Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Lkin

Default Outfit my boat

Just bought a 20 foot pontoon that i will be keeping on the lake. I have owned boats before, but never a toon, so i need some advice for outfitting it. For example, how many dock lines, how long should they be. What type of anchor, etc.

Might be a fun exercise for daydreams!

Thanks

LC

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkin View Post
Just bought a 20 foot pontoon that i will be keeping on the lake. I have owned boats before, but never a toon, so i need some advice for outfitting it. For example, how many dock lines, how long should they be. What type of anchor, etc.

Might be a fun exercise for daydreams!

Thanks

LC

Congrats on your new toon purchase!!

I also have a toon so I can tell you how mine is outfitted and has worked well for me...

Regarding your dock lines, I would put four quality lines 20 - 25' in length x 3/8" dia at each corner. You always want to make sure lines are long enough to reach the opposite line in the bow or stern of the boat in case you are by yourself docking. I believe a 25' line is standard not sure if a 20' is standard or not.

For an anchor I use a 15 lb. "digger" anchor and it works great. No chain needed which is really nice for a pontoon boat. I believe I purchased mine at Cabellas http://www.diggeranchor.com/index.html You will also want a smaller secondary anchor if you plan on going to any sand bars to keep your boat from swaying left and right. I use a very small cheap danforth with an attached plastic coated chain for this. Its small enough to fit in any of the storage compartments out of the way.

Besides all your required safety gear, I would also recommend a first aid kit. I can't tell you how many times we have had to use ours for simple things like small cuts or bug bites, especially if you plan on having children on board. Sam's club sells really nice quality first aid kits for cheap money. That is where I bought mine.

A hand held spotlight and battery jump pack can come in real handy also and are kept on board my pontoon at all times.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I think Dan, covered things nicely... however a few more additions:

-- bumpers, a must and the should be big enough to fend around most dock posts... ( I keep 3 or 4 on my boat always)

-- Dan's suggestion of a battery pack is excellent, and a good alternative to a second battery.... (I am thinking of one of these for next year)

-- now if your planning to spend a lot of time drifting, or at a sand bar I recommend the following as well...

-- a few floats which have the ability to be tethered to the boat
-- a grill that you can clamp on to the boat

--A few other no essentials that people forget about

-- Keep a few wind breakers or fleece jackets aboard, it amazing how often
they come in handy
-- I also keep a couple of bottles of water on board at all times
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Grandpa Redneck

The guys have it pretty well covered, the only things we carry on ours that have not been mentioned is a few spare fuses, and a good extendable boat hook.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

I'm glad Liforrelaxin brought up fenders as these can be a pain to get right for a pontoon.

I would recommend getting three Polyform G-5 fenders. Do not go any smaller than this for your pontoon. You probably will only ever use two but a third can come in handy if tying up to another boat. I also highly recommend these quick release fender anchors. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006 These simply slide over the rails on your pontoon and allow your fenders to be taken on and off very quickly. Everything can be stored under the seats neatly out of the way.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Grandpa Redneck

Dan is right about the fender holders, those are the ones we use and they work great, easy to adjust or relocate for use at different docks.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Lkin

Thanks for the quick responses! Never thought i would be excited about shopping for dock lines and anchors!

LC

Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default That's whats so nice here...

...and welcome to the Forum, and Merry Christmas. Instead of visions of sugar plums dancing in your head, just dream about that new pontoon boat and all the fun you'll have.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Knomad

Welcome to the growing number of pontoon boat owners!
As an owner of a 20' pontoon boat ourselves, I have a couple of other suggestions to add to what has already been said:

Boat Hook - get a telescoping boat hook 3' to 7'. At 3' it fits under the seats and out of the way when not in use.

Anchor - we use 2, an 8lb for the bow and and 5lb for the stern. Both are danforth style with 6' chain and 100 ft of 3/8 line. Both of these fit under the seats as well.

Paddle - though we never had to use it, it's nice to know it is there for an emergency.

Since the bimini is so high off the deck, we loose a lot of shade toward the end of the day. By attaching a couple of large towels to the bimini with a few 2" spring clips from the hardware store solves the problem.

While underway on a cool day there is no place for the passagers to get out of the wind. Keeping a couple of blankets aboard seems to keep the complaints down.

Enjoy your new boat.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
Paddle - though we never had to use it, it's nice to know it is there for an emergency.
This is a good point, this is part of the general safety equipment... And to add some here I really suggest not just one but two paddles... With long shafts for ease of use.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Just Sold

Along with fuses make sure that you have replacement bulbs for all of your navigation and other necessary lights for night travel. You never know when a bulb will fail and if the MP stops you the ticket cost is not cheap - like $70. I know it happened to me. Also invest in a tool kit - screws, nuts and bolts can always come loose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Kamper

(IMO) Running lights on most of the 'toons I have seen are frighteningly inadequate. The factory installs tiny bow lights on top of the pontoons. They are so dim you really don't see them from too far away and the lack of elevation can makes them less obvious as well. The stock all-around light may be obscured from forward if you have any kind of top on the boat.

Both situations are easily improvable with a few dollars and a couple hours of work.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Lkin

Great ideas! Thank you

LC

Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Alsobig

Sun Screen...! The Grill is a great Idea used it all the time on our 24' Playbouy and one of those camping porta pottys... it comes in handy..!
Alsobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
NoRegrets

Have a floatable device with a line attached to toss to someone that may fall overboard. Hope you never need it. Have plenty of spare dock lines.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
RLW

Default Recession

Hey guys, haven't you heard that there is a recession going on.LOL If you have to buy, check the labels and buy American all the way.