Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Thumbs up The Lobster Pound

In today's Laconia Sun I see that they are advertising that they have a new executive chef.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Default new chef

New head chef starting in at the Lobster Pound from big article in today's LaDaSun......sounds like a real good cook.....culinary cook'n school grad!

Oops....make that the Feb 9 www.citizen.com has an article on the new chef at the Lobster Pound.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2010 at 07:32 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
New head chef starting in at the Lobster Pound from big article in today's LaDaSun......sounds like a real good cook.....culinary cook'n school grad!

Oops....make that the Feb 9 www.citizen.com has an article on the new chef at the Lobster Pound.
CIA (Culinary Institute of America) is a great school. I look forward to checking out the new selections!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
trfour

Thumbs up The Lobsta Pound Rocks...

And is keeping up with a very great Lakes Region Tradition in quality food and service! I do not have to remind anyone, that we all need to support them in and through these very tough economic times!!
Our world includes and needs Us!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
lakes rest guy

Default Valentine Day

I ate at the Pound on Sun night.. The food was very good. the service was a bit slow.. but not too bad. Good job!!
lakes rest guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Sunrise Point

They have been running an early evening weekend special. $1.00 draft beer and $0.25 chicken wings. My husband likes the Winni wings and I am partial to the Garlic/Romano.

We have gone several times and enjoyed the food and service.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Woodsy

They run that special every day they are open..... its pretty awesome! I just hope it carrys over into the summer... $1 drafts on the deck!

Woodsy
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Turtle Boy

Also had a good experience...looking forward to next visit.
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
sum-r breeze

Default Lobster Pound

Went to the Lobster Pound this past Sat night, and the food and service was excellent. I had the lobster pie (when in Rome...) and Mrs breeze had the scallops. Both were very tasty and I was pleasantly surprised about the lack of bread crumbs and the extrordinary amount of lobster in the pie. It was just great. Wait staff was very attentive and friendly. She also suggested
the Sunday Brunch they offer and we'll try to hit that next time up. If you haven't tried the Lobster Pound yet or lately don't hesitate, we had a very enjoyable dinner.

The Breeze
Wav 'cuz I'll be wavin back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
VtSteve

I look forward to revisiting this summer, sooner if I can.

I might add, I like to crack the lobster myself with my hands, using as few tools as possible

Huge claw last time, and one hand did it.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Sidewinder

My wife and I have visited the Pound 3 times now each time we have gotten the lobster rolls and boy are they good, I typically dont eat the bread and get doubled stuffed meat. I see whole claws and tails in the meat its very hardy and we love it! Two thumbs up!
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidewinder For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (03-18-2010), Pineedles (03-17-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Lucky1

Do they have an online menu? I am going to try to go this weekend.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Do they have an online menu? I am going to try to go this weekend.

Slow and steady wins the race.
http://www.wb-lp.com/
Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Lucky1

This link for menu at The Lobster Pound does not open. Did not make it before but looking for lobster tonight. Anyone have a menu link for The Lobster Pound?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
This link for menu at The Lobster Pound does not open. Did not make it before but looking for lobster tonight. Anyone have a menu link for The Lobster Pound?
It works for me, but if you're still having trouble just Google Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. The first listing that shows is for their home page.
Lucky1 (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Heff

You might want to call them as I think they are clsoed Mondays & Tuesdays!
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heff For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Lucky1

Drat. You are right. They are closed Tuesdays. Too bad. It seems as if it is not meant to be as we are committed to going out to dinner tonight. Guess it will be another time. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #18
Lucky1

Well we finally got to the Lobster Pound Sunday evening. We both had the twin lobsters that were really excellent. I had read something about being served Lobster in several pieces on a post here so merely asked to have the lobsters served whole and they were. Really delicious lobsters. Hard shells made them a bit hard to crack. One claw on each was tiny (much less than the usual one larger than the other) but they were a nice size and tasty so it did not matter!

Jennifer was our server and was attentive and excellent. She brought over a few extra cherry tomatoes after one was a bit spoiled in one of our salads. Jennifer frequently asked if we needed anything and offered more rolls etc. The garlic rolls were very good as was the corn bread and we were happy to have the second basket.

It seemed like the butter was mixed with oil or something which seemed not as tasty as real melted butter, but I did not mind as I do not eat a lot of melted butter as I am watching my fat intake. It was a problem for my dining partner though. I did not like the taste either though.

For desert I chose a piece of pretty good cheesecake. I did not have wine but my dining partner did. I was told the wine was awful.

The twin lobsters were $24.95 I think. The glass of wine was $7.00. and the cheese cake was $5.00. Two dinners with tax and 20 % tip came to $80.00. I would have liked a side included with the lobsters and salad such as a sweet potato. I noticed that the person with lobster at another table had ordered french fries. I thought that for the price of $24.95 a potato or vegetable selection would make the meal nicer for me. However we enjoyed the lobsters for sure!!! Don't know if my dining partner would order two lobsters again. I might but am not sure. All in all it was a very nice meal.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
AKADQ

Post Consistency

Had dinner at LP about 3 weeks ago and had the full rack of ribs while my wife had seafood. Both meals were excellent as well as the service. Plenty of food with both of us having leftovers to take home.
My wife had her birthday this past weekend and I wanted to take her out for dinner. She suggested a few restaurants, so I decided to go back to LP since we both enjoyed our meals 3 weeks ago. My wife got another but different seafood dish, in which she enjoyed I got my full rack of ribs again, although it was ok it was not prepared the same as I had gotten 3 weeks ago. Ribs had been marinated and cooked to perfection my first time, and this past time they had been cooked and a glaze put over them just before serving. Although they were ok, they were not the same as they were my first time going 3 weeks ago.
Although the service was excellent and the prices were good, it was not the consistent meal that I was hoping for. We will go back, it is one of our new favorite places to dine.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #20
Martha Marlee

Default Disappointed

We went to the LP on Sat night after waiting all winter to get up there. I don’t like to bash anyone but I was not happy with the manager
There were some minor issues like being disappointed by the limited menu (no crab legs or prime rib on Sat night- 6:30pm!) and the soggy fried zucchini appetizers could have been better, but we had an awesome waitress who made the meal fun anyway but the manger was another story
The manager came over after our meal and asked how it was- we told her some of our disappointments and asked what happened to Mike the old manger. This prompted her to tell us how the old manger was no longer there and he basically sucked bc he ran some other restaurant into the ground…we were a bit shocked she would bring this up …she appeared to have an attitude from the start
The service was excellent but the manger sure did put a bad taste in our mouth
The one good thing we got out of the visit was that we found out that the old manager is opening up a place on the pier---that would be great!! Oh and we also hear there is a topless place going in over in Laconia for all you guys
Martha Marlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Default Do tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Marlee View Post
Oh and we also hear there is a topless place going in over in Laconia for all you guys
In the interest of politcal correctness I would point out that both genders might enjoy that new waitstaff uniform.
jmen24 (05-17-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
VtSteve

As far as I know, Mike Ray was one of the family owners of the LP. AFAIK, he still is, I haven't read of any changes. I met him last summer, a truly nice soul. Our impression on two visits last year was very positive, a very well-run establishment.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
mike ray (05-18-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #23
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
In the interest of politcal correctness I would point out that both genders might enjoy that new waitstaff uniform.
That is the easiest way to go out for a night to an establishment of this style. Invite the wife or girlfriend, you will have more fun than if you invited your buddy.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
ironhorsetim

Default 2 Mike's

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
As far as I know, Mike Ray was one of the family owners of the LP. AFAIK, he still is, I haven't read of any changes. I met him last summer, a truly nice soul. Our impression on two visits last year was very positive, a very well-run establishment.
There was a manager there a while back whose name was also Mike, he has gone up the road to manage the Patio owned by the Ames family

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
LillithFaewen

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Marlee View Post
The manager came over after our meal and asked how it was- we told her some of our disappointments and asked what happened to Mike the old manger. This prompted her to tell us how the old manger was no longer there and he basically sucked bc he ran some other restaurant into the ground…we were a bit shocked she would bring this up …she appeared to have an attitude from the start
The service was excellent but the manger sure did put a bad taste in our mouth. The one good thing we got out of the visit was that we found out that the old manager is opening up a place on the pier---that would be great!! Oh and we also hear there is a topless place going in over in Laconia for all you guys
I'm am appalled by the Manager making these statements! I think her Superiors might want to sit down and have a little chat with her about how unprofessional it is to make slanderous and rude remarks about others, especially in such a small town. Although in my opinion, this behavior is a direct reflection of nothing more than poor management and taste. Restaurant owners should never insult owners of other restaurant's and should teach their staff the same manner, as it does not sit well with most. Michael never "ran any place into the ground"; we happen to know him quite well. He is now at the Patio Garden located in Weirs Beach, across from the Crazy Gringo. Please go and visit him, I know he would be happy to have you. I spoke with him several days ago and brought this post to his attention, however it seems someone else, or actually several others had already had made him aware of it. His reaction was that this was completely unprofessional as well as untrue, however he seemed to roll it off completely. Maybe the Manager at the Lobster Pound should spend some time observing her own technique as it appears the last place she was running closed down suddenly and unexpectedly due to financial reasons and lack of business. This puts a bad taste in our mouth as well, and reinforces our decision to never return to the Lobster Pound.
LillithFaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
mike ray

Default Just a quick reply

It is so rediculous to think our manager Joanne would make those remarks about Mike Girardi. I spoke to Joanne that night and asked if she had made those comments, and she told me she has never even met Mike or heard anything about him. She knew Nadia's was a successful restaurant for years, so why would she even say that? The person who started this rediculous rumor has had problems at the Lobster Pound in the past. Her and her friends have been "shut-off" for excessive alcohol consumption. Alcohol they had been consuming on their boat ride on the way to The Weirs. (which they openly admitted)
I really didn't want to get into all that but I feel its important that people know the truth. Mike Girardi has been a family friend for over 10 years. He continues to be a very close friend, and was actually by the Lobster Pound just the other day. He is one of the funniest, most honest people I have ever met and has the love and respect of me and my family.
Mike
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike ray For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Dr. Gonzo

Had a great time at this place, no complaints. The staff even had a few recommendations to other good restaurants in the area. To me, honesty goes a long way. For a restaurant to talk well about their competitors puts a nice feeling in my stomach.......as well as the delicious food. 2 thumbs up!
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote