Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Does anyone get WMUR in HD over the air?

I have DirecTV and do not get WMUR in HD. I was wondering if anyone up here gets it over the air by means of a standard HD antennae rather than by cable. I know they only broadcast in 720 but that is better than the SD I get now.

Thanks
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
rick35

Default How about digital reception?

We've been using an antenna and rotor at our summer cottage on Bear Island for years. With the change to digital I have no idea whether we'll be able to still pick up 6, 8, 9, 12, and 13 with a converter box. We plan on connecting to Metrocast cable for the summer months but over the air would be great (and cheaper). I'd be interested in hearing about reception for regular channels if anyone has switched to digital.

Thanks, Rick
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
jeffk

I'm not sure about up at the lake but at my house in Southern NH I got the converter box and a better TV top antenna and I don't seem to be able to get channel 9 in digital at all. I'm not sure what's going on.

I get most of the digital Boston channels (2,4,5,7,38, 44,60,62), NH 50. Unfortunately I can't get 25 or 56 in digital, the signal is too weak, so I am going to be getting DirectTV. Thanks fed gov, extra $600 a year for something I didn't want.

I already have cable at the lake because I could only get one or two channels with an antenna. I hate paying $55+ a month for occasional use and even when we are there I can't find much I want to watch except reruns of CSI and an occasional movie.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default wait for the transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I'm not sure about up at the lake but at my house in Southern NH I got the converter box and a better TV top antenna and I don't seem to be able to get channel 9 in digital at all. I'm not sure what's going on.
In this pre transition phase WMUR is broadcasting digital on UHF channel 59, a temporary arrangement. After the transition the digital broadcast will move down to the main transmitter at a lower VHF frequency where the analog channel 9 is now broadcast. You should have a much better WMRU digital then.

So all should wait until after the transition to see how the digital reception is with your current antenna. Like in cell phones, in the end digital signaling should improve reception for most.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
jeffk

Default Now it works

Thanks for the info. I knew this and had tried it before and got nothing. The converter box does a search and it didn't find it. Today I put in 59 and YUP it's OK. I do a search and it finds it. Oh well.

Maybe I'll call 25 and 56 and see if they think their signals will be stronger after the transition date.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Sunrise Point

Default Thanks!

I am going to try channel 59 next time we are up. When we scanned with the digital converter, we could only receive ION television (channel 68). We are not looking forward to the digital conversion.

There is a web site that gives information on reception based on zip code location. It is: www.antennaweb.org/aw/address

It may or may not be useful for you.

Best wishes
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Kerk

Smile Converter ??

I believe you/we will have to get or have a DUAL converter box. I do not know about this stuff but my son was by and he has stated that the single BOX used in Ma. will not work in N.H. I have a place on Cow Is. so will be looking in spring for correct BOX. Hope this helps or maybe sends you in the right direction. kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Sunrise Point

Default Dual?

Can anyone give me more information on what a "dual" converter box is? I am going out on a limb here and will speculate that it is probably more expensive than what we currently have.

What is the difference and what is the possibility that it will work better than what I already have (purchased with a coupon down in Mass.)?

Thanks!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
wifi

I believe this 'dual converter' is simply one box with two digital to analog converters in it. Such that one can watch TV on one converter and record (say on an analog DVR) a different channel on the other converter, but I'm open to the more informed.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Skip

Post Analog pass through box?

I believe what is meant by a dual box is actually what is called as an analog pass through box.

This type of box will allow you to watch digital signals, but pass through an analog signal. In the case of WMUR, if you are in the northern half of the State using one of their translator stations, they have an extended period before they will convert to digital. Thay have been advertising this for some time on thier main station.

Not all stations will go digital on the date advertised, including some in this State.

For a little better explanation, check out This informative link.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Default dual converter is of limited utility

A "dual converter" box allows for both analog pass through and reception of digital TV. For most users, analog over the air TV transmissions will be history after the transition and all you need is either:
an antenna with digital capable TY or
an antenna with a digital converter box with an analog TV or
cable or satellite TV service with an analog or a digital TV.

For a few up north folk that get WMUR on channels 38, 29 or 27, you do want the analog pass through converter box for antenna reception. See:
http://www.wmur.com/digital/index.html
The reason is that WMUR has an extended time to convert these channels to digital.

As for digital converter boxes, not all are created equal. See Consumers Reports for recent evaluations, at your library (Nov 08, Feb 09). Digital receivers have sophisticated signal processing chips, some better than others.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
Blue Thunder

I just wanted to jump in and clarify that Lakesrider's original question was does anyone receive WMUR TV HD over the air or "OTA". What you guys are talking about is digital TV and the possibility of losing your signal in Feb with the analog/digital switch without a converter box. Just didn't want anyone who's reading this to be confused.

BT
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I just wanted to jump in and clarify that Lakesrider's original question was does anyone receive WMUR TV HD over the air or "OTA". What you guys are talking about is digital TV and the possibility of losing your signal in Feb with the analog/digital switch without a converter box. Just didn't want anyone who's reading this to be confused.

BT
Thanks you are correct, there are two topics here, along the way converter box concerns came in.

If you hope to get HD via an antenna, first you have to have conditions good enough to get digital reception. Of course you need a HD capable digital TV to view the HD, the analog TV converter box combo will still be just standard definition.

BTW, I heard on WMUR this morning that on Friday Jan 16 at 5:30 pm they will run a special test. I think that they plan to run a short full digital test on channel 9. I could not find anything on the web site but some info should appear or watch the WMUR news.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I called DirecTv and they told me that they are not contracted to WMUR for HD. I asked if and when. I told them that having the Maine channels in HD is nice but that what was happening in Maine was not really of high interest to me. I wanted to know what was happening in NH where I lived. They said the would look into it, and were adding markets all the time. Maybe before 2012 when the world is supposed to end?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
Waterbaby

Thumbs up WMUR DTV Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
BTW, I heard on WMUR this morning that on Friday Jan 16 at 5:30 pm they will run a special test. I think that they plan to run a short full digital test on channel 9. I could not find anything on the web site but some info should appear or watch the WMUR news.
I have it on my calendar to remind me.

This Friday, 1/16/09 WMUR is doing a special (something like DTV: Is Your Television Ready?) from 5:30 -6:00 PM. At some point during the show they are going to switch to all-digital transmission for a few minutes, and if your television is ready you will notice a slight change; if your television is not ready you will see a notice saying something like "your television is not ready for DTV".

I only have two televisions in the house, both are going to be on so I can run into the bedroom and change that one to channel 9 (as son will be watching something or other -- he is forewarned, lol). They are also going to have a live panel of experts ready to accept phone calls, and I cannot remember the third thing they are doing.

I think this is one of those "above and beyond" things, as there is so much conflicting information and confusion out about whether we all need the conversion boxes or not......... Kudos to WMUR!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #16
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
I think this is one of those "above and beyond" things, as there is so much conflicting information and confusion out about whether we all need the conversion boxes or not......... Kudos to WMUR!
Kudos to NHPTV too as they are teamed with WMUR on this. Here's the info from the WMUR website: http://www.wmur.com/digital/18462565/detail.html
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Thank you..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
Kudos to NHPTV too as they are teamed with WMUR on this. Here's the info from the WMUR website: http://www.wmur.com/digital/18462565/detail.html
.....for Poinstering that out, Elly! I meant to include them but sometimes my brain is faster than my fingers, and my fingers couldn't keep up in the post. Or something like that.

At any rate, kudos most especially to NHPTV as they are a not-for-profit station with fabulous programming, and have worked very hard to get updated with what they needed to meet the government-mandated deadline on digital broadcasting.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #18
Waterbaby

Default Did Your TV Pass?

I had the "Test Show" (for lack of a better way to put it) on tonight between 5:30 and 6:00 -- my television "passed the test" so to speak........... anyone else want to chime in?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
trfour

Default Yah, Waterbaby!

I get it here in Texas on rabbits ears,.. course we all know how flat Texas is with whats the economy these days!.... couldn't help a little fll over here....
" Yup, everyone needs to stay sharp, for sure!"

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
Orion

Default Anyone getting HD over the air?

Since Antennaweb.org doesn't cover the Lake area well, or at least shows minimal or no reception, has anyone on the lake had any luck in getting over the air HD reception of Portland, Manchester, or Boston? I'm sure the Belknap mountains hose those north of them, but looking down the "Alton Bay valley" should allow for possible Boston reception with a good enough antenna....but it is about 85 miles to Boston transmitters.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
wifi

This is the site used by WMUR during their on the air test:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=80

Try plugging in the call sign of your favorite station and see what their map looks like. I'm on cable, so its all seamless to me (except for stations not carried)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
RI Swamp Yankee

The coverage map at the FCC seems to include most or all the Lake area:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT401218.html
Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
Island Girl

Default 6-8-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

BT
Last summer from Rattlesnake Island facing north, I received only 6, 8 and 13 in HD. I had to play a lot with the antenna to get that. It has to be pointed properly. It will be interesting to see what happens when everything is digital. I play to put the antenna on the roof with a way to turn it from inside the house. I did have this on an HDTV. I will have to buy converter boxes for the other TVs unless someone has a great sale on flat panels!!!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
Orion

Default There's hope!

Thanks wifi & RISY. I ran across a copy of the recent Tuftonboro Islanders Assn newsletter and there was a great article in there by David Harris of Litle Pine Tree Island. He used a "deep fringe" antenna on a mast and got 11 HD stations total from Boston, Manchester, Concord, Portland and others. If Obama and Congress don't screw things up by delaying this transition again, many of the stations transmitting now will go to higher power on Feb 17th.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
modio

Default WMUR or other channels via converter box

Hello! I was wondering if anyone can help me with my television dilemma. My family does not spend a lot of time in front of the television. The kids have everything that they need via the Wii on Netflix and HuluPlus which we subscrible to. I was thinking of ditching the dish because it seems silly to pay so much for my ABC/WMUR news viewing pleasure. I was thinking of getting one of those converter boxes for that and maybe PBS if it's available. Does anyone else do this? Is it possible. I know nothing about it except what I heard in 2009 when the analog/digital switch went on... Thanks!
modio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by modio View Post
Hello! I was wondering if anyone can help me with my television dilemma. My family does not spend a lot of time in front of the television. The kids have everything that they need via the Wii on Netflix and HuluPlus which we subscrible to. I was thinking of ditching the dish because it seems silly to pay so much for my ABC/WMUR news viewing pleasure. I was thinking of getting one of those converter boxes for that and maybe PBS if it's available. Does anyone else do this? Is it possible. I know nothing about it except what I heard in 2009 when the analog/digital switch went on... Thanks!
Here is a tool to make an estimate of what is available OTA.
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
Put in your zip code to start then you can move the cursor and zoom to your location. Reception is highly location dependent. On the west side if welch we get 8.1/8.2 ABC Portland (reflection off MT Major) and from VT 31.1 NBC and 41.1/41.2/41.3 PBS.

We have a digital TV, antenna on roof with mast and pre-amp, VHF high band Yagi for ch 8 and separate high gain UHF antenna.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
IslandRadio

Your ability to receive off the air signals depends on:

1) Your elevation above the average terrain (or should I say, the antenna's elevation about average terrain)

2) Your distance from the station(s) you wish to receive

3) The antenna gain, antenna mounted preamp gain and noise figure (if you use one) and the sensitivity of the TV receiver.

If you live on a hill and put the antenna up high as well, you will get good signals unless you are very far from the transmitting facilities.

Where I live, I get Boston, Providence RI, a lot from New Hampshire, and sometimes Springfield, MA. The location is 45 miles West-North-West of Boston, and is on a hilltop. The antenna is in the attic of a 2 storey house, with a rotator and an antenna mounted preamp.

The only think I can honestly say that we miss are the Red Sox games, because they are only available on pay TV.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Rich

I was trying to have this discussion with another boatsman, but it seems that there still is a lot of confusion as to what people need to be able to receive digital over the air TV signals. I guess most people pay for cable, or satelite or internet these days so most are not sure about what works for OTA digital TV signals.

Here's what I was trying to ask, perhaps someone here can answer it:

If you have the proper equipment, that is a digital TV capable of receiving an OTA digital TV signal, and a typical 'marine' TV antenna, are there any OTA (over the air) digital TV signals that are strong enough to be viewed on the lake. So that means the TV antenna will be a compromise and at about 7 or 8 feet above the lake level.

So in other words, does anyone have any luck watching live TV any more while on their boat either on the lake or at their dock/mooring?

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital TV so I can't test this myself without spending money. And I don't want to spend any money only to find out that there are no signals strong enough in the lake area to be received.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
Island Girl

Default Three Channels

On the broads side of Rattlesnake Island I receive three Portland, ME channels, 6-1, 8-1, 13-1 which correspond to ABC, CBS and NBC (not necessarily in that order) I also receive the -2 versions of those stations with are weather and other irrelevant channels.

It took a while to point the antenna properly, but they come in beautifully.

I don't have a TV on my little boat so cannot tell you from where else this works.

I cannot get WMUR. Perhaps another location on the lake will get that.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
SIKSUKR

Here is a pretty rough guesstimate chart put out by the FCC.Put in the location in the upper left box and wait till it searches your area.The possible signal strengths of each potential channel will pop up after a short wait.
nhboat61 (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Here is a pretty rough guesstimate chart put out by the FCC.Put in the location in the upper left box and wait till it searches your area.The possible signal strengths of each potential channel will pop up after a short wait.
According to this tool, signals in Smith Cove will be:

WMTW ABC channel 8-1 will be Moderate
WCSH NBC channel 6-1 will be Weak
WENH PBS channel 11-1 will be Weak

They also list, WCMU (CBS 13-1), WMUR (ABC 9-1), WVTA (PBS 41-1) and WNNE (NBC 31-1) as NO SIGNAL.

It's interesting that if I use the tool to look at the signal at the Broads, there are more stations that can be seen with a weak signal (including WMUR channel 9-1).

I'd still like to know if any boat equiped with digital TVs can receive any of these signals using a typical on boat antenna (not a home based directional antenna).
Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Mt Washington

If you have clear site of Mt Washington such as along the Gilford side of the Broads, you can get WMTW (8.1,8.5). Supposedly, according to FCC, Belknap County is WMUR market and therefore the cable companies cannot broadcast the Maine stations. With an HD antenna, anyone in Belknap County with sight of Mt Washington can get WMUR. Is the FCC going to confiscate our antennae?

Last edited by BroadHopper; 05-23-2013 at 06:23 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #33
Rich

Haven't you seen these flying around lately:

They are looking for you!

You will know for sure that they are coming to confiscate your antenna when you hear the black helicopters!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I have DirecTV and do not get WMUR in HD. I was wondering if anyone up here gets it over the air by means of a standard HD antennae rather than by cable. I know they only broadcast in 720 but that is better than the SD I get now.

Thanks
The original post way year 2009.

If one has Direct TV and wants HD one would need an HD Direct TV receiver and newer television. Direct TV charges extra - or used to - for HD. If you have an older Direct TV dish that might have to be upgraded also. If so this may initiate a new 2 year contract.

But back to the original question.

Does anyone in the big lake area receive channel 9 (WMUR) by antenna?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote