Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default The Tamarack

So much has been written in this forum in the past about what was for years the standard of excellence in the Lakes Region for fried seafood and basically for their entire menu.
We went to a wedding on Saturday and returned to our place in Meredith at just about 8 PM. We were both tired and somewhat hungry and neither of us felt like cooking....so we headed out....my initial destination was Blazin' Bill's...I wish we had kept to that plan.
The Tamarack is just over a mile from the cottage and on an impulse, I turned left into the almost empty parking lot...approximately 8:15 on a Saturday night...I think I should have guessed why we were part of their last "rush" which included 2 other parties.
I ordered a scallop plate, my wife opted for the cheeseburger basket..and we got a small side of onion rings.
The onion rings were pretty good...lightly battered, well cooked and not very greasy or oiley. They lacked a little bit of flavor, but overall, not bad.
The scallops barely get a passing grade, they seemed too small to be sea scallops and were more than likely bay scallops....shame on me for not asking. The batter was on the soggy side and they didn't have a taste of freshness about them. The fries on the bottom of the plate were soggy and totally undercooked...so much so that they literally stuck to the plate. Besides the scallops and fries, on the plate were undistinguishable pieces of overcooked fried "stuff" that was totally disgusting. I think I recognized a piece of a fried clam, and some other overcooked pieces of batter from whatever was cooked previously in the fryolator basket. Pretty disgusting, to say the least.
My wife's cheeseburger was OK..."just OK" according to her, but her fries shared the same characteristics as mine, soggy and undercooked.
As we were eating, we were both obviously very disappointed in the choice we had made about stopping at the Tamarack after we had planned to go elsewhere. She said, "Honey, the next time you want to get something from the Tamarack, how about you don't, and say you did".
Message given, message recieved. We won't be going back.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
RailroadJoe

They have gone really downhill in the last two years. Went once last year. First and last time.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
gonetoolong

Default To both Phantom & Railroad Joe...

I'm Jim Clayton the owner of Tamarack. Since I took over the Tamarack from my brothers 2 years ago I have made a sincere effort to improve things here. Everything from the quality of the products we get to the quality of the cooks that we've hired. From your posts I see that I still have work to do..
I'm honestly upset that we didn't meet your standards (and mine!) & if you'll both allow me the chance, I'll make every effort to make it up to you... Please come in and ask for either Tracy(my manager) or I. If I don't know there's a problem, I can't fix it....

Sincerely,

Jim Clayton
gonetoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gonetoolong For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-28-2011), Irish mist (06-27-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-27-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
gtagrip

Default I'm sorry but...

Does a owner of a business/restaurant really need to be made aware of the following?

The scallops barely get a passing grade, they seemed too small to be sea scallops and were more than likely bay scallops....shame on me for not asking. The batter was on the soggy side and they didn't have a taste of freshness about them. The fries on the bottom of the plate were soggy and totally undercooked...so much so that they literally stuck to the plate. Besides the scallops and fries, on the plate were undistinguishable pieces of overcooked fried "stuff" that was totally disgusting. I think I recognized a piece of a fried clam, and some other overcooked pieces of batter from whatever was cooked previously in the fryolator basket. Pretty disgusting, to say the least.

You are cooking and presenting food to customers. With all due respect, I would think you would be aware of how orders/food is going out of the kitchen to your customers. Or am I missing something?
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (07-03-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Does a owner of a business/restaurant really need to be made aware of the following?

You are cooking and presenting food to customers. With all due respect, I would think you would be aware of how orders/food is going out of the kitchen to your customers. Or am I missing something?
I think you have to give the person a reasonable amount of time to reconcile, it was late and night and maybe the staff was not up to snuff and wanted to get out of there, I think it is good that the business owner got wind of it here on the forum and will be making an effort
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Sounds familiar from 8/11/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Jim, I'm the last of the 3 brothers still involved with Tamarack. I am SO sorry that your experience at Tamarack was a bad one ! In the last 2 years that I've been running it I have put in a lot of effort to see that everything that goes out our windows is far above average. The only time we use frozen clams is when the price spikes from about $70.00 up to $110 - $120 a gallonMy only wish is that if you have a problem, please please please, bring it to our attention! If we don't know there's a problem, we can't fix it and believe me, we want to fix any issues before we read about them like this.[/COLOR] Again, I am very sorry we weren't up to your expectations. Also, it gives us a chance to backtrack the issue, was it the cook, was it the fryer, the clam fry, the product?....whatever, we want (& need) to know! I want happy customers and not dissapointed ones. Please come in again and ask for me or for Tracey. I promise I will make this right for you.

Sincerely,

Jim Clayton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I think you have to give the person a reasonable amount of time to reconcile, it was late and night and maybe the staff was not up to snuff and wanted to get out of there, I think it is good that the business owner got wind of it here on the forum and will be making an effort
So, because the staff wanted to get out of there, it's acceptable to put out an inferior product? HMMM....let me run that by my customers.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
gtagrip

Quote:
O.K. I understans about the reconcilation, but after 2 years, I would expect the food to be up to par by just a tad. Soggy greasy fries?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
O.K. I understans about the reconcilation, but after 2 years, I would expect the food to be up to par by just a tad. Soggy greasy fries?
not that I want to fight with you on this, just playing devil's advocate
but have you ever gone to your favorite place and the food has not been up to par the one once or twice?

not sticking up for anyone just saying, I know I have
Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
gtagrip

Quote:
not that I want to fight with you on this, just playing devil's advocate
but have you ever gone to your favorite place and the food has not been up to par the one once or twice?

not sticking up for anyone just saying, I know I have
Got it! I guess my point is that there have been numerous complaints over the last few years and they all seem to be about the same.
Yes, absolutely have gone to my favorite place and the food was not up to par. But, it's my favorite place because more times than not, the food is excellent!
brk-lnt (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Not for me

I went there about 3 years ago and will not return. New owners or not the fact an establishment shuts down after summer is over says volumes for the quality of the food.
Any place that’s really good will be able to sustain itself all year long.
Good enough for the tourists but not up to the standards of those who live here year round?
My.02
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Jmo77011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I went there about 3 years ago and will not return. New owners or not the fact an establishment shuts down after summer is over says volumes for the quality of the food.
Good enough for the tourists but not up to the standards of those who live here year round?
My.02
It has always been a summer establishment, which is not uncommon around the lake. It seems like the big problems are the food, the service and the prices. That's too bad. When I was a kid my dad would take us over for onion rings and ice cream. It was so good! Now...not so much.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
My.02
I don't think summer-only is any indicator of food quality. If you look at the layout and location of the Tamarack I don't think they'd do very good over the winter.

Sawyers is another place that shuts down in the winter, and I've never heard of any complaints with them, and I've never had a bad meal there.
Rattlesnake Guy (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
gonetoolong

Default Mea Culpa

Folks, this is sort of a difficult thing for me to say but, I’ll do my best. When we took over Tamarack in ’07 we did so with a certain amount of arrogance & lack of knowledge. We were ‘deaf’ & we ‘knew better’. In my defense (& this is the ONLY defense I have) I bowed to my brother who “has experience running a restaurant’. It was against my better judgement but ultimately, my name is on the dotted line and I am the one who is responsible & I answer to you….

Thru a series of events that are too difficult to explain here, everything fell into my lap in the winter of ’09. For lack of other guidance I turned here, I read all the criticism’s and suggestions and complaints. Believe me, I took them seriously & I learned a lot! Many (most) I agreed with . Slow service, high prices, small portions.

Tracy, our manager, my wife & I spent the winter of ’09 redesigning our line to speed up & improve service. We redesigned the menu; we lowered our prices and increased the portions. We hired more experienced staff. In ’10 we began a face lift that will continue…

Now during the course of the day when I check with customers to see if they’re happy, 99% of the time I get an enthusiastic response. If I don’t get that response, I address it immediately and make it right. When I hear (or read) a response like Phantom or Railroad, I take it to heart and I address it with my staff (& myself).

If a cook has a bad day or is in a rush etc, that’s no excuse. If you pay for a good meal then that is exactly what you should get & no less!

Siksukr, yes, I’ve said it in the past & I said it yesterday & I’ll say it again. Simply because I’m committed to it. Not every meal will be perfect but if I’m aware of ANY shortcomings I WILL make it right.

This is my ‘Mea Culpa’. Anything I read here will be taken seriously and be used to help win back your support and patronage.

Sincerely,

Jim Clayton
Tamarack
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gonetoolong For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-29-2011), chipj29 (06-30-2011), gtagrip (06-29-2011), Meredith lady (06-30-2011), NHBUOY (06-29-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (06-29-2011), ronc4424 (06-29-2011), SIKSUKR (06-29-2011), tricia1218 (07-07-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
Mink Islander

Default Summer only restaurants doesn't mean inferior quality

Quote:
My.02
Sorry BR, but you are way off base here. There are summer clam shacks/restaurants all over that open up to meet summer demand in tourist/beach areas and then close for the season after Labor Day. The Tamarack has ALWAYs been a seasonal restaurant. I attribute the quality of the food far more to management than to its operating season.

In my experience some of the WORST food comes from year-round restaurants in the off season when they have little staff and few customers. How old did you say that fish is again?
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
jrc

Based on that honest and heartfelt response from Jim, I have to give them another try.

I like others, lost interest in the Tamarack over the last few years. I havn't been there in at least three seasons.

BR, if you leave out "summer only" places, where can you buy fried fish?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
sa meredith

Default always the same story...

Somehow, I remember loving this place as a little kid. I think it had the same name, but I'm not sure.
Anyway...I try it once a year, and always the same story...hit or miss...avarage at best...OVERPRICED!
And, the anual thread about Tamarack on this forum pretty much reads the same...as Siksukr pointed out.
I can appreciate Jim posting, and taking responsibility. But I don't get it. That location...good parking...outdoor tables...the place screams at you to stop as you drive by. You get hungry just looking at it. It really should completely freakin' rock. Food quality, service, etc...seriously...it seems there is no reason that Tamarack should not be a summer time cash register. Yet, the food is just OK...service can be iffy...and a couple years back, a family of 4 could easily drop 70/80 bucks for lunch. Although I guess they have lowered prices. I didn't notice, but maybe was not paying attention.
Think I'll give them a try tonight or Friday afternoon...what the heck.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (06-29-2011), Pineedles (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
swimfan

Thumbs up some positive reviews....

Jim,

your lobster roll is AWESOME! All my meals last season were exactly what I expected....good service, good food, and the price is ok. I am looking forward to heading there this weekend for my first Winnipesaukee trip of the season.

Randy
swimfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swimfan For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
lake4life

I haven't been to The Tamarack since I was a kid, usually on the way back from Funspot. Since that time, I had heard of it as a tourist trap of sorts, but the next time I'm in the mood for a lobster roll, I will stop by and give them another try. I'm always down to patronize a locally owned establishment, as I own a small business and can definitely empathize with someone trying to make it in the area.

Here's hoping for the best in your efforts to revive the quality and value.
lake4life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lake4life For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
gtagrip

I will be up for vacation the second week in July with the family and will give the Tamarack a try. I will report back upon my return or even while up there if I feel like logging on!
gonetoolong (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
Belmont Resident

Default Believe it or not.

Give South End Pizza a try. I believe you will find they have some of the freshest and best price per portion around. I've been going there for years and have never heard a complaint from those I've referred, and, they were voted one of the best around last year.
They are not open Sundays.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
LongBay

Default TamaTrap

The place has never been the same since the original owners sold out some time back. Maybe it will have a comeback soon so I make anther post titled TamaBack.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
VtSteve

Jim, I have to first commend you on your bravery, and apparent honesty. Humble is great, listening is terrific.

As you may have noticed, the Tamarack is one of the best known places in that part of the lakes region. It has a very long history. The lobster rolls were what I always ordered first.

I suggest the following. First, people need to be as fair in prices as they are to Pops. Let's face it, seafood isn't cheap, at least not good seafood. Jim, as a consultant, I recommend that you go to Pops and ask for some assistance. It's obvious from the past 2-3 years you need some, in spite of your great intentions and hard effort. It happens to us all. The restaurant business is incredibly fickle, and the customers can be demanding

You're not in direct competition with Pops, so I see no harm, no foul. You sound like a pretty nice guy that wants this to work, and you've apparently been stuck with it.

Give it a try. I think the owner of Pops has been on this forum, lets see if he can find you and maybe hit you with a PM and a meeting.

What's say Pops and Jim get together and get this Tamarack train rolling like never before?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (06-29-2011), gonetoolong (07-01-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-29-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
Mink Islander

Default Another review

I decided to swing in to the Tamarack for an early dinner yesterday. I had the whole clam plate dinner plus a large Pepsi. Total cost almost $23!

The clams were great. Nicely fried. Not greasy. Likewise, the fries were crisp and hot. Ample quantity of both. My only complaint is that the slaw had quite a bit of black pepper in it. Was fine for me, but others might find it too much.

Just a bit pricey to have this as a regular stop for the family but a great stop when you're craving fried clams! I would definitely go back.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (07-01-2011), VitaBene (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
Rattlesnake Guy

Steve,
I have a lot of respect for you. Today I drove past both Pop's and the Tamarack 2 times. I think some would fairly consider them competitors. And competition is good for all of us.

BTW, plenty of folks were lined up at the Tamarack and Pop's.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
VtSteve (07-03-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #26
garysanfran

Default I remember Tamarack always being there...

When did Tamarack originally open? I remember it being there since my introduction to the Lake. That would be 1960. Like Funspot and Basket World, it was a landmark of local business stability (rare in the Lakes Region). Always there, year-after-year. Now Basket World is gone and I can't imagine that corner without The Tamarack. I wish them great success and will visit next time I'm in the area. I look forward to "new" feedback on their food.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
gonetoolong

Default Gary...

Tamarack was built in 62 by Ma & Joe Gilbert and opened in the spring of 63..
I don't know the years but the Gilberts sold it to the LaFlammes, I believe they then sold it to the Fernalds. The Fernalds then sold it to The El Fars & my brothers and I bought it in '07. My Oldest brother was the Gilberts fry cook when they 1st opened in '63...he is no longer with us. Wait...well, he's not 'no longer with us' in that sense...he's no longer with us cause he's gone to Ohio....which I think is about the same....

Jim Clayton
The Following User Says Thank You to gonetoolong For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-01-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #28
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Steve,
I have a lot of respect for you. Today I drove past both Pop's and the Tamarack 2 times. I think some would fairly consider them competitors. And competition is good for all of us.

BTW, plenty of folks were lined up at the Tamarack and Pop's.
Thanks RG, same here.

Not really direct competitors due to distance, but maybe a little. The Tamarack serves that side of the lake, POP's the other end. Good to see that everyone's getting some business.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #29
dpg

If I were "Pop" I wouldn't offer, direct competition or not. No need for him to stick his nose...well you know what I mean. Yeah it may be a nice gesture but for what (other) reason would Pop want too? I just don't see it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-10-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #30
Rolie

Of course they are competition for each other....why would Pop's want to share his "secret sauce" with the Tamarack? Many folks from the east and north side of the lake drive by the Tamarack on their way to Pop's. And I'm sure some drive up from Alton to the Tamarack. It's one thing to share your success, but I would be foolhardy to give it away.
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #31
Winnisquamguy

Default Went last night...

Stopped in for some lobster rolls last night, the jumbo roll is a foot long roll and stuffed very well, came with french fries which where not soggy as some say they are.Onion rings were just as good! As we were eating our food under the trees a gentlemen came and asked how everything was and if we needed anything, it was Jim (the owner) which I thought was very nice. My only complaint would be the curbs were pushed so tight together, I had to go all the way to the end to get in, as I couldn't jump over them in the chair! Nice meeting you Jim, and keep up all your hard work!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #32
dpg

My only complaint would be the curbs were pushed so tight together, I had to go all the way to the end to get in, as I couldn't jump over them in the chair! Nice meeting you Jim, and keep up all your hard work!

You totally lost me...The Curbs were pushed tight???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
Rolie

Default Sa ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Somehow, I remember loving this place as a little kid. I think it had the same name, but I'm not sure.
Anyway...I try it once a year, and always the same story...hit or miss...avarage at best...OVERPRICED!
And, the anual thread about Tamarack on this forum pretty much reads the same...as Siksukr pointed out.
I can appreciate Jim posting, and taking responsibility. But I don't get it. That location...good parking...outdoor tables...the place screams at you to stop as you drive by. You get hungry just looking at it. It really should completely freakin' rock. Food quality, service, etc...seriously...it seems there is no reason that Tamarack should not be a summer time cash register. Yet, the food is just OK...service can be iffy...and a couple years back, a family of 4 could easily drop 70/80 bucks for lunch. Although I guess they have lowered prices. I didn't notice, but maybe was not paying attention.
Think I'll give them a try tonight or Friday afternoon...what the heck.
How was it?
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #34
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
My only complaint would be the curbs were pushed so tight together, I had to go all the way to the end to get in, as I couldn't jump over them in the chair! Nice meeting you Jim, and keep up all your hard work!

You totally lost me...The Curbs were pushed tight???
There is no space in between the curbs to get a wheelchair through, they are push right up against each other. You normally have one curb per parking spot, so usually you can squeeze by but not here they are all pushed together. Hope this helps...

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 07-07-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #35
kayleigh

I had a captain basket or whatever you call it (haddock, clams, scallops, shrimp, french fries) 2 weeks ago after work, and it was great! It was good, hot, didn't take forever, and was a good price. The only thing I had a problem with was the coke was out, so I got a sprite instead.
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kayleigh For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (07-14-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #36
swimfan

Thumbs up Best lobster roll ever!

I went to the Tamarack on Saturday night and had the jumbo lobster roll basket....def the best lobster roll I have ever had! If you have not tried one yet you do not know what you are missing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swimfan For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-13-2011), gonetoolong (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #37
Rattlesnake Guy

We often react when a new poster gives a negative review. I would like complement swimfan for building his/her credibility by giving a great review in an early post. Thank you. Look forward to more post.
swimfan (07-15-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #38
sa meredith

Default Wait a minute

Quote:
We often react when a new poster gives a negative review. I would like complement swimfan for building his/her credibility by giving a great review in an early post. Thank you. Look forward to more post.
One second RG...think about what you just posted. A new member who writes a negative review is disregarded by many people...yet, if the review is positive, the new member is building credibility?
How does that work?!
Not saying I agree/disagree...just pointing out a double standard.
Anyway...I grabbed a burger and rings on the fly last night from Tammarack. Probably 7ish. Needed a quick bite to eat in the car. Service very friendly...young girl, big smile, explained up "charge" for rings instead of fries.
I was the only one there, so cook time was brief...7/8 minutes. Onion rings were great, burger cooked perfectly. 9 bucks, total. No drink. Fair enough.
I looked the prices ob
I looked the prices over, and they certainly have lowered them. All seafood appears to be priced in line with what you would expect.
I'm going back for dinner before the weekend is out.
7:25 tee time...gotta go. Great weather weekend.
gonetoolong (07-14-2011), VitaBene (07-14-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #39
Argie's Wife

Not speaking for RG, but I think it's easier to discredit a "drive-by posting" by a disgruntled customer signing on here as a new poster because we've seen it so many times in the past. I recall we've even had a former employee register on the forum, trash a business as a 'customer' just to try to get revenge. Then there's those times when the business owner or manager signs on to address the concerns and we learn there's another side to some new poster's tale of woe.

My point is that it's easy for a new poster to grind an axe on the internet while hiding behind an anonymous name.

The new poster who posts a positive review right after registering here has sometimes also been met with responses like; "Are you the owner?" "What's your position with the business?" - skepticism and sometimes down-right rudeness on this forum's part.

I've learned to take a 'wait-and-see' approach, unless I suspect a troll, which is another category of internet creepy stuff all its own...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
kayleigh (07-09-2014), Lakegeezer (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #40
swimfan

I think alot of times people will leave a review only if it is bad but when they have a good experience it doesn't get mentioned. When I first opened this thread I was surprised to see mostly negative reviews and everytime I have gone there it was good. My first post was saying I was looking forward to going so I wanted to leave a follow up and let everyone know how it was. I do not know the owner or anyone from there I'm just a guy that loves good food!

Randy
Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #41
camp guy

Default The Tamarack

First of all I have to admit that I haven't carefully read all the foregoing posts, but it does seem like The Tamarack is taking a hit on food quality and service time. Well, to settle it in our own minds, my wife and I stopped there this afternoon for a personal experience.

In a nutshell, "very poor".

The outside appearance was less than desireable; the view into the kitchen, etc., was not pleasant, and the young lady who took our order was pleasant enough, but we seemed to be not the only thing on her mind.

We picked up our food (1 lobster roll, 1 cheeseburger basket) and went to the condiment station - very messy. Then we headed up back to sit inside and relax a little while eating. Bad mistake. We walked in the outside door labeled Enter and were greeted by two teen aged girls exiting the ladies room and still trying to get everything back in place; we went to a table and decided the musty, almost moldy atmosphere of the building wasn't for us and left. We found a partially clean table under the trees in the little park area and ate our meal.

The lobster roll was marginally "okay" (I don't think my wife wanted to tell me it wasn't good since I had paid dearly for it), the burger was absolutely unremarkable, and the fries were soggy, limp, and uninviting. Oh, my Pepsi turned out to be a Diet Pepsi.

So, all in all, that was our 2 trips to Tamarack (first and last of the season).

It used to be fabulous, with lines all day long. Something went terribly wrong somewhere along the line.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #42
Rattlesnake Guy

SA,
You have a logical point. I suspect you have to have both good and bad reviews before we can take your opinion with any significance. Then we have to see if we agree with some of your opinions based on our own experience. Then we have to asses if you are being fair with your praise and criticism. It takes time to become credible. I think Argie's wife is correct in the tendency for negative first timers.

I greatly value people's opinion who have good things to say and bad things to say. And most importantly are fair. If you are eating at a road side stand with paper plates, you should adjust your expectations to fit the environment. It is a different expectation than a fine dining experience for $140.

I admit that RG and I have a hard time posting neutral or negative reviews which certainly hurts our credibility with always sounding positive. It is a hard decision to make a post that might take food off the table for a business owner. This is further complicated by the value of honest feedback.

Further complicated by our individual preferences like your preference for George's (which we have been to over 20 times over the years) and our recent discovery of a great breakfast at Sunshine and Pa's. They are both great places and are worth visiting.

Time will tell if Swimfan will gain credibility, on the positive and the negative side.

SA, you have inspired me to take a shot at more balance in my own reviews. All sugar is no better than all lemon. Now if I had to write some reviews of some of the strange foods I have had here in Shanghai, they would not all be favorable. The eel soup was good but the pickled jelly fish and fried snake was not going into my mouth thank you.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #43
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Not speaking for RG, but I think it's easier to discredit a "drive-by posting" by a disgruntled customer signing on here as a new poster because we've seen it so many times in the past. I recall we've even had a former employee register on the forum, trash a business as a 'customer' just to try to get revenge. Then there's those times when the business owner or manager signs on to address the concerns and we learn there's another side to some new poster's tale of woe.

My point is that it's easy for a new poster to grind an axe on the internet while hiding behind an anonymous name.

The new poster who posts a positive review right after registering here has sometimes also been met with responses like; "Are you the owner?" "What's your position with the business?" - skepticism and sometimes down-right rudeness on this forum's part.

I've learned to take a 'wait-and-see' approach, unless I suspect a troll, which is another category of internet creepy stuff all its own...
While we are all skeptical of some reviews we really shouldn't have a "Restaurant Forum Police" (except me of course). Many people are very reluctant to post anything when they feel that other members are waiting to pounce. I'm afraid that happens regularly here and it creates the perception to some that this is not a friendly place to be.

The Restaurant Forum is different than the other forums here. It should always be friendly. Everyone (even new posters) should be able to post a review without being called out or having their motives questioned. I would prefer that everyone feel comfortable to post their review and the readers, not the forum police, can decide who is the most credible.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
KonaChick (07-14-2012), Meredith lady (08-06-2011), rander7823 (08-08-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #44
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
SA,

It is a hard decision to make a post that might take food off the table for a business owner. This is further complicated by the value of honest feedback.

I totally agree with you. I find it hard to post a negative which could hurt a business owner.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #45
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I totally agree with you. I find it hard to post a negative which could hurt a business owner.
Believe it or not, but there is a theory that negative feedback is better than no feedback at all.

With negative feedback, the owner has the ability to address the problem and make corrections as appropriate.
With no feedback at all, the owner doesn't know about the poor visit, and can only assume everything is going great.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #46
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

You are right of course, but still I find it hard. And some people as said before have a personal problem so you don't know if you should believe what you read or not. I guess if tons of people complain then something is truly wrong. The thread on the Wolfeboro Inn comes to mind. But that didn't seem to help them improve. However, locally we heard poor comments anyway, so I guess it wouldn't matter. I just hope they get their act together.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #47
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Believe it or not, but there is a theory that negative feedback is better than no feedback at all.

With negative feedback, the owner has the ability to address the problem and make corrections as appropriate.
With no feedback at all, the owner doesn't know about the poor visit, and can only assume everything is going great.
Absolutely. Though there may be some fly by's who are vindictive against a particular establishment for one reason or another, I like to think that most posts are honest opinions...good or bad. And yes, a negative review does give the owner an opportunity to see what may be going on when he/she can not be there.
It has been said that a good customer is one who comes back....it's also said that a great customer is one who provides honest feedback to an owner to give him an opportunity to improve.
But at the end of the day, some restaurant owners get it....some don't...c'est la vie!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #48
sa meredith

Default Ok

RG, and RG for that matter...neither of you have any credibility issue. Quite the opposite actually. I would think you both are held in high regard by every member of this forum.
When signing in to post about a positive experience at Tamarack, I read the post about a first time poster writing a positive review, and just started thinking..."how is this any different than a first time poster being negative?" It really is the same. So I made a comment. Was not intending to stir the pot...just making an observation.
Anyway...Sunshine and Pa as good as Georges? On that we'll have to agree to disagree. I rate one a 9, maybe 10...the other, an iffy 6.
Meredith lady (08-06-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (07-17-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #49
NoBozo

Default Just Thinking

Some time ago I made a comment about some restaurant..don't remember which one..about the service and was roundly smacked down by another poster who may have been in the restaurant business at one time or another.

The comment they made was ...something like this.. "Since you admit you have never run a restaurant, what makes you an Expert ?" Rather than escalate the situation I never responded. Had I responded, I would have said:.. "I am the one making the purchase, so THAT makes me an expert."

The customer is NOT always right, but the customer IS The One with the money to spend..Or Not.

To get to my original thought.. I suspect some Restaurant Owners/CHEFS consider themselves "Artists", and like some artists may have large egos, and are quite offended when their "work" is brought into question. In such cases, the mere suggestion that something could be improved....is just preposterous..let alone coming from some "person" that just walked in off the street who has no clew what ART is.

This might explain why some restaurants never seem to improve, despite multiple well meaning suggestions from respondants in this forum. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #50
Rattlesnake Guy

SA,
Pot neither shaken nor stirred. I agree with your point.

We will agree to disagree on George vs Sunshine. That is part of the problem with reviews, they are done by humans with differing taste, preferences and priorities. And we all order different things, go on different days and have different servers and cooks. It is nearly impossible to have equal experiences.

Unfortunately for the restaurant, when it is pretty good to excellent, they get many more chances to show us again. When it is bad, they rarely get a second chance. It must be a very tough business to be good enough times to keep customers coming back enough to experience the average.

Enjoy the day.
GsChinadoll (07-17-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #51
guyfromMA

My last trip to the Tamarack earlier this week was a bit of a disappointment. My family and I have gone to the Tamarack in years past and have always enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately this year, things have changed.

Those above posters who say the quantity of food has gone down are absolutely right. I remember in years past the hamburger platter would be stuffed with french fries and a large burger, this year it was not that. Instead there were only a small amount of fries and a burger that,although did not taste bad,was not nearly as beastly as it has been in years past. However, the price has remained the same,and in my opinion, that menu item is not worth the price it is listed as on the menu.

Also,it seems like the crowd at the tamarack has declined. In years past there used to be waiting lines for parking spots, and a long line to order. This year during our visit there was only a small line,and plenty of parking,during the 5-6PM hour,and the several times we would pass by, it didn't appear packed, as it has been for as long as I can remember.

As one member pointed out the service and cleanliness of the restaurant. The girls working the counters were friendly and the condiment area did seem relatively clean(people SHOULD pick up after themselves,can't completely fault the restaurant staff).

I'm glad to see the girl who used to make the pizzas is still working there. She is by far one of the best and friendliest workers there. I say used to, because the "tamarack out back" no longer makes Pizza, which is a big disappointment, as finding a quality pizza restaurant in that area with good service is tough.

I think it is great that the owner views the forum to get feedback from customers. The customers may not always be right,but they are the ones bringing in the money and with all due respect, I must say that this years trip to the tamarack was not nearly as good as it has been in years past.

I would like to see the Tamarack make some changes,perhaps reconsider their prices if they are going to lessen the quantity of portions. It also doesn't seem like they advertise like they used to, which COULD be the reason why the pizza restaurant was unsuccessful. The Tamarack has been around for a long time, and has name recognition in the area, but when the weather is beautiful and there aren't long lines like there used to be,something is a miss..Same can be said for Sawyers.

I will not say I will not return to the Tamarack next year, because I don't know, but I don't think I'll make it a "must" during my vacation like I would have in years past.

I do hope everyone(the owner included) understands my post. I have read this forum for a long time, and finally felt I should contribute as much as I can.
guyfromMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #52
VtSteve

I always seem to be in the minority on the Quantity issue. Big portions are not something I cherish. Not meaning tiny portions, but no need for tons of fries and other starch crud

If the quality and taste of the food is great, I rarely even think about quantity.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #53
sa meredith

Default I'm done

Well, this place gets discussed just about every year, and it usually seems about 50/50. Without posting a long winded review, I feel compelled to post the following.
I want to like this place, I really do. Mostly because it is so convienient for me to grab something on the fly. I drive by it very regularly, and if time does not permit a long stop for a meal, it is a nice alternative to McD's up the street (yep, I like McD's...so kill me).
Well, twice this year I stopped to grab the simplest of simple meals...cheeseburger and fries, to eat as I drove. Both times, the deal was the same...just me, and only me at the window. 3 or 4 groups eating at the tables. The first time, as I drove to the marina, I grabbed a handful of the grossest, cold, soggy, cooked an hour ago fries. And thought, well that sukcs...but whatever...they probably wanted to sell what was already made, and I timed it wrong. Free pass for them.
But then, two Mondays back (in case they are reading this, the girl may remember) I was meeting some friends from out of town at Funspot, before hitting the Drive In ( "TED"...if you have not seen it, SEE IT...enough about that) ...and was running late and was hungry. Well, I thought, I have enough McD's in my life, so I'll hit Tamarack. Me, only me at the window. I order the same thing, I leave, and same deal. Gross, cold, cooked a very long time ago fries. Well, kinda pissed, so I swing a quick uturn and go back to tell them I was all set with them. The girl checked the fries herself, and seemed quite embarressed. Offered a new order...but really??!! I'm going to stand there, let the burger get cold, and become even later than I already am, while they make me fresh fires, to make up for serving me the left overs from earlier in the night? No thanks. I just told her I have really bad luck there, and was done.
Hey, really, say what you want about McDonalds (probably not good for you...in fact bad) but I ask you..When was the last time you reached into the bag to grab a handful of McD's fires, and they were not fresh, very hot, and freakishy yummy? 1PM, 3PM, 9PM, 2:30AM...doesn't matter...always hot, and fresh.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #54
Shore Driver

I was there last week (also pre-"Ted" LOL), and was impressed with the food. Chicken chunks were especially juicy and meaty. Clams strips were tasty.

I do think fries are their weak spot and an kind of an afterthought.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
barefootbay

Sad, Tamarack used to be an awesome place in a former life. We quit going a few yrs ago and haven' t been back.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #56
Charlie T

Default Just not worth it

I too was at Tamarack today for the first (and last) time in a few years.
I spent $60.00 + for a small lunch for 3 adults and 2 small children. 2 hot dogs for the kids ICE COLD centers, we brought them back and got them replaced, by the time we got to our hamburgers that were virtually RAW in the middle, one bite each and in the trash. We all decided never again!

It's such a shame this place for many years was a "must have" in the lakes.

Count me as another never return vote.

C T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #57
Altonbayicefishingfool

Default Fried clams

I stopped here today with a craving for fried clams. I must say I was very pleased with the quality of the food. Service was great, food was cooked to perfection,not greasy and very tasty. Prices are right in check with pops, sawyers etc. I will definitly be back again!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
Legionnaire70

So I drive by today and see there sign by the road that said "crab roll with fries $8.99" so I go up the road and turn around.. Sounds like a deal to me!

I get to the window and order and the girl says " oh, we don't have that special anymore" so I asked, how much is just a crab roll then? She replies "oh we don't have crab"??!!!?? What? Ok.... She says " we have lobster rolls"
I said no thanks and left... Here's a thought, how bout taking 30 seconds out of your not so busy day and changing the sign!!!
Haven't stopped here for a while, well think this is the last. What a joke! No wonder they don't do any business....
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #59
Pineedles

The old bait and switch. What a crock.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #60
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
The old bait and switch. What a crock.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (09-12-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #61
phoenix

There was a time when I would go to Tammerac at least twice a year for lobster rolls I now just drive by haven't gone in several years based on the reviews
Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #62
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

We drove past the Tammerac about 7:00 PM Friday night, prime time, and there were no cars in the parking lot. We thought at first they were closed but all the lights were on and we could see the workers inside. We remembered when this was the place to stop for a lobster roll or fresh seafood. It is a shame they let the quality of their food and service side.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #63
barefootbay

I remember on Friday nights the waiting line would be out to the street.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #64
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
I remember on Friday nights the waiting line would be out to the street.
Yeah, well, they've solved that problem
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #65
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
So much has been written in this forum in the past about what was for years the standard of excellence in the Lakes Region for fried seafood and basically for their entire menu.
It never was and never will be the standard bearer. The standard bearer comes and goes through the years. From the 'Double Decker', to Sawyers, to Johnsons. Today maybe Makris is the Lakes Region standards.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #66
barefootbay

Pop's just goes on and on serving the best deep fried seafood in the lakes region since the 1950s.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #67
MaidenCove07

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
There was a time when I would go to Tammerac at least twice a year for lobster rolls I now just drive by haven't gone in several years based on the reviews
Same here and I live very close to there. It would be convenient, but just not worth the high prices and the crappy food. So sad - they were a staple for decades for me and my family.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaidenCove07 For This Useful Post:
pondguy (11-29-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #68
Smokienorm

Default Poor Tamarack

The Tamarack used to be great, especially for lobster rolls and onion rings, but we stopped going there several years ago because of the decline in quality (food and service) and it seems to be circling the drain as they say. The new owner of Sawyers in Gilford has improved what was already a pretty fine experience and their lobster rolls and fried foods are hard to beat. Sawyers also now takes credit cards. But if you are near Alton Bay and have cash in hand (no credit cards), Pops is also outstanding.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote