Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Pineedles
Senior Member
 
Pineedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Moultonborough & CT
Posts: 2,514
Thanks: 1,016
Thanked 632 Times in 355 Posts
Default 150’ Rule Applies to Rafts Too

I’m sitting on my porch watching boats speed by my lakefront within 150’ of our raft and buoy. I assume these boaters are ignorant of the rule, and think it applies only to the shoreline or other boats.

My children and grandchildren are swimming off the raft and god forbid they venture out any further. If the Marine patrol isn’t occupied elsewhere I suggest they spend some time in Center Harbor bay and have a look for themselves. I do see them here on occasion but this weekend it’s worse then ever.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

We haven't ventured past Moultonborough Bay today (yet), but it's easily the busiest day we've seen in seven summers from MB north.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I’m sitting on my porch watching boats speed by my lakefront within 150’ of our raft and buoy. I assume these boaters are ignorant of the rule, and think it applies only to the shoreline or other boats.

My children and grandchildren are swimming off the raft and god forbid they venture out any further. If the Marine patrol isn’t occupied elsewhere I suggest they spend some time in Center Harbor bay and have a look for themselves. I do see them here on occasion but this weekend it’s worse then ever.
It does only apply to the shore and other boats.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,140
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,889
Thanked 1,673 Times in 929 Posts
Default From the RSAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
It does only apply to the shore and other boats.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Not so, GG.

Dave

270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water. –
I. Vessels shall be operated at headway speed only, while passing under all bridges.
II. (a) It shall be the duty of each vessel to keep to the right when vessels are approaching each other head on.
(b) When the courses of vessels are so far to the starboard of each other as not to be considered as approaching head on, they shall keep to the left.
III. When vessels are crossing courses or approaching each other in an oblique direction which may involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way of the other, allowing the latter vessel to keep its course and speed.
IV. When vessels are running in the same direction and the vessel which is astern desires to pass the other, it shall do so only when sufficient distance between the vessels is available to avoid danger of collision, and at such a speed that its wake will not endanger the boat being passed or its occupants. No person operating a vessel shall abruptly change its course without first determining that it can safely be done without crossing immediately ahead of another vessel.
V. If, when vessels are approaching each other, either vessel fails to understand the course or intention of the other from any cause, such vessel or vessels shall immediately slow to a speed barely sufficient for steerage until the vessels have safely passed each other. If it appears the danger of collision is imminent both vessels shall stop or reverse and not proceed until such danger has been averted.
VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Island-Ho (07-05-2020), JerseyGuy (07-06-2020), Marauder (07-12-2020), Old Sarge (08-16-2020), Pineedles (07-04-2020), Top-Water (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 619
Thanked 451 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Even worse on the rafts are the parents who pull their kids well within 150'. I see at my house every weekend
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Not so, GG.

Dave

270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water. –

I. Vessels shall be operated at headway speed only, while passing under all bridges.

II. (a) It shall be the duty of each vessel to keep to the right when vessels are approaching each other head on.

(b) When the courses of vessels are so far to the starboard of each other as not to be considered as approaching head on, they shall keep to the left.

III. When vessels are crossing courses or approaching each other in an oblique direction which may involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way of the other, allowing the latter vessel to keep its course and speed.

IV. When vessels are running in the same direction and the vessel which is astern desires to pass the other, it shall do so only when sufficient distance between the vessels is available to avoid danger of collision, and at such a speed that its wake will not endanger the boat being passed or its occupants. No person operating a vessel shall abruptly change its course without first determining that it can safely be done without crossing immediately ahead of another vessel.

V. If, when vessels are approaching each other, either vessel fails to understand the course or intention of the other from any cause, such vessel or vessels shall immediately slow to a speed barely sufficient for steerage until the vessels have safely passed each other. If it appears the danger of collision is imminent both vessels shall stop or reverse and not proceed until such danger has been averted.

VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:

(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.

(2) Permitted swimming areas.

(3) Shore.

(4) Docks.

(5) Mooring fields.

(6) Other vessels.
Thanks for the rsa. Did that change within the last 10 years or so?


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default 150’ Rule Applies to Rafts Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
This is why they should ban scuba diving ........... its way to dangerous when people only cite the laws in a way that they only want to read them. Swim lines are also open bar to. No need to slow down by them either.

N.H. State law requires boaters to stay at least 150 feet away from a red flag with a white stripe or other flags in the water. They signal that scuba divers are in the area.

================================================== =
Really for full disclosure.

The full content of the law on this can be found here. It goes way beyond what is stated in post number 3

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../270-D-mrg.htm
I’m not citing a law in a way that I only want to read it. That’s how I remember the law, mainly from debates on this forum long ago. Perhaps I got bad info back then. Don’t assume I’m being an ahole.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
Little Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 494
Thanks: 82
Thanked 193 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I’m not citing a law in a way that I only want to read it. That’s how I remember the law, mainly from debates on this forum long ago. Perhaps I got bad info back then. Don’t assume I’m being an ahole.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
About a year ago. Starting at your post# 28:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...aft#post314970
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default 150’ Rule Applies to Rafts Too

My bad. Don’t even remember this thread from last year. Perhaps I should go to the doc for dementia testing. But you still don’t need to be nasty about it. And unlike some on here, I am happy to admit when I’m wrong.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-06-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Seriously!? I can assure you that if it was highlighted in the boat ed course, I would have remembered it. There is so much bad info on this site, you can’t wrap your head around it. What I remember is from years ago about littoral rights of shore front owners. I was told on this site that after I quarantine for 14 days at my southern home, that I’d have to quarantine for another 14 days there. Wrong. I’m sorry that I listened to bad info previously, and have learned my lesson on that. But I can assure you, I thought it was from a good source. And I would never pass that close to a raft at other than headway from a personal sense of responsibility.

TopWater, you really seem to have a personal grudge with me. Want to expound? Did I say things in other threads that offended you and you were just gleefully ready to pounce? I’ve certainly experienced that before here.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Gilly, brush off Top-Water—he's one of the forum's hypocrites who simultaneously complains about "useless" threads/posts and then loads them up with complaints and criticisms.

In my search for a jetski, I had no fewer than six private messages and two Facebook posts thanking me for the questions and apologizing on behalf of his bitching. In fact, here's one from LAST WEEK, six months after his idiocy.

Hope you're well, friend!

Name:  Screenshot_20200705-065722_Facebook.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  35.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #11
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Gilly, brush off Top-Water—he's one of the forum's hypocrites who simultaneously complains about "useless" threads/posts and then loads them up with complaints and criticisms.

In my search for a jetski, I had no fewer than six private messages and two Facebook posts thanking me for the questions and apologizing on behalf of his bitching. In fact, here's one from LAST WEEK, six months after his idiocy.

Hope you're well, friend!Attachment 16181

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Thanks, thinkxingu. The funny thing is, the post you just quoted was removed. Funny what’s allowed to stay and what’s removed.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Thanks, thinkxingu. The funny thing is, the post you just quoted was removed. Funny what’s allowed to stay and what’s removed.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I get that the Webmaster is trying to keep peace here—and I think he's doing an overall fine job. I'm more surprised by the number of other members who don't speak out.

To each of the people who private messaged me, I asked the same thing: why not point it out and be part of the solution. To me, not saying anything is saying something.

In any case, let's move forward in the best way for the forum. Take care, and fingers crossed for good boating weather today—I've got friends coming up, and I'm hoping all the crazies from yesterday are hungover until at least dinner time!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #13
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I get that the Webmaster is trying to keep peace here—and I think he's doing an overall fine job. I'm more surprised by the number of other members who don't speak out.

To each of the people who private messaged me, I asked the same thing: why not point it out and be part of the solution. To me, not saying anything is saying something.

In any case, let's move forward in the best way for the forum. Take care, and fingers crossed for good boating weather today—I've got friends coming up, and I'm hoping all the crazies from yesterday are hungover until at least dinner time!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Looks like you should have great weather. Have fun with your friends. Me? I’ve started predicting the daily thunderstorms down here by when I want to take the dog for a swim.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Thanks friend, and good luck on your end!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,296
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 389
Thanked 3,237 Times in 735 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Thanks, thinkxingu. The funny thing is, the post you just quoted was removed. Funny what’s allowed to stay and what’s removed.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
When you post about COVID-19 in a thread about the 150' rule in the Boating section it will be removed. I'm serious about keeping those comments out of other areas of this forum.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-05-2020), Descant (07-05-2020), farechofisherman (07-12-2020), FlyingScot (07-05-2020), JC19 (07-10-2020), Pineedles (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #16
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 502
Thanks: 642
Thanked 218 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
When you post about COVID-19 in a thread about the 150' rule in the Boating section it will be removed. I'm serious about keeping those comments out of other areas of this forum.
Thanks for the explanation.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #17
Island-Ho
Senior Member
 
Island-Ho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Uninformed or just don’t care !

I constantly get boaters passing at planing speed between the end of my dock (where we like to swim) and a buoy only 75’ off the dock. So they are at most 60’ from the dock! What is it about 150’ these idiots don’t understand?
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island-Ho For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #18
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 703
Thanked 876 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho View Post
I constantly get boaters passing at planing speed between the end of my dock (where we like to swim) and a buoy only 75’ off the dock. So they are at most 60’ from the dock! What is it about 150’ these idiots don’t understand?
I think there may be a feeling that, since you don't have to slow down for a buoy, they're in open water and neglect to think about 150' from shore, concentrating on the buioy. There must be many places where this occurs.
Is the buoiy really necessary? If it were removed would boats stay farther away from your dock, or is it a narrow passage? Rumor is, that some buoys marked political friendships, not rocks. Current practice is to remove buoys that are determined to be unnecessary, or can be better marked some other way.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #19
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 699
Thanks: 107
Thanked 241 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Political friendships? Do you know of a few examples that have been removed?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #20
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 1,063
Thanks: 147
Thanked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Default

I have to ask b/c I actually don't know ????

I suspect 'rafts' are regulated by State permit, and there certain distance that the waterfront property can place there raft ? Otherwise, a property owner could place the raft 'any' distance from the shore they desire, and gaining possibly a 'no-wake' distance from their land.

Does someone on the forum know the 'maximum distance from shore the raft can be positioned ? Does the raft once placed, have to be inspected by the Marine patrol or a state/local authority, to determine if it is within the statues of the law ? Is there any state/local controlling authority who monitors the location of these rafts around the lake, otherwise anyone could just go buy a 'raft' and install it themselves, without taking out a Permit ? I have these same questions regarding 'Moorings' ???

Gee, I just think I thought of a new State Agency !

Last edited by bigdog; 07-05-2020 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #21
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,890
Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,350 Times in 521 Posts
Default

The rules require that, unless a waiver is obtained, no raft may be placed more than 50 feet from shore or in more than 8 feet of water. Rafts must have an easily seen reflective surface on all sides and be marked with the owners name, address and telephone number.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
bigdog (07-05-2020), Old Sarge (08-16-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #22
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 187
Thanks: 44
Thanked 138 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have to ask b/c I actually don't know ????

I suspect 'rafts' are regulated by State permit, and there certain distance that the waterfront property can place there raft ? Otherwise, a property owner could place the raft 'any' distance from the shore they desire, and gaining possibly a 'no-wake' distance from their land.

Does someone on the forum know the 'maximum distance from shore the raft can be positioned ? Does the raft once placed, have to be inspected by the Marine patrol or a state/local authority, to determine if it is within the statues of the law ? Is there any state/local controlling authority who monitors the location of these rafts around the lake, otherwise anyone could just go buy a 'raft' and install it themselves, without taking out a Permit ? I have these same questions regarding 'Moorings' ???

Gee, I just think I thought of a new State Agency !
That’s a raft of questions you’re asking right there.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (08-16-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #23
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,980
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,533 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The rules require that, unless a waiver is obtained, no raft may be placed more than 50 feet from shore or in more than 8 feet of water. Rafts must have an easily seen reflective surface on all sides and be marked with the owners name, address and telephone number.
I may be wrong but I believe rafts cannot be more than 150’ from Shore.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #24
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 703
Thanked 876 Times in 546 Posts
Default Sawyer Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Political friendships? Do you know of a few examples that have been removed? ]
It's documented in this forum a while back, but I can't find the date on the Bizer chart in my desk. Nevertheless, there used to be two red buoys off Sawyer Point in Moultonboro. One was removed and MP posted on this Forum.

The concept of political buoys goes back further to when the Dept of Safety Commissioner would place additional buoys to push traffic farther out from specific locations. As I said, rumor and/or speculation, but I think credible. People who have one of these markers are unlikely to complain. Those of an older generation and some local knowledge might wonder why a particular buoy is in place.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,720
Thanks: 57
Thanked 772 Times in 333 Posts
Default

I used to get so twisted up about 150' rule violations... but realistically, its a guideline as just about everyone will not estimate the distance correctly on the water.

So unless they are danger close... I don't get worked up about it.

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 453
Thanked 712 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The rules require that, unless a waiver is obtained, no raft may be placed more than 50 feet from shore or in more than 8 feet of water. Rafts must have an easily seen reflective surface on all sides and be marked with the owners name, address and telephone number.
Hi Tilton,

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you're referring to the rules in proposed legislation that they tried to pass in 2010, but it failed. Following are the current rules as far as I can determine:

Saf-C 404.09 Swim Rafts.

(a) Each swim raft placed in public waters shall display the owners name and shore front address plainly marked on the outside of such raft.

(b) Each swim raft placed in public waters shall display 12 square inches of reflective material at least half way up on all sides of the raft.


Source. #6092, eff 9-19-95, EXPIRED: 9-19-03


New. #8107, EMERGENCY, eff 6-22-04, EXPIRES: 12-19-04; ss by #8172, eff 9-21-04; rpld by #8614, eff 4-25-06


New. #10293, eff 3-20-13
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #27
Pineedles
Senior Member
 
Pineedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Moultonborough & CT
Posts: 2,514
Thanks: 1,016
Thanked 632 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Our raft is in no more than 7’ of water and only 50’ from the shoreline. And I just watched another idiot zoom past. And no, there is no traffic that is crowding him toward the shoreline.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #28
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 619
Thanked 451 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Our raft is in no more than 7’ of water and only 50’ from the shoreline. And I just watched another idiot zoom past. And no, there is no traffic that is crowding him toward the shoreline.
Not sure of your family's swimming ability, but 50' is awfully close. Maybe take advantage of the 150' limit and move her out some?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #29
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 703
Thanked 876 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Not sure of your family's swimming ability, but 50' is awfully close. Maybe take advantage of the 150' limit and move her out some?
That could mean headway speed out 300' from shore. Pretty aggressive in some areas, say where there is a straight line course between an outer buoy and a common destination such as public docks. As is often the case here, what seems obvious to the OP seems like incomplete info to the unfamiliar reader.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #30
umbrellapoint
Junior Member
 
umbrellapoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston / Wolfeboro
Posts: 18
Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default expected # of boats that pass too close to a swim raft

Nerding out just a little bit....

The expected number of boats that will buzz your swim dock per day, on average =

[1 -
(
Probability that the average boater is informed about the 150' rule *
Probability that the average boater can reasonably estimate 150' *
Probability that the average boater cares to observed it *
)
] *
total number of boats that pass by your place per day, on average


Assuming a high probability for each case ( e.g. 95% ), still means that ~15% of boats will not obey the 150' rule. If roughly 100 boats pass by your swim raft on a busy Saturday, you'd should expect 15 or so, on average, to be too close. This would not be evenly spread across the day, but concentrated in the main boating hours ( ~12PM - 5PMish ), so you would see a couple per hour too close --- and that is with a high % of conformity/adherence to the rules.

If there is a high rental weekend, with a less experienced boating population, the actual probabilities may be closer to 80%. The would mean a little less than half of the boaters break the 150' rule. With 100 boats/day, this means ~50 boats too close and an almost constant stream of boats buzzing your raft during peak boating times.

You can pretty much estimate the actual probabilities just by counting the boats that go by your place vs the boats that go by "too close".

To lower the number of boats that break the 150' rule, you can address each of the above probabilities:

1.) increased testing / certification to increase the chance someone, who may be an experienced boater, but inexperienced in NH, is aware of the 150' rule.

2.) additional markers/indicators, particularly in high traffic areas, to better delineate 150' from closest object.

3.) increase MP presence/enforcement in areas with both greatest abuse of 150' rule and most chance of injury and/or property damage by the 150' rule not being observed.

Each of the three costs the state time and money and benefits accrue mostly to a very few # of waterfront property owners, of which a significant portion live out of state and do not vote. So, you would need a way, other than voting, to incentivize the state the address these issues.
umbrellapoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to umbrellapoint For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #31
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 703
Thanked 876 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Time for the potato launchers. Or, just anchor a canoe 150' out from the raft. So much simpler than complaining on the Forum, and much more effective.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #32
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 699
Thanks: 107
Thanked 241 Times in 152 Posts
Default

What would it be like if each lakeshore owner created a 150’ marker and placed them in the water along the shoreline. Interesting idea I do say


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #33
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

I'm not good at estimating distance. What do people use to even judge 150'? I'm confident that, though I stay a fair distance away from most everything, that it's not always 150'.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:32 AM   #34
Barney Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 964
Thanks: 496
Thanked 272 Times in 174 Posts
Default Guesstimate

150 feet is one half of the length of a football field. There is a No Wake Buoy positioned 150' away from the Marine Patrol docks in Glendale harbor located so folks can see what this distance looks like. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #35
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
150 feet is one half of the length of a football field. There is a No Wake Buoy positioned 150' away from the Marine Patrol docks in Glendale harbor located so folks can see what this distance looks like.
Thanks for the tip on the no wake buoy—I'll check it out the next time I'm at a public dock in the north.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #36
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 459
Thanks: 468
Thanked 282 Times in 131 Posts
Default No wake buoy at Pier 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks for the tip on the no wake buoy—I'll check it out the next time I'm at a public dock in the north.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
When you travel by your "boatie's" to Pier 19 to get your ice cream there is a NO Wake Buoy off Pier 19 marina marking 150' distance. Check it out.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #37
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 703
Thanked 876 Times in 546 Posts
Default 2 ski lines; 4 docks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm not good at estimating distance. What do people use to even judge 150'? I'm confident that, though I stay a fair distance away from most everything, that it's not always 150'.
Twice a 75 foot ski tow line.
Most private docks are about 40'. Look at one holding a pencil to mark the 40', with your thumb, then "walk it out" four times. Is there enough dock space? posts are usually 8 feet apart; count the posts.
You an calibrate yourself by driving at high speed. When people start yelling at you, that's less than 150'.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #38
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
When you travel by your "boatie's" to Pier 19 to get your ice cream there is a NO Wake Buoy off Pier 19 marina marking 150' distance. Check it out.
I was actually there today. Maybe a dumb question, but does the buoy mark 150' to the closest dock/fixed object or land?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #39
chasedawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melvin village
Posts: 459
Thanks: 468
Thanked 282 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was actually there today. Maybe a dumb question, but does the buoy mark 150' to the closest dock/fixed object or land?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Closes dock or public dock where fireboat is tied up.

How was the ice cream?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #40
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Closes dock or public dock where fireboat is tied up.

How was the ice cream?
Would you believe I didn't get any?! It was ROUGH out there this morning, so we just went in for someone to fill up. My morning wasn't sweet-free, however—we hit Wolfeboro and grabbed blueberry/lemon donuts. Gosh-darn were they good. Divine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #41
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 673
Thanks: 346
Thanked 225 Times in 126 Posts
Default Some observations/thoughts

Some observations based on what I have read in this thread:

• I personally think many boaters are NOT actually aware of the rule and/or some confuse the 150’ distance, as I have often heard it cited as the 50’ rule (likely adding to some of the problems/confusion)

• I think most people struggle with judging 150’ distance, visually its not and easy length to estimate, especially while moving. Though some of the tips like dock length are good/helpful.

• While I have personally suffered some expensive cosmetic damage to my boats from excessive wake and boats passing by too closely, I do also think many land/home owners are often complaining about boats being too close when they are actually the full 150’ out, its just not enough distance in some cases.

• At the same time, if every home owner put a raft out at the legal limit, the lake would become very difficult to boat on as many common routes would become virtual no wake zones.

• While I don’t think most boaters are ignoring the rule, there are likely some that just don’t care, and when you think its a blatant act, call the marine patrol.

• I think the 150’ should be treated as a target rather than a strict number, boaters need to focus on overall safety first (which absolutely includes distances from others, and objects and land) but if they are expending too much of their time at the helm calculating specific distance, other safety concerns will suffer and we need to strike a balance with many competing concerns. This one is a tough balance, its like the 1 car length for every ten miles per hour of road speed/safe following distance. Its clearly a good best practice that would reduce accidents and save lives and unfortunately at the very same time it will distract drivers and tax some of them to their limits making their overall operation less safe. Sorry, some people cannot juggle and ride the unicycle at the same time as playing the star spangled banner on the kazoo,,, Its not a perfect world.

• While a novel idea, every homeowner putting out 150’ markers would quickly become problematic, I can see all the cases where someone missed on and then got the line tangled in the prop and causing damage and maybe disabled boats.

• Based on the concept above, it might be interesting to see if the GPS folks can add a 150’ distance warning on their maps in a red outline or a dotted line or something like that to let boaters know where they are, but this could also become a distraction as discussed above. Tough balance to strike.

• And finally, if everyone paid attention to safety first, were reasonably respectful, and did not fly into a rage when someone makes a mistake that no one was harmed, then we might all have a better experience at the lake.

Just a thought,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-20-2020), jbolty (07-13-2020), Top-Water (07-20-2020), umbrellapoint (07-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #42
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,248
Thanks: 1,476
Thanked 736 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Good thoughts but they will never happen. There will always be a huge percentage of “captain idiots” on any lake compared to polite law abiding ones...just today’s human nature and the rising tide of self-importance in people.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #43
ACME on the Broads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 51
Thanks: 124
Thanked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Default XCR-700 Good Thoughts!

Very good points, thank you!

Here's another............where the heck is Marine Patrol? Longtime residents and boaters (over 35 years) and simply can't remember ever seeing so few Marine Patrol vessels/officers visible?

150' rule, a joke; there are a majority of boaters who don't understand the rule and can't comprehend safety! So many first time or novice boaters. With Covid, new adventures seem to be the norm.........let's go to Winni and rent a boat.

As for boat traffic....this weekend the lake appeared as it did in the early 2000s; that is, big flashy boats everywhere, the poker run on Sat morning had over 70 performance boats racing to CH, (beautiful to see). Speed limit? What speed limit? So many Waverunners in formations with 10-14 in a group, and boat rafting the likes of which seemed like the largest floating marina ever.

Oh well, hope everyone stays safe, enjoys and respects our beautiful lake.

Best to all!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
capt wolfe (08-03-2020), tis (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #44
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,123
Thanks: 544
Thanked 987 Times in 691 Posts
Default

We wonder where MP is too. In the old days they used to talk about cowboys on Lake Winni. Well guess what, it was nothing compared to what it is today. It's the Wild West out there.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:23 AM   #45
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 703
Thanked 876 Times in 546 Posts
Default Sat. am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Very good points, thank you!

Here's another............where the heck is Marine Patrol? Longtime residents and boaters (over 35 years) and simply can't remember ever seeing so few Marine Patrol vessels/officers visible?

150' rule, a joke; there are a majority of boaters who don't understand the rule and can't comprehend safety! So many first time or novice boaters. With Covid, new adventures seem to be the norm.........let's go to Winni and rent a boat.

As for boat traffic....this weekend the lake appeared as it did in the early 2000s; that is, big flashy boats everywhere, the poker run on Sat morning had over 70 performance boats racing to CH, (beautiful to see). Speed limit? What speed limit? So many Waverunners in formations with 10-14 in a group, and boat rafting the likes of which seemed like the largest floating marina ever.

Oh well, hope everyone stays safe, enjoys and respects our beautiful lake.

Best to all!
Yeah. Lots of Sat am boat traffic. By my second cuo of coffee, it was quiet again.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:47 AM   #46
Lil' Barndoor Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

The driver of a rented Seadoo out of Backbay in Wolfeboro was doing full speed dounuts around the 150' distance buoy in front of the Wolfeboro town docks.
Boaters at the town docks were waving him off and yelling at him. He flipped the bird and sped off, circled Wolfeboro Bay and then came in full speed to the bridge, only slowing to clear his head on the concrete.
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #47
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 673
Thanks: 346
Thanked 225 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Yeah. Lots of Sat am boat traffic. By my second cuo of coffee, it was quiet again.
Personally I have completely given up on Saturdays during the busy season, its just too busy, too crazy and not fun for me as the one in our boat who must constantly keep an eye out 360 degrees for whats next.

Its not just a tolerance thing, which I will freely admit as I get older its lacking,,, For me its a matter of how much will I enjoy it, and with time not being an unlimited commodity, I chose not to squander it on a day I know I'm not likely to enjoy.

Others clearly love the crowds and for them a busy day at Braun is what they call fun. I hope they actually enjoy it, but they will have to do so without me and my no concert level music boat ;-)

Edit: just thinking, in the almost year since we got this boat, I dont think I have even once turned the radio on,,, I should probably test it before the 1 year mark on the warranty. I am usually just very happy to hear the sounds of motors and water slapping the hull while anchored, I never have the radio on,,, I guess we each have our quirks, and I'm sure I have more than the average person.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-21-2020), tis (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #48
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 448
Thanks: 161
Thanked 151 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Personally I have completely given up on Saturdays during the busy season, its just too busy, too crazy and not fun for me as the one in our boat who must constantly keep an eye out 360 degrees for whats next.

Its not just a tolerance thing, which I will freely admit as I get older its lacking,,, For me its a matter of how much will I enjoy it, and with time not being an unlimited commodity, I chose not to squander it on a day I know I'm not likely to enjoy.

Others clearly love the crowds and for them a busy day at Braun is what they call fun. I hope they actually enjoy it, but they will have to do so without me and my no concert level music boat ;-)

Edit: just thinking, in the almost year since we got this boat, I dont think I have even once turned the radio on,,, I should probably test it before the 1 year mark on the warranty. I am usually just very happy to hear the sounds of motors and water slapping the hull while anchored, I never have the radio on,,, I guess we each have our quirks, and I'm sure I have more than the average person.
Agreed. I could care less about having a radio on the boat. However, if I do have a radio on my boat, (which I do), I do want it to work! I just don't care if it's on or not...!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:59 AM   #49
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,985
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Arrow 150-Rule for The Unexpected...

When a skier falls, it takes about a minute for the towing boat to return to them. (Depending on boat size, type, and speed).

Even if the skier catches up with a ski to correctly signal his position to approaching boats, the towing boat would still need 300+ feet to slow, make the turn, guide the towrope, and return to the skier. This leaves the skier dangerously vulnerable, and hundreds of feet from the safety of the towing boat.

Remember how some Winnipesaukee boaters can't see navigation markers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I used to get so twisted up about 150' rule violations... but realistically, its a guideline as just about everyone will not estimate the distance correctly on the water.

So unless they are danger close... I don't get worked up about it.

Woodsy
I'd try.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #50
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 673
Thanks: 346
Thanked 225 Times in 126 Posts
Default

I think the 1 minute estimate may by low unless the driver is very aggressive. Regardless of how long it actually takes, I know when you are the one in the water, it can feel like a very long time,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #51
whalebackpoint'r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Thanks: 27
Thanked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Default

The 150' rule is probably the most frequently violated rule in the book. It's not easy to judge that distance on the water. Here are a couple of examples I use:
1. 150' is half the length of a football field.

2. It is twice the distance of a 75' official ski rope length.

You also have to factor in the width of your boat and anything that is on the other side of your boat. Have fun and be safe.
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #52
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 177
Thanks: 12
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
When a skier falls, it takes about a minute for the towing boat to return to them. (Depending on boat size, type, and speed).

Even if the skier catches up with a ski to correctly signal his position to approaching boats, the towing boat would still need 300+ feet to slow, make the turn, guide the towrope, and return to the skier. This leaves the skier dangerously vulnerable, and hundreds of feet from the safety of the towing boat.

Remember how some Winnipesaukee boaters can't see navigation markers?


I'd try.
And remember. Power turning and rushing back does absolutely nothing to shorten that in comparison to just throwing it in neutral, turning 180 and heading back to the skier. All you’re doing power turning is sending a wave into shore and ruining the water for your skier.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #53
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,123
Thanks: 544
Thanked 987 Times in 691 Posts
Default

I think that and no wake are the two most frequently violated, Whale.

An MP officer once told me if you can read the bow numbers on the boat you are too close. If you can't you are 150'. I think it might depend on your eyesight though.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #54
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,765
Thanks: 965
Thanked 1,145 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think that and no wake are the two most frequently violated, Whale.

An MP officer once told me if you can read the bow numbers on the boat you are too close. If you can't you are 150'. I think it might depend on your eyesight though.
The reality is that 150' is more conceptual than exact—there's no way to measure on-the-spot—but, like Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart said, "[MP] know it when [they] see it."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #55
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,985
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Arrow Remarkable Also for Being an Extra-Quiet Inboard...

At 6:30 this very calm Friday morning, a skier went by, "skiing" on his back. He then returned to upright--skiing barefoot.

It would have been impressive, but the skier had no control in l/r direction, and the boat's operator was only 50-feet off my dock.

(And even closer to a neighbor's raft, and had no "observer" aboard).
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #56
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 187
Thanks: 44
Thanked 138 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
At 6:30 this very calm Friday morning, a skier went by, "skiing" on his back. He then returned to upright--skiing barefoot.

It would have been impressive, but the skier had no control in l/r direction, and the boat's operator was only 50-feet off my dock.

(And even closer to a neighbor's raft, and had no "observer" aboard).
Goes to show that talent and intelligence don’t always coexist in the same individual.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #57
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,123
Thanks: 544
Thanked 987 Times in 691 Posts
Default

I saw them. They started here too. That's how they get up when they barefoot, starting out on their backs. I guess I could say that is one way. You can also drop your ski. He is really good. They were here a couple of weeks ago too. But you are right, they didn't have an observer then and they didn't have one today. I have to admit I enjoyed watching them. In my younger day I skied barefoot once and it is so hard on your feet it wasn't for me. The water felt like stones. I have always admired bare footers.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #58
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,980
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,533 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I saw them. They started here too. That's how they get up when they barefoot, starting out on their backs. I guess I could say that is one way. You can also drop your ski. He is really good. They were here a couple of weeks ago too. But you are right, they didn't have an observer then and they didn't have one today. I have to admit I enjoyed watching them. In my younger day I skied barefoot once and it is so hard on your feet it wasn't for me. The water felt like stones. I have always admired bare footers.
‘Tis,

Are you sure that wasn’t you out there Water skiing and teasing APS!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #59
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,123
Thanks: 544
Thanked 987 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
‘Tis,

Are you sure that wasn’t you out there Water skiing and teasing APS!

Dan
I wish!!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #60
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 448
Thanks: 161
Thanked 151 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I saw them. They started here too. That's how they get up when they barefoot, starting out on their backs. I guess I could say that is one way. You can also drop your ski. He is really good. They were here a couple of weeks ago too. But you are right, they didn't have an observer then and they didn't have one today. I have to admit I enjoyed watching them. In my younger day I skied barefoot once and it is so hard on your feet it wasn't for me. The water felt like stones. I have always admired bare footers.
I have always admired the barefoot skier as well. If you can water ski barefoot, (chances are) you know what you are doing, (as well as your driver). They probably could have come within 10' of an "obstacle" knowing what they are doing without a problem, however it may not look like it to an on looker. As far as the water feeling like stones on your feet, I would imagine it can't feel to good on the back either!!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #61
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,985
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Question Common Sense Would Be Welcome...

Maybe someone should clue Garmin as to NH's regulations?

Maybe someone could devise a $15 plastic float that looks like a Jersey barrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I have always admired the barefoot skier as well. If you can water ski barefoot, (chances are) you know what you are doing, (as well as your driver). They probably could have come within 10' of an "obstacle" knowing what they are doing without a problem, however it may not look like it to an on looker. As far as the water feeling like stones on your feet, I would imagine it can't feel to good on the back either!!!
Bringing back...
"An inch is as good as a mile"?
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #62
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,123
Thanks: 544
Thanked 987 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I have always admired the barefoot skier as well. If you can water ski barefoot, (chances are) you know what you are doing, (as well as your driver). They probably could have come within 10' of an "obstacle" knowing what they are doing without a problem, however it may not look like it to an on looker. As far as the water feeling like stones on your feet, I would imagine it can't feel to good on the back either!!!
Yes, if you hit a small piece of something your foot would be hurt badly!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #63
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 731
Thanks: 1,320
Thanked 686 Times in 419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Maybe someone could devise a $15 plastic float that looks like a Jersey barrier?
According to union rules that would be Fll's job.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-16-2020), Hillcountry (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #64
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,016
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 224
Thanked 642 Times in 473 Posts
Default

For $16.15 you can get a giant inflatable banana and anchor it strategically to keep water skiers away, way away, out there.

Except, with the free shipping and the recent mail slowdown, it could take three weeks to get to you. (It's in the mail.) So, better to hit your local transfer station and retrieve an old plastic picnic cooler, or something that is a bright color, large, and floats ...... like a bright orange, Ozark Trail picnic cooler.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.33232 seconds