Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
pitosalas

Default Single no wake buoys

Other than 'guess' or 'common sense' is there an official way to interpret what zone is considered 'no wake' if there is just one buoy? (example, check the new no wake zone in so-called Senter Cove - I say so-called because other than the chart, no one actually calls it that. It's west of Moultonborough Neck...)
pitosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Kamper

It should be on the chart. I understand Bizer keeps updates on thier web-site so you can add in any details that come out after printing. You can also email or call the Marine Patrol.

It may also be just a reminder of the standard no-wake rules that apply for distance from shore. Especially in a narrow channel.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Macer

Default Long Island Bridge

I have observed the same thing daily at the area north of the bridge to Long Island. There is no sign on the bridge heading North towards Quayside Marina and we observe several boat and jet ski's that apparently don't realize it is a no wake zone. We have often wondered why there is not a sign on the south side of the bridge like there is on the Governors Island bridge.
Macer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitosalas View Post
Other than 'guess' or 'common sense' is there an official way to interpret what zone is considered 'no wake' if there is just one buoy? (example, check the new no wake zone in so-called Senter Cove - I say so-called because other than the chart, no one actually calls it that. It's west of Moultonborough Neck...)
The official way is to read the order signed by the Commissioner of Safety. It will usually say something like, "from the intersection of lot 47 and lot 48 on Moultonborough assessor's map 17 to the intersection ... (etc)". If you really want to get nit-picky, (and Bizer does), this usually means a trip to the assessor's office to look at their maps.

This area has only been a NO-WAKE area for a month or so. Bizer was notified by an individual and will visit the area during our annual lake inspection in September. Bizer has asked the Department of Safety for the official document, but they have yet to respond.

I'm curious as to what you call Senter Cove. I've never called it anything else. Bizer found that name on assessor's maps and/or U.S.G.S. topographic maps of the area.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
MikeF-NH

I think they don't put the NW buoy from the south side in because the distance between the mooring field and the point of land across the channel is narrow enough that it seems obvious. I would imagine that the MP would listen to an argument of a non-local boater who said "I came from Moultonboro and this is my first time through here and didn't see a NW buoy" and just give a warning.

I know on Pawtuckaway coming out of Fundy there is NW from the ramp all the way out to the main lake (mile or more?). There is a stretch just before open water where you pass one buoy on a corner then have a long straight where you have ample distance from each shoreline where it seems you are past the NWZ and I see a lot of people get up on plane for this few hundred yards. There is another buoy where it narrows down just before the open lake and I think many think this is a separate NWZ. I talked to MP one night there and asked about that section. He said that it was NWZ but that he understands the confusion and gives warnings and said people seem genuinely uncertained and he uses judgement when checking them (probably more looking for a reason for safety check and check for drinking). Nice to see MP use judgement in these cases...don't know if they would do the same on Winni.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macer View Post
I have observed the same thing daily at the area north of the bridge to Long Island. There is no sign on the bridge heading North towards Quayside Marina and we observe several boat and jet ski's that apparently don't realize it is a no wake zone. We have often wondered why there is not a sign on the south side of the bridge like there is on the Governors Island bridge.
There isn't a no wake sign on the south side of the Governors Island bridge, unless they added one this year. There is a lighted marker there (43).
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
There isn't a no wake sign on the south side of the Governors Island bridge, unless they added one this year. There is a lighted marker there (43).

That NWZ starts 150 feet from the bridge. #43 is more like... (big guesstimate) 400 feet?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
HUH

Default Slow down?

Perhaps if your not sure ..you should err on the side of caution instead of ignorance and just slow down? Weve got a single no wake bucket out in the bay and most people think you have to slow down 3-400 feet past it
I never could figure out what the big hurry is out there
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
depasseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macer View Post
Where can I find out where in that area is a NWZ? I've wondered about this as well. I've rudimentarily mapped out the area north of the bridge, and it looks like there is a small channel, where if there weren't any other boats around, you could be greater that 150' from shore/bridge/dock and not be restricted to No Wake. I wonder how the marker that is a little north of the Bridge factors into this calculation.
Attached Images

depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
jrc

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html

The NWZ rules usually end up in Saf-C 400 with the rest of the boating rules. I copied the entire Winnipesaukee section, Senter Cove is the last one:

Saf-C 402.88 Lake Winnipesaukee.
(a) That part of Paugus Bay between the buoy located 250 feet from the west side of the bay to the western-most black top buoy shall be a “no wake” area.
(b) The Weirs Channel, so-called, between the light buoy in said channel near the Endicott Rock in Lake Winnipesaukee, and the southernmost light buoy in the channel in Lake Paugus shall be a "no wake" area.
(c) That part of Alton Bay in Lake Winnipesaukee lying south of the line running east and west through the bandstand shall be a "no wake" area. Commercial vessels operating in this area shall pass on the east side of the bandstand.
(d) Between the red top buoy located by light buoy #23 and Sandy Point in Alton Bay shall be a "no wake" area in either direction.
(e) That portion of Lake Winnipesaukee known as Sally's Gut from the easternmost to the westernmost buoys marking this passage shall be a "no wake" area in either direction.
(f) From the red and white buoy situated off the southeasterly portion of Locke's Island in Lake Winnipesaukee to a point 600 feet northerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.
(g) From the red and white buoy at the entrance of Smith's Cove at Glendale and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.
(h) The channel between Loon Island and the mainland in the town of Meredith from the red buoy situated off the southeast portion of Loon Island to a point 400 feet northerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.
(i) On Lake Winnipesaukee in the channel between Varney and Kenniston Islands from the black and white buoy marking the southeast entrance to the red buoy marking the northwest entrance of the channel shall be a "no wake" area.
(j) On Lake Winnipesaukee in the channel between Pine Island and Meredith Neck between the black and white buoy and the red buoy marking the northerly and southerly entrances respectively shall be a "no wake" area.
(k) On Lake Winnipesaukee in the channel between Horse Island and Meredith Neck, between the red buoy on the southerly approach and the black and white buoy at the northeasterly approach to the channel shall be a "no wake" area.
(l) Between navigation light number 69 and Governor's Island Bridge shall be a "no wake" area.
(m) From the entrance to Minge Cove at West Alton to the flashing light buoy located within the cove shall be a "no wake" area.
(n) From the flashing light buoy in Minge Cove and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.
(o) Between Chase Island and Farm Island shall be a "no wake" area.
(p) In the cove on the southwesterly side of Governor's Island shall be a "no wake" area.
(q) From the no wake sign located at the southern entrance to Fish Cove to the northernmost point of the cove shall be a "no wake" area.
(r) From the northernmost black top buoy to a point 150 feet beyond the southernmost point of the channel between Three Mile Island and the Hawk's Nest shall be a "no wake" area.
(s) From 150 feet beyond the northwest end of the Beaver Island Channel to 150 feet beyond the southeastern end of the Beaver Island Channel shall be a “no wake” area.
(t) From a point 150 feet from the west side of the Black Cat Island Bridge to a point 150 feet of the eastern side of the Black Cat Island Bridge shall be a “no wake” area.
(u) From a point 150 feet from the southwesternmost red top buoy to a point 150 feet beyond the northernmost red top buoy between Mark Island and Mink Island shall be a “no wake” area.
(v) From the red top buoy at the entrance of Glidden Cove shall be a “no wake” area.
(w) From light buoy #75 to the southernmost point of Small's Cove shall be a “no wake” area.
(x) From light buoy #79 to the southeasternmost point of Robert's Cove shall be a “no wake” area.
(y) From a point 150 feet southeast of the Basin Bridge to a point 150 feet northwest of the Basin Bridge shall be a “no wake” area.
(z) From a point 150 feet from the east entrance of Green's Basin to a point 150 feet beyond the western entrance of Green's Basin shall be a “no wake” area.
(aa) From the red top buoy located on the south side of Whaleback Island to a point 150 feet beyond the north entrance to the channel between Whaleback Island and Moultonborough Neck shall be a “no wake” area.
(ab) From a point 150 feet from the southeastern entrance of the channel between Ganzey Island and the mainland to a point 150 feet beyond the northern entrance to the same channel shall be a “no wake” area.
(ac) From a point 150 feet east of the black top buoy located off the north side of 9 Acre Island to a point 150 feet beyond the southwestern entrance of the channel between 9 Acre Island and Moultonborough Neck shall be a “no wake” area.
(ad) From the westernmost black top buoy located off the Long Island Public Beach to a point 150 feet beyond the eastern side of the Long Island Bridge shall be a “no wake” area.
(ae) From light buoy #65 to the red top buoy located on the northeast side of Devens Island shall be a “no wake” area.
(af) From the southwesternmost red top buoy to the northeasternmost red top buoy located southwest of Hermit Island shall be a “no wake” area.
(ag) From the southernmost black top buoy to the northernmost black top buoy in Salmon Meadow Cove shall be a “no wake” area.
(ah) From the no wake sign which is located on the southeast entrance to Kelly Cove to the northwesternmost point of Kelly Cove shall be a “no wake” area.
(ai) From a point 150 feet northeast of the no wake sign located at the entrance to Gilford Marina and southwesterly thereof shall be a “no wake” area.
(aj) From a point 150 feet north of the entrance of Lake Shore Park and southerly thereof shall be a “no wake” area.
(ak) From a point 150 feet easterly of the channel markers marking the entrance to Duck Trap Cove and westerly thereof shall be a “no wake” area.
(al) From a point 150 feet southwest of the channel between Farm Island and Tuftonboro to a point 150 feet northeast of the entrance to the channel shall be a “no wake” area.
(am) From the no wake sign located on the eastern side of Shep Brown's Boat Basin and westerly thereof shall be a “no wake” area.
(an) The cove portion of Lake Winnipesaukee west of Black Island, between Geneva Point Center and Black Island shall be a “no wake” area.
(ao) From a point 150 feet south of Ledge Island and proceeding northward into Fish Cove shall be a “no wake” area. This “no wake” area shall not include the interior of the unnamed cove to the east of Fish Cove.
(ap) The area 150 feet north of the Bear Island mail dock to 150 feet south of the mail dock in the channel between the Bear Island Post Office and Pine Island shall be a “no wake” area.
(aq) Hanson Cove in Lake Winnipesaukee shall be a “no wake” area, including that area between the mouth of the cove, 150 yards due west of the large rock, to the large rock's corresponding black top navigational marker near Toltec Point.
(ar) That portion of Langley Cove in Paugus Bay, beginning from the city of Laconia Tax Map 69, Block 248, Lot 6 and running westerly to the western most point of Christmas Island in Paugus Bay, shall be a “no wake” area.
(as) The unnamed cove easterly of Light 41 on Cow Island, in the town of Tuftonboro, shall be a “no wake” area.
(at) Raoul’s Cove in the town of Moultonborough, from a line drawn beginning on the northern side of Lot 35 and the southern boundary of adjacent lot 33, proceeding across the cove to a point on the northern most side of Lot 91 and the southern boundary of adjacent Lot 92 on Moultonborough tax map #32 shall be a “no wake” area.
(au) That part of Meredith bay in Lake Winnipesaukee running from an imaginary straight line as drawn from the Town of Meredith Tax Map U-2, Lot 7 southern boundary to Map U-15, Lot 48A southern boundary, to the northerly end of the bay on Route 25 shall be a “no wake” area.
(av) The channel named Eagle Island Narrows between Egle Island and Governors Island on Lake Winnipesaukee shall be a “no wake” area.
(aw) Senter Cove in the town of Moultonborough from the tip of Swallow Point located at Lot 45, Tax Map 200, southwest to the northernmost point of land on the shoreline of Moultonborough Neck located southeast of Wallace Island at Lot 9, Tax Map 200, shall be a “no wake” area.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitosalas View Post
There are certainly areas where a single No Wake Bouy causes some confusion. However the best thing to do, if you aren't sure where the "zone" is to slow down to the no wake speed early so that you don't see any possible way you are in violation.
Jonas Pilot (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
depasseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
There are certainly areas where a single No Wake Bouy causes some confusion. However the best thing to do, if you aren't sure where the "zone" is to slow down to the no wake speed early so that you don't see any possible way you are in violation.
Unless you are heading north under the Long Island Bridge and get 150' away from land, and then see a No Wake zone sign as you round the corner near the 2 Black top Markers. It's very confusing to know where the no wake zone is with poorly written guidance and without decent marking.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote