Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
TCC

Default Phone coverage in Wolfeboro/Ossipee area?

I'm hoping someone here will know. Other than Verizon, are there any wireless carriers that have solid phone coverage in the Wolfeboro/Ossipee area?

Thanks.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

We had AT&T for a couple years, and it worked well in the whole of the Lakes Region. We moved back to Verizon recently because AT&T seemed to get worse at my wife's school back in MA.

Having used both recently, I think they're very close in terms of coverage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
TCC (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Other side of the cellar bands

Back in the roaming days of cell service, I had a flip phone with U S Cellular and had good coverage all around the lake EXCEPT in the Alton area.

Coverage up through Conway and Jackson was quite good given terrain problems that all companies had back then.

I believe U S Cellular got bought out by Sprint, but not positive.

Dave
Old 12-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
burgerunh

I have verizon and a camp at ossipee lake. Coverage is great until it gets to be a busy summer weekend up there. Then you can't get data for the life of you. I'm not sure if other carriers have similar issues. It's almost like the verizon towers get overwhelmed.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
I have verizon and a camp at ossipee lake. Coverage is great until it gets to be a busy summer weekend up there. Then you can't get data for the life of you. I'm not sure if other carriers have similar issues. It's almost like the verizon towers get overwhelmed.
My *guess* is that you're being deprioritized. Do you have a "premium unlimited" plan?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My *guess* is that you're being deprioritized.

Agree. I'm in Tuftonboro about 150 ft above lake level and have a direct line of sight to the tower near Gunstock. Starting in the summer of 2019 I had decent service until around 7 or 8 AM. After that, service slowly started degrading (people waking up on the more densely populated side of the lake, businesses opening, etc.). In the summer it was much worse and holidays like the 4th, forget about it. Finally installed a cell booster which helped....a little.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
DotRat (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Quote:
My *guess* is that you're being deprioritized.

Agree. I'm in Tuftonboro about 150 ft above lake level and have a direct line of sight to the tower near Gunstock. Starting in the summer of 2019 I had decent service until around 7 or 8 AM. After that, service slowly started degrading (people waking up on the more densely populated side of the lake, businesses opening, etc.). In the summer it was much worse and holidays like the 4th, forget about it. Finally installed a cell booster which helped....a little.
So, the booster and deprioritization would be different. A booster would help if signal strength was low whereas deprioritization is when certain users have less, or slower, access to the network.

A few years back, I'd posted a bunch about this when our prepaid Verizon service essentially stopped working for that summer and I spent hours working with their techs to find the "problem" when they could've just told me it's because I had the lowest tiered service and, when the network was congested, I'd be last to be given access (this page seems to have the best information with regards to the hierarchical order of priority: https://coveragecritic.com/mobile-ph...prioritization). (Of course they don't want to be honest and say, "our prepaid network blows in busy areas.")

Anyhow, I'd researched and discovered that AT&T's network is usually less congested because they have fewer overall users and their first responder bandwidth is shared with consumers when not being used. For two summers, we had great AT&T prepaid for, like, $97 for three phones with plenty of data (15GB w/rollover or something).

This past fall, my wife's school started using texting to communicate more often to deal with staffing shortages, absences, etc. and AT&T just wasn't working, so we switched over to Verizon again (her colleagues were having good luck with Verizon, otherwise we would've tried T-Mobile first).

When signing up for Verizon, we chose one of the unlimited plans which now comes with Hulu and Disney, so, even though we pay $130/mth. for three phones unlimited, we get a $15 value out of those for a net increase of $18.

We've not really noticed much difference in coverage, but Verizon is certainly faster when signal is strong.

Finally, since we got them towards the end of the season, I have no idea if having the "premium" tier plan will avoid the problems we had during peak times a few summers ago. I do know that I'll have to install a signal booster as the metal roof of my porch and camp crush the signal strength.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
bobkatfly

Quote:
So, the booster and deprioritization would be different. A booster would help if signal strength was low whereas deprioritization is when certain users have less, or slower, access to the network.
Think, my understanding of deprioritization is that it is directly related to congestion regardless of network plan levels. Now if one has a higher tier plan, during congestion you would still have a usable signal, just lower.
Prior to the area becoming congested (7-8 AM) or weekend holidays, I had usable signals on the order of -85 to -90 dBm. Afterwards, that would drop to under -100 or become completely non existent. After installing the booster I consistently saw -70 to -85 or so. It took some effort to dial it in because it was a YAGI antenna.
What I can't figure out is why I didn't have any problems prior to 2019. Was 5G construction being started?

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...prioritization

BTW, I also had AT&T then.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Quote:
Think, my understanding of deprioritization is that it is directly related to congestion regardless of network plan levels. Now if one has a higher tier plan, during congestion you would still have a usable signal, just lower.
Prior to the area becoming congested (7-8 AM) or weekend holidays, I had usable signals on the order of -85 to -90 dBm. Afterwards, that would drop to under -100 or become completely non existent. After installing the booster I consistently saw -70 to -85 or so. It took some effort to dial it in because it was a YAGI antenna.
What I can't figure out is why I didn't have any problems prior to 2019. Was 5G construction being started?

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...prioritization

BTW, I also had AT&T then.
As best I can tell from my research and experience, it has nothing to do with signal strength and everything to do with your placement on the network hierarchy. For example, during that day my prepaid Verizon service wasn't working, a friend who had "premium-tiered" service could use his phone normally. It was a tad slower—Spotify had to load for a second before playing—but mine was unusable.

Essentially, during congested times, premium users are treated differently than prepaid, MVNOs, etc. That link I provided goes into detail.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
bobkatfly

Well, I had the AT&T unlimited plus plan. 2 lines each with 15 GB hotspot which I needed to give laptops access. I guess I considered it a premium plan but maybe it wasnt.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #11
thinkxingu

I would definitely think you wouldn't be deprioritized with that level plan, but I don't know enough about AT&T's plan levels since I only ever had prepaid (which is absolutely second-tier!).