Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
Pam

Default Question about property owner renting dock space

I can't seem to find this information on NH DES or Dept of Safety websites. There are lots of people looking for dock rentals. Are there any limits on a property owner renting dock space? Also, are there limits on the number of boats a person can have on their docks? I understand that only property owners are supposed to use their mooring, but if a person wanted to have several boats tied to their dock(s) on an ongoing basis, are there any rules against doing that?

Just curious. I know there are strict rules about dock sizes, etc based on water frontage, with permits required, but beyond that, can't find anything.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
garysanfran

Since vacation rentals frequently include docks, and since many marinas just rent out dock space, I see no reason an owner can't rent just dock space and I would imagine the dock, itself, would limit the number of craft. Get liability insurance.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

It’s not just dock space, assuming it includes parking and access to and from the personal dock being rented

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
camp guy

Default renting dock space

The State is not interested in having individual land owners create their "own" marinas by renting space on their dock(s). When I inquired about having a second mooring, I was told by the State that I needed to have a boat on each mooring registered to me, and that it was not possible to have either of those boats docked at my dock, or on my land. Amount of lakefront footage was also a big factor.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default it's definitely done...

I do know of several elderly neighbors who no longer have boats who let others with a boat use their dock or mooring for the season. I do not know if they are friends/relatives just getting a favor, or complete strangers paying money...none of my business, but people do it.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

How is renting dock space at a private residence any different than renting an owned dock that is part of an association, club or marina?

Moorings for sure are a no go.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #7
Asloren1

Default Check DES website for PDF outlining docks/slips

There’s a PDF available on the DES website that pretty clearly lays out how available slips work based on the docks you have. Basically if I recall a slip is something like 25’ long by 8’ wide by 3’ deep. So regardless of dock configuration, boats are really only supposed to fit into those areas around the dock.

Based on this, if you had a single 30’ long by 6’ wide finger dock for example, that would allow for 2 slips (1 on each side) - my understanding is you can’t just raft up any number of boats together side by side to fit say 6 boats there (at least not over a period of time, I’m sure for a couple of hours it’d be fine though).
Asloren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asloren1 For This Useful Post:
Pam (08-01-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
How is renting dock space at a private residence any different than renting an owned dock that is part of an association, club or marina?

Moorings for sure are a no go.
The first difference I see between marinas and private homes would be the zoning.

I think there would be a limit. If you have dock space at your house and rented out seasonal slips to several different people, and multiple boats, at some point your operation becomes commercial, not residential. That may create a zoning issue that your town would object to.

Of course, you can do most anything, and violate many regulations, until your neighbor complains to the authorities!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The State is not interested in having individual land owners create their "own" marinas by renting space on their dock(s). When I inquired about having a second mooring, I was told by the State that I needed to have a boat on each mooring registered to me, and that it was not possible to have either of those boats docked at my dock, or on my land. Amount of lakefront footage was also a big factor.
If I have a guest, they can't dock their boat at my dock, if it's not registered to me? I think that is not the case.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
If I have a guest, they can't dock their boat at my dock, if it's not registered to me? I think that is not the case.
There was a lake front family in town that had an L shaped long lot. They had 4 docks. And yes, they would rent them out. They did not have any parking issues.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

I think that this is simply a matter of "don't ask don't tell" in moderation. There may be zoning issues in some towns as lake shore residential zoning may preclude commercial activities. However the code enforcement officer is not going to come by to see who is using your dock. Unless, of course, the neighbors have reason to file a complaint.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #12
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I think that this is simply a matter of "don't ask don't tell" in moderation. There may be zoning issues in some towns as lake shore residential zoning may preclude commercial activities. However the code enforcement officer is not going to come by to see who is using your dock. Unless, of course, the neighbors have reason to file a complaint.

Alan
I agree completely. If you rent out a space at your dock, who's to know? Not harming anyone. I would suggest you have a simple agreement signed by the renter that says they must have their boat insured and you are not liable for any damage should it occur.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #13
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
I agree completely. If you rent out a space at your dock, who's to know? Not harming anyone. I would suggest you have a simple agreement signed by the renter that says they must have their boat insured and you are not liable for any damage should it occur.
I am not an attorney, but regardless of what they sign, your liability carrier may not cover you if it determines your renting a dock is a commercial activity.

If you have assets to protect, this just may not be worth it.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The first difference I see between marinas and private homes would be the zoning.

I think there would be a limit. If you have dock space at your house and rented out seasonal slips to several different people, and multiple boats, at some point your operation becomes commercial, not residential. That may create a zoning issue that your town would object to.

Of course, you can do most anything, and violate many regulations, until your neighbor complains to the authorities!
If that were the case zoning would prohibit you from renting a house, condo or whatever. I find it really hard to believe that all these associations are zoned commercial. There are private property owners that rent out seasonal parking or barn storage on their property, is that illegal to?

It's an interesting question. I have yet to find anything that says you cannot, unless there is some sort of covenant that says you cannot.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I am not an attorney, but regardless of what they sign, your liability carrier may not cover you if it determines your renting a dock is a commercial activity.

If you have assets to protect, this just may not be worth it.
That's a great point, you may have a problem if a liability claim happened, trip and fall on the dock or something similar. However, I think if you contact the insurance agent you'd find that a rental rider is cheap, a few hundred bucks would be my guess. Could be wrong.

And I'm not sure the OP was asking because he really wanted to rent, or was just curious about the law, so sorry if I took this in a different direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
If that were the case zoning would prohibit you from renting a house, condo or whatever. I find it really hard to believe that all these associations are zoned commercial. There are private property owners that rent out seasonal parking or barn storage on their property, is that illegal to?

It's an interesting question. I have yet to find anything that says you cannot, unless there is some sort of covenant that says you cannot.
I don't think renting out one house or one boat dock makes it a commercial operation. I do think you will run into trouble when you rent docks to multiple boat owners or winter store numerous boats on your property. At some point it becomes a business in a residential area.

None of the associations converted to condo ownership without approval from the local Planning Board. They all started out as marinas and the zoning was not an issue because that usage was grandfathered.

I actually had a similar discussion with the Laconia Planning Department when I converted a residential building and multiple boat docks to condo ownership. They claimed it was a change of use and I needed to appear before the Planning Board to ask permission. I maintained it was not. I pointed out it was only a change of ownership, the use would remain exactly the same.

I told them if it was a change of use they would have some authority to regulate it but the city had no authority to regulate how a property was owned. You can own it individually, with partners, in an LLC, in a trust Etc.

I still believe that the city does not have that authority, but sometimes you can't fight city hall.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #17
John Mercier

Quote:

In some cases it is, they simply don't ask. And for many, they don't claim the income on their taxes.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #18
Onshore

NHDES Wetlands does not have any interest in, or rules pertains to, a homeowner renting their legal slips to another party.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-27-2021), Lakegeezer (07-26-2021), Slickcraft (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
That's a great point, you may have a problem if a liability claim happened, trip and fall on the dock or something similar. However, I think if you contact the insurance agent you'd find that a rental rider is cheap, a few hundred bucks would be my guess. Could be wrong.

And I'm not sure the OP was asking because he really wanted to rent, or was just curious about the law, so sorry if I took this in a different direction.

While getting a rider may be a cost of only a few hundred dollars, you may find that that it only covers certain things.... Because of liability reason, rent dock space at your personal dock really doesn't make sense if you ask me.

Its great right up until an accident happens...
Old 07-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #20
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
C'mon, what could happen around boats and docks?

(slippery dock, cleats to trip on, boat to fall into/out of, motor, propeller, gasoline, lightening strike, massive surf wakes knocking someone out the side of the boat, dog bites, electric cord in the water, ........)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #21
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
While getting a rider may be a cost of only a few hundred dollars, you may find that that it only covers certain things.... Because of liability reason, rent dock space at your personal dock really doesn't make sense if you ask me.

Plus the whole tax thing. You will owe them. And if your plan was not to pay them...is it really worth the risk during an audit, especially having left a paper trail on the insurance showing you knew it was a business?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default rent or lease?

I believe Laconia has, or is considering, zoning that would prevent renting in certain residential areas. There is a lengthy thread on this. HOWEVER, draw the distinction between renting, say for a vacation week, and leasing for more than 6 months. Short term rent requires you to register and pay NH Room and Meals tax. Long term lease is completely different. All the discussion about city/town ordinances, residential vs commercial zoning, etc. still applies.
If you don't charge rent, or have some other legal consideration and you let you neighbor use your dock for 20+ years, the neighbor may have a right to use under adverse possession laws.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 AM   #23
ApS

Cool No Cleats on My Dock...

Quote:
C'mon, what could happen around boats and docks?

(slippery dock, cleats to trip on, boat to fall into/out of, motor, propeller, gasoline, lightening strike, massive surf wakes knocking someone out the side of the boat, dog bites, electric cord in the water, ........)
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the dock. Torque is how far you move it."

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #24
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
... If you don't charge rent, or have some other legal consideration and you let you neighbor use your dock for 20+ years, the neighbor may have a right to use under adverse possession laws.
Adverse possession/squatter's rights never apply when you initially have permission.

"Adverse" refers to open and obvious use without asking permission.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:30 AM   #25
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Adverse possession/squatter's rights never apply when you initially have permission.

"Adverse" refers to open and obvious use without asking permission.
While I believe this to be completely correct, based on my own family’s experience I would recommend that any friendly agreement like this should be documented. In our case the elderly couple we shared the dock with passed away and the next generation sold their camp telling the new owners, not only that they owned dock rights, but the dock itself. If my grandfather had the agreement in writhing, we couldn’t find it. Eventually our family decided to let the place go.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #26
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Puck-
This is sad, yet well-taken information (concerning the dock "loaning" and documentation).
You didn't say if the dock situation was at the forefront of the family's decision to "let the place go", but giving up long-time family spots are well documented around here ( lamented/celebrated events).
Many of these transactions have been described on this forum, and most of them, seems to me, have revolved around inheritors unable to agree on who pays what, who's responsibilities are these, how much time do I get- and like that.
I hope this wasn't a painful event for you and the others involved.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #27
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
You didn't say if the dock situation was at the forefront of the family's decision to "let the place go"
It was. What made it easier was the fact that, at that time, there were multiple other family members who had places where we were/are welcome. We have one last island foothold and there is agreement that no matter what, it must stay within the family..
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #28
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
It was. What made it easier was the fact that, at that time, there were multiple other family members who had places where we were/are welcome. We have one last island foothold and there is agreement that no matter what, it must stay within the family..
The news of your continued enjoyment of the area is good to hear.
As far as the family's "famous last words"- my best wishes for the future.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote