Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
rick35

Default Hazard near Cattle Landing

The loon people have installed a baby loon caution sign just north of the Cattle Landing. Its anchored pretty far out from shore and its something you definitely need to know about. Maybe the sign could be much closer to shore and still provide a warning. The way it is now its a hazard so please be careful.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Water Camper

Default Loon signs reported

We came through that area Thursday July 5th, very late afternoon, and saw the two loon warning signs. One was almost in the center of the travel lane just north of Cattle Landing. Another was outside of Black Cove but still in a hazardous area for boaters, especially at night, as they contain no lights. Our thought was that they had broken lose with the storm of Weds. night and were floating freely.

We immediately called Marine Patrol who directed us to Fish and Game where we left a message about our concerns. The Loon Preserve people, who are actually responsible for the placement of the signs, called us the next day. He did not seem overly concerned about their placement. We tried very hard to indicate the danger of these signs to boaters, especially at night. He said they had reflective tape on them. I guess you might see that as you're about to hit it! He also said they would check it out but were not worried about them. Yesterday, we went back through that area and there were now 4 signs. Two would not concern us in their placement but the other two are still a hazard in our opinion. I would urge anyone who agrees about the danger of the placement of these signs to contact the Loon Preserve.
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Jonas Pilot

It seems to me that the Loon Preservation Committee responded to your concerns by marking the area better. What did they tell you when you asked why they had decided to protect this spot?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Water Camper

Default Jonas You Misunderstood

In our opinion, two of the signs are still in areas where a boater could quite possibly hit them in the dark ... too far out from shore. I encourage you to go check for yourself. On your question about what they said about protecting this spot, here's what he said:

"We protect nesting areas and we always place the signs in areas where boaters either don't go, or need to do no wake." (In this case I believe he was referring to Black Cove.") But the signs were well into the line of navigating safe passage (at night) through that area and that was our point to him.

Just sayin'. Everyone who reads the forum is warned now and hopefully no one gets injured.
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Altonbayicefishingfool

The dim glow off your green/red bow light should light up that reflective tape pretty good... As you mow it down with your bow... Sounds like a legit hazard..
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Jonas Pilot

Not if you go at wake speed through there. We share this lake with many different animals. Some need a little extra help at certain times of the year.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-22-2012), KPW (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
rick35

Thanks Water Camper for making those calls. I see that the signs are in closer to shore so I think your calls worked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-10-2012), Lakewinn1 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Misty Blue

Default Thanks Camper.

I maintain one of the nesting spots on the Lake. The LPC has always been concerned with the placement of the nesting signs and postings. I have marching orders to set up the santuary as late as possible and to remove it as soon as possible. The floats are put in places where we hope they will do some good but not be a hazard to navigation.

Apparently this one fell between the cracks.

I am glad that you called the LPC and that the problem got resolved. Without the good will of the public the efforts of the people at the Loon Center would be impossible.

Again thanks.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-10-2012), KPW (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
rick35

And thank you Misty Blue for what you do. We had a loon family out front of our camp last summer and it was special to see the baby grow up.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
KPW (07-10-2012)