during the 70's and I can't account for what took place after that time because life was changing for me what with raising a family, etc.
After they banned roadside camping Laconia motorcycle week became, over time, the tame event that is is today. Personally, I'm glad I was able to experience the old "Laconia" and the memories of that era will be with me and others forever.
I apologize for this post not offering any constructive comments that are on topic but I felt compelled to shed some light on how it was "back in the day" to those who didn't have the opportunity to experience it as we did.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #117
Woodsy

I see it completely differently.....

Laconia does not rely on Bike Week.... Downtown Laconia is doing pretty good. They have the Pumpkin Fest, the Colonial Theater is being restored and there are lots of shops, cafes & businesses that are doing very well. The only people who rely on Bike Week for an influx of $$ are resorts & businesses in the Weirs.

Some of the businesses in the Weirs take pride in their buildings, and take very good care of how their property looks. Other businesses not so much. The reality is, there needs to be a plan, sense of direction. The motels that are left will die off.... people NEED a reason to visit. The old kid friendly stuff is not working. A more adult oriented approach is needed. The Weirs has some awesome real estate... it just needs a vision and transformation...

1. Start with Bike Week... embrace it! Loosen the rules a little. Make it so the bikers want to come back and stay awhile! That demographic has grown older and has $$ to spend.

2. Get rid of the silly parking meters.... nobody wants to pay to park!

3. Reconfigure the boat docks to accommodate more boats... perhaps a P/T dockmaster so that 1 large cruiser cannot block off the whole dock.

4. Transform the arcades into something more adult.... cafes? shops? something that make people want to stay awhile.

5. Change the noise ordinance to allow live music until 12:00 - 12:30 on weekends.

6. Allow alcohol to be consumed outside in plastic containers...

7. Weekend boardwalk vendors (like the Hotdog guy in Wolfeboro)

Just a few ideas...

Woodsy
AC2717 (04-26-2016), chasedawg (04-26-2016), diz (04-26-2016), greeleyhill (04-27-2016), JasonG (04-26-2016), moose tracks (04-26-2016), noreast (04-26-2016), Reilly (04-27-2016), Resident 2B (04-26-2016), TiltonBB (04-26-2016), VitaBene (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #118
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Bike Week is Laconia's giant customer. The entire city is overly reliant on that one customer. It's a bad spot to be in for multiple reasons.

Bike Week doesn't need to go away or be majorly changed, but people need to recognize that until the city has a viable plan to not be solely reliant on Bike Week it will never evolve.

Every year that Laconia doesn't develop a strategy to break its Bike Week addiction makes it that much harder to stabilize itself for the future.
I could not disagree more.

Laconia is "solely reliant on Bike Week"? For what? It is a basically revenue neutral event that takes 9 days before the busy part of the summer starts. Laconia does not rely on it for anything. It happens every year and then it goes away until next year. In the total scope of things happening in the City of Laconia it is almost insignificant. And as each year passes and attendance and traffic decline, it becomes less significant.

"Every year that Laconia doesn't develop a strategy to break its Bike Week addiction makes it that much harder to stabilize itself for the future."

Stabilize itself for what? "Bike Week addiction"?

The city is in good shape financially and continues to make infrastructure improvements. A recent example would be the new Laconia fire station that was just completed. The city does not rely on Bike Week for anything.

Bike Week, although a significant revenue boost to Weirs area businesses, has very little impact on the city as a whole.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #119
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I see it completely differently.....

Laconia does not rely on Bike Week.... Downtown Laconia is doing pretty good. They have the Pumpkin Fest, the Colonial Theater is being restored and there are lots of shops, cafes & businesses that are doing very well. The only people who rely on Bike Week for an influx of $$ are resorts & businesses in the Weirs.

Some of the businesses in the Weirs take pride in their buildings, and take very good care of how their property looks. Other businesses not so much. The reality is, there needs to be a plan, sense of direction. The motels that are left will die off.... people NEED a reason to visit. The old kid friendly stuff is not working. A more adult oriented approach is needed. The Weirs has some awesome real estate... it just needs a vision and transformation...

1. Start with Bike Week... embrace it! Loosen the rules a little. Make it so the bikers want to come back and stay awhile! That demographic has grown older and has $$ to spend.

2. Get rid of the silly parking meters.... nobody wants to pay to park!

3. Reconfigure the boat docks to accommodate more boats... perhaps a P/T dockmaster so that 1 large cruiser cannot block off the whole dock.

4. Transform the arcades into something more adult.... cafes? shops? something that make people want to stay awhile.

5. Change the noise ordinance to allow live music until 12:00 - 12:30 on weekends

7. Weekend boardwalk vendors (like the Hotdog guy in Wolfeboro)

Woodsy
This, and add MORE seating! The great thing about Meredith is being able to pull over, for free, and sit at the docks for a bit before moving along. Add the sculpture walk and restaurants--of which Weirs has neither--and you've got a great center.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FWP (04-26-2016), Woodsy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:09 AM   #120
Kamper

An observation on Bike Week

For a variety of reasons (congestion, civil disturbances, tight accommodations and likely many more) people who come for Bike Week are more willing to base themselves further and further from the main venue. It is not uncommon for businesses and communities in a wide radius to have signs and banners welcoming visitors attending the event.

This started with other Lakes Region towns but I expect that, for practical purposes, it will evolve into a state-wide event. Other locales will eventually host their own events during this period. The Weirs will likely remain the 'Capitol' and most attendees will complete the pilgrimage but will spend various amounts of time (and money) elsewhere.

Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #121
Woodsy

Approximately 10-12 years ago, the state decided it was best to "spread out" Bike Week and make it an event for the whole state. To that end, they have encouraged other towns throughout NH, like N. Conway etc. to have "Bike Week" events. They have kept the SP presence in the Weirs for Bike Week at almost untolerable levels and they have been draconian in rules enforcement. This encourages Bikers to go elsewhere and not come to the Weirs.

Woodsy
TiltonBB (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #122
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Approximately 10-12 years ago, the state decided it was best to "spread out" Bike Week and make it an event for the whole state. To that end, they have encouraged other towns throughout NH, like N. Conway etc. to have "Bike Week" events. They have kept the SP presence in the Weirs for Bike Week at almost untolerable levels and they have been draconian in rules enforcement. This encourages Bikers to go elsewhere and not come to the Weirs.

Woodsy
sounds like a plan , the start to the end , great
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #123
PaugusBayFireFighter

If they keep adding good music bands and attractions Bike Week will come back to the Weirs. With the acts and events already scheduled at Laconiafest you'll see a lot more hanging around the Weirs than in years past. As someone who is tired of the same old bike week, I'm excited to see this year's crowds.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Woodsy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #124
Mr. V

What do the bikers to to frolic and party?

Are they wet T-shirt contests for them to oogle?

Drinking or eating (trencherman) competitions?

Still race up Gunstock?

If it were allowed, having the casino at the old dog track relocate temporarily to the Weirs would be a hit.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #125
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
If they keep adding good music bands and attractions Bike Week will come back to the Weirs. With the acts and events already scheduled at Laconiafest you'll see a lot more hanging around the Weirs than in years past. As someone who is tired of the same old bike week, I'm excited to see this year's crowds.
This is certainly not the first year that Bike Week has had big name bands entertaining the crowds so I doubt that this will be a game changer for bringing things back. IMO, the biggest issue with trying to have big name entertainment at the old drive in is PARKING. There is none. These events should be held at locations away from Weirs BLVD (Pavillion/NHMS) if you want to have repeat customers.

Even as I type this, I checked the Laconiafest web site and they have a specific page for parking..... "TBA", can't wait to pay $20/PP for a train ride in/out of the Weirs plus another $20 for parking a vehicle in another part of Laconia (Not the parking garage for sure)
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #126
Irish Choppers

Default Construction and Site Work?

I apologize if this question has been posted in another forum but if it has I missed it. I’m seeing what looks like a lot of excavation and site work taking place just past Cumberland Farms. It seems to be running from Rt. 3 to the property lines on Tower Street. Incredible views from the top of the hill. New residential development? This could help bring the Weirs back to life.. no?
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #127
Rattler

Default More Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Choppers View Post
I apologize if this question has been posted in another forum but if it has I missed it. I’m seeing what looks like a lot of excavation and site work taking place just past Cumberland Farms. It seems to be running from Rt. 3 to the property lines on Tower Street. Incredible views from the top of the hill. New residential development? This could help bring the Weirs back to life.. no?
Have heard that this is additional Bike Week parking/vendor space. As long as land owners can make incredible sums of money during Bike Week through parking and space rental income on undeveloped (i.e., low taxed) property, the idea of bringing the Weirs back to life is a pipe dream.

It is sad that a 9-day event that a good portion of local residents dread is responsible for the eyesore these residents have to look at every day of the year.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattler For This Useful Post:
Reilly (05-02-2016), Spider Girl (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #128
fatlazyless

Default .....almost a 17-building storage business

Well.....that beautiful six acre, hill top lot, just down hill from the Cumberland gas station on Route 3 there, that's got big views of Lake Winnipesaukee and the ossipee mountains beyond ...... almost became a storage business.

Whoever owns the property must gets a large property tax bill from the City of Laconia on a regular basis and probably wishes they never got involved with this here six acre lot. It is too small, less than 10-acres, to be zoned 'in current use' and the property tax bills keep coming in the mail on a very regular basis......don't you know it.

So's .....what to do.....what to do ....what to do with this beautiful six acre, hill top lot.....with the big views of the big lake, and beyond?

Maybe ..... 18-months ago, a storage business proposal consisting of 17-different shed style storage buildings similar to what you may see on the tv show Storage Wars was brought to the zoning board for approval, and it was an appropriate use at the time, but not any more.

And, the property owner decided not to go forward with a storage business due to all the local negative feed back ....... so's it almost became a big, ugly storage business.....that would have been there for many years .....had it been built.

One thing that's happened recently......the cutting down of the remaining large trees has really opened up the big view looking out, over, and across the big lake ...... what a view!

...... p.s. .... as long as u r in the neighborhood on any Wednesday.....suggest u stop in to Kellerhaus nearby for a Wednesday special......the world's greatest ice cream cone for just $1.09 ...... a Kellerhaus Wednesday special!
Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #129
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Have heard that this is additional Bike Week parking/vendor space. As long as land owners can make incredible sums of money during Bike Week through parking and space rental income on undeveloped (i.e., low taxed) property, the idea of bringing the Weirs back to life is a pipe dream.

It is sad that a 9-day event that a good portion of local residents dread is responsible for the eyesore these residents have to look at every day of the year.
There is also talk of filling in about 150 acres in front of the Weirs docks to expand bike week parking.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
pondguy (05-01-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #130
Woodsy

I am sure something pretty nice is going to be built on that Hilltop.... he isn't just clearing the land for parking....
Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #131
AC2717

I wonder how Sturgis does it? isn't that pretty much a ghost town for 50 our of 52 weeks a year? it is also not a tourist destination other than bike week I guess?
Maybe should take a look at Daytona or other bike weeks spots that are also tourist destinations to see what they have done or are doing
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #132
Woodsy

Sturgis EMBRACES bike week.... unlike Laconia. They do Bike Week completely different.... Laconia and the State of NH could learn quite a bit from them...

LaconiaFest est is a good 1st step in Making Bike Week great again!

Woodsy
Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #133
NoBozo

Default Sturgis

Coming back from the west coast a few years ago I rode into Sturgis Three weeks before the party was supposed to begin. There was not a motel room to be had. Motorcycles everywhere. Had to ride on to Rapid City to get a room. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote