Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Shreddy

Default Wooden Boats

I bought a classic Chris Craft toward the end of the summer and intend on restoring/freshening it up. It's got an old Chevy 283 in it that needs to be rebuilt. Exterior looks decent, but I plan to strip it all the way down, flip it, and put a no soak bottom on, re-stain, varnish, etc., etc. Interior will also need a facelift as well. I've read Danenberg's bible on restoring wooden boats and I'm looking forward to this project.

I've called Lakes Region Wooden Boats a few times, but no answer. Was looking to pick their brain on some costs and assistance. Any other good shops or even hobbyists to recommend on a project like this?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
Dave R

I think that will be a cool project. Would love to see pics of the project progress.

The Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY could probably help you out with contacts for advice. It's a really cool place and a great area to visit too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
FlyingScot

Super! This is a beautiful thing to do. Like Dave, I hope you'll share pics along the way
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I bought a classic Chris Craft toward the end of the summer and intend on restoring/freshening it up. It's got an old Chevy 283 in it that needs to be rebuilt. Exterior looks decent, but I plan to strip it all the way down, flip it, and put a no soak bottom on, re-stain, varnish, etc., etc. Interior will also need a facelift as well. I've read Danenberg's bible on restoring wooden boats and I'm looking forward to this project.

I've called Lakes Region Wooden Boats a few times, but no answer. Was looking to pick their brain on some costs and assistance. Any other good shops or even hobbyists to recommend on a project like this?

Thanks!
Shreddy,

I hope you post progress pics here on the forum as I am sure much like myself, many would love to see!

What a great project!

Good luck with it!!

Dan
Old 10-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:

Thanks!
The Chevrolet 283 engine was one of the best engines ever produced by General Motors. I'm confident you'll be happy with it once it is rebuilt!

Looking forward to your photos and best of luck with your project!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Denis D

I know Bo and Kathy Mueller have a good reputation, their shop is located on Lake Sunapee. The other source to try is The New Hampshire Boat Museum in Wolfeboro, they have members that are active in restorations.

It's a great project I'm sure you will enjoy, I'm a couple of years into mine.

Denis D
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis D View Post
I know Bo and Kathy Mueller have a good reputation, their shop is located on Lake Sunapee. The other source to try is The New Hampshire Boat Museum in Wolfeboro, they have members that are active in restorations.

It's a great project I'm sure you will enjoy, I'm a couple of years into mine.

Denis D
Denis - nice project! Are you doing a 5200 bottom or going epoxy?

Everyone else...Will gladly share some pictures along the way, including her original state. 1962 ski boat!
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Shreddy

Clearly didn't like the way I uploaded it and I'm struggling to get it to rotate. I've got it rotated on my computer, just not on the upload which is weird.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Classic?

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll end up with a real prize winner. "Classic" means different things to different people. What's the year and model of your boat? Am I correct that CC started using the 283 in the mid- Also, Scott Hayeslate 50's?
I agree, NHBM could be a great source of info from some really serious restorers. There are Chris Craft enthusiast sites on the web, some devoted to specific lines, like the Chris Craft Commander Club. The right one could be good source for chrome pieces, gauges, etc. Commercial folks in this business include Hi-Gloss Boat Restoration (on FB) in Gilford and Inland Boat Works in Milton http://www.woodboats.org/http://www.woodboats.org/ Also, Scott Hayes in Hebron (603-520-4065).
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Clearly didn't like the way I uploaded it and I'm struggling to get it to rotate. I've got it rotated on my computer, just not on the upload which is weird.
I rotated the image for you. This article explains why this happens:

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
erick26 (11-01-2020), Shreddy (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Denis D

Quote:
Denis - nice project! Are you doing a 5200 bottom or going epoxy?

Everyone else...Will gladly share some pictures along the way, including her original state. 1962 ski boat!
I'm doing a 5200 bottom via Danenberg method. If you're not already on it, you should sign into the forums on Don's website. You can ask him questions directly and he is great at answering and sharing his knowledge. Also, if you join the Chris Craft Antique Boat club, they also have a forum where members are very helpful and for a fun site, visit Woody Boater.

http://eveforum.danenbergboatworks.com/eve

https://chris-craft.org/

https://www.woodyboater.com/

BTW, mine is a 1948 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout.

Denis D
Old 10-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Hi Gloss Restoration

https://www.facebook.com/HiGlossBoatRestoration/

They should be able to help you. They design and built a wooden racecraft that looks absolutely gorgeous!
Old 10-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #13
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll end up with a real prize winner. "Classic" means different things to different people. What's the year and model of your boat? Am I correct that CC started using the 283 in the mid- Also, Scott Hayeslate 50's?
I agree, NHBM could be a great source of info from some really serious restorers. There are Chris Craft enthusiast sites on the web, some devoted to specific lines, like the Chris Craft Commander Club. The right one could be good source for chrome pieces, gauges, etc. Commercial folks in this business include Hi-Gloss Boat Restoration (on FB) in Gilford and Inland Boat Works in Milton http://www.woodboats.org/http://www.woodboats.org/ Also, Scott Hayes in Hebron (603-520-4065).
I'm going purely by Danenberg where a "Historic" is a boat built before 1919, "Antique" is built between 1919 and 1942, a "Classic" is between 1943 and 1968, and a "Production Contemporary" is built between 1969 to present
Old 10-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis D View Post
I'm doing a 5200 bottom via Danenberg method. If you're not already on it, you should sign into the forums on Don's website. You can ask him questions directly and he is great at answering and sharing his knowledge. Also, if you join the Chris Craft Antique Boat club, they also have a forum where members are very helpful and for a fun site, visit Woody Boater.

http://eveforum.danenbergboatworks.com/eve

https://chris-craft.org/

https://www.woodyboater.com/

BTW, mine is a 1948 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout.

Denis D
Thanks, Denis. I'm already a registered member on Danenberg's forum and the Boat Buzz (CC) forum which are helpful. I'll look into woodyboater as well.

Separately - AWESOME on the 48 Deluxe! I have a lead on and will also be purchasing a 47 Deluxe runabout and restoring that as well! I wanted the skier to start and to be the fun boat and then the 47 Deluxe to be the slow cruising show boat I might message you on the side on your restoration of your deluxe. Steam bending the barrel seems the most intimidating part of that restoration.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Denis D

Quote:
Thanks, Denis. I'm already a registered member on Danenberg's forum and the Boat Buzz (CC) forum which are helpful. I'll look into woodyboater as well.

Separately - AWESOME on the 48 Deluxe! I have a lead on and will also be purchasing a 47 Deluxe runabout and restoring that as well! I wanted the skier to start and to be the fun boat and then the 47 Deluxe to be the slow cruising show boat I might message you on the side on your restoration of your deluxe. Steam bending the barrel seems the most intimidating part of that restoration.
That will be a great combination with the Skier and Deluxe. Yeah, steam bending that lower transom bow in white oak is a challenge, it took me 2 tries. Feel free to message me, I'll help any way I can.

Denis D
Shreddy (11-02-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #16
Fastfury

Join The antique and classic “society in Clayton New York, do not take advice from commercial people Like Dannenberg,
This is the largest organization of Wood boat collectors in the world
The cost is minimal and you have access to all the collectors in the country via their website..
5200 is the way to go, stay away from Epoxy with Wood the two don’t mix. I restored 20 wood boats over the years. Still have one on The lake, it’s been 15 years since it’s restoration and I still have the original bottom
Good luck and have fun
That’s what it’s all about, and then bring her ACBS show in Wolfeboro, they are part of the International organization

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Fastfury is offline   Reply With Quote