Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Shallowest area of West Alton sandbar?

It's been a few years since I anchored there. My recollection is that it's deeper in most places than the Braun Bay sandbar. Next week sometime, I plan to anchor at West Alton with a 9 year old aboard. Where is a good spot to drop anchors that's less than 4 feet deep but also where I won't break any laws? I'll get there early enough to have my choice of spots.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
gtagrip

Daver, I would stay to the south side of the channel that goes in and out of WAM and get a close to shore as possible, of course without breaking the
150' rule.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
NH_boater

I do not think you will have much difficulty virtually anywhere on the bar if he/she is of average height.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
gtxrider

Default West Alton Sand Bar

Lovely spot! Try to get closer to shore.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtxrider; 07-27-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: adding picture
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
jrc

If I remember right there are two red markers off the beach to indicate how close to the shore is legal to anchor. South of the channel is shallower than north by a foot or more.

I think the prime spots in Braun Bay, way down by the stream are shallower than West Alton. I don't think you can go on the beach at West Alton. There may be exceptions for slip renters at the marina.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
XCR-700

Talking

Was just there last weekend and the south/east side at the mouth of the channel is where you want to be. Just look for the red marker and drop anchor there and let the kids play inside the marker area (no one is ever there to chase them off)

Its a great spot for kids, just bring something for them to float around on and you have a whole afternoon of fun!

gh

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Dave R

Thanks folks!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Just look for the red marker and drop anchor there and let the kids play inside the marker area (no one is ever there to chase them off)
Not sure what you mean by chasing them off. Perfectly legal to play in the water right up to shore. Folks do it everyday. Just do not go ashore, which is illegal. Your must anchor outside the 150 ft markers.

I hate seeing folks bring their pets on land or let the kids play on the beach.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
Not sure what you mean by chasing them off. Perfectly legal to play in the water right up to shore. Folks do it everyday. Just do not go ashore, which is illegal. Your must anchor outside the 150 ft markers.

I hate seeing folks bring their pets on land or let the kids play on the beach.
Been anchored in other parts of the lake and the MP have told is we had to leave (near GI twice), never happens in the WA sandbar.

As for pets/kids on land, never seen that myself. What is the deal with that area anyway? Privately owned???

Anyway the WA sandbar is a great spot to bring kids, they always have fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
NH_boater

Privately owned and clearly marked with no trespassing signs, yet it is not uncommon to see kids, pets and sometimes adults building sand castles and walking around. We go there often. I would say we see the beach owners there maybe 10% of the time and violators there 25 to 50% of the time.

We also see boaters anchored inside the 150 and a few times tied up to the 150. Marine patrol will occasionally come thru, but rarely 'correct' a 25ft or 150ft violation. Usually they just smile and wave. My experiences.....
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
jrc

If you look at these tax maps, you will see that all the land on both sides of the sandbar is in the same parcel as the West Alton Marina.

http://www.alton.nh.gov/Maps/Alton61.pdf
http://www.alton.nh.gov/Maps/Alton60.pdf
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Smith Point

What is the rule for the West Alton sand bar? (especially when its packed wall to wall boats) Can you come and go as you please? Swimmers and turning props = a bad day on the water. What do you do if you half to go #2? Just wondering.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Was just there last weekend and the south/east side at the mouth of the channel is where you want to be. Just look for the red marker and drop anchor there and let the kids play inside the marker area (no one is ever there to chase them off)

Its a great spot for kids, just bring something for them to float around on and you have a whole afternoon of fun!

gh

The red Monterey on the right is my boat. Here's a shot taken off the back of it that will give you a good idea on depth....

We were right up against the 150' marker.

It's one of our favorite spots but the MP will and does quite often come in and move boats that are inside the 150'.
Attached Images

AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Use your porta potty in the boat or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
What is the rule for the West Alton sand bar? (especially when its packed wall to wall boats) Can you come and go as you please? Swimmers and turning props = a bad day on the water. What do you do if you half to go #2? Just wondering.
...pull anchor and head for the nearest public toilet...West Alton, Minge cove, alton Bay.

Baby Ruth bars in the water or left on the shore would be an absolute no no.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 07-28-2012 at 10:02 PM.
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
The red Monterey on the right is my boat. Here's a shot taken off the back of it that will give you a good idea on depth....

We were right up against the 150' marker.

It's one of our favorite spots but the MP will and does quite often come in and move boats that are inside the 150'.
Ha too funny as I actually remember seeing you guys hanging out. I usually don't remember such things, but it was a pretty quiet day, no loud music playing and you guys were just hanging out enjoying the water and weather.

Me I was the guy worrying about my kids floating around and bothering people,,, They dont have a good sense of distance and personal space and I worry too much,,,

Well glad to see we were both on the right side of the marker,,,

gh

p.s. always liked Monterey Boats and some of the new ones have very interesting features!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
In the old days, if you were in the back and wanted to leave you or your friends would walk your boat out. You can idle very slowly out but water that shallow is not good to run in. You kick up sand which can ruin your impeller fast. Plus if you tilt your drive way up, and start it, you stress the u-joints in the out drive.

So it's better all around to pull your boat to deep water, lower your drive, start the boat and leave.

The #2 question is covered, poop on your boat or leave. You really need a boat with a head if you have children or people who act like them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Chaos (07-28-2012), Smith Point (07-29-2012), XCR-700 (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Chaos

Default Not to change the topic,

but about 4 years ago a family from somewhere on the lake showed up at the West Alton sandbar and a pile of kids swam to the beach. Then one of them yelled to dad "hey dad, bring me some toilet paper" as he proceeded to #2 on the beach. He got his TP, cleaned himself and then left the pile on the beach. Nice, ha? I wanted to strangle the parents, of course they thought it was the funniest thing ever. I pretty much stopped hanging there after that, and I'm at WAM.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Ha too funny as I actually remember seeing you guys hanging out. I usually don't remember such things, but it was a pretty quiet day, no loud music playing and you guys were just hanging out enjoying the water and weather.

Me I was the guy worrying about my kids floating around and bothering people,,, They dont have a good sense of distance and personal space and I worry too much,,,

Well glad to see we were both on the right side of the marker,,,

gh

p.s. always liked Monterey Boats and some of the new ones have very interesting features!
Stop by and say hello next time!
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
In the old days, if you were in the back and wanted to leave you or your friends would walk your boat out. You can idle very slowly out but water that shallow is not good to run in. You kick up sand which can ruin your impeller fast. Plus if you tilt your drive way up, and start it, you stress the u-joints in the out drive.

So it's better all around to pull your boat to deep water, lower your drive, start the boat and leave.
Yup, done that a few times, and I though I was being an oddball for not wanting to wreck my prop or suck up a bunch of sand,,,

Never thought about the u-joint issue, thanks for bringing that up!

GH
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
Stop by and say hello next time!
Will do!

Funny I was going to say something to you guys when were there, looked like you guys were just hanging out and making the best of the day, but I was too focused on the kids having fun, as #1 son was giving us all "rides" on a new towable we just got. Over the years we have found that they (towables) serve two purposes, you can tow the kids behind the boat and thay have a blast, then you can let them play with them at the sandbars and they have a giant toy to figure out how to raise-cane with. His idea that day was to have up load up and he would take us on a tour of the sandbar. It wore him out but good!!!

Was thinking about trying to come up tomorrow, but the weather looks questionable,,,

Not sure if its worth trailering the 100 miles each way for a partial day,,,

Guess there is something to be said about keeping your boat on the lake, makes for an easier and less costly trip back and forth.

Thanks!!!

George
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
Altonbayicefishingfool

The beach belongs to west Alton marina.
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
Aguamenti

Is the sandbar at approximately 19I on the Bizer chart?
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #23
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguamenti View Post
I don't have my chart handy, but it's right at the mouth of the cove that goes to West Alton Marina.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguamenti View Post
I think it's more like 14-H across from Sleepers Island at buoy FL "75". NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote