Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Will the Meredith Rotary Derby become Catch and Release?

Click for UNION LEADER article
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #2
Skip

Post Scrutinizing the fish "that got a weigh"

My thanks to the editorial writers at the Union Leader, I couldn't have said it any better:

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=53986
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
Paugus Bay Resident

Thumbs up

Another good reason to read the Union Leader.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #4
Skip

Unhappy The saga continues....

The latest from today's Manchester Union Leader. Important to note that the only authority the Executive council has here is whether or not to accept the gracious $7,500 donation from Derby officials. They do not have any actual control over the event itself, except for being the governing body that appoints the Fish & Game Coomissioner that oversees the law enforcement that goes on during the event.

Interesting to note that here on the seacoast Councilor Griffin is a huge proponent of the local commercial fishing fleet. Pretty ironic, anyone care to speculate, especially in reference to ground fishermen, how many fish are destroyed accidentally each year in the pursuit of their profession? I'll give you a hint, it isn't measured in the hundreds of fish as in the case of the Derby, it is measured by the metric ton!
http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=54233
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Talking "It's a massacre"

From the This Just In Dept:

HEADLINE : Executive Council investigating more abuse; "It's a massacre !"

After finishing with the Meredith Ice Fishing Derby, dubbed the "Derby of Destruction" by the executive counsillior, the council has announced it'll now turn it's attention to another abuse of NH's wildlife. Executive counsillior Peta S. said that "in numbers alone this far outstrips even the fishing fiasco. It's a mosquito massacre !" Bureau of Wildlife biologist I. M. True says while he hasn't compiled a complete count of the states blood-suckers he's really, really quite sure that the population is not suffering from any decline what-so-ever. Despite the biology report minor counsillior Dweeb P. quickly quipped "that just because we can kill them doesn't mean people should !!". Co-executice counsillior Rube G. said "even though I never go outside, I've seen video of people using bug zappers and mosquito magnets to rid their property of these natural resources. All they do is stand around eating and drinking and cooking on the BBQ. When one of the poor lil guys get zapped, they all laugh. It's disgusting !!!" Dweeb P. added "We don't even electrocute our prisoners anymore, so how can anyone justify this senseless waste of our insect inheritance !?!?!" The council commanded that the Bureau of Wildlife, Entomology Lab (BoWEL) move quickly to establish an accurate accounting of all the states stock of mosquitos and suggest some methods of addressing people's misuse of the critters. "We're not just going to sit back on our stools and watch this crap happen !!@#$!! " said Peta S.

In a non-related story I. M. True notified the BoW that he's seeking employment elsewhere at the end of the month. "I'm happy that my experience advising the council has trained me well for my future endevours." When asked what that might be, True replied "I'm persuing a job as a chauffeur in the circus. You know the little car that drives out, stops and then out come the clowns."

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 05-05-2005 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added more derision
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
Island Girl

Default Rofl

You have made my day. Too funny....

After reading the UL article, I think these people have too much time on their hands. Do you think they eat fish, meat and other seafood?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
Skip

Unhappy Much ado about nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
You have made my day. Too funny.... do you think they eat fish, meat and other seafood?
Uh, how do I say this politely? Lets just leave it with the comment that it appears the majority of this lofty elected body are not practicing vegetarians.

By the way, the council, after all their angst, unanimously accepted the $7,500 donation to the Fish & Game Department.

The story is in today's hard copy Union Leader, but not on the web site condensed version.

Case closed, for another year (hopefully).

Skip
Old 05-05-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
Seaplane Pilot

It's amazing to me that the "State" questions who gains from the event - like they dont? Let's see...room & meals taxes, tolls, gas taxes, business profits taxes, business enterprise taxes,...

Sounds like another bike week scenario - just send the money and stay home.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Major problem

Talking What do I win?

I caught this trophy fair and square. And I'm not donating any proceeds to the Executve Council either.

Last edited by Major problem; 05-05-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote