Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Y2K

Default Help for our kid-less vacation in New Hampshire

Hello New Hampshire people. The wife and I are doing a kid-less NH vacation June 24 thru the 27th. We are staying around Tilton the 25th -27th and haven't decided where on the 24th.

Two questions, since we are from Connecticut:
  1. The 24th is our 19th anniversary. Looking for ideas of a place to stay the night and a romantic place for dinner (could be the same place).
  2. What are some good wineries and breweries we should try to hit (must be open on weekdays) while we are in NH? Hopefully Twin Barns will be open, and I am eyeing Moonlight Meadery and Sap House Meadery in Ossipee.
  3. Any other ideas for a couple that hasn't had a kid-less vacation in 9 years, and is spending it in New Hampshire?
I know the Laconia/Tilton area well (we vacation in Laconia every 2 years) but not much outside of there. Thank you!
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2K For This Useful Post:
bman60 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Kid-less vacation

In Wolfeboro you might try the Pickering House Inn on South Main Street. I should warn you, it is pricey, but it is very nice, downtown Wolfeboro is a very short walk, and the local merchants are readily accessible, and the dockside area.

Good luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Opechee Inn, great rooms and one of the best dining experiences in the lakes region. And it's not far from Tilton.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Opechee Inn, great rooms and one of the best dining experiences in the lakes region. And it's not far from Tilton.
"O" is a great restaurant there!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
"O" is a great restaurant there!
Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
patman

Not quite in the lakes region, but check out Stonehurst Manor in N. Conway...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Not quite in the lakes region, but check out Stonehurst Manor in N. Conway...
My wife and I stayed there last year for a childless weekend--very nice (though I do think a winter visit is better than somewhere on the lake).

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
The Real BigGuy

Breweries in Wolfeboro: Burnt Timber Brewing and; Lone Wolfe Brewing. Hobbs in Ossipee brews a good pint.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
ApS

Thumbs up Also a Short Walk to Town Docks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
In Wolfeboro you might try the Pickering House Inn on South Main Street. I should warn you, it is pricey, but it is very nice, downtown Wolfeboro is a very short walk, and the local merchants are readily accessible, and the dockside area. Good luck.
Is the Pickering House more expensive than B.O.A.T.?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

I just checked on “Room 1”. If you wanted it for tonight - $365/night! Yikes🤭

Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

When it opened they were advertising it at 400 a night with a two night minimum.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
winniplayhouse

The Winnipesaukee Playhouse will be showing the fabulous farce Moon Over Buffalo by Ken Ludwig starting June 26th. Hope to see you there! www.winnipesaukeeplayhouse.org
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winniplayhouse For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 1810 House, Wolfeboro

Check this out!

http://1810house.net/

Nice little B&B on a vineyard! The owner is a wonderful German woman!
Y2K (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Overlake97

Default Crystal Quail

For something very different, and definitely on the romantic side, look into the Crystal Quail in Center Barnstead for dinner. It's expensive ($75 fixed price per person), and you bring your own wine (no corking fee), but I'd say it's worth every penny. You absolutely have to have reservations, but I think you're reserving for the entire evening. We brought a friend there once from Seattle (a city with a LOT of good restaurants). The Quail's "hosts" treated us like royalty for the full 3 hours (!) that we lingered, and our friend can't stop talking about it.

http://crystalquail.com/home.html

https://www.yelp.com/biz/crystal-qua...sq=Restaurants

See Yelp reviews (link above), for a sense of what this place is all about. [Note: Not a single review less than 5 stars].

Last edited by Overlake97; 06-05-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add Yelp link.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Check this out!

http://1810house.net/

Nice little B&B on a vineyard! The owner is a wonderful German woman!
That looks like a GREAT place, and the prices are very reasonable. May have to check it out with my wife next winter!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
bkmakec

Default Wolfeboro plug

Wolfeboro is definitely one of the all-time quaint towns in the Lakes Region. Highly recommend at least a 1/2 day there, if not a stay there. Be sure to check out Yum Yum Shop for pastries/coffee/ice cream, Lydia's Cafe for a killer blueberry french toast, Full Belly Delli or Huck's Hoagies, and if you want to get out on the lake you can rent a boat from Goodhue & Hawkins.
bkmakec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkmakec For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
hd333

What about staying at Church Landing and spending the day in Meredith? Plenty of walkable shops and dining options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The 1810 House used to be part of the Allen A if you are old enough to remember it or have heard about it. Allen Albee, the owner lived there when he was alive.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
Major

Default Ledge Water Steakhouse

If you have time to travel a bit off the beaten path, you can't go wrong with the Ledge Water Steakhouse in Bristol. We went there on Friday night with friends who live in the area and have never been to LWS. They were blown away. The steaks were awesome that particular evening. I had the ribeye which was fantastic. The views of Newfound Lake are great as well.

One caution - be patient. Took a while for our drinks, but overall the service was good. In the heat of the season though, service can be tough.

Good luck!
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-05-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
Y2K

Thank you all for the ideas. It came down to the 1810 House and the Hotel Concord. We decided on the Hotel Concord's Romance package mostly due to it being in an area we haven't been to before and getting the dinner voucher at the steakhouse.

We have both been busy marking up brewery and winery maps with locations/days open/hours so we can maximize our tours. The 24th can not come quick enough.

Again, thank you all. If you have any other special spots, quirky locations, or just favorite little stops you recommend please do not hesitate to post!

See you soon.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #21
Winnigirl83

Gotta check out Chuck's BARbershop. It's a speakeasy. Great spot! Let us know what you think!
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnigirl83 For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #22
rick35

If you’re in Moultonborough check out the Country Store. We spent a weekend at the Center Harbor Inn back in April and had never stopped until then. It’s jammed full of interesting stuff.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
Y2K (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
If you’re in Moultonborough check out the Country Store. We spent a weekend at the Center Harbor Inn back in April and had never stopped until then. It’s jammed full of interesting stuff.
… and the museum upstairs

plus cup and crumb is right up the street
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
Y2K

Default After Action Report

Thank you all again for your suggestions. This will be a little long:
  • 6/24/19 (our 19 year anniversary)
*Drove up from CT.
*Hit The Moonlight Meadery in Londonderry on the way thru. VERY good place, I love their Meade, and they are available in CT. Highly recommended.
*Next we stopped at LaBelle Winery in Bedford. Beautiful place. They appear to be well setup for large events. Did a tasting and the wife took home a few bottles.
*Stayed at The Hotel Concord in Concord . Lovely hotel. Had a room on the top floor with a great view. The Romance Package was affordable and included champagne in the room w/chocolate and $80 towards "O" Steak + Seafood in the hotel.
*Checked in and then took a walk around Main Street Concord. Cool town.
*Dinner at "O" was good. Beer seemed quite overpriced but overall we were happy.
*Unfortunately The SpeakEasy Chuck's BARbershop was closed on Monday. I need to give that place a try, nothing but positive reviews.
  • 6/25/19 - Rain all day
*Checked out, grabbed some 'Dunkin and headed over to the Mall of New Hampshire since it was a bit early for the wineries to be open. The Boss picked up a few things. Nice place.
*Went to Zorvino Winery in Sandown. We had been here before years ago. Good wines, and we sat outside under the covered porch to eat some lunch and have a glass before moving on. Wife bought a $30 bottle of wine just because she liked the moon shaped bottle (no idea what the wine tastes like)
*Next up was Flagg Hill Winery and Distillery in Lee. Last time we were there you could do EITHER the wine tasting or the spirit tasting, now you can mix. Wife stuck to wines while I tried some spirits. Absolutely LOVE their Maple Liquor (always have several bottles at home), and the Raspberry Liquor was very good. This stop hit the wallet pretty hard
*On the way to Steele Hill we stopped at Kettlehead Brewing in Tilton (finally, a brewery). Great little brewery. Did a tasting flight and grabbed some pretzel bites to snack on. Took home a 6 pack of their
Hefeweizen
*Checked into Steele Hill in Sanborton (2 nights here). We split a timeshare with my in-laws so we have been here before. Recommend highly, the biggest issue is it takes 10 minutes just to get back to Route 3/Lacona from the top of the hill. Large indoor swimming pool with a good size slide in the new section.
*Met up with my Lumberjack friends Billy (Stihl Series competitor) and Kendall (1st ever woman's Stihl Series Champion) at the Holy Grail Irish Pub in Epping. The food here was EXCELLENT, and it's built inside an old church. Cool experience. (Side note; I announce Lumberjack shows around New England, including the at the Merrimack Busch Brewery)
  • 6/26/19 - Sunny and beautiful
*Had breakfast at a local diner, then drove around Winni to Wolfboro.
*Walked around a bit, then took a trip on the Mount Washington to Weirs Beach and back. I need to stop going on the boats, they make me want to sell everything so I can get a place on the lake
*Hit up Lone Wolf Brewing in Wolfboro. Great beers, laid back vibe. Took home a pack of their Amaranthine beer. Visit this place if your into beer!
*Next up was Winnipesaukee Winery in Wolfboro. This is also where the 1810 House B+B is. The winery was not open, but the lovely woman who runs it all came out anyway and let us do a tasting. Unique wines, and the owner could not have been nicer! Just based on talking with hew we will definitely stay at the 1810 House next time we have a chance. It sounds like many nights she invites guest from the B+B down the winery to finish off bottles that were opened for tastings . Also found a walking stick in the antique shop for my son to replace the one I had custom made that got broke during our last Cub Scout camp out.
*Drove up to Ossippe to try out Sap House Meadery. A little spot off the beaten path. Free tastings and it looked like their food was popular as there were people picking up take out. Many different styles of Meade. I did not like them as much as Moonlight, but that is mostly because I tend to like sweeter Meade.
*On the way back to Winni we stopped at Hobbs Tavern & Brewing Company in West Ossippe. This was a disappointment. They were out of half their beers, to the point that they didn't have enough to do a full tasting flight without beers from national sources. I grabbed a pint of their stout (was OK) and moved on.
*Tried to stop at Hermit Woods Winery in Merideth, but they had just closed early for a staff outing.
*Had dinner at the Town Docks in Merideth. Good Watermelon Sangria and food was decent (like always). Got there just before a huge rush of patrons lined up for tables
*Since we are all kids at heart, we had to stop at Fun Stop on the way thru. Played some old arcade games and some ticket games. The Nice thing is the ticket slips are good forever so we saved all the points we got from the tickets for when we come back next year with the kids.
*Pulled into Weirs Beach. Most of the stores were closed (wanted to grab a new Winni Shirt) but the Dive was open Sat up on the top and had a round of drinks. The drinks were VERY good. The slight rocking of the boat took a little getting used to, but I liked the vibe and the staff was friendly.
  • 6/27/19 - Sunny and beautiful
*Got up, packed and checked out
*Drove down the hill and had breakfast at Heritage Farm in Sanbornton. Wow, just wow. HUGE pancakes that come in a massive amount of flavors. Some of the best home-fries I've ever had. Whatever you don't eat they encourage you to feed to the chickens and goats in the back. Can't recommend this place enough.
*Drove back to Weirs Beach and did some shopping (I got my shirt )
*Hit up the outlets in Tilton for some shopping, then onto the highway for the long ride back (with a stop at the NH liquor store of course).

I have pictures, but I don't want to spam the forum. Maybe i'll find a place to post them and share.

It had been 9 years since we got away for more then 1 night without the kids and we had a blast. We will be back in 2020 for our family vacation either at Steele Hill in Sanborton or The Summit in Laconia. I love the Winni region and will one day figure out how to get a place on the lake.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Y2K For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-09-2019), Biggd (07-09-2019), Descant (07-09-2019), eillac@dow (07-09-2019), HAMPTONS (07-09-2019), jbolty (07-09-2019), KeepItSimple (07-09-2019), webmaster (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #25
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Thank you all again for your suggestions. This will be a little long:
  • 6/24/19 (our 19 year anniversary)
Excellent summary! Thanks for the follow up. Happy you had a nice time!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #26
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Awesome report on your trip!!! Instead of putting your photos in a thread you can post them to the forum gallery
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #27
The Real BigGuy

I have one question (and this is serious) - what the heck is Meade? I’ve seen it mentioned in the Bud Light commercials but have never seen it for sale. I saw one description as “barley wine.” Does it taste more like beer or wine?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #28
Phantom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead
Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #29
The Real BigGuy

So more of a wine taste I guess. And barley wine is the great grandfather of beer and nothing to do with Meade. Thanks

Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #30
Y2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
So more of a wine taste I guess. And barley wine is the great grandfather of beer and nothing to do with Meade. Thanks

Since it was mid-week, many of the breweries were not open. I guess the wine drinkers like to partake mid-week more then the brew crew

I don't recall seeing any Barley Wine anywhere we went.... I do love me some good Meade though, and Moonlight is about the best I have had
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #31
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Since it was mid-week, many of the breweries were not open. I guess the wine drinkers like to partake mid-week more then the brew crew

I don't recall seeing any Barley Wine anywhere we went.... I do love me some good Meade though, and Moonlight is about the best I have had
I'm reasonably sure they don't have meade or barley wine, but next time you are in Concord, take a swing through Lithermans Limited taproom. I'm not a big craft beer guy, but I really enjoy some of their flavors.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #32
Y2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I'm reasonably sure they don't have meade or barley wine, but next time you are in Concord, take a swing through Lithermans Limited taproom. I'm not a big craft beer guy, but I really enjoy some of their flavors.
Ugh, another one that was closed when we were in Concord. Looked great too!