Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Hail storm yesterday

My wife tells me that a late afternoon storm turned over to hail for a while. A jet ski (Dad and young daughter) from Gilford even sought refuge at our place to wait out the storm. Strange weather this year, that's for sure.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:50 AM   #2
DRH

We had heard the forecast for possible hail, but the thunderstorm yesterday afternoon went through West Alton at about 5:30 PM with just rain. Plenty of lightning and thunder, but little wind.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
nesun326

Default Hail storm

We were caught right in the thick of it, trying to get into our slip at Faye's. We had been anchored at Timber, and unfortunately had to wait for people swimming to get back in the boat as the clouds rolled in. Took us three passes to get into our slip, as the wind kept whipping us past. The hail was probably the size of peas at one point. Doesn't sound huge, but when you're getting pelted with it...well, it hurts! The bottom of our boat was covered in ice. Not to mention, we were FREEZING!!!! Thankfully, we made it into the slip, and by the time we finished unloading the SUN was out! Gotta love New England!
nesun326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
samosetguy

Default Sudden Storm

That was a nasty storm yesterday. The national weather service put out a warning about an hour before it hit which included the risk of 60 mph winds and golf ball sized hail. The wind came swirling in across the broads and the relative glass like lake turned into white caps in literally seconds (my view from my porch is right across the broads).

On the scanner, it appeared there were two water rescues when the storm hit. One was off Black Cat Island and the other off Long Island. They may have been related but I think they were separate. There was also a small Lund fishing boat that couldn't get the engine started and needed assistance.

For a larger boat (maybe > 25ft) it probably wasn't too much to worry about but any smaller vessels probably got tossed around a fair amount for about twenty minutes. It came and left quickly. There was briefly a faint wide rainbow on the back side of it.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Animated radar

I track this storm yesterday and decided to cruise to Paugus Bay. Lakeport escape the storm's warth. It was weird to see the storm go right by me!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
jetskier

Default Out on the jetskis

We were out on the jetskis and saw the clouds building just before the storm. We made it as far as Governor's Island and put ashore to wait it out. There was pea size hail, driving rain, fierce winds....and it was over in about 15 minutes. Paugus Bay just got wind, so it was pretty localized.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote