Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
DBreskin

Default Wolfeboro Bay No Wake Zone

One of the agenda items for the Wolfeboro Board of Selectmen meeting scheduled for September 7, 2016 is the discussion of a no wake zone in Wolfeboro Bay.

I don't know the specific location of the NWZ under consideration.

Last edited by DBreskin; 09-03-2016 at 06:25 AM.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
HellRaZoR004

Default Wolfeboro Bay No Wake Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
One of the agenda items for the Wolfeboro Board of Selectmen meeting scheduled for September 7, 2016 is the discussion of a no wake zone in Wolfeboro Bay.

I don't know the location of the NWZ under consideration.

Edit: apparently I can't read when I'm tired and cranky. Wolfeboro, not Meredith. Thanks for posting this!!

Last edited by HellRaZoR004; 09-03-2016 at 08:15 AM.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #3
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Reference the thread here: good to know there is an agenda item for it.

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21171

The thread you referenced is for a NWZ in Meredith Bay. I mentioned WOLFEBORO Bay.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
ApS

Thumbs up Alter The Trend...Double Fees 24+...

Wolfeboro's got a problem?

Solution 1 has already been posted: here.

"Inadequate piling docks" need to be raised one foot.

Solution 2 has been posted previously: here.

As you age—and your boat's giving you aches from hitting wakes, buy a bigger boat...

Waitaminnit!

Isn't buying a bigger boat contributing to a vicious cycle—producing bigger wakes—which cause these dreaded NWZs?

Old 09-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Wolfeboro's got a problem?

Solution 1 has already been posted: here.

"Inadequate piling docks" need to be raised one foot.

Solution 2 has been posted previously: here.

As you age—and your boat's giving you aches from hitting wakes, buy a bigger boat...

Waitaminnit!

Isn't buying a bigger boat contributing to a vicious cycle—producing bigger wakes—which cause these dreaded NWZs?

Once again here we go....

1. Sure to some degree larger boats do produce large wakes but that is a rather dubious statement. So let's not be Clintonish about this and claim ignorance instead there is a DIRECT correlation between HOW a boat is operated and how much wake it puts out. Didn't we just have a discussion about "wake board" boats creating huge ones... well gee no kidding they are designed to be altered (bring onboard extra weight) combined with driving at just the right speed to create the perfect surfing wave. It has NOTHING to do with the size of the boat in that case and EVERTHING about how the boat is driven. I can easily kick up a 4 foot roller with my 19 foot bow rider so I guess my boat is to big too huh? Sorry we all don't want to canoe from Wolfeboro to Meredith!

2. So along your line of thinking however I propose if your idea was ever instituted we should by 20 fold increase the registration on the Mt Washington after all that sucker is HUGE and I mean that think leaves a tsuami behind it according to your logic. But lets not stop there, lets be sure to whack the mail boats surely the US Mail service can afford it (oh wait that's tax payer funded so of course they can - APS please be the first to stand in line to pay for your "fair share" of that one), and the YMCA boats, surely they can just jack up the already steep cost of attending summer camps. To hell with the parents of the kids that attend, many who can barely afford it and BTW many are inner city kids who without those camps would never have a chance to experience it. And finally the MP fleet and US BOAT tow boat they all need to get hammered too. Finally thanks for thinking of the small business guys like all the construction barges that are on the lake, I'm sure that won't hurt their bottom line either.

3. Then what to do with all this windfall of money? As is typical stick it in the general fund and spend it on something like studying the mating habits of butterflies. I love the liberal concept of fees like this... pat each other on the back for "doing something" but in reality it's a shake down for cash and the problem, well it's never solved.

Please any more brilliant ideas?

BTW APS looking at the pics of your dock, shame on you that is an awful lot of decking over the water, for somebody so concerned about the lake you certainly could do your part and rip that out and put in something that would meet today's standards. Don't forget to pay all those permitting fees too

So the ultimate solution then is use eminent domain to seize every piece of waterfront property close all boat ramps, put a big glass bubble over the entire lake and let everyone enjoy it from a distance and call it a federal wilderness area.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (09-04-2016), codeman671 (09-22-2016), DEJ (09-04-2016), Resident 2B (09-03-2016), RTTOOL (09-04-2016), steve c (09-22-2016), TiltonBB (09-04-2016), Winnisquamer (09-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
66WINN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Once again here we go....

1. Sure to some degree larger boats do produce large wakes but that is a rather dubious statement. So let's not be Clintonish about this and claim ignorance instead there is a DIRECT correlation between HOW a boat is operated and how much wake it puts out. Didn't we just have a discussion about "wake board" boats creating huge ones... well gee no kidding they are designed to be altered (bring onboard extra weight) combined with driving at just the right speed to create the perfect surfing wave. It has NOTHING to do with the size of the boat in that case and EVERTHING about how the boat is driven. I can easily kick up a 4 foot roller with my 19 foot bow rider so I guess my boat is to big too huh? Sorry we all don't want to canoe from Wolfeboro to Meredith!

2. So along your line of thinking however I propose if your idea was ever instituted we should by 20 fold increase the registration on the Mt Washington after all that sucker is HUGE and I mean that think leaves a tsuami behind it according to your logic. But lets not stop there, lets be sure to whack the mail boats surely the US Mail service can afford it (oh wait that's tax payer funded so of course they can - APS please be the first to stand in line to pay for your "fair share" of that one), and the YMCA boats, surely they can just jack up the already steep cost of attending summer camps. To hell with the parents of the kids that attend, many who can barely afford it and BTW many are inner city kids who without those camps would never have a chance to experience it. And finally the MP fleet and US BOAT tow boat they all need to get hammered too. Finally thanks for thinking of the small business guys like all the construction barges that are on the lake, I'm sure that won't hurt their bottom line either.

3. Then what to do with all this windfall of money? As is typical stick it in the general fund and spend it on something like studying the mating habits of butterflies. I love the liberal concept of fees like this... pat each other on the back for "doing something" but in reality it's a shake down for cash and the problem, well it's never solved.

Please any more brilliant ideas?

BTW APS looking at the pics of your dock, shame on you that is an awful lot of decking over the water, for somebody so concerned about the lake you certainly could do your part and rip that out and put in something that would meet today's standards. Don't forget to pay all those permitting fees too

So the ultimate solution then is use eminent domain to seize every piece of waterfront property close all boat ramps, put a big glass bubble over the entire lake and let everyone enjoy it from a distance and call it a federal wilderness area.
Don't give POTUS any ideas. Look what he did to Maine and Hawaii againt the local wishes
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
ursa minor

First, my guess is the Wolfeboro selectmen want to have a discussion on having an extended wake zone similar to what Meredith did a few years ago. Whether something like that is a good idea or not will likely be the subject of extensive debate. Personally, I don't think an extended NWZ will be as effective in Wolfeboro as it has been in Meredith. Wolfeboro bay is much wider and more exposed and in my opinion the NWZ would have to be out at the mouth of the bay to have the same calming effect at the docks. Don't think that most of us want to idle for 10-15 minutes in to the docks.

Second, way to rise to the bait of a well known / well worn agenda fellas. Time to stop feeding it guys, it's the same things time after time, year after year after year. We've all heard it many, many times, ignore the noise and excessive emoticons and maybe it will stop.

Finally: APS / Madrasas or whatever you're going by these days, honestly we get that you like sailboats and wake free boats. I like sailing and kayaking too but it's not 1965 anymore and on weekends there are a lot more people enjoying the lake than there were 30/40/50 years ago. I'm pretty sure you get to enjoy the lake during the week, most of us don't. Take advantage of that gift and please learn to live and let live on the weekends. If you can't, perhaps it's time to consider relocating to a smaller lake that doesn't allow powerboats. Sorry but I've been reading versions of this same rant for at least the last 10 years, please understand that it turns even the most patient members off after a while.
bigpatsfan (09-04-2016), BroadHopper (09-05-2016), chipj29 (09-04-2016), DEJ (09-04-2016), HellRaZoR004 (09-03-2016), RTTOOL (09-04-2016), TiltonBB (09-04-2016), Winnigirl (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...committee.html

Looks like a number of issues came up. A can of worms if you will.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #9
ApS

Arrow So It's Not the Wind, After All...

While it's not Wolfeboro Bay, adjacent Winter Harbor has recently sprung a number of boat lifts and breakwaters.

Those new breakwaters and boat lifts are located on Winter Harbor's least windy shoreline!

Truly a vicious cycle...

Old 10-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
DBreskin

Default Update

For those interested, the minutes from the initial meeting of the 2016 Adhoc Committee on Town Docks in Wolfeboro can be found here: http://www.wolfeboronh.us/sites/wolf...es_9-14-16.pdf

With regard to the possibility of an extended no-wake zone in Wolfeboro bay, the meeting minutes include the following:

"A lengthy discussion followed concerning the letter sent to the Board of Selectmen by resident John Ratcliffe, who proposed an extended “No Wake” zone in Wolfeboro Bay. Dave Owen noted that he had tried to follow up with the NH Marine Patrol to see about getting more “No Wake” zone buoys to mark the existing, statutory no wake zone, but that the Captain of the Marine Patrol was on vacation. It was agreed to continue discussion about this issue in the future.

It was agreed that the next meeting of the Committee will be on Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 9 AM. The meeting adjourned at 10:15 AM."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-04-2016), HellRaZoR004 (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
rowinghelmet

Sounds like some folks over at WCYC are one of the major drivers of this.

Here's a quote from some of the coverage-

"One afternoon recently I watched one wave large enough to throw my 34' boat and neighboring cruiser into the docks at [the Corinthian Yacht Club], hard enough to damage my own boat, which had two whips and a weighed offshore line run to a mooring block."

From http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...committee.html

The condos adjacent to town and the WCYC seem like the only docks that would benefit from this. I've never noticed waves hitting Dive Winnipesaukee or Brewster.
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Could someone please explain why conditions on Lake Wentworth and Crescent Lake are germane to the issue of an extended no wake zone in Wolfeboro Bay. Obviously, I'm missing something.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-25-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Could someone please explain why conditions on Lake Wentworth and Crescent Lake are germane to the issue of an extended no wake zone in Wolfeboro Bay. Obviously, I'm missing something.
The article is really not well written.... Apparently no body checks facts any more... The Speed limit on the lake is not 40 m.p.h as indicated in the article....
That in and of it self should shed some light on Mr. Radcliffes true opinions....

This summer I ventured into Wolfeboro bay for the first time in several years... yes it is rough, when it is busy... but no worse then other area's of the lake... If these NWZ are continue to be allowed to pass... before we know it its going to be NWZ from the wiers out to Eagle Island.

I really don't like what I am seeing going on in regards to legislation on the lake...... Especially because none if it seems to really help... it just leads to new complaints....
BroadHopper (10-05-2016), noreast (10-05-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
noreast

Today I watched 2 A-holes race at 45 (or more) MPH to the NWZ in Wolfeboro, Passing 3 others cruising in. Came off plane right at the buoy. Regulations are usually caused by the few That are far more Important in there own minds. Where doomed, We will continue to be treated like children because we act like children.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Today I watched 2 A-holes race at 45 (or more) MPH to the NWZ in Wolfeboro, Passing 3 others cruising in. Came off plane right at the buoy. Regulations are usually caused by the few That are far more Important in there own minds. Where doomed, We will continue to be treated like children because we act like children.
So two boats who were going max allowable speed came off plane and slowed down at the no wake buoy....what am I missing here??
DBreskin (10-08-2016), Pineedles (10-08-2016), Resident 2B (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
So two boats who were going max allowable speed came off plane and slowed down at the no wake buoy....what am I missing here??
The part where the other 3 boats in front of them, who realized what was happening, then it turns into a 5 boat race to get the few spots available. Now it's understandable why the businesses may want to extend the NWZ. If everyone acts like a jerk, next we'll have to have someone floating giving out #'s to use the dock.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Winnisquamer

Quote:
The part where the other 3 boats in front of them, who realized what was happening, then it turns into a 5 boat race to get the few spots available. Now it's understandable why the businesses may want to extend the NWZ. If everyone acts like a jerk, next we'll have to have someone floating giving out #'s to use the dock.

So no one is allowed to pass anyone anymore either? Were laws broken? You must exchange words with people in parking lots who park in the spot you had your eyes on too huh
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
So no one is allowed to pass anyone anymore either? Were laws broken? You must exchange words with people in parking lots who park in the spot you had your eyes on too huh
I don't have a problem with laws being broken. I'm more concerned with the unwritten laws of society. For example; It's not Illegal to not give up you're seat on a train when a woman or someone who needs it walks in. when you're in a grocery store do you run past people to get in line, You can, It's not against the rules. Some things just make you a dick, even if there allowed. By the way, someone did exchange words on the dock, and they had every right to. My wife and I watched the whole thing go from water to land. You must be one of those passive aggressive type who steal a parking lot and act like you did nothing wrong when words are exchanged.
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #19
Winnisquamer

Quote:
I don't have a problem with laws being broken. I'm more concerned with the unwritten laws of society. For example; It's not Illegal to not give up you're seat on a train when a woman or someone who needs it walks in. when you're in a grocery store do you run past people to get in line, You can, It's not against the rules. Some things just make you a dick, even if there allowed. By the way, someone did exchange words on the dock, and they had every right to. My wife and I watched the whole thing go from water to land. You must be one of those passive aggressive type who steal a parking lot and act like you did nothing wrong when words are exchanged.
I'm one of those people who enjoys his life I don't spend half my day complaining to a bunch of strangers on the Internet about other people enjoying themselves.. Have a glass of wine a beer or whatever your vice is and try to have some fun for once. Otherwise there is an entire Facebook page for people like you they call it the I complain about boating on Winnipesaukee

I joined this forum to learn about the area and to learn tips and tricks about Winnipesaukee as well, yet all I've seen in the three or four years I've been a member is that you're really not allowed to do anything at all for fear of somebody like you will complain about it

Keep bantering if you want to I'll be out on the lake enjoying myself today
Old 10-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #20
kawishiwi

Default Soooo sorry to see you go....

Quote:
I'm one of those people who enjoys his life I don't spend half my day complaining to a bunch of strangers on the Internet about other people enjoying themselves.. Have a glass of wine a beer or whatever your vice is and try to have some fun for once. Otherwise there is an entire Facebook page for people like you they call it the I complain about boating on Winnipesaukee

I joined this forum to learn about the area and to learn tips and tricks about Winnipesaukee as well, yet all I've seen in the three or four years I've been a member is that you're really not allowed to do anything at all for fear of somebody like you will complain about it

I am so sorry to see you go Winnisquamer. Certainly after four years, FOUR YEARS, of "... I've been a member is that you're really not allowed to do anything at all for fear of somebody like you will complain about it" , you will obviously be leaving this forum that has offended you so deeply and disappointed you so thoroughly.

Maybe you can start your own site..."I blindly defend a$$holes on Winnipesaukee"
There are a handfull of current forum members that would certainly follow you there.
Think about it, you would be making yourselves AND all the rest of us much happier!
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
noreast (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
noreast

Quote:

I would actually love to see everyone enjoy the lake the way it is, But things will change for the worse due to people like you. More NWZ & NRZ Are sure to come. Also, The people on that page aren't actually complaining about the lake, A little reading comprehension could go a long way. You continue to stick up for the dick's, and I'll complain about them when I see em. I enjoy everyday, Luckily there's enough room in my brain space for both. I can complain about you while having a great time.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #22
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I am so sorry to see you go Winnisquamer. Certainly after four years, FOUR YEARS, of "... I've been a member is that you're really not allowed to do anything at all for fear of somebody like you will complain about it" , you will obviously be leaving this forum that has offended you so deeply and disappointed you so thoroughly.

Maybe you can start your own site..."I blindly defend a$$holes on Winnipesaukee"
There are a handfull of current forum members that would certainly follow you there.
Think about it, you would be making yourselves AND all the rest of us much happier!
Even OJ had a lawyer. There's always Someone that will defend anyone.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
kawishiwi

Quote:
I'm one of those people who enjoys his life I don't spend half my day complaining to a bunch of strangers on the Internet about other people ...
Hmmmm...Posted @ 2:39 pm? Actually it appears that you do exactly that!
Old 10-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
kawishiwi

Default $

Quote:
Even OJ had a lawyer. There's always Someone that will defend anyone.
His lawyers were paid millions. You apparently work pro bono?
Old 10-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #25
DBreskin

Is it possible to stick to the topic?
Old 10-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #26
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
His lawyers were paid millions. You apparently work pro bono?
HEY,You got the wrong guy! He's the criminal defense lawyer, I'm the key pad SJW, defending the Innocent from rude entitlement, 1 click at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Is it possible to stick to the topic?
Germaine to the topic is why would a NWZ extension be needed. I was just giving an example of what I saw that would put me in the shoes of those pushing for it. Which I would be against. But I also will defend myself when called out, That's all. But, topics do expand as issue's are brought up.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #28
Winnisquamer

Boo hoo whine whine whine is all I read.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #29
kawishiwi

Default Yup

Quote:
Boo hoo whine whine whine is all I read.
Yup, we all know Winnisquamer, we all know.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
kawishiwi

Default Pardon me

Quote:
HEY,You got the wrong guy! He's the criminal defense lawyer, I'm the key pad SJW, defending the Innocent from rude entitlement, 1 click at a time.
I am guilty as charged, sorry.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #31
NoBozo

It looks like KAWISIWI likes to stir the pot.... rather than have a conversation. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #32
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
It looks like KAWISIWI likes to stir the pot.... rather than have a conversation. NB
Based on some of your responses to the hurricane thread; pot meet kettle!
gillygirl (10-08-2016), kawishiwi (10-08-2016), noreast (10-09-2016), secondcurve (10-09-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #33
kawishiwi

Default Mostly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I have been known to point out absurdity in posts. The pot is already stirring but when BS is added I occasionally point that out. Thats a conversation, no?
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
noreast (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #34
beagle

Quote:
So the complaint is about people behaving badly. I agree it happens too often these days. But the thread has taken the same direction. Let's just all try to be polite to others both in person and online.

This thread should be closed for comment imo.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #35
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post

So the complaint is about people behaving badly. I agree it happens too often these days. But the thread has taken the same direction. Let's just all try to be polite to others both in person and online.

I agree that commenters could be more courteous (and perhaps some boaters could be as well), but I don't think the post should be closed. The opening topic is still worthy of people's attention and discussion.

If the discourse offends you too much you can avoid reading the posts.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #36
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post

No, the complaint was pointing out behavior that's not illegal but still has ramifications for we lake-lovers: lakefront owners attempting to minimize damage and frustration by expanding no-wake (and in other situations, no-rafting) zones such as the one proposed in Wolfeboro.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (10-11-2016), noreast (10-09-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #37
SIKSUKR

OK I'll bite. An extended NWZ will do nothing to alleviate the most recent incident comment being slapped about.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #38
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
OK I'll bite.An extended NWZ will do nothing to alleviate the most recent incident comment being slapped about.
You're right, It will just happen further away from who ever may be pushing for it. I was more interested in the human interaction, didn't pay attention to the wake.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #39
ApS

Arrow "In Before Milfoil"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
• As we have learned here, a boat pushes a lot of water. Both speeding-up and slowing-down make for huge wakes crashing ashore. Boats over 24' can make (or "carve") damaging wakes, while pontoon boats of any size are Winnipesaukee-friendly.

I think the "jury is still out" on "Wake-boats" and "Wake-surfing". While they do exhibit a big "apparent" wake, that wake seems to self-cancel before hitting shore.

• A renter next door had a unique way of approaching the dock with his Malibu-type ski boat. He makes a complete circle before attempting to dock, and that somehow "erases" the effects of difficult docking—for him.

(Not recommending "circling" here—just an observation).

• I see the recent surge to pontoon boats as a positive effect for keeping existing tree-lines standing and Winnipesaukee's shoreline on shore. Shoreline residents are finding that mooring whips, boat lifts and new breakwaters are becoming absolute necessities. (Even where Mother Nature had never been a factor).

• As for sailboats: most people haven't experienced the effect of motoring out of a harbor, raising the sails, and suddenly finding that shutting off the engine changes the whole experience of boating itself.

• The slow demise of Winnipesaukee's summer camps isn't helping to "spread the word" to a quieter, responsible, and relaxing boating experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
First, my guess is the Wolfeboro selectmen want to have a discussion on having an extended wake zone similar to what Meredith did a few years ago. Whether something like that is a good idea or not will likely be the subject of extensive debate. Personally, I don't think an extended NWZ will be as effective in Wolfeboro as it has been in Meredith. Wolfeboro bay is much wider and more exposed and in my opinion the NWZ would have to be out at the mouth of the bay to have the same calming effect at the docks. Don't think that most of us want to idle for 10-15 minutes in to the docks.

Second, way to rise to the bait of a well known / well worn agenda fellas. Time to stop feeding it guys, it's the same things time after time, year after year after year. We've all heard it many, many times, ignore the noise and excessive emoticons and maybe it will stop.

Finally: ...honestly we get that you like sailboats and wake free boats. I like sailing and kayaking too but it's not 1965 anymore and on weekends there are a lot more people enjoying the lake than there were 30/40/50 years ago. I'm pretty sure you get to enjoy the lake during the week, most of us don't. Take advantage of that gift and please learn to live and let live on the weekends. If you can't, perhaps it's time to consider relocating to a smaller lake that doesn't allow powerboats. Sorry but I've been reading versions of this same rant for at least the last 10 years, please understand that it turns even the most patient members off after a while.
What keeps me here in The Lakes Region is a very long list of memories.

I've been on Lake Winnipesaukee so long, I remember "The Village Dining Room", Camp Wyanoke, dialing "6" for my doctor—and when there was no Duck Itch or Milfoil. (And a neighbor's 19' inboard as a powerful "clinker-built" boat).

But perhaps you're right: when I visit places I've formerly called home, most have steadily gone downhill. Clear-cuts, shuttered shops, traffic jams, crooked politicians, "ridge development", pawn shops and highway billboards proclaiming "Had an accident?" have become commonplace.

It's just that The Lakes Region has experienced the slowest decline of any place I've lived—and that keeps me here.

DBreskin (10-27-2016), Electric man (10-27-2016), FlyingScot (10-27-2016), Hillcountry (10-27-2016), HomeWood (11-02-2016), ishoot308 (10-27-2016), noreast (10-27-2016)