Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
HAMPTONS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Laconia and Burlington MA
Posts: 19
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default House Painter

Looking for recommendations for painting the outside of a house in Laconia.
Thanks
HAMPTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 692
Thanks: 254
Thanked 549 Times in 238 Posts
Default Forrest Noe & Sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTONS View Post
Looking for recommendations for painting the outside of a house in Laconia.
Thanks
Call Sean at Forrest Noe & Sons. They are the BEST painters in the area. Sean can be reached at 455-8370.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
Rockslider
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Last summer, based on the identical post, which appears every time a question is raised about painting, I called the Forrest Noe Co. and spoke with Sean. It was a Thursday, I believe. He said he would call me on the following Tuesday morning to let me know what time he would arrive on Tuesday afternoon for an estimate. I supplied all my contact information...cleared my schedule for the day... spent the entire beautiful summer day waiting around in a hot house... and I am still waiting. No call, no text, no show. I have no doubt that he's a good painter -- but I hope you have a better experience than I did. Just presenting the other side of the story.
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockslider For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (02-21-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 448
Thanks: 96
Thanked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Had the same experience with both plumbers and electrician. Par for the course around these parts. Question, how large a home are you looking to get painted? Paint or stain work?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 52
Thanks: 13
Thanked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Default The Un-Professionals

So amazing to me that as a general rule, many trade contractors are notorious for terrible customer service. I mean, why don't they return calls or show up? If they're too busy, then simply say so or put a message advising such on their answering machine. Not doing so is selfish, unprofessional, rude and a dumb business decision. Plus, they give the construction industry a bad rap. I wish more contractors would realize that they're missing an opportunity to stand out in a crowd. Provide an unfailingly great customer experience and expect in return to have quality work regardless of the state of the economy. I will gladly pay more dollars to someone I know is professional, responsive and will meet their commitments - plus do good work of course. Those are the contractors I'll just give work to without going out for competitive bids. It's a no hassle and stress free effort for me.

There are exceptions of course. Several contractors that have done work on our home in CT are there repeatedly because of the great experience they provide. Our exterior house painter isn't cheap. But he tells it like it is - he's either available or he isn't and he makes no bones about being clear on that point. He does great work but is booked out two years in advance. I spoke to him on Sunday. He's said in no uncertain terms that he's booked all this year (interior and exterior work) and he's already got four houses (including ours now) booked for 2021. There's a reason why. People trust him, he's reliable, they know he does great work, and most of all, he doesn't BS anyone.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
djwade4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 70
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTONS View Post
Looking for recommendations for painting the outside of a house in Laconia.

Thanks
Please call me. Doug wade. Bluebird construction. Good contractors are very busy. Give me a call and I can help you with my painter. It my be the middle of the summer but you will have a good painter. To me that means a lot. 603-770-3677


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
djwade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djwade4 For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (02-21-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 448
Thanks: 96
Thanked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
So amazing to me that as a general rule, many trade contractors are notorious for terrible customer service. I mean, why don't they return calls or show up? If they're too busy, then simply say so or put a message advising such on their answering machine. Not doing so is selfish, unprofessional, rude and a dumb business decision. Plus, they give the construction industry a bad rap. I wish more contractors would realize that they're missing an opportunity to stand out in a crowd. Provide an unfailingly great customer experience and expect in return to have quality work regardless of the state of the economy. I will gladly pay more dollars to someone I know is professional, responsive and will meet their commitments - plus do good work of course. Those are the contractors I'll just give work to without going out for competitive bids. It's a no hassle and stress free effort for me.

There are exceptions of course. Several contractors that have done work on our home in CT are there repeatedly because of the great experience they provide. Our exterior house painter isn't cheap. But he tells it like it is - he's either available or he isn't and he makes no bones about being clear on that point. He does great work but is booked out two years in advance. I spoke to him on Sunday. He's said in no uncertain terms that he's booked all this year (interior and exterior work) and he's already got four houses (including ours now) booked for 2021. There's a reason why. People trust him, he's reliable, they know he does great work, and most of all, he doesn't BS anyone.
To their credit, most of the trades people in this area are one or two person shops. Given estimates takes time away from earning. It’s not a excuse for not returning a message, but I always like to ask about their availability before I get to involved. Then their is this forum and Yelp if you need to shame someone


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 692
Thanks: 254
Thanked 549 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
Last summer, based on the identical post, which appears every time a question is raised about painting, I called the Forrest Noe Co. and spoke with Sean. It was a Thursday, I believe. He said he would call me on the following Tuesday morning to let me know what time he would arrive on Tuesday afternoon for an estimate. I supplied all my contact information...cleared my schedule for the day... spent the entire beautiful summer day waiting around in a hot house... and I am still waiting. No call, no text, no show. I have no doubt that he's a good painter -- but I hope you have a better experience than I did. Just presenting the other side of the story.
I am sorry that was your experience. Did you at least try calling on Tuesday? As has been stated, contractors, especially good contractors, are being pulled in a million directions. I am not defending him not calling or getting back to you, but a gentle reminder may have yielded better results.

Notwithstanding, Sean and his crew provide high-quality work and stand behind it.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
HAMPTONS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Laconia and Burlington MA
Posts: 19
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Had the same experience with both plumbers and electrician. Par for the course around these parts. Question, how large a home are you looking to get painted? Paint or stain work?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
About 2000 sq feet
Paint
HAMPTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 405
Thanks: 42
Thanked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Default

We have had great success finding contractors on HomeAdvisor. Both here in NH and also in MA. Found a great electrician here at the lake.

_______________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,794
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 207
Thanked 571 Times in 429 Posts
Default .... can we paint today?

It seems like the weather plays a big role with exterior painting. Is a big difference between inside and outside painting. During the months of May, June, July, and August there are many days when it's either too humid or raining for painting outside. So, when a good painting day comes along, the painter needs to hit it hard, putting in the hours on the job, using the good painting weather to get it painted.

Probably, half the days in May, June, July and August are no good for exterior painting which really messes with the the on-the-job, painter get-it-done schedule. Outside painting is all about the weather?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #12
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 250
Thanks: 44
Thanked 84 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
Last summer, based on the identical post, which appears every time a question is raised about painting, I called the Forrest Noe Co. and spoke with Sean. It was a Thursday, I believe. He said he would call me on the following Tuesday morning to let me know what time he would arrive on Tuesday afternoon for an estimate. I supplied all my contact information...cleared my schedule for the day... spent the entire beautiful summer day waiting around in a hot house... and I am still waiting. No call, no text, no show. I have no doubt that he's a good painter -- but I hope you have a better experience than I did. Just presenting the other side of the story.
This is a good argument for Vinyl Siding. Although getting a price for Vinyl Siding may also be an issue, but at least you won't have to repeat it every few years!

Best of luck!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
HAMPTONS (02-23-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,637
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 482 Times in 342 Posts
Wink Promise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
Last summer, based on the identical post, which appears every time a question is raised about painting, I called the Forrest Noe Co. and spoke with Sean. It was a Thursday, I believe. He said he would call me on the following Tuesday morning to let me know what time he would arrive on Tuesday afternoon for an estimate. I supplied all my contact information...cleared my schedule for the day... spent the entire beautiful summer day waiting around in a hot house... and I am still waiting. no call, no text, no show. I have no doubt that he's a good painter -- but I hope you have a better experience than I did. Just presenting the other side of the story.
I got a chuckle when an electrician handed me his card:
Attached Images
 
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
HAMPTONS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Laconia and Burlington MA
Posts: 19
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Call Sean at Forrest Noe & Sons. They are the BEST painters in the area. Sean can be reached at 455-8370.
Never returned my call
HAMPTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,461
Thanks: 137
Thanked 220 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Hmmm Doug answers a lot of posts here which is good (I think.) Or... Does he have endless time to which means not much "real work" out there for him. Has anyone used Doug, know anything about him? Just curious may have some work in 2020 yeah I want someone responsive but quality work and good knowledge is probably more important.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #16
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 692
Thanks: 254
Thanked 549 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTONS View Post
Never returned my call
I urge you to try again. He is scheduled until September, with a crew approaching 20, so he's busier than a one-armed paperhanger. (I couldn't resist.)

I will see him Saturday, so I'll explain the situation to him.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #17
HAMPTONS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Laconia and Burlington MA
Posts: 19
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I urge you to try again. He is scheduled until September, with a crew approaching 20, so he's busier than a one-armed paperhanger. (I couldn't resist.)

I will see him Saturday, so I'll explain the situation to him.
I have already contracted with someone else (returned my call within a day)
I will follow up with a recommendation after completion of project. I would always hesitate to work with someone I had to chase to call me back.
HAMPTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #18
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 692
Thanks: 254
Thanked 549 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTONS View Post
I have already contracted with someone else (returned my call within a day)
I will follow up with a recommendation after completion of project. I would always hesitate to work with someone I had to chase to call me back.
I understand your frustration. I spoke with Sean and he does not recall missing a call. He asked you to call again, but it seems you made a decision.

A nickel's worth of free advice -- I would avoid going with someone who has a lot of free time. Given today's market, that would be a red flag that they aren't that good. Good luck!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.11501 seconds