Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
oldflounder

Default Winter dive sites in Lakes Region

I would like to get a list together of open water dive sites that are frequented in the winter during ice in. On the contrary, I would like to know if no one dives the region in mid-winter. I know there are occasional ice-dive classes that are held and salvage work, but does anyone get out and do recreational dives or is there an ice dive club?

I have a few places I go - or would like to go - when the ocean is mean:

1. Center Harbor Town Docks - open water against docks and the Mount - great place to practice the skills and test out equipment and undergarments - 10-12'

2. Wolfeboro Town Docks - open water against docks - shore entry does ice up though so you would need a 12' ladder to use at the ends of the docks - 10-12' - lots of open water off ends of docks.

3. Opeeche/at beginning river boat ramp - open water against ramp-shallow- easy entry - good place to test equipment and undergarments - 6-8'.

4. future site - as yet to be investigated - new state boat ramp in Alton Bay [Dalton's Landing?]

5. Meredith Town Docks - haven't dove there but there is a lot of open water against the docks this year. It will probably ice up a lot more when they turn off the pumps for the ice derby.

6. Weirs Docks - I don't know about the availability of this area for divers in the winter. Shore access might be all privately owned and diver access discouraged. Would be a good site to do treasure hunting when the boat traffic has gone away.

Do you know of other sites that may be accessible for divers that don't want to spend the bulk of the day preparing the site and shovelling snow?
oldflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
oldflounder

Default Center Harbor Town Docks

Today was too rough at the ocean and too cold at the Lake so I drove around taking pictures all afternoon. This is the best place I have found so far to practice ice water diving skills and test equipment.

Disclaimer: I am talking about open water/ice water diving only. This is not a place to go under the ice unless you are ice dive certified and follow proper procedures, etc.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflounder View Post
I would like to get a list together of open water dive sites that are frequented in the winter during ice in. On the contrary, I would like to know if no one dives the region in mid-winter. I know there are occasional ice-dive classes that are held and salvage work, but does anyone get out and do recreational dives or is there an ice dive club?

I have a few places I go - or would like to go - when the ocean is mean:

1. Center Harbor Town Docks - open water against docks and the Mount - great place to practice the skills and test out equipment and undergarments - 10-12'

2. Wolfeboro Town Docks - open water against docks - shore entry does ice up though so you would need a 12' ladder to use at the ends of the docks - 10-12' - lots of open water off ends of docks.

3. Opeeche/at beginning river boat ramp - open water against ramp-shallow- easy entry - good place to test equipment and undergarments - 6-8'.

4. future site - as yet to be investigated - new state boat ramp in Alton Bay [Dalton's Landing?]

5. Meredith Town Docks - haven't dove there but there is a lot of open water against the docks this year. It will probably ice up a lot more when they turn off the pumps for the ice derby.

6. Weirs Docks - I don't know about the availability of this area for divers in the winter. Shore access might be all privately owned and diver access discouraged. Would be a good site to do treasure hunting when the boat traffic has gone away.

Do you know of other sites that may be accessible for divers that don't want to spend the bulk of the day preparing the site and shovelling snow?
4) Downings landing. If you dive around the dock where the gas pumps were you may find a Nickle or two.. From change dropped through the docks from over many, many years!
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
oldflounder (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
oldflounder

Next month I hope to get over that way, once the ice fishing derby is over. Has the State done anything with it yet? Are the circulators working at the docks? I am afraid any nickles lost through the cracks were buried in deep silt a long time ago.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflounder View Post
Next month I hope to get over that way, once the ice fishing derby is over. Has the State done anything with it yet? Are the circulators working at the docks? I am afraid any nickles lost through the cracks were buried in deep silt a long time ago.
There are no circulators, never have been. And it's too late this year.

Yah I'm sure that silt is measured it feet, not inches. Especially the location and current through there.. It bet ther is hundreds of dollars if not more down there, and a gas cap or two!
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links