Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Highlander

Default End of season

I was asked today if there is a specific date that all boats must be out of the water by. I have never thought of this before and don't know the answer.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
secondcurve

Default The date is....

This is the Live Free or Die State so my guess is that the date is whenever you want it to be. That being said, I like to get my boat out before the ice freezes!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
ITD

No date that I know of, just remember as the water gets colder falling in becomes more hazardous.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Kamper

I was up a few years ago during Thanksgiving week and ti was snowing but the water was open. I bet you can guess what I saw...
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

Lots of boats stay in slips all winter (with bubblers). In terms or really using them, I've seen boats in late November, early December. There's no specific requirement, other than your insurance company. Most of them have specified lay-up periods, if you use your boat and something happens during the lay-up period, you could be on your own

On another note, in terms of end of season, since today was the last day Jo Jo's was open, I guess it's official
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

As I discovered a few years ago, many boats are dictated by insurance. My policy is good from May 1 to Nov 1. I was surprised to discover this since I had practiced putting my boat in on Patriots Day weekend (mid-late-April) until I realized I wasn't insured. Now I put it in on the first weekend in May.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Registration

Your yearly registration sticker expires on December 31'st, and the state doesn't normally send out the renewal forms until after the new year - so you will have to try to renew it at a marina or the like if you want to take a new years day cruise.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:23 AM   #8
b8tcaster

Default Insurance layup clause

I just have my insurer issue a policy with no layup period. It costs just a little more and allows me to use my boat until the lake freezes. The last two years I have been able be on the water until the last week of December or first week of January. Its kinda neat being out there when guys are icefishing on some of the coves. I have also received my registration renewal before the end of the year so I hope that hasnt changed. I also take additional safety precautions that time of year because there is virtually no assistance nearby if you happen to fall in or breakdown.
b8tcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
secondcurve

Default No fishing?

B8tcaster:

Why do you stay on the water so late? Isn't the fishing season closed?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #10
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Your yearly registration sticker expires on December 31'st, and the state doesn't normally send out the renewal forms until after the new year ...
You need to complain to someone. I've been getting my renewal form in early December for at least the last 2 years. Thank the snow birds who take their boats south and had to re-register them localy, or pull them while waiting for the new stickers. Plus the commercial fisherman were annoyed at the being hassled if the NHMP or F&G officer didnt know the stickers were extra late some years.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Island owners

Many island owners keep their boats at the Glendale docks until it becomes difficult the use the launch ramp. I've seen boats there in January! I don't think there is any set date. personally I would not be boating if the marine patrol cannot get to you in case of an emergency.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
JK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
Many island owners keep their boats at the Glendale docks until it becomes difficult the use the launch ramp. I've seen boats there in January! I don't think there is any set date. personally I would not be boating if the marine patrol cannot get to you in case of an emergency.
And when does the MP take their boats out?
JK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
islandAl

Default Season does not have to end

http://www.airboats.ca/video.cfm?id=1

check out this site on air boats and going over the ice.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #14
Orion

Default airboats

Looks pretty exciting. I'd be a little cautious about some of the side-drifting maneuvers they show with such a high center of gravity. Any resistance to the side slip (snow drift, etc.) and the thing is going over. I wonder how often you have to replace the skid plate (looks like a sheet of metal over the entire bottom)?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
b8tcaster

Default Secondcurve

I am an avid bass fisherman and there is no closed season on bass. For me its just a great feeling to be on the lake and basically have it all to myself. Its hard to describe but to have solitude on such a big and popular body of water is very rare but very special for me. Maybe this year I can get captured on the Rattlesnake cam in January so I will have something to remember those trips when I finally get some common sense...lol
b8tcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandAl
http://www.airboats.ca/video.cfm?id=1

check out this site on air boats and going over the ice.
Wow!! That thing is pretty coool!I'll get my wetsuit and try to ski behind that.I'll probably need one water ski and one snow ski.Or maybe just a pair of fat "powda" skis!!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
Misty Blue

Default End of season

WoW! I need one of those boats!!! Honey, it followed me home?

I remember a picture, in the Weirs Times I think, of Santa delivering toys on Christmas skiing in front of Irwin Gardens!

But seriously folks...two things.

While I am not an advocate to mandatory PFD useage the water is below 60 degrees now and it's time to put 'em on. In the Coast Guard we are required to don full exposure suits below 60.

Second: Don't let your engine freeze! As long as the water is reasonable outboards are usually OK if left in the water. I drain the block on Misty and throw a light bulb in the engine compartment just to give myself a warm fuzzy feeling when the mercury drops.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #18
gtxrider

Default Get the Water OUT!

Yup, make sure the water is out of the block. I know of some who put antifreeze in the engine for the winter.

Thoughts on AIR BOATS. Noisy, no reverse, poor handling at slow speed and a BIG PROP. Be careful around those props or you will wind up like the lightning bug that backed into the fan....He was delighted!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #19
SBC

Default Live Free and Ice

Keep it in the water as long as you want. You should be getting your registration renewal in the mail from the state in December, just before it expires. They are good about that IF they have your correct address. You did notify the MV dept of your new addy before ten days went by, didn't you?

Insurance is the key. Agitators need a permit from NHMP.

The NHMP maintains vessels on the water all year 'round. You can't easily trailer the 41' former USCG boat. I think it may even have some ice-breaker qualities designed in-I would hope. They are active on the coast all year 'round and have full time staff at Glendale. Regardless, they are not a tow service. That's what Tow boat US and that other company do. Oh but HEY! NH F&G has an air boat like they use in the Everglades. Goes most anywhere. Between the good samaritans ice fishing, OHRV-ing and them you should be able to go almost anywhere and get rescued. And F&G will be out there to check up on you so behave yourself. So, sally forth into the solid version of Winnipesaukee and enjoy. Play Safe.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote