Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Moultonborough Town Meeting

I would like to encourage...no BEG...Moultonborough residents who are against Article 6 ($6.7 million rec. center) to attend Town Meeting tomorrow, June 20, at the Sandwich fairgrounds. The final Selectboard meeting was last night, and Town Moderator refuses to postpone the event, despite countless emails and letters imploring him to postpone the meeting. Seniors are concerned about Covid-19, plus the unbelievable heat and humidity forecast for tomorrow, plus questionable sanitary facilities, porta potties, at our disposal. This entire situation is an outrage, fostered by the people who are desperate for this rec. center, ignoring the dangers to the health and well being of everyone, particularly the elderly and those with health problems. It’s another example of the ME generation, going after what they want, regardless of the dangers to others. GO and VOTE NO on Article 6!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
phoenix

I assume this to pass would need a 2/3 vote.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Yes, that’s correct, but many seniors are planning to skip the meeting because of Covid, the heat/humidity and the lack of adequate sanitary facilities. Therefore, there’s a very real probability that the younger voters will finally get their way, and the senior and waterfront owners will get the bulk of the bill. It’s a hideous and unfair situation. I think that many people who are not in favor of the rec. center (myself included) could accept the results either way if so many worried seniors were not going to be disenfranchised.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
longislander

Article 5, Community Center for $3 million, and article 6 Community Center plus gym for $6.7 million need 2/3rds yes votes to pass.

The last gasp attempt has been to "table" both articles till next year, or when there will be more representation, attendance. A motion to table, only takes a simple majority and can be made by any voter.

The final select board meeting of last night was also the meeting that the Chair of the Select Board resigned, because of the turmoil of pro and con of this, and the select board decision cancelling recreation programs for the summer. There was an uproar about this. Probably the proponents of article 6. The select board voted to request the moderator to postpone the meeting, at the previous meeting, and reiterated last night.

The moderator set the date several weeks ago, after, at least, three cancellations because of the governor's emergency orders. The moderator is damned if he does, or doesn't, postpone the meeting. Opponents of article six demand it be postponed. If he does, proponents of article 6 would probably bring court action. There has already been written request to the select board to bring court action against the moderator to postpone.

Expecting the petitioned article 6 proponents to "table" the article is a bit much. Will there be a 2/3rds majority of the proponents of article 6... likely, and the same majority that will reject article 5.

The wife and I (in our seventies) will be there, and vote NO!
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
winni83

In my opinion, the Moultonborough Town Moderator is a shill for the proponents of Article 6 and those who feel that the Moultonborough Recreation Department is part of the Holy Trinity. Look at his Blog and Facebook posts and his history as a Selectman in Moultonborough.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
In my opinion, the Moultonborough Town Moderator is a shill for the proponents of Article 6 and those who feel that the Moultonborough Recreation Department is part of the Holy Trinity. Look at his Blog and Facebook posts and his history as a Selectman in Moultonborough.
We couldn’t agree more! It’s just plain criminal that he, as Moderator, is clearly so biased toward the rec. department and has the power to run (ruin) the show. Very distressing situation.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
longislander

Announced this afternoon:

Quote:
The Town Moderator announces the postponement of the 2020 Town Meeting scheduled for June 20th 2020 to June 29th 2020 at 4:00pm at the Moultonborough Academy. The School District meeting will be held as scheduled at 9:00am at the Sandwich Fairgrounds.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Shipfitter

Looks like School Meeting is on and town meeting is rescheduled to June 29
Shipfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
longislander

Moderator:

Quote:
Due to threat of pending litigation, I will have to postpone town meeting once again. The new date will be Monday June 29th 2020 at 4pm at Moultonborough Academy.

School district meeting has not been cancelled and will occur as planned at 9am tomorrow morning at the Sandwich Fairgrounds.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
winni83

I find it very odd that in his post on his infamous Blog, the Town Moderator makes reference to a threat of pending litigation, yet there is no such reference on the Town Website announcement nor in the E Mail from the Town.

Pandering to his base perhaps?

Litigation is either pending or threatened. There is no such thing as "Due to threat of pending litigation..." [Quote from his Blog]

Last edited by winni83; 06-19-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Tell your friends and neighbors

June 29th at 4 P.M. at Moultonborough Academy is a huge improvement! The place will very likely be packed so I don’t know how they’re going to handle social distancing, but we’ll have air conditioning and actual indoor plumbing. In case any of your friends, neighbors don’t get Moultonborough email blast, please let them know about the change, and encourage them to please come the 29th to vote against this colossal waste of taxpayer money.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Shipfitter

I see all the snowflakes are melting over on the blog
Shipfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Might have to be postponed again.

Stay tuned, everyone. It’s possible that there might have to be another delay. I will report anything we find out.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
Lakegeezer

Default Nefarious forces at play

Seems like the practice of voter manipulation is going strong. Don't like it outside on a June day, forecast to be in the mid-80's? File a law suit. Instead, let's have it indoors at 4PM on a Monday. Moultonboro hasn't had many cases and perhaps this will fix that. Those trying to avoid large indoor crowds will be sure to stay at home and those with a job can stay away too. How many super-spreaders exercising their liberty to not wear a mask will be at the meeting? People that use voter suppression techniques disgust me. Is it too late to sneak a SB2 question on the ballot?
Old 06-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #15
longislander

Quote:
Due to threat of pending litigation, I will have to postpone town meeting once again. The new date will be Monday June 29th 2020 at 4pm at Moultonborough Academy.

Litigation is probably not the correct word. It would presume a contest between individuals, outcome to be determined by a judge or jury.

"Legal action" might be more appropriate.

Example might be an ex parte order, like a restraining order ... to not hold a meeting because of ...

Legal dictionary:
Ex parte: Latin meaning "for one party," referring to motions, hearings or orders granted on the request of and for the benefit of one party only. ... Ex parte matters are usually temporary orders (like a restraining order or temporary custody) pending a formal hearing.

No need for a hearing, the meeting date and time were changed.

I'm wondering if the 4:00pm meeting at Moultonborough Academy on the 29th is inside. Nothing stated. Maybe it will be on the outside Moultonborough Academy school property, called for in article 6! Jesting a bit. Maybe not!

I didn't attend the meeting at the fairgrounds today, but did hear about the possibility of another legal action. If it's from the same source, it will fail, and do not believe, now, it will even be attempted.

I'm all for SB2, especially now that the law changed last year, and now must be voted in, at town meeting instead of the official ballot (so-called Australian ballot). Couldn't be done for this meeting. Warrant is out and publicized. No changes that affect intent of the article.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #16
TheProfessor

Taken from Moultonboro Speaks

"ERIC TAUSSIG, MARLENE TAUSSIG, AND OTHER MOULTONBOROUGH REGISTERED VOTERS, PETITIONERS
v.
PAUL PUNTURIERI, MODERATOR, TOWN OF MOULTONBOROUGH, RESPONDENT"

Have no idea what any of this means. Do not know any of the involved.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #17
longislander

See today's Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...4a869c61d.html