Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > ForumFests > ForumFest VI (2009)
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Winnipesaukee.com’s ForumFest – How the Tradition Began

ForumFest got started on July 19. 2004 when Grant posted Winnipesaukee.com Forum Gathering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hey -- After all these years and posts on here, I wonder why we haven't staged a semi-official "gathering" somewhere during the summer...

Wouldn't it be cool to associate some faces to the names you've come to knwo through this forum? Personally, I'd like to meet (and thank) Don. And who wouldn't want to say "hey" to "The Eagle"???
The gathering idea was well received and the ideas started flying.

Gilly 20 was the first to suggest the gathering could be a fundraiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly 20 View Post
This is the neatest website in cyberspace. The folks on this forum are terrific- not to mention the great job the webmaster does!. I am all for a forum reunion and if we could make it a fundraiser, so much the better. I don't want to hear any excuses like "I can't make it!"-- because I will be comming from Florida!--Ah- love this forum, and love "God's country" that it addresses!
Grant’s ideas of what the gathering should be were grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Pythons, boats, PWCs, massive throngs of people...the Web-driven answer to Bike Week (without the arrests).

Wow -- this has the potential to evolve into Lakeapaloozah 2004.

We might have to rent out Brookwood Farm and invite the Allman Brothers to serve as official event crooners.

Know what would be cool? If someone had a big old island...and a microbrewery...and a connection with Los Lonely Boys...and...
Merrymeeting vetoes Lakeapaloozah as a name for the gathering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Sorry. Lakapolozza (or however you spell it) is already taken. That's the name for the annual Labor Day lake party at Merrymeeting. You can even buy hats and t-shirts with the name at the local marina.

I like the idea of a get-together though.
Mee-n-Mac works on a new name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
...we want a name that will last and we can take pride in if this comes off. I humbly off these few suggestions to spark some thoughts ...

Winnipalooza (to go with what's been mentioned), WinniWhoopla, WinniWingding
Winni Forum Frolic, Winni Forum Fiesta
Winnipamboree, Winnipesboree, Winnipescapade

[new idea but a bit 'sweet'] Winni Forum Frendezvous

personally I'd think some take-off on an Indian name for meeting (Winnipespowwow, aarrrggg) or such would be appropriate but I can't put it together.
Initially the fest was being planned as a water event. Mee-n-Mac realizes some forum regulars may not be boaters and proposes a rendezvous at a town dock.

Just Sold suggests "WinniGathering" and Grant suggests Lakestock.

Lakegeezer picks the date of September 11th. Poor Grant, who started this whole thing, is unable to make the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
With the posts about after Labor day, how about Saturday, the 11'th of September. Sort of a reunion to the flotilla that the members of the forum pulled together three years ago following the famous 9/11. Winter Harbor sounds great for a location. How many boats can fit in there?
DRH jumps in and suggests Cate Park in Wolfeboro and McDude offers to arrange the date and time.

Scott Hughes comes up with a catchy name, but Mee-n-Mac isn’t quite sure yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott hughes View Post
I say we call it forumfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
*How about (to be said with scary Friday 13'th intonation) WinniForumFest:Grant's Gathering (bwaaahaaa) for a name ? Next year it could be WinniForumFest:RG's Revenge (w/apologies to Rattlesnake Gal)
Get's us out of the whole I, II, III, IV ... thing which has be so done already
The first ForumFest was a huge success! We knew this was the beginning of a new tradition for Winnipesaukee.com.

It was great fun to put a face to the names. There were a few surprises too. Outlaw, whom we all thought was a man, was a woman!

Outlaw, McDude and Cabin Fever

We discovered that Lakegeezer was in no way geezer.

If you look real close you can kinda see him.

Roger Amsden of The Weirs Times showed up to cover our very first ForumFest.

Click here to go to picture in PhotoPost

Click here for 2004 ForumFest photos

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 05-20-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Add photos and links
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
callmeD (06-14-2009), Just Sold (05-20-2009), Sunset Bob (05-19-2009), Waterbaby (05-24-2009), webmaster (06-10-2009)