Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 AM   #1
overeasy

Default Anchor choice?

I have a 16' aluminum boat. Weighs under 1000# but with a high freeboard, windshield, and Bimini it does have some windage.

My anchor collection consists of:

1. Big Danforth. 10-12#? Was off my 21' sailboat. Has about 4' of chain, 100' rode. Too big to store. Sits on floor of boat at the bow. Allows the chain to slide down to the bottom to pull anchor out by the bottom.

2. More appropriate Danforth.(6-8#?) 6' of chain, 100' rode. Stores nicely in boat. Sorry I don't have better size descriptions. They are (decent) knock-offs and don't have much in the way of labels.

3. 10# Navy. Currently has no chain or rode but I can steal from one of the above.

I don't foresee anchoring to do anything other than fish an interesting spot for a few minutes or eat lunch. In quiet coves if I can find one. But I like to prepare for anything. That said, It's a trailer sailer, if bad weather is predicted I'll be doing something else.

I'll be towing this boat 10 hours through the mountains using an already-loaded-down minivan with my entire gene pool onboard. Weight savings are appreciated and I'd like to bring just one anchor for storage and weight reasons. What would you do? (Other than buy a new anchor) I've never boated on a rocky-bottom lake, just the sandy Chesapeake and it's silty tributaries. Thank you.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
I have a 16' aluminum boat. Weighs under 1000# but with a high freeboard, windshield, and Bimini it does have some windage.

1. Big Danforth. 10-12#? Was off my 21' sailboat. Has about 4' of chain, 100' rode. Too big to store. Sits on floor of boat at the bow. Allows the chain to slide down to the bottom to pull anchor out by the bottom.

2. More appropriate Danforth.(6-8#?) 6' of chain, 100' rode. Stores nicely in boat. Sorry I don't have better size descriptions. They are (decent) knock-offs and don't have much in the way of labels.

3. 10# Navy. Currently has no chain or rode but I can steal from one of the above.

I don't foresee anchoring to do anything other than fish an interesting spot for a few minutes or eat lunch. In quiet coves if I can find one. But I like to prepare for anything. That said, It's a trailer sailer, if bad weather is predicted I'll be doing something else.

I'll be towing this boat 10 hours through the mountains using an already-loaded-down minivan with my entire gene pool onboard. Weight savings are appreciated and I'd like to bring just one anchor for storage and weight reasons. What would you do? (Other than buy a new anchor) I've never boated on a rocky-bottom lake, just the sandy Chesapeake and it's silty tributaries. Thank you.
Sounds like you've already decided on #2, which sounds fine--everywhere we anchor on Winni is sandy/grassy bottom, so the smaller Danforth would be fine. Godspeed!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Dave R

#2 should be fine. No need to over-think it. That said, if you change anything, add more chain, never hurts...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
kawishiwi

Default Fishing anchor...

Quote:

If you are fishing the odds are you will be anchoring on rocky bottoms unlike most of the posters here that are anchoring mostly at sand bars for lounging. I have a Richter brand anchor for my 17ft alum. walk-thru fishing boat that sticks like a pin on rocky bottom with very little line out, a.k.a 'rode'. It was originally designed for Walleye fisherman in the upper midwest. They are ugly, hard to store, & heavy...but they are better on rocks than anything else. http://richteranchors.com
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
overeasy

I've seen those Richter anchors and I bet they work great on rocks. But I'm certain that would poke right through my hull if mis-handled. Or I pole vault the trailer off one of these pot holes we have here in PA. Would the Navy anchor be better on rocks? Are they loose fist-size rocks, or craggy hunks the size of Volkswagens? Forgot to mention choice 4 - the disposable option: A pair of brake rotors, an old trailer safety chain, and some sun-faded Polypropylene. One of my favorite fishing spots on the bay is notorious for keeping anchors. By now it's got to just be a giant pile of snagged anchors. I've been saving that beauty for that location.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
kawishiwi

Default Winni has all the rock types

I think Winni probably has every size of rock known to man. From fine sand up to what might be house size. Hard to tell on sonar if those biggies are freestanding or outcrops of bedrock. Probably a mix. They are mostly better worn & rounded vs the Minnesota sharp edged lure eaters of my earlier days. I've lost more jigs to rocks in a day of fishing there than I have in 3 seasons on Winni. Same goes for anchoring. Seems to be more sand and gravel filling in the gaps here which helps prevent anchor eaters though I am sure there is a wealth of lost ones in Winni. So, maybe you can leave the anchors at home and use snorkel gear to "shop" for one here?
Oh, the only place I've had good luck with navy anchors was in seaweed beds or mud flats.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
Gould1

Box Anchor and your done! No need for a chain, just a rope. Holds in sand, clay, and rock. I've had one for 15 years and converted most of my buddies to one and no one would ever go back to anything else. The only downfall is that you need to dunk it quite a few times when you pull it up to get all the crap that will be stuck to it off. I guess you need to do that with any anchor to a certain point.
Gould1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #8
Blyblvrd

I second the box anchor approach. Made the switch this year and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
overeasy

This is the first I've heard of box anchors! I watched a few YouTube videos and I'm sold! Especially the folding ones - my boat has very little storage. But at $130 for the smallest size, I will have to wait until the patent expires and knock-offs can be had.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default It says "Marine" on the price tag

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of box anchors! I watched a few YouTube videos and I'm sold! Especially the folding ones - my boat has very little storage. But at $130 for the smallest size, I will have to wait until the patent expires and knock-offs can be had.
$130? I recall seeing a sponge for sale at a marina some years ago. The labeling said "Marine sponge. Conforms to the shape of you hull. $6.95" A regular sponge was $1.00. Waiting for the patent to expire and the price to go down is folly.
The deductible on your insurance is $500? $1000? Spend $130 for the anchor and understand that your anchor is to protect the boat when the engine quits and you're adrift in a heavy wind. Protect your multi thousand dollar investment with a suitable anchor. On the sandbar on calm days $2.37 for a concrete block should do OK. Not prepared for emergencies? Stay home and enjoy your dockmates at the marina.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it bothers me when it appears there is no sense of perspective.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
overeasy

"No sense of perspective." Perhaps I didn't provide enough information.
I'm not talking about going out with NO anchor. I have three anchors, two of which are well-suited to the lake according to those who replied. (thanks!)

I'm not the type to pay a premium for the Latest Thing because it's a little better than what I have. I buy the not-newest cell phone when mine wears out, and until the used car market went nuts, I drove used cars and always paid cash. Even now, I'm driving a 6 year old Subaru (bought new, cash) and I see the new ones with better safety features and heated steering wheels but a price tag that's half my household income and I'm glad I have what I have and don't have to swing that payment.

If I lose an anchor and have to buy a new one - it will be one of these box anchors. But until then my Danforths that have worked for years (on sailboats that can't run from storms - on much bigger water than an inland lake) will have to do.

When I first started sailing I read a lot of books - Chichester, Roth, Slocum, etc. Guys that were circumnavigating. They heavily influenced my decisions. I still carry way more safety and "what if" gear than necessary. What little storage I have is a weird combination of chandlery and a prepper's bunker.

I don't recall what my insurance deductible is, but my annual policy is ten bucks more than that anchor. This boat is no peach. Sturdy, and in exemplary mechanical condition, but it's not going to win any awards.