Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Grill Mount Question

Hey Guys/gals, my wife and daughter for Father's day got me an awesome Magma Grill (Chefsmate version) Got a great deal on it, and now I am trying to find the pedistal mount for it. Went to West Marine did not have any in stock in all of the East Coast, not even their supply warehouse.
Tried Basspro down here in MA no luck there either. I know I can get it online, but I was hoping to have it for this weekend

Anyone have any ideas, I checked Wallyworld on line, no luck there either.

What stores around the lake might have them and also in Belmont/Tilton Area
even New Hampton

Boat supplies/marianas as well is fine

Thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Hey Guys/gals, my wife and daughter for Father's day got me an awesome Magma Grill (Chefsmate version) Got a great deal on it, and now I am trying to find the pedistal mount for it. Went to West Marine did not have any in stock in all of the East Coast, not even their supply warehouse.
Tried Basspro down here in MA no luck there either. I know I can get it online, but I was hoping to have it for this weekend

even New Hampton

Thanks
Check with Parafunalia in Gilford. They sell Magma grills and accessories. If they don't have it they can usually get it in one day! I have bought and ordered a ton of stuff from them and they are a great LOCAL store!

Good luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Check with Parafunalia in Gilford. They sell Magma grills and accessories. If they don't have it they can usually get it in one day! I have bought and ordered a ton of stuff from them and they are a great LOCAL store!

Good luck!

Dan
I checked their website, did not find them, but was going to call them. I love that place

Anyone else have any ideas Just in Case
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
I checked their website, did not find them, but was going to call them. I love that place

Anyone else have any ideas Just in Case
Don't bother with their web site, never updated. I have seen Magma grills there many times, they have them and some accessories as I have bought accessories for mine there. Call them!

Dan
Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
sa meredith

Default great topic

You know...this is a great topic. Curious about others opinions regarding grilling on the water.
AC2717, I don't know what your application is. Meaning, do you have a large boat in a slip, where you spend weekends. And that is where the grill will be used? Because that would probably work well.
The reason I ask is this. We always thought it would be really cool if we could grill, while out with the family at whatever sandbar...usually West Alton. So we got one, had a mount drilled into the swim platform of our 24' bow rider...and off we went. We used it 2, maybe 3 times four years ago...and the grill has not seen the light of day sense. With 2 or 3 kids, and 2 or 3 adults...cold sandwiches are just so much easier. What seemed like a great novilty, just came with so many side effects. It just seemed like cooking utensils always got put down on a seat somewhere, leaving grease and fat to dry. While cooking, a boat would kick up a wake, and stuff flew everywhere. Really, when cooking, everyone has to sort of eat at the same time. While it is still hot. I don't know...somehow it just seemed like a complete chore, and instead of fun, it just always became extra work.
Now, maybe you have a 30' plus boat or whatever. But for us anyway, with a 24' (space can be limited) a cooler full cold sandwiches and the fixin's is just so much easier, and no work. You want to eat? There it is.
I do wish you well with your new grill. I am just curious if others have had similar experiences as us.

Last edited by sa meredith; 06-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
You know...this is a great topic. Curious about others opinions regarding grilling on the water.
AC2717, I don't know what your application is. Meaning, do you have a large boat in a slip, where you spend weekends. And that is where the grill will be used? Because that would probably work well.
The reason I ask is this. We always thought it would be really cool if we could grill, while out with the family at whatever sandbar...usually West Alton. So we got one, had a mount drilled into the swim platform of our 24' bow rider...and off we went. We used it 2, maybe 3 times four years ago...and the grill has not seen the light of day sense. With 2 or 3 kids, and 2 or 3 adults...cold sandwiches are just so much easier. What seemed like a great novilty, just came with so many side effects. It just seemed like cooking utensils always got put down on a seat somewhere, leaving great and fat to dry. While cooking, a boat would kick up a wake, and stuff flew everywhere. Really, when cooking, everyone has to sort of eat at the same time. While it is still hot. I don't know...somehow it just seemed like a complete chore, and instead of fun, it just always became extra work.
Now, maybe you have a 30' plus boat or whatever. But for us anyway, with a 24' (space can be limited) a cooler full cold sandwiches and the fixin's is just so much easier, and no work. You want to eat? There it is.
I do wish you well with your new grill. I am just curious if others have had similar experiences as us.
Application is the swim deck of 23 foot colbalt. UNderstand what you said about the pain in the neck. From what I research and my wife researched it was found that there were things to stay away from, grills without wind guards, round kettle style grills and grills without the utensil holders or a place to put them. Also grills that did not lock the grilling surface into place. I have a neighbr that uses his all the time on the water same style application. I got sick of sandwiches on the water, plus always making sure to pre make them or to have all of it in the cottage. then they could get soggy. Also we have built in coolers in the deck of the boat so no need to take up space with another cooler.

I understand with a boat wake and what not, what I alwasy thought of and I will have to learn it, is to keep the cover down when not flipping things and also this grill has a top latch. It got great reviews all over the place, I am kind of excited.

BY the way called Parafunailia (yeah I am working lol) they had them in stock, only a few dollars more than West Marine (but no tax up there) and they offered, without me asking, to hold one till Saturday when I get there

God I love that PLACE, they have always been good to me
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
The reason I ask is this. We always thought it would be really cool if we could grill, while out with the family at whatever sandbar...usually West Alton. So we got one, had a mount drilled into the swim platform of our 24' bow rider...and off we went. We used it 2, maybe 3 times four years ago...and the grill has not seen the light of day sense. With 2 or 3 kids, and 2 or 3 adults...cold sandwiches are just so much easier. What seemed like a great novilty, just came with so many side effects. It just seemed like cooking utensils always got put down on a seat somewhere, leaving great and fat to dry. While cooking, a boat would kick up a wake, and stuff flew everywhere. Really, when cooking, everyone has to sort of eat at the same time. While it is still hot. I don't know...somehow it just seemed like a complete chore, and instead of fun, it just always became extra work.
Before we had our camp we always grilled on our 24' pontoon boat in any quiet cove. Stonedam Island dock was one of our favorite spots. We had it down to a science however! My Magma Kettle grill was rail mounted and could easily be removed in seconds for storage. We had a dedicated set of cooking utensils that was always kept in the boat. Plastic knives, forks spoons, paper plates and napkins and other non perishable condiments such as salt and pepper were kept in a waterproof plastic container which also never left the boat except to be replenished. We would simply put our burgers, dogs and whatevers in a large cooler with ice or ice packs and bring it with us. We always carried an extra 1 lb bottle of propane also in a waterproof plastic storage box. We carried heavy duty contractor bags for all trash. Cheap plastic trash bags would always leak, contractor bags are the only way to go! You must cook only where the water will remain calm. My kettle grill did not drip grease it was made to burn all drippings and it did. The grill would swing out over the water when cooking for safety reasons.

Are sandwiches easier, yep, but there is just something really cool about grilling on the boat that always put a smile on everyone's face and I wouldn't trade that for the world!

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
sa meredith (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
sa meredith

Default really

Quote:
Application is the swim deck of 23 foot colbalt. UNderstand what you said about the pain in the neck. From what I research and my wife researched it was found that there were things to stay away from, grills without wind guards, round kettle style grills and grills without the utensil holders or a place to put them. Also grills that did not lock the grilling surface into place. I have a neighbr that uses his all the time on the water same style application. I got sick of sandwiches on the water, plus always making sure to pre make them or to have all of it in the cottage. then they could get soggy. Also we have built in coolers in the deck of the boat so no need to take up space with another cooler.

I understand with a boat wake and what not, what I alwasy thought of and I will have to learn it, is to keep the cover down when not flipping things and also this grill has a top latch. It got great reviews all over the place, I am kind of excited.

BY the way called Parafunailia (yeah I am working lol) they had them in stock, only a few dollars more than West Marine (but no tax up there) and they offered, without me asking, to hold one till Saturday when I get there

God I love that PLACE, they have always been good to me
OK...so it would seem you are going to be doing exactly what we did. We have the round kettle style, and the propane canister scews in underneath. Perhaps your's is more user friendly. I remember being so psyched to use it, and it just seemed to become work.
Where's the ketchep...I want mustard...my steak tips aren't cooked enough...I think the fire blew out...I don't want to eat yet, I want to play in the water...STAY AWAY FROM THAT HOT GRILL!...we can't stow it, it's filthy...
aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!
All in fun...not trying to rain on your parade. Truth be told, maybe with the kids being older, it might work better.
It just makes me cringe, thinking back. Seriously, that thing has been sitting now for 3 or 4 years. Sometimes guests will ask, "What's this small mount screwed into your swim platform?" I'll tell them and they always say"wow, that sounds like fun...let's do it" And my answer is always, "Yeah, next time."
Maybe come back to this thread and post after you have had at it a time or two. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Have a great summer!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
camp guy

Default Grill Mount Question

Having cold sandwiches, chips, pickles, and other finger foods on a boat is eating; having grilled burgers, hotdogs, or steaks, corn on the cob, and mixed vegetables is dining.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
jrc

You can try Defender.com, online sales should be able to get it overnight. Shipping will sting a little.Disregard, seems like Parafunalia saved your day, one of my favorites as well

Last edited by jrc; 06-23-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: read then post
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I use my grill all the time, and love it. However that said to not be a pain in the butt you really have to get the logistics down to a science and I have a limited number of things that I will grill as I've learned what works well and what makes a huge mess.

Key things clean the grill completely after each use, mine is completely disassembled and scrubbed and I had my sister make me a really nice heavy duty nylon storage bag for the grill which keeps it all together in a handy package stored always in my under the floor ski locker. I also avoid cooking foods that are really juicy when they cook. I thought ahead when I bought my grill, it mounts to my fish pole holders and extends out over the side of the boat which is nice and out of the way. Mounting rod is small enough to be stored inside the grill when not in use. My sunpad in the rear is my kitchen and buffet counters just use a towel as a table cloth, in dash cooler is the fridge. Guess it comes down to how much you want to make it work or not.

Annual tradition - mesquite marinated venison tips from the fall hunting season and cold adult beverages for the 4th of July. Simply cannot beat it IMHO. To eat anything less would be uncivilized

Rest of the time it's sausages, hot dogs, chicken, heck I've even pre-fabbed burritos and grilled them only needing to worry about assembling the stuff you don't want cooked after the fact. That's REALLY good, basted with a smidge of butter while cooking, even better! Now I'm hungry.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
MAXUM

Now really how can you possibly go wrong here?
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-23-2011), bkgoodman (07-28-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
spider22

Quote:

even New Hampton

Thanks
Even though I don't own a boat and am not a big boater this sounds like a great idea and I agree it is definitely better than cold sandwiches. Like I said not a big boater but do love to grill. I hope you enjoy it AC2717
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Chaos

Default I've got one

AC2717, I've got the one that fits in a Scotty rod holder mount. It's yours if you want it. My old boat had Scotty rod holders installed, new boat no rod holders.

you can PM me if you're interested.

By the way, I LOVE grilling on the water! I hate it when I forget the gas
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
NoRegrets

Irwin Marine's ship store has a selection of the Magma stoves and mounts. Call first to see if they have the one you are looking for. We use ours often and find they cool quickly after the heat is turned off.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
AC2717, I've got the one that fits in a Scotty rod holder mount. It's yours if you want it. My old boat had Scotty rod holders installed, new boat no rod holders.

you can PM me if you're interested.

By the way, I LOVE grilling on the water! I hate it when I forget the gas
thank you, but no rod holders either
i would love to take youup on the offer
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Liquorish

How about doing both! Sandwiches first for lunch and then at the end of the day firing up the grill and watching the sunset...can't wait!
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #18
MAXUM

Quote:
thank you, but no rod holders either
i would love to take youup on the offer

$8.99 from Cabelas (search Cabela's QuickDraw and 360HT Optional Mounts) and 4 screws from the hardware store and you have a mount point. Scotty makes these for Cabelas, I have a set of them and that mount setup is awesome.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #19
gslpro

Default What a mess!!

Hey AC2717. I also own the Chefsmate grill. I will tell you a few things that I have found. It will be a mess after the first time you cook something more than hotdogs on it. I did tips on it, and the grill hasn't looked the same since. I suppose that you can protect the inside with aluminum foil, but I guess if I am going to worry about it that much, I wouldn't bother using it in the first place. Secondly, forget getting the grill grates clean while out in the water. There is too much movement to try to use a traditional scraper with it. I find taking them off the boat to wash with a scotch brite pad in the sink the only way to go. Does food taste better on the grill, yes! Is it worth it? I am still out on that. I did grill in some pretty high wind last weekend. I was pleasantly surprised that the flame did not blow out. It is a well designed grill. I guess I just need a bigger sink on board to be able to clean the grilling grates.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gslpro For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #20
jarhead0341

The grill is the best... cooked everything from pizza bites to bison tips with potatoes and asparagus out on the water.... have plenty of foil with you and buy the canvas storage bag that they make for most grills and life will be good
jarhead0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorish View Post
How about doing both! Sandwiches first for lunch and then at the end of the day firing up the grill and watching the sunset...can't wait!
Oh yeah!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Irrigation Guy

Great post. I have a magma kettle type grill with a round type rail mount. Now have a pontoon and need a square rail mount. Not sure how much we'd use the grill so don't want to pay $50 for a different mount. Just thought someone may have a square tube mount they'd like to sell? Dan?
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Great post. I have a magma kettle type grill with a round type rail mount. Now have a pontoon and need a square rail mount. Not sure how much we'd use the grill so don't want to pay $50 for a different mount. Just thought someone may have a square tube mount they'd like to sell? Dan?
Hi LocalRealtor;

Sorry but I still use mine occasionally and wouldn't want to part with it. This is the one you need though and I would bet Parafunalia has a better price on it...

Dan
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
Mboro_Bill

Default My solution for the grill mount

Some may consider this an unwise location inside the boat but it works for us. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a way to mount the grill without drilling holes in the hull. I finally decided to screw a block of PT wood (2"x6"x10") to the bottom of the bow hatch cover under the finger hole. This seemed to be the best solution since the majority of seating is in the rear. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the PT block through the finger hole and use the standard stainless mounting rod. I also notched the hole in the PT for the roll pin so it does not turn once inserted. One thing I did have to do is heat and bend the mounting rod to about a 45 degree angle so it raised the grill above the side seat cushions. To use the grill, I just remove the cushion, screw the mounting rod on the bottom of the grill and slip in the mounting hole. When I screw on the propane tank it just lies on the cover (not in picture). Then I sit down and start cooking. We use a large nylon bag to carry the grill to the boat. Mostly we have just cooked hot dogs so far as they have less drippings. I agree with a previous post about cleaning after every use.
Attached Images

Mboro_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Hi LocalRealtor;

Sorry but I still use mine occasionally and wouldn't want to part with it. This is the one you need though and I would bet Parafunalia has a better price on it...

Dan
Thanks for the reply Dan. I was under the impression(from this thread) you no longer had a pontoon boat. My mistake. I will check parafunalia, always found them very helpful there.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #26
AC2717

Mount on!
sorry no pictures, Parafunalia was great, and had the mount set up and leveled in about an hour and a half! Grilling next weekend, weather was not great this weekend.

Oh also replaced the oil tank in the jetski so was busy this weekend, all in prepping for ten straight days starting friday

DO not want to do any type of work on vacation
Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #27
Belmont Resident

Default how about for the home?

I gave up on those cheap grills you get now a day. We have one of the party size grills mounted out on our deck at home.
These grills last forever, I bought my first one back in 98 and it’s still in use on my wife’s boat now.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #28
4Fun

Quote:
Mount on!
sorry no pictures, Parafunalia was great, and had the mount set up and leveled in about an hour and a half! Grilling next weekend, weather was not great this weekend.

Oh also replaced the oil tank in the jetski so was busy this weekend, all in prepping for ten straight days starting friday

DO not want to do any type of work on vacation
How did you end up leveling the grill? I am installing the same set up this week? Shim the mount on the grill side??
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Default Mmmm bacon!!

If you want to try something different, easy and very tasty you must try these. I buy frozen scallops wrapped in bacon from Sams. They have large wood skewers/toothpicks and cook up incredibly easy, fast and super good on a grill.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 06-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
How did you end up leveling the grill? I am installing the same set up this week? Shim the mount on the grill side??
USed, stainless steel fender washers under the base mount to the swim deck.
leveled the mount base, and the rest fell into place, level base, means level pedistal, means level grill

Also I just did not level up on one screw, i filled in on the other screws that the mount was not flush on, so to make sure it would not woble or if stepped on not crack due to no support
Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #31
FormulaBRW

Default Lots of choices

Been using the kettle grill for over 8 years now and could not be happier. Was able to mount on the canopy rod over the water and have a nice counter area on the boat for prep and work station.

Best recommendations are quesadillas, reheating pizza, Chicken Fajiatas, hot buffalo chicken salads just to name a few.

Amazing what a little effort and ingenuity can come up with.

Could not agree more with issues on the back swim platform being in the way and worrying about children and guests bumping into it.
FormulaBRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #32
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaBRW View Post
Been using the kettle grill for over 8 years now and could not be happier. Was able to mount on the canopy rod over the water and have a nice counter area on the boat for prep and work station.

Best recommendations are quesadillas, reheating pizza, Chicken Fajiatas, hot buffalo chicken salads just to name a few.

Amazing what a little effort and ingenuity can come up with.

Could not agree more with issues on the back swim platform being in the way and worrying about children and guests bumping into it.
I would have to say it depends on the boat style and the swim deck. Our is big enough and far enough away from the seats that there is no reason for anyone to touch it unless they are the cook!
also the ladded on the swin deck is on the complete opposite side of the swin deck. SOmeone will be able to stand on the swin deck and cook and there still be room for someone to stand behind them and then again someone come up the ladder, but I would never let that much weight on the swin deck. Also the way my stern is set up you can sit on the transom and cook
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #33
VtSteve

This will be season #5 for my Magma Kettle grill. I have it mounted on the starboard gunwale, where it's mostly out of the way. I fairly quick mount release, and a small hole in the gunwale, capped with a rubber cap. I need to replace it this year, the UV rays have killed it.

Never a problem, clean up is easy. I stow it in its bag when cooled off, no muss, no fuss.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #34
spider22

Default How's it working

AC I was just curious how it has been working for you
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
AC I was just curious how it has been working for you
Loving it, the size of the grill and where we anchor out, sand bars, very little if any wake, it is perfect, also the grill is not in the way, I highly reccommend one!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #36
DBreskin

Disclaimer: I am not advocating the setup I describe below, even though the food looked and smelled GREAT!

Yesterday we saw a group of boats rafted up about 250' away and saw smoke from their grill wafting across the water. It appeared the grill was floating in the water. I decided I had to see what they'd set up.

I waded over to take a look, and in fact the grill WAS floating in the water. This removed all chance to soil or burn their boat. It was a standard low-cost backyard charcoal grill, about 18" square, set in a wood frame and on top of a 24" square by 3" thick piece of floatation foam. There was also a shelf attached to the side of the frame. The wood contacted the grill on two sides, and the chef kept the wood from burning by splashing water on it periodically; of course there was plenty of water close at hand. The chef also kept one hand on the grill to steady it in the waves and keep it from floating away.

The chef had a 30' boat so there was plenty of room to store his contraption.

Separately, someone else had used 3/4" galvanized pipe and made what looked like a pitch fork with three tines, it was about 6' long overall; he stuck it vertically into the sand in about 3' of water and screwed his Magma grill onto it. He grilled about 5' from his boat.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #37
AB_Monterey

I saw an interesting set-up a couple years ago at the West Alton sandbar. The guy was standing in about 3 ft of water with the grill mounted to a tri-top. I spoke to the cook for a couple minutes and he said that while his friends use camera tri-pods, he prefered a surveyors model because it had a little more weight to it and spikes on the legs to bury in the sand.

Really nice set-up.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote